- Sunday, the 22nd
- I have rid of all SSI on the site. Now, all of the standard pages on Reality's End use some custom coding, which I did develop last year but finally got around to doing a complete rewrite of the site. Now all I have left is reworking the Perl pages, which unfortunately, make up the bulk of RE. But, hey, at least then, I shall finally be able to make layout changes that involve dynamic content.
- Thursday, the 28th
- I finally have the RSS running back in proper order: the main forums feed now aggregates everything featured on the forums page -- including REWS, Grafight, and now the miscellaneous discussions -- and all of the exploded feeds are remaining as a sort of more focused (and stagnant) historical feeds.
Keep in mind that nothing was broken; separating the feeds was just a bad idea. I mean, who wants to subscribe to a bunch of RSS from the same site for items all listed on the same page?
- Wednesday, the 30th
- I've recorded another one of them Kirbj capture sessions. Normally, that is far from front page worthy, but this required redoing all of the capturing mechanisms for Linux. It also actually involves some semblance of video editing, too.
- Monday, the 31st
- Hey, guess what's been broken since July? The RSS feed! Why am I always the last to know about these things? This place musta looked frozen since mid-summer (which actually isn't that far from the truth). I was doing general improvements to the thing, and had to cut my additions short due to that unbeknownst problem. The forums list much better now, tho'. Restricted forums show up now -- new post notifications, just no content.
- Tuesday, the 30th
- In an effort to make this site more type-in-random-junk-and-it-works appropriate, the Updates section now accepts calendar years for its sortingness. That, and the archives are sorted in a more automated manner.
- Sunday, Halloween
- Y'know what doesn't get enough love on this site? Besides, y'know, 'bout everything anymore? My artwork, as sporadic as it may be. Well, I'm changing that, starting today, with some linky-love over at the side to my recent (mostly dA) artistic endevours. Not like there is much else to report over there recently.
- Thursday, the 30th
- Two little things have been bugging me recently about the site. The first is the bottom scrollbar which appears on many pages when using a Webkit browser (like Epiphany/chrome). So, I killed it. The second is the non-transparent background on the favicon, which is displayed like crazy in Ice Weasel/firefox. (Wow, my Linux alternatives sure are affecting my views of things). RE just looks out of place with its big black box. Of course, I don't know how long it will take the favicon to refresh. Viewing it directly seems to help.
- Tuesday, the 31st
- This month, RE was reintroduced to Grafight, only to rediscover how much people ignore it. Yeee. I've given it some work, updating its linking structure and embettering its styles for wider browser support.
That, plus the starts of the new RE layout engine (which is why Grafight pages mysteriously have their page title preceding "Reality's End" instead of coming after).
- Saturday, the 31st
- There's a brand new Reality's End in town -- which is strangely just the old Reality's End. And "town" is just my local machine. That's right; I've finally un-lazied enough to set up an Apache server on my own PC, which will allow me to mirror everything at the live site without worrying about horribly botching things for the visitors.
- Tuesday, the 1st
- Did you know Reality's End has an anniversary curse? Yup, every year 'round this time, the first of June, something bad will happen to me or this site. This time around? Me making a big speech about how to expect big things and being stiffed on my internet access for well beyond how long it shoulda taken to get things set up. Got my modem in the mail after two days; took four weeks to get my internet up. Oy.
So, in what rushed fashion I could, I got rid of all the extensions on non-dynamic pages. No mo' SSI for this site! I also changed the directories for the RE League and BD to the much more fitting /league and /bd. Don't worry; all of your bookmarks and old links will still work.
Finally, I killed off the splash page. The last anniversary pic had been around for a year without getting updated; I think Reality's End finally outlived the usefulness of that thing.
Wow, what a sucktastic eleven years this day turned out to be~!