Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 16, 2024 6:45 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: R.E. League :: Bad Latin in Maelstrom bestiary?

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Tarazu

Member #155

Dec 16, 2003 19:04
E-Mail Web Site Master Account R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Incendo happens to be a third declension verb, so you cannot say incendebit. The proper future active indicative third singular is incendet, "he/she/it will burn/kindle/set fire to".

Also, I haven't a clue what fietur is supposed to mean, and neither does my dictionary. Perhaps it was a typographical error.

Thanks,
  Tarazu
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 16, 2003 19:55
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Uh.... *looks*

Yes, you would be correct. I did that in about a day a long time back. Incendere got its error from originally being a different work that I decided to change over on a whim. I think it was like flagare/flagabit or something, but I decided that the word looked stupid.

Fietur should be fit. I do not know where I fietur from. I mean, I know I got it from one of my books, but... it must be some sort of less-used non-classical conjugation or something. Maybe I took it from a bestiary....
  Well, actually, the word should be fiat. That would keep it all nice and tense-agreeing. I have been meaning to check that segment for quite some time....
  Right now, I am curious as to the origins of fietur. If you type in it a search engine, it does in fact come up with a bunch of Latin translators, but if you put it together with fio fieri, you get nothing. What's the dealio?
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 16, 2024 6:45 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022