Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 19, 2024 12:52 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: R.E. League :: Geocities no more...

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
LeeTupper

Member #42

Apr 30, 2009 21:49
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

This could be real bad, fellas. Yahoo's cannin' Geocities...
  http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/geocities.asp
  So about like what? A third, maybe, of REL Gyms are gonna go kaput, hardcore.

That's gonna be a bit rough, I think. Better pick up those badges before they're gone for good.
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 30, 2009 22:51
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Aye, I had heard about this, and it was just as sudden and out-of-the-blue for me as I imagine blokes who actually host their sites there. I cannot say it is altogether unexpected, however. The declining popularity of The League and many of RE's services has been declining with the prominence that once was the old personal home page's. I always knew that blogs would cutting into their territory; "blogs" have, of course, evolved into the social networking site, but back then, dag-nabbit, thems were just blogs!

This will not be as big a hit as when RE lost one of its two previous servers, but with an almost zero influx of new gyms, the hit will be felt hard! I guess this is just a first in a long series of steps leading up to the demise of the RE League and personal flair and creativity in general...

Sure, all of the battles and their text will remain, but that isn't all REL is about; the stories people put into their gyms were what (were supposed to) make a gym entertaining.

I am quite frankly surprised that Angelfire outlasted Geocities. I thought pop-ups and banners would trump what GC had, although they did start doing that stupid frame thing a while ago.

First AOL, and no one cared. Then GeoCities, and the bite was felt. How much longer until Angelfire bites the dust, leaving only that suckwad known as FreeWebs standing? Blutty thing is better than Maxpages and Maxpages alone~!

"You're a wuss -- part wimp, part puss!" ~ House
boyachi

Member #92

May 1, 2009 1:18
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Woah, hey, I cared about AOL dying. Moving 100+pages and then other files (ok mostly pics but still) took hours. I've been so busy with working on stuff to add TO the site that I still haven't fixed all the bugs from transferring over to freewebs.
  Seriously, is asking for a completely blank page too much to ask for these days? No, I don't have a photo gallery, why are you forcing me to have a link for one?
  If it wasn't for the stupid April fools prank (ask Mints, it's not worth one of my tangents) I would have moved my cite to Geo...and then had to move it to F-webs anyway. At this rate I'll be forced to have my gym on Myspace.
  Oh god, the sheer thought of that makes me wanna hurl.

Mintman: god of web -Mai
Skulkraken

Member #128

May 1, 2009 6:24
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

The writing was clear on the wall for me after seeing Yahoo pull the plug on both the file briefcase and the photo album collections. There will be more Yahoo services being canned, mark my words.

As for finding places to put gyms, why are you only thinking of dedicated website hosts and social networking? I registered with a site that lets people start their own wikis for free, and while I have no real plans to put a gym on one (I'd have to actually beat Mints first...which is just not going to happen. -_-;), it's something that would work fairly well.

My Blog -- guamgamer.blogspot.com
MadGoblin

Member #2

May 1, 2009 6:56

GeoCities gone!? But that's where I have all of the Kinak's PokeBattle logs stashed. What will happen with them?

Yeah, it sucks about the League's primary stash of stock, but I must be looking at it another way. The League was pretty dead. Maybe this is another overdue nail in its coffin. Not necessarily a good thing, but, I mean, let's face it. I'm surprised it has lasted this long, and that statement has nothing to do with PokeFad.

Has anything new even been springing up? I think it sorta turned into a rotten limb that's dragging the site down. People go there and see allll those sites, but most of them suck and/or are dead. It's a bit of a downer.

