Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 29, 2024 10:03 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: R.E. League :: I know I've made it big when...

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 7, 2006 15:35
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I'm a hit in Finland!

I have always wondered where all of those visitors from the ten-odd percent of non-English speaking countries came from. Well, this is one place!

No good Suomi translators exist, and from what I can gather, they keep saying "lucky distance" and then start complaining how this is an unnecessary topic. Also, they seem to make comparisons to that embarrassment of a game Crater has (which is still somehow around). Still pretty awesome in my book!

Also, I think Finns call their moderators "wizards" Boggle And towards the end, they kept mentioning butter...

"I know why I sometimes comes off as condescending; it's because I'm better than you." ~ Alex Trebek, Late Night's Secrets
MadGoblin

Member #2

Dec 7, 2006 17:35
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Why Finland?!? You have got to be revoling in this fact.

For those of you who ain't familiar, Ems is a huuuge Finland buff. He sweats that thing more than a Finn does in a sauna. Ack! Even I'm affected now!

Well, the certain thing that can be known is that Pokemon Crater's "game" is a sack of crap.

Amen.

"How do you stop an exploding man?"
  - Hiro Nakamura, Heroes
Battalon127

Member #25

Dec 7, 2006 21:26
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

(There is no Smiley for the emotion I am currently feeling, so the Nidhogg of genericness will have to take it's place. Or I could be feeling "Dragonny." As it's not a real word, I guess no one will ever know.)

So did the parts you did figure out come from that love of Finland or through the use of one of those crappy online translators? Either way, that's pretty neat. Of course, if they're familiar with RE, then it could be assumed they're a bit more familiar with English than most of us are with Finnish, or perhaps free translations from English work better than translating to it. Either way, it gives them an edge on us. Hell, they're probably reading this right now...
  [Supidity edit]

[Edited by Battalon127 on Dec 7, 2006 21:27]
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 7, 2006 23:49

The post was from back in September, and I haven't seen a lot of Finland traffic recently. ('Course, I haven't seen much of any traffic with my bugging stats D'oh )

I tried to use a translator on most of it, although large sections were immune. Nothing on the site said it was Finnish, tho'; that I was able to deduce through love... and the ".fi" extension Shifty Eyes I could swear they used something with an "s" in it...

Either way, that is the official Pokémon site for the Finnish language, apparently. No foolin'! Prolly why they didn't like the spamming of my site over there...

It would seem that they have some knowledge of the English language. A lot of their sigs contained English snippets -- prolly enough to navigate and then be confused by the RE League Big Smile Just like native English speakers!
Afiag

Member #242

Dec 9, 2006 24:11
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I don't remember the last time I saw anything Finnish.
  Ahem..

The admin was saying something about it being neat and free and whatnot, but unfortunately you need IE.. and some sort of comparison between the newest version of the REL and an older one. No clue.

Something about matches and Crater... and gambling?
  The subject is wonderful and pointless...
  No idea what Täähän is supposed to mean...
  Someone asks how the matches play out..
  Something about butter.. socks, voting.. and some sort of art license?
  And something sarcastic.. No idea what the meaning of that was though.

Yeah that's about all I could get out of it because I ditched that class for japanese part-way through the term.
  Probably not more than the crappy translators can do.

If ignorance is bliss, then you must be orgasmic.

[Edited by Afiag on Dec 9, 2006 24:13]
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Mar 29, 2024 10:03 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022