- Friday, the 30th
- It has probably been no secret that this last year has been rough for Reality's End -- and that is taking into consideration the fact that the past few years have already been on a decline. Between the rampant unemployment for most the time and virtual lack of any internet connectivity in recent months, it is no news that this site hasn't been getting my full attention. Hel, other sites have been getting more attention than here, and I own this freakin' place!
I am coming up on my eleventh year, and I don't have any intentions of slowing down. On the contrary, with my new job and new digs, I hope to have this place all spit-shined up and revamped the way I've wanted it for years now. I mean, this blutty layout was deemed "temporary" when I implemented it, and that was years ago.
Working elsewhere has made me realize just how much I've let RE slip and slide. As I work on more compiled code as opposed to web-based projects, I'm also seeing a lot of shoddy programming. I know I can do better. No, scratch that -- I have done better. Why are these people posting their stuff online and corrupting the internet's fresh minds then?
The technologies I use to make this place have long been outdated. The internet has changed, I have changed, and even my blutty server has changed. I can do so much more, akin to the stuff that led me to web development in the first place. I want to post journals about the finer sides of pomegranates and other fruits I try just for the hey of it. I want people to get programming advice that is actually good and -- shock -- from a programmer. I want to post games without first thinking "No, that will never work with RE's current fan base (or lack thereof)."
And I want number eleven to be that year.
- Wednesday, the 31st
- I have finally pushes through some much needed speed updates to the Kirbj games. Not only should the applets run faster and smoother than ever, but they should also work more consistently across a wider variety of platforms. Y'know, what Java is always supposed to do anyway. Stupid Java...
- Sunday, the 28th
- Friday, the 29th
- Not dead; just jobless -- and for far too long at that. Desperately trying not to be jobless delayed other planned updates, so instead, you get another sendover to KRR with its Next-In-Line collaborative fiction writer. And yes, that is the third or fifth (depending on how you count) IAS program I've made.
There was also, like, an embedded Perl interpreter I made to replace the SSI on this site, but you don't care about that, right?
- Saturday, Boxing Day
- Be proud, you crazy Cannucks. For the first time ever since long promised, Reality's End is celebrating Boxing Day in addition to the Christmas giveaway, which means all of the leftovers will be given away in droves!
- Tuesday, the 17th
- It is a dark, dark day for Reality's End... which makes its first upload to a YouTube channel featuring video capture of this site's software. A user uploading user-generated content? That's not what YouTube is about! Bring on low-quality TV broken into tiny and annoying chunks~!
- Tuesday, the 3rd
- Already on a better roll than last month (or year, even~!), today marks the release of Tuesday Knight Titans, the next installment of the Dream Land Java game series! I promise never to have this much of a delay in releases again. Mostly 'cause I'll never promise when something will come out again.
- Saturday, Halloween
- I find it very strange that I have never given my Storybook any linky-love. It is the other kind of interactive story in which the reader makes choices which effect the outcome, although much more intensive than a paper version or some you might have seen at other sites. I programmed it on Rainbow Resort quite some time ago, and it is almost a game. This so totally isn't only being posted because I couldn't get the next Kirbj released by the end of October. Not even.
- Saturday, the 19th
- Avast, me mateys! Fer the first time evarrr, Reality's End be celebratin' International Talk Like A Pirate Day in grand fashion. Yer beloved landlubber talk has been replaced by the eloquent tongue of a sea dawg! Arrrrrrr!
- Tuesday, the 15th
- Just to prove that I don't always not do nuthin' around here, I am pleased to announce I have have undertaken URL prettying! After plotting, planning, and subsequently debugging, I implemented extensionless and queryless URLs for the Kirbj and its Dev Log. It is a pain to make sure none of the old links break while making all of the new links look like regular ol' files. All of this SHTML stuff has been holding RE back quick a bit; I would actually make RE less interactive just 'cause I didn't like the way the cgi-bin make the links look!
- Saturday, the 22nd
- So just where have I been? Not idle, that's for sure. I've been donating my services to Kirby's Rainbow Resort, the largest Kirby fansite on the entire internet. Well, I mean, I have been coding for them well over a year now, but I just now got on the recognized staff. Because it isn't just one person and his Notepad working over there, they need all sorts of coded gizmos, plus some other fun stuff I make along the way. Hey, it is me, we're talking about, right?
- Thursday, the 9th
- Today marks the Ten Year Anniversary of Battling Dragons. It has come a long way from the simple animated GIF of a Nidhogg that nobody wanted. Such an achievement is in special need of a deserving memorial, something which typifies everything the game embodied lo this past decade of its existance.
It doesn't just need something good; it needs the best. And I can't keep it to myself, oh my no. It must be shared. You're welcome.
- Tuesday, the 7th
- At long last, Grafight has a battle in it! It was in desperate need of one, too, since said action was required before I could link it up to the forums. (And rig one of those blutty RSS feeds to it, as well.) Now, its comments and battle announcements appear in there, just like fellow hated feature, REWS~!
- Tuesday, the 30th
- Bookending this month is a update which allows DevLog snippets to be posted on regular pages. It is a rather irregular and useless section, so maybe this-a-way, people will at least know when it is updated without, y'know, having to go there.
- Monday, the 1st
- Celebrating a decade of Reality's End online with a ten-day splash page! The image represents every feature ever included on this site, which -- as it turns out -- is a lot. It isn't just laziness in finishing it all at once, honest~!