Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 29, 2024 5:10 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: R.E. League :: RBY Gyms

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
wes2new

Member #66

Oct 13, 2011 10:54
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I had some spare time on my hands the last few days so I created a new RE account and started playing through the RE League again.
  I also decided to compile a list of all of the gyms and their statuses while I was at it.
  Alas there's nowhere left to buy water stones and therefore the legendaries quest is broken. (Bug Report! Pie?)

EDIT: A lot of the gyms we have lose may be recoverable via the Internet Archive's wayback machine

KEY:

1 = Site Up, Gym Up
  x = Site down or Gym missing (See Comments)

RE League Land Across The Sea Gyms In Order:

REX RANARUM
  Maelstrom 1 (Duh!)

GUARDIAN CHAMPIONS
  Kllen x Site nonexistant
  Sapphire 1
  Digital x geocities
  Venom 1
  Prism 1
  Chance 1
  Desert x Flash Walkaround is up but all the battle pages are down.
  Elite Crystal x Defaults to www.cjb.net

ADEPT TRAINERS
  Myst x geocities
  Harmony x Page up...gym Nowhere to be found
  Radiance x Page up...dead link after first password
  Angel 1
  DarkShadow 1
  NightStalker geocities
  WildFlower 1
  Coralia page exists but flat page, no links, says no tresspassing, code reveals no hidden links
  DragonsFang 1
  Matrix 1
  Sherbet 1
  FlamesOfRoyalty geocities
  Electro 1
  Verde 1
  ChronoScepter x

RISING FACTION
  Hydro (x) Site up gym link improperly embedded
  Alpha 1
  DarkAura 1
  YingYang x Site nonexistant
  Intelligence 1
  Juggernaut 1
  Darkness 1
  PalmCove 1
  Apocalypse 1
  Techno x angelfire site not found error
  Maserous 1
  Destruction 1
  Arctic 1
  FireanLeaf 1
  Bones 1
  VampireDarkness
  Rust 1
  MagnaFlame x geocities
  Smash x geocities
  DragonSlayer x geocities
  Compass x Site up gym page empty
  FireShell 1
  Zaber 1
  BigBang x site suspended
  Gambler 1
  Diablo x site nonexistant
  FlashFire x geocities
  Renegade x site not found from webhost
  Power 1
  Rare x site up all links broken (code improperly embedded. wordpress template...)
  Amethyst x geocities
  DarkStorm x geocities
  BlackBlood 1
  Randomness x geocities
  GreenStar x webhost - page not found
  FlameOfLight x Not Found
  Defence 1
  FireStorm 1
  GreenHat x Not Found
  GreenPine x geocities
  Sea x site up link to gym page results in page not found
  DragonHorn 1
  Triad 1
  Illusionist x not avaliable error
  Evolution x geocities
  Pyroforce x geocities
  MoonWolf 1
  FourD x 404 error
  Ebony 1
  Crimson x geocities
  Guardian x geocities
  ShadowField x geocities
  RainbowSun x geocities
  SuperStar x R/B/Y gym seems missing or inaccessable
  CanisLupus x geocities
  Emrald x geocities
  DarkEyes 1 (Hey that's me!)
  Hurricane 1
  Hikari 1
  ThunderBird x geocities
  Nadare x gym link leads to hosting service's page

All Testing was done on a Windows 7 machine using the latest Google Chrome browser (Webkit)

Visit the DarkEyes gym
  Darkness Approaches

[Edited by wes2new on Oct 13, 2011 10:56]

[Edited by wes2new on Oct 13, 2011 15:03]
MintMan

Member #1

Oct 13, 2011 18:11
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wow, I haven't done a purge since GeoCities went dead? I know have done one in recent years. Maybe it has to do with the influx in gyms being so low that I don't bother to keep up on the outflux.

I do not really consider a gym recovered through Wayback Machine; if the site isn't maintained, then there really isn't much a point to their gym. I mean, if we just wanted things to beat up, I could implement a "Hey, make a gym story!" thing and have a slew of them hosted on Reality's End so that they'll never die.

... wait, actually, that probably isn't such a bad idea. Especially since this purge is going to take the numbers down quite a bit.

I also have a way to track which gyms are more dead than others (last defeat date), as well as the links used to reach the gym battle itself, so things like CJB redirects are no matter.

