Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 19, 2024 15:46 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: R.E. League :: Nothings working!

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
TheFireToad

Member #244

Sep 20, 2005 22:39
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Every time I try to enter a trainer battle or a wild battle, it doesn't work. Sorry, I know questions like this must pop up all the time.

In this world there are things that people mustn't touch. Who cares!

-Kalas (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)
Battalon127

Member #25

Sep 20, 2005 22:59
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Uhh toady, sad to say we do get a lot of questions like that here. It would probably help for you to give some information on the problem. For instance, do you get some sort of error message (look for an exclamation point at the bottom of your screen), is it starting to load but then giving you some sort of page error? What browser are you using? What site/who's gym is this at? I know MintMan can look up a lot of stuff about acounts and what you've been doing to solve stuff like this, but it's always a good idea to give as much information as possible when you have a problem. Like if you mention you're using Firefox, I, or just about anyone else could tell you that REL doesn't work with non-IE browsers and smite you for not seeing all the places that tell you that, and the Easily-Angered Minty One wouldn't have to worry about it. Just some friendly advice to make your stay at REF a little less painful (maybe). * As a gesture of friendliness Smites TheFireToad *

A Elbereth Gilthoniel o menel palan-diriel, le nallon
sí di-nguruthos! A tiro nin, Fanuilos!

[Edit: bah, typos]

[Editted by Battalon127 on Sep 20, 2005 23:00]
Sword
TheFireToad

Member #244

Sep 21, 2005 15:03
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Oh, that's the problem. I was using Firefox. I didn't know that I couldn't use Firefox for the REL. But it works on my other internet service. Thanks:)!

In this world there are things that people mustn't touch. Who cares!

-Kalas (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 21, 2005 15:36
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah, it only says so right when you sign-up Mean Look And on the main page of the entire site Mean Look

Of course, most of the other things on the site work with Netscape-derivative browsers, but since the REL (and END) are the only two things that are actually JScripty games instead of a lot of form-submittal, they require the added punch only IE packs.
Ishamael

Member #142

Sep 24, 2005 12:01
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

It's too bad that Mozilla hasn't come up with a browser that has equal script-reading capacity to IE. Do they actually have a reason for not doing so or are they just being lazy?

Btw, for those of you thinking "Mozilla is a browser in and of itself," that's true, but it's also the name of the company that makes Netscape, Firefox and Mozilla.

Anyways...I wouldn't be so concerned about using IE as my primary browser except for some security issues. I'm not sure what having the browser connected to the OS does that's problematic, but I think that means that scripts passed into the browser could do stuff to the OS.

And I don't really want to know the reason behind it. There's no point. It's easier to tell me "IE has security holes, use another browser." I don't want to know how to exploit the security problems, as I'm not a hacker (well, technically, I'm a hacker, but not a cracker - hacker=programmer, cracker=what the media calls a hacker...foolish media).

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
  --George W. Bush
  When, Mr. Bush? When did you turn?
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 24, 2005 19:26
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

It would be nice if you would have more than headline intelligence in the issues.

Hackers are programmers mostly from the eighties who would simply "hack away" at the keyboard for long hours to the results they would want. They later became known testing their computer to its furthest capabilities, typically in the virus realm to mess with stupid friends.
  Anyway, you ain't a hacker. Not just any programmer is a hacker. I'd think you'd have to know what _t is or how to use void** to be a hacker.

As for Mozilla... oy Sweat Drop Mozilla didn't make Netscape; Netscape made Netscape. Gawrd, the people you are explaining this to probably knew more before you tried.
  Years ago, Netscape decided to make their browser open source. A foundation started -- called Mozilla -- to make an open source browser using Netscape's source. And yes, they also made Firefox.

The reason Mozilla doesn't have equal power to IE is because Mozilla does what JavaScript is supposed to do. Netscape invented JavaScript (originally called LiveScript). Later, IE decided to compete by creating a very similar JScript. Despite the dropped "ava", this was enough to avoid legal issues on the matter.

