- Thursday, the Ides of March
- Wellsir, I wanted to do something big for the Ides, but then I got distracted, and then I remembered that I already had an update waiting for nigh a month now, Personal Accounterbility Tagging and Tracking. This may be a much lesser update for visitors, but it sure has made me shape up in always trying to get at least something done every day. It generates some imagery for the main page, although it is technically customizable to slap on places like my dA.
- Wednesday, Leap Day
- Really wish I woulda paid more attention to Leap Day coming up so that I could have been less busy with boring stuff and more busy with interesting stuff. Regardless, today, this site uses no simple text includes! (This was relegated to a Perl-SSI function I made so that CGI files could have the same layout as the rest of the pages.) This means that RE is finally free of old bonds and can -- gasp -- get a new layout!
- Monday, the 13th
- Saturday, New Year's Eve
- There is stuff going on around here, but I keep getting tied up with unfortunate necessities like getting a new job. Still managed to get some more done for Plush, tho', including loading levels from an XML file. The idea is to make user-generated levels (don't worry, not with raw XML) a very real possibility.
- Wednesday, the 30th
- I sorta did this a while ago offline, but I have finally uploaded a different page format (server-side, that is) for automatic headers and footers. It was sort of ridiculous to parse an entire page when only the first and last lines ever have any variability. This also fixed some pages I accidentally broke when I moved into the embedded Perl instead of SSI. Whoops.
- Monday, the 19th
- Avast, me hearties! 'Tis that time o' the year againe to gum like an ol' scalliwag! I know I've celebrated International Talk Like A Pirate Day before on this site, but I often forget this favorite of my fanbase. That, or I misplace or otherwise botch the code to get it out and up in time. Well, no more! I gots meself a handy-dandy Perl module to Swiss-army-knife the translations in with nothing more than a simple include. Ah, Perl. Is there anything it can't do? So, no excuses for me from now on.
- Sunday, the 31st
- Welp, I have actually been working on the new HTML5 project, now codenamed Plush. I was kinda worried that I did not make enough visible changes to seem like anything changed at all -- until I played the previous version up at this site. Yeah, I think things are coasting along.
I need to get a feed up for this thing and possibly a dev log like I did for Kirbj (since that worked wonders for interest in that project~!). If I don't sink more time in trying to get that stream attack to look just right making a different HTML5 game with this engine (which, I of course, did~!), there should a fully playable -- if short -- game out in a month.
- Thursday, the 30th
- Did you know that Reality's End turned twelve years old this month? Did you know that it happened on the very first of this month? Did you also know that Reality's End has an anniversary curse? If none of the above, I guess you just learned a lot.
While I normally do not like to go into the various badnesses that befall me or my site around the first of June (rampant sickness, among others!), this time, it concerns a rather large stretch of time and this site, and is not just general whinery.
Some time last year, I started to get on a fix-up kick. Believe it or not, I stuck to that goal. I have been hard at work trying to get this place as advanced as possible behind the scenes, working with a purchased server instead of my own personal machine (which is becoming an increasingly limiting factor, by the way). Of course, no one wants to hear about technical updates. I know this. That is why I have been working on actual new features, too.
Yup, I have been working on new content. Game content. That is a fact. Releasing, on the other hand...
If you look at the most recent releases on Reality's End, it is mostly revamps and duds. Sure, the revamps were good, but nothing new. Shadow Aura is about the only standout in its day, and even that has fallen out of member favor.
For the most part, I have just been producing effort sinks like REWS and GraFight. This is not even to mention that fan site I wasted nigh-on three years at. At least REWS has archives and GraFight could become something. I actually purged my changes from Rainbow Resort in spite. That's negative effort.
Because of this track record, I have been trying to make the next RE release something big. I keep flip-flopping on how I think it will be received, and then I pull the plug. Sometimes, things just don't work out. I was working on a watered-down Incarnate recently for two-player realtime battle, but every AI run I did showed that it was fundamentally flawed.
And that was supposed to be for the anniversary.
I know things are desolate around here, and that is coming from a guy who has always admitted his site is barren. Reality's End is in desperate need. This is becoming less about making a smash-hit and more about making anything to stave off the hunger pangs.
I didn't have much time, but I did get a vague idea. And have a lot of unreleased code that I could mangle together. I couldn't get anything appropriate done yet, but all the pieces are there, waiting to become something more than just a crude debugging demo.
For now, a crude debugging demo will have to do. At long last, news darling To-Po gets a chance to shine. The mechanics and graphics are all there right now, but one day soon, you will be able to Make This Game.