"Hey, we're the pure unblemished souls of chicken! Recognize!"
  - Eggs, speaking to Tatsuya Ishida
boyachi

Member #92

May 1, 2009 16:26

You have to think of it this way: this site has touched the hearts, lives, and spare time of many people over the ages. Visiting the REL gyms was a way to show that it ACTUALLY INSPIRED some kids to stop point and click and mindless typing to actually contribute to not just a web community, but this web community! Sure REL is dying/dead, but going to the gyms was like a walk down memory lane.
  "I remember the influx of FF7 fanboys!" "Ah, the Mario fanboys and their high caliber sites!" "dragons and plot AND music? Wow!" "I had a really hard time with this puzzle the first time...how did I solve it again?"
  The death of Geocities is not just denying the league a rebirth (stop laughing) it is also denying us access to much of what the RE user gave back to the site, and that is a rare thing to be cherished indeed!
  *This message was brought to you by Hallmark-Tangents*

The New Dawn has risen. Are you the one to unlock it?
MintMan

Member #1

May 1, 2009 17:16

Dead sites were a big asset to the RE League. That is how we got along on the original server; heaps of blokes came in, set up a gym, and did nothing to them, but they sure could serve as the whole of the Rising Faction. After the first extinction, I actually had to make real choices. Boo!

And no, Wikis are not a good place to host gyms. Mostly 'cause they can't. Same with social networking, which is why I mentioned them, but also because they are far more popular. What use does a common bloke have for a Wiki? One thing's for certain -- it isn't to host third-party JavaScripts like the RE League, 'cause that stuff is defanged, just like on FaceSpace and a heap of real web hosts, for that matter.

I dunno if I ever went into it before, but I have desperately been trying to make a replacement RE League, which would really just be a replacement END since that is what that was supposed to be. Of course, END is when I found out "Oh, personal web sites are on the decline? Whoopsie~!"
  For a monster raiser, Caeligens is where it at, but that is a downloadable, one-on-one client-server application. Pokémon fan communities have proven that it isn't the concept which draws, but the property. Fan monster fighters always flop, and at RE, it would be sure to right now. It will, however, one day simply devour the RE League's not-even-really-Pokémon-when-you-think-about-it-and-not-even-that-hard plot.

I do own Flash, so I could set up some sort of code like the BD adoptable which could be placed on social networking sites. Biggie is just what exactly I am supposed to make; I have heaps of ideas, but I can always theoretically fail them before they even finish. Or just not work out some devastating kinks (Curse you, knowledge of AI which makes enemies impossible!), but RE's current state contributes a lot to this, too.

My best bet, as far as I can figure, would be to make some sort of e-mail game akin to Kinak's Pokébattle, as Shadow Aura's e-mail model has been working very well. It would have to be low-play, like all RE things, with a potential of high-play, like a working BD RPG or REL Battle System. And there would have to be something worth displaying on one's site -- whatever it may be, since Flash would be used -- which would both be shiny and useful.
  And then, it has to be wrapped-up in a gimmick that people enjoy.

I had an idea for an RoR board game, but making all those cards and images for them is just ridonkulous if its success is still very much in question. And whatever I make next, it will have to be designed for a small number of people (i.e. non-massive) since that is all I can be sure will play.
  Even the old standby of "generic fantasy" would need some sort of gimmick to get an email game over a downloadable one, even tho' that isn't exactly RE's type of clientel, anyway.

Whoopsie rambly~!
Camo

Member #5

Sep 25, 2009 5:26
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Ahhh damn, was just looking to start a stupid website about stupid things. Is freewebs the best left free place?

Hmmm....

Here's a picture of a random amature model and a chair. I'm dating the hairier one at the moment, thought it would be appropriate to brag.

Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile UPSIDE DOWN SMILEY Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile
   Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile !FOREVER! Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile

Camo Smile

[Edited by MintMan on Sep 30, 2009 9:31]
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 25, 2009 9:13

Dibs on the chair then.

Angelfire has since fell into complete suckitude. If you know how to use FTP, there are a heap of better places available, but rarely with any sort of pagebuildingness -- or they require some amount of incoming traffick.

The gloriously mispelled discount-domain Byet Host has free hosting that is pretty spiffy, and I think they have some online management tools, too.