Great, and I had things to do tonight. Oh, no wait, I was just going to watch Community.

"The dog must have took a bullet for the kid, and then took the shooter's finger off. Anyone ever love you that much?" ~ Detective Crews, Life
wes2new

Member #66

Oct 13, 2011 19:25

I was almost going to suggest something along those lines even if its hosted on an old beater computer/half-assed server on a home internet connection. RE traffic seems so low at the moment that you could probably run a number of gyms off such a setup without having to worry much.

Shifty Eyes *glances around at the ten or so spare computers cluttering up his workshop* Shifty Eyes

As far as the Wayback Machine, using the gym as they are preserved there doesn't seem to work, but i found a project called Warrick that can rebuild websites from the Wayback Machine's archive as well as from cached data from google, yahoo, and bing.

But again if there is nobody to maintain them then its not much more than cannon fodder for the rest of us. There are enough gyms that are still live that haven't been updated since 2002-05 as it is without resurrecting the dead.

Also, I know you disdain social networking but would still suggest you create a facebook fan page for Realitysend.com. If only to increase traffic and reach more of those people who would be interested in your awesome games.

As for purging the gyms, correct me if i am wrong but the radiance gym leader atleast is still active in the forums here isn't he, so perhaps he can fix the bug in his gym atleast.

Sorry to make more work for you but I really do think that the RE League is Awesome and worth saving.

I'm no great programmer but if you need something tested or even hosting something on a subdomain of one of my sites, I'd be happy to help.

BTW. It would be nice to have access to the Gym Leader's board at the very least!

[Edited by wes2new on Oct 13, 2011 19:34]

[Edited by wes2new on Oct 13, 2011 20:12]

[Edited by wes2new on Oct 13, 2011 20:13]
MintMan

Member #1

Oct 13, 2011 20:41

Things can easily just be slapped on the Reality's End domain, with much less flexibility than a regular site host. Of course, if someone wanted that (and I typically find that they don't), they could just get a real site host. Most just plop out flat links and let the battles do the talkin'.

Facebook and the like sort of sites only create artificial interest and traffic. For one, Facebookers like things like Don't-Sue-Us-It's-Not-Called Scrabble (slow phone multiplayer) and Farmville (talentless grind). In order for a Facebook group to be successful, you actually have to promote it, too, which given the amount of promotion I give this site in general, would be an unnecessary step.

I mean, if I actually had something done-up as a Facebook app, yeah, I could see getting a page there then.

"I give up." ~ Virginia
  "The three sweetest words in the English language." ~ Ross, Raising Hope

[Edited by MintMan on Oct 13, 2011 21:49]
wes2new

Member #66

Oct 13, 2011 21:41

I think your right about facebook users in general, unfortunately. But not all facebook users are idiots with chronic ADHD. (farmville...meh got into it for a little while, realized WTF is the point of this, got out). My sites are hosted on some server that my mother (Web Designer/Web Host) owns part of. I figured you could probably add to the RE domain, but again, if I can help just say so.

And don't pick on chrome TOO much, it beats the living s*** out of IE and every version of firefox that I have used just seems to run inefficiently.
  I'll try his site in IE or something though.

My Website is in DIRE need of updates/ expansion, I just can't figure out which of my ideas to implement. oy...

EDIT: OMG you promoted me! (WaterStones are now for sale!)

DarkEyes Gym Leader
  HTTP://gym.justin-newman.com

Owner/Lead Tech
  Just-In-Time Technology Services
  HTTP://www.justintimetechnology.com

[Edited by wes2new on Oct 13, 2011 21:48]
MintMan

Member #1

Oct 13, 2011 21:49

Whoops, I edited my post just as you left a response to it.

Boyachi's Radiance Gym actually works; the password doesn't. I have yelled at him before for this. Since passwords are disallowed under REL rules, he has secret links in the underlined text which lead to the next scene. Thataway, you don't need to password. Quite frankly, I think a better scheme would be to tell you where to click instead of giving out a stupid password. A battle is usually faster than hovering over every word, anyway.

Okay, I've fixed up all of the higher ranks (and added one to the higher ranks Wink ). Gyms were removed, but I think more were restored to working linkage; any sort of redirect was un-redirected to the actual site, and others were dropped off right at the gym's doorsteps.

