Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Jan 20, 2020 3:45 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: R.E. League :: Questions

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Skulkraken

Member #128

Jun 7, 2008 23:24
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Okay, I've gotten back into training my pokemon again, and I've got a couple questions:

Should I be cautious about clicking on links that say "Rare"? I've seen one or two scattered around the different gyms, and I'm wondering if the stuff in them is a one-shot deal.

Also, how do dojos work? The faq doesn't seem to say anything about them, and I'm wondering what they do.

And now, I'm off to grind for more badges.
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 8, 2008 6:53
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Rare battles are a one-win, not one-shot. Well, they should be a one-victory, anyway. I guess like anything, it depends if the gym leader flagged it properly. They probably should, although it hardly matters since they don't have the ability to make rare fights with any legendary Pokemon.

Dojo's are just a combination of vitamins and the beauty parlor. If I remember correctly, the in-game never quite explain how those work, either, other than "increases stoof". If you must know, they are stat experience boosts.
  There, happy now? Tongue

"If it's any consolation to you, by the way, I'm creeping myself out." ~ Craig Ferguson
Skulkraken

Member #128

Jun 8, 2008 8:37
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Very happy. Big Smile

Are there any other kinds of special things that can be found in gyms?
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 8, 2008 8:59
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Some people give out what are called "X-Pokes" (Extra Pokemon), which are just pre-packaged Pokemon that you don't need to catch, but that is really as much as I can think of.

I just logged in, and all I see in addition to that is the Name Rater (Changer). * instead of changing his name, class changes to Templar instead *

"I seem to be the cure for nymphomania, apparently." ~ Craig Ferguson
Skulkraken

Member #128

Jun 9, 2008 21:43

One more question.

What's up with the levels of the gym leaders' pokemon? They always seem to be at least 5-10 levels higher than my own.

...It also doesn't help that moves from my pokemon, like Psychic and Slash, keep missing multiple times in a row. DX
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 9, 2008 22:19

If those moves are missing consistently, then Double Team/Minimize/some sort of accuracy reducer has to be to blame. Get Haze.

The gym leader's Pokemon automatically adjust to be stronger than your own as to present a challenge. You have a mind, and therefore should have an advantage against the simple RE League AI.

"To heck with the robots; give me a transparent slut!" ~ David Letterman -- Good to be back!
Elissa

Member #298

Aug 5, 2008 17:01
E-Mail Web Site Master Account R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Jun 8, 2008 6:53, MintMan said:

Rare battles are a one-win, not one-shot. Well, they should be one-victory, anyway. I guess like anything, it depends if the gym leader flagged it properly. They probably should, although it hardly matters since they don't have the ability to make rare fights with any legendary Pokemon.

Interesting. I know there's at least one re-fightable rare in the Maelstrom LAtS walkaround, which, given the post-fight message, was apparently intentional. But other rares and many trainers in Maelstrom are one-shot, which I guess is done via reverse flags. I can't recall a gym off the top of my head besides Maelstrom that uses such flags at all.

Who's doing it "properly?" I can see both sides, here. On one hand, story arcs generally happen, and then are through. Rare Pokémon, previously thought only to be legends, generally don't hang around and wait for you to run back to the shop and get more Ultra Balls. It makes a lot of sense not to be able to re-fight these things in "game time."

On the other hand, I'm not sure someone playing a story arc should be considered as within "game time." In most games, including in all versions of Pokemon, it's common practice to save before a boss fight, and reload if you lose. Catching a legendary (or rare) Pokémon is the boss fight. It seems reasonable to give people a second (tenth) chance at it, especially if they've already solved a puzzle, etc. to earn the right to do so.

Later games have muddled the issue somewhat with roaming legendaries, against whom you can't save right beforehand. But there are not yet any roaming legendaries behind a puzzle. (As an aside, roaming rares could work in REL; I suppose you could randomize all your wild battle links to have a .01% chance of going to a rare. I'd be slightly more inclined to reverse-flag those.)