"You're a wuss -- part wimp, part puss!" ~ House
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Sep 25, 2009 23:15
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

If you're going to shift to Flash, how about progressing to Gen 3?
  * brings forth a Pester on MintMan with a PesterBall *
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 26, 2009 11:02

I wouldn't be "shifting" to Flash; I would simply be utilizing it. Flash has all sorts of HTML and JavaScript (which is essentially the same as its ActionScript) handling routines, so with a little work, I could get an embed to handle a REL battle.

Of course, that is if REL was worth saving. The DS and the ability to simply fight other trainers over wi-fi makes REL less and less useful, especially considering its ten-year-old beginner's code.
  * uses DoubleDeadly on Pester with a MagicBean all while wondering where he got those beans from *

Shortly after making this post, apparently, I came up with the idea of RE Incarnate, which is actually still being worked on (although with less fervor since the first release date was spoilt). Unlike a lot of other things, I'm trying to gimmick its release at just the right time and for the right reason, which is kinda sad since it is literally a game meant to be cared about by small scales.

"Yes, I am probably going to hell, thanks for asking." ~ Neil McGilloway
Sword
Afiag

Member #242

Sep 27, 2009 12:43
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Gen 3 is fine.
  Gen 4 should never have seen the light of day.

Actually, before the DS and wi-fi battles I think, someone made a program called Netbattle. Pretty much how it sounds... You pick your team and whatever moves they can legally learn, set them all to lvl 100, and go fight other teams over the internets. I used to play it, until they added gen 4. Since I didn't know anything about gen 4 pokemon/moves and furthermore didn't WANT to know, I quit playing it.

.."Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
  "A pit full of fire."
  "And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for
  ever?"
  "No, sir."
  "What must you do to avoid it?"
  "I must keep in good health, and not die."
  -Jane Eyre
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 27, 2009 13:02

Um, I'm an Azurian, premember? I was around through PBS, the GS/RSBots, and Netbattle. Online battles are nothing new to me, and in fact, REL even had its own version for a while (back when FracturedReality was giving me unlimited bandwidth -- that takes me back!).

Being official makes a world of difference, tho'. NB, if I recall correctly, was made in Visual BASIC. That pretty much says all you need to know.
  That is, if you know anything about Visual BASIC...

The whole not-raising aspect of internet battles always irked me. Who cares about hunting down the perfect DVs? You can get whatever you want whenever you want instantly~! Takes out, like, half the purpose of the game right there.
  Of course, Sharkers exists, too, and equally deplete the purpose of the game. Le sigh.

"So you're saying... I should eat a lot of yogurt?"
  "Couldn't hurt." ~ Burn Notice
boyachi

Member #92

Sep 28, 2009 18:06

Can we really talk about ruining trainer battles without talking about Missingno? I got a mixed blessing of lvl 255 Starmies and Golbats, which did of course dominate over a puny lvl 100 Mewtwo...then came that guy with a lvl 255 Gyarados...long story short he won because no, my starmie did NOT have recover.
  Of course game pelican came out and let you edit just about everything and while there were not 255s running about, there was the 3 hit combo of spore Arrow lock-on Arrow horndrill(or similar)
  or to be really mean: spore Arrow mean look Arrow perish song Arrow baton pass.

"To Hell: On Purpose" - MintMan
Camo

Member #5

Sep 30, 2009 7:16
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Woah Mints, you must really like that chair, it hasn't been deleted yet!

Made a new site thing. It's about the best thing in the world, http://camocamocamocamo.byethost24.com/ awesome website too Mints.

Also one other thing I wanted to bring up, is some how this picture

on myspace has recieved 8574 views since January. How is this possible? Could Myspace be using my picture as an add or something? I suppose they have every right, just seems kinda weird that it has that many views whilst the rest have less than 50.