As for hosting, I actually bought an old test jig from work to set-up specifically as a Debian web host. One problem: I don't have a provider that allows hosting. I mean, it is probably fast enough, but I imagine they track incoming traffic on port eighty and get suspicious. (My plan was to run other development on it instead of web for the time being.)

Also, I have been considering making some sort of RE League Graveyard where past gym battles are put in a flat list just so there is something to fight and get a prize for -- all just on this domain. Maybe as some sort of post-game. Never really had one of those around here before.

Ah, yes, the "don't know what to do on my site" problem. I know that one well. Since the REL is a few generation behind with no intention to catch up, my answer is normally "Isn't there something I can do that is more relevant?"
  PS: Your taste in music is awesome.

"Guster, you've got to grow up. People have sex, and they kill each other. That's the real world -- not some magical feelings place." ~ Detective Lassiter, Psych
wes2new

Member #66

Oct 13, 2011 22:09

Ahh alright, I'll go parse through text now. Its good that you were able to fix some rather than them simply being completely gone. (Yay for Promotion!)

As for the hosting I guess it depends on your provider, they might bother to track, or they might not, (probably not too many people trying to start webhosting businesses on a connection with upstream speeds that probably isn't any better than ~3mbps). Unless your service provider is WAY more awesome than mine.

I have a ton of old computers laying around, one of which I loaded CentOS6 on and planned to use as a local webserver for test purposes. Something to practice doing something slightly more awesome than coding basic HTML and reverse-engineering JS. I'll be starting school for Computer Engineering come January so maybe i'll learn some cool tricks there (bunch of programming pre-reqs).
  I do like the graveyard idea, give us a bit more to fight.
  Bleh..sleep now, gotta wake up at 4AM!

PS Thanks!

DarkEyes Gym Leader

Owner/Lead Tech
MintMan

Member #1

Oct 13, 2011 23:28

Yeah, your promotion is way overdo. One of the problems I realized years ago was the RE League's model to promote people only after they created their gyms and had the biggest burst of creativity and effort. All to often, leaders did not use their gymness that much.

And you don't really need to set-up a separate server to do web testing. I run Apache on my day-to-day PC with a clone of realitysend on localhost. It gets the job done, and allows testing of server-side fun. I don't really think there is anything a webserver can do to hose a box, and it can act as a mighty fine staging area between a live server.

"If you can't say something bad about a relationship, you shouldn't say it at all." ~ George Costanza
wes2new

Member #66

Oct 14, 2011 17:25

you are right about running it via localhost. But meh... I don't need more crap running on my computer. I also saw it as a way to play with different versions of linux on a computer that doesn't NEED to be actually working constantly. (Is computer tech, Has lots of computers to use for such things) Otherwise I could just run it on my Ubuntu fileserver. You using Linux on your day to day comp?

Ii'll play through the G/S/C side of the League this weekend and compile a list for them too.

I've been wanting to create a multi-page storyline for my gym, nothing too fancy (or annoying) but meh, kinda lacking inspiration.

DarkEyes Gym Leader

Owner/Lead Tech
MintMan

Member #1

Oct 16, 2011 22:17

All of my computers run Debian nowadays -- save one. I keep my old and increasingly deteriorating Windows PC around for compatibility testing that I don't think VirtualBox will do the job right for.

I have a list of dead GSC gyms already; I can automatically compile one based on the date of last Hall of Fame entry. It is just a matter of going through and confirming that it is, in fact, dead, or just a slow time for that gym. Normally, tho', it is just dead.

Yeah, multi-page gyms do tend to get annoying. I think the big problem a lot of them make is making important areas difficult to reach (such as shops -- why would you want to hide that? They make you money!) and, of course, loading. Having to load out a new page with every click is incredibly annoying, especially when scenes/pages have content of very little value on them. The non-map multi-pages are typically quite nice, tho'. Sorta reminiscent of a choose-your-own adventure book.

"'Nember back when you kept a graffiti book? And the only way for stranger to see who your friends were was to look at who had drawn in your book? Thank god for facebook. Now nobody has to be good at anything and everyone can know it." ~ MRTIM
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Mar 29, 2024 5:10 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022