A standard was eventually made for the language, which Netscape follows very faithfully. Of course, IE wants more people to use them, so just as they include more than W3C-mandated HTML and CSS, they added a lot of stuff to JavaScript to make it much easier to hack-out, pretty much, allowing bad decisions which they probably shouldn't in code that the standard (and any sane language) should explicitly disallow.
  However, this lets more scripts work on IE than on Mozilla, and it is also just plain faster. Firefox JS is even slower than Mozilla, from what I hear. I guess the developers decided that load speed was more important than anything else.
Ishamael

Member #142

Sep 24, 2005 22:41

Well sorry for being less intelligent that you are. I'm only in grade 12, so don't expect me to know as much as someone who's (attended/attending - not sure, i'm not a stalker either).

[Looking across the Arkansas River...]
  TOUR GUIDE: "Usually, you might see some bass fishermen out there."
  DUBYA: "A submarine could take this place out."
  Well...that's a bit off topic... true, but a bit off topic...
boyachi

Member #92

Sep 26, 2005 15:51

void**
  sounds like a super cool rank in the army! Do tell!

My side is dead, my beliefs have been forgotten, my youth has left me and my innocence was slaughtered infront my eyes. Why should I care when it is only my life on the line?
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 26, 2005 18:48

Far void function pointer. Essentially, it is a pointer to a memory location without any type, so you can recast the type dynamically to fit any situation you want.

It is perhaps one of the stupidest things you can do, seeing as how one of the virtues of C++ is types, but it does have use when dealing with large, class-based work-environments and sockets -- wacky, wacky sockets!
Ishamael

Member #142

Sep 28, 2005 24:06

void has a purpose in Java...methods all have to have a return type...so if you don't want to have a return value, you have to make it as "void methodname()"

Actually, every program in Java uses at least one void (at least console program...not sure about Swing Java....I think it needs it unless you're opening it through an applet viewer: "Public static void main(string[]args)" is the primary method in Java, which calls all other methods...

In terms of C++ though, what is it's purpose? I haven't gotten around to learning C++ code yet. Java works well as long as you have a comp that can run it's virtual machine.

And I am a pure hand-coder. WYSIWYG makes me want to die. VB is the only WYSIWYG program I've ever used and I'm starting to block out my memories of VB coding...the healing has begun. I'd always thought the term "hacking through code" meant "hand coding," but, again, I could be wrong. Unlike "most" people my age, I don't know everything. Nor am I invulnerable, but that's beside the point. ("most" being the idiots who are so stupid that they're stupidity is worthy of being broadcasted on national television and give all teenagers a bad name-but that's a different topic not related to this one or the topic this board is meant to discuss, so...I think I'll leave it at that)

I'm far from being an expert programmer, but then I've only been doing anything in code for 3.5 years now (and that was just HTML), and I only began to really understand the art of programming 2.5 years ago, via the dreaded VB (and didn't get into a commercially used language until about 8 months ago - Java) My goal in terms of programming is to get used to C++ as soon as I can...but then grade 12 is kinda making me want to spend my free time doing something not related to learning things (well...not directly - working on code causes learning, but learning with a practical and immediate reason)

anyways...enough of this marathon post...

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
  --George W. Bush
  When, Mr. Bush? When did you turn?
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 28, 2005 1:49

A marathon post about something no one asked about. The topic was void pointers, not the void (non-)type in general or anything about any programming knowledge you may have, YFFI.

"I can't wear pants. I would melt." - Said by Fellow Co-Worker. Why? You tell me.
Battalon127

Member #25

Sep 28, 2005 17:31

On Sep 28, 2005 24:06, Ishamael said:

Unlike "most" people my age, I don't know everything. Nor am I invulnerable, but that's beside the point.

Not to perpetuate off-topic/worthless posting, I'd just like to add something. What you should have said is "Unlike most people my age, I don't think I know everything. Kudos. It's been ranted about here before so I'm not going to get into it now, but too many people these days are pushing their wrongness in everyone's faces. And they don't care when they're wrong. They keep acting like they're right anyway. If you actually know everything, fine you have a right. But I'm pretty sure no one does. So kids, don't be whiny in-your-face know-it-alls. Especially here because I'll whip you. (It's the one place where I actually can mean that).
  Oh, and topic closed. I probably shouldn't have even written this, but I had to say it.
  We know return to our regularly scheduled topic- "Things I don't understand in the least" already in progress...

It's only a matter of time before the mosquitoes get smart enough to form a swarm in the shape of a hand and unzip the tent flap to suck us dry. ~Me and a couple of friends during a canoeing trip in Northern Minnesota after retreating to our tent at 9:30 to escape the hoards of mosquitoes
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 19, 2024 15:46 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022