The most erotic rock band ever:EROTIC CREMATION

Returning soon? Beerpending
wes2new

Member #66

Jan 13, 2010 8:54

would there be any way for you to create a Facebook app for the re league that would serve as say a Flash based frontend for the existing RE League code? I would happily promote it on Facebook and my own webpages

Visit the DarkEyes gym
  Darkness Approaches
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Jan 17, 2010 6:26
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Actually, I just bothered to check on Facebook app creation. It seems that there official client libraries for PHP and JavaScript use in Facebook apps, and some unofficial ones that support others such as Perl, so I don't think that messing with Flash would be needed
  http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/index.php/Creating_a_Platform_Application

[Edited by Lugiatrainer on Jan 17, 2010 6:27]
MintMan

Member #1

Jan 17, 2010 10:32

Actually, for cross-site stuff, yeah, you're prolly gonna need Flash. (That is how Meebo worked, anyway. Even if you didn't use Flash to develop the app, you had to upload a SWF onto your own site with some basic access methodology just to bypass security.) JavaScript alone would flag most browsers as "Hey, somethin' illegal is goin' on~!"

Since the Flash object itself can be located at the domain being accessed, browsers will not flag a security risk. Importing scripts does not have the same effect.
  Just going over that link, tho', it seems there is a lotta POST data flying about, which may or may not have a way of getting around browser-built-in security. Hard for me to know -- I never use the garbáge, and that documentation (all I really care to read on the subject) doesn't go into enough detail. Yahoo widgets require downloads, so that's how they bypass such concerns. REL uses cookies, and browsers are incredibly stingy with letting those things even go near outside communiques.

The main thing, of course, is that I don't give two half-a-craps about Facebook (what with not even having an account and all). Morons have their idiot li'l farming timewasters over there -- I hardly doubt that they would want to make a gym.
  Moreover, all you could make is a gym. The entire concept of page design and variant layouts is moot when wedged into a little box on some page; constant display isn't even necessary, either, as only a fraction of traffic would use the app but a single time!

So, in conclusion, there very well probably is a way for me to make a Facebook app for the REL. I've made a career of doing a lot with very little. Heck, I made an MMO out of Angelfire's old standard form reporting script.

However, I definitely shall not waste my time doing anything -- ever -- on Facebook. At the very least, I would just make a universal (or fairly so) SWF which accepted PARAMeters to customize the embed. Yeah, I have Flash; I bought it years ago. I hate the stuff, too, which is why I rarely use it, but it is more accepted on web pages than my fave Java.
  It can emulate JavaScript better, tho', so if I did do anything, that's the route to go.

(PS: I really hate Facebook. Remember when MySpace was all the rage? Remember how long ago that was? Guess what, Facebook? You're next~!)

"Yes, I am probably going to hell, thanks for asking." ~ Neil McGilloway
wes2new

Member #66

Apr 18, 2011 7:59

It's almost a shame you can't setup your own gym building/hosting site to connect to a facebook/myspace/WhateversAfterFacebook frontend. and hell while we are poking around in the realm of "NeverGonnaHappen" maybe make the walkaround sorta modular so you could add other gyms/cities right into the walkaround, maybe make your own world out of it?

Visit the DarkEyes gym
  Darkness Approaches
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 18, 2011 19:27

Yes, I could.

Easily.

That would be against the entire point of the RE League, tho'. It is supposed to invoke creativity and encourage people to at least attempt web design. Nowadays, morons think that square-bracketed letters are some universal code to format text. Feh!

Besides, do people really want to walk-around an entire world in text boxes? The most popular gym has always been Venom City simply because it is easier to get around. Sure, the navigation stuff is gimmicky and a nice change of pace, but the flat file has always been tops with the lazy gamer -- which, if you didn't know, is all of them.

Moreover, the BookSpace front -- or BS for short, and, um, truth -- would require Flash. This is the main reason I never so much as bothered with those avenues.

"It tastes like freedom." ~ Jack Swagger -- it doesn't matter why
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Apr 19, 2024 12:52 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022