There's another reason I might not want to reverse-flag rares. Rare battles are often tied into story arcs, which are frequently long and dense depending on the gym. I think it's perfectly legitimate behavior to fight through a story arc once to get to any reward at the end, or just for completion's sake and then to fight through a second or third time to read the plot more thoroughly. Many RE League gyms have plots that resemble short stories (or, in some cases, novels) much more than video game dialogue. I'd be mildly peeved if I weren't allowed to re-watch video game cutscenes (though I generally am, nowadays -- FFX-2 even has an in-game shop where you can buy them). I'd be far more upset if a novel I was reading erased itself as I turned the pages. It may be correct to allow such things to be re-fought.

Heh, I think I spent about 10 hours at Venom before I actually played through its storyline in order...

-Elissa
  Nadare City (currently LotGJ only)
  ...now with more flags

[Edited by Elissa on Aug 5, 2008 17:12]
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 5, 2008 17:54

Or...

In the Pokémon video games, you only have one chance to catch the Legendary Pokémon or battle any trainer ever in the entire game.
  Thus, in the REL gyms, this behavior is capable of being modeled.

Simple as that.

In actuality, reverse-flagging storyline battles can be very crucial and important. If a trainer is to backtrack, will they know they are re-experiencing their fight out of order? In your example, said trainer seems to be very forgetful if they are replaying lots of battles. This could actually damage their understanding of the storyline if everything is out-of-sequence.

I always considered making an amnesia event in Maelstrom to allow everything to be replayed -- but would also disallow access to later battles. Never made it, of course, but anyone so concerned about replay value should consider this approach instead of the possibly chronological nightmare you propose for a very involved and wide-spread story.

It all comes down to how your individual gym's storyline plays out. There are some sequences in my gym which are flagged and others which are not; it really just depends on how important, how epic, and how much sense replay would make. A rare Pokémon, I would say always flag; otherwise, you could fight it with itself Boggle

Typically, there is not a whole lotta point in needing to play REL battles unless it is a good level-up spot. If it is that story intense, then make it a story instead. Pacing is a very important part of a gameplay; you don't want to bog down any part with too much. That's just Game Design 101. They are, after all, still games and not movies or books.

"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise." ~ Rorschach, Watchmen
Elissa

Member #298

Aug 5, 2008 18:53
E-Mail Web Site Master Account R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Actually, every single Pokémon game contains a storyline that can be replayed over and over, with no change to the dialogue. It's called the Pokémon League. You can show up and clear it for the 443rd time and your regional professor will still be excited. Of all the games, the one for which this makes the least sense is RBY: during the credits sequence, the Championship apparently changes hands twice, first to Lance, then to your rival. This is nonsense from the perspective of your character, but for the player, it's a valuable chance to re-experience what is usually one of the best-written sequences in the game. The character, not being real, doesn't mind the temporal inconsistency. I don't mind either, because I'm not going to get lost.

Your Amnesia idea sounds good, as long as you keep the good training spots separate from the story. (It's also similar to the aforementioned League. I might prefer to give the player the ability to only re-fight the battles s/he chooses to, though.) Obviously, the reason I played Venom out of order is that it's such a good training gym that I head there whenever I want to raise a Pokemon -- unless I'm feeling cheap, in which case I drop by the legendary "hologram projector" at IceWater or one of Boyachi's Mewtwo teams. Big Smile

Incidentally, w.r.t. your first point, you probably remember that you can re-fight many ordinary trainers starting in GSC with the Phone on the PokéGear. (In later generations, re-fightable trainers will mercifully no longer call the character up to discuss their miserably boring lives, which apparently consist almost entirely of battling, catching or failing to catch common PokĂ©mon from their respective routes. Not that I expected more from people who can't see me when I walk by a foot behind them.) Smile

-Elissa
  Nadare City (currently LotGJ only)
  ...it's a series of tubes

[Edited by Elissa on Aug 5, 2008 19:12]
boyachi

Member #92

Sep 27, 2008 22:01

Woah, people actually made it that far? Kick @$$!

I experimented with the amnesia between the versions, to make sense with the year difference. At least I know the old java works.

Cheers to Venom gym for always being used and never being changed. *gives cheers to MadGoblin* To unrefined perfection.

The New Dawn has risen. Are you the one to unlock it?
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Jan 20, 2020 3:45 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2019