Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
May 19, 2022 4:10 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: First New Topic in Years; Last Post Ever? (NOT CLICKBAIT~!)

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
MintMan

Member #1

Feb 11, 2021 15:35
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

So you may have noticed (but probably not) that a few days ago, RE went down.

That was because I had to transfer my domain to a different registrar since my host no longer worked with my previous registrar.

I've been looking into my host, since I currently am marked as having no account at all with them, and they might be in their death throes. They might stay in a holding pattern for years (since I apparently prepaid a ridiculous amount ahead of time), but they could also shut down tomorrow. One review said that he found the obituary for the owner.

So, yeah, it is possible that RE might disappear. Temporarily, but still. I've already done one backup for the dynamic files, I want to do a whole site archive, and I'll try to make sure the one forum thread stays properly archived.

The whole issue with finding a new host is that RE runs on Perl, and not a whole lot of hosts offer that anymore. The preferred solution would be to get a static IP and just host RE at home, which probably what will end up happening if this place goes caput.

"Isn't that cute? It's nice to think that even if you're made of fire and covered in venom-filled syringes, you can still make some friends." ~ Real Monstrosities
MadGoblin

Member #2

Feb 16, 2021 21:02
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Ha-hah. Can you imagine not realizing that * checks own website * an important website was down? Nope. Everyone was ... perfectly... aware.

Also, I thought it already was self-hosted.

Down for a day, an over 99% improvement over the Resort.

"Got any ideas?"
  "Hmm... animal socks!"
  - Noah and Geeker, Project G.K.R.
draggy1234

Member #97

Feb 19, 2021 5:35
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Huh. I was wondering about those 403 errors when I came to do my rounds some days ago.

Old habits.
MintMan

Member #1

Feb 20, 2021 15:16

Wait, isn't 403 a Forbidden error?

* uses Check *

Yeah it is.

Huh, yeah. That's weird. The servers were unreachable, so they shouldn't have been able to return any code whatsoever.

Accessing the site also still worked fine -- only the domain was bad.

Unless the name server was rerouting to a parking page, and that had an error on it that gave a Forbidden.

"Don't judge me by my actions. Judge me by how I tell you I am inside." ~ Colin Quinn
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 16, 2021 13:09

Well that was a weird one.

I think the version of Perl just updated on the server.

The INCDIR for Perl just dropped the current directory (.), so I had to add it in my wrappers since I was already adding INCDIR stuff in my Perl wrappers anyway.

I guess that means somebody is doing something on my server host. I don't think Perl would upgrade a major version automatically.

"Let's get drunk enough to never have to think about this again." ~ Dean Wincester, Supernatural
VinnyD

Member #9

Aug 17, 2021 13:47
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

This may be user error or a browser thing, but when I try going directly here, I get a connection timed out error, but when I search in google and click that link, I can get to the site.
boyachi

Member #92

Aug 17, 2021 20:11

I am able to get in via both IOS and Microsoft Chromium Edge.

I'm not going to bore you with my life recently, but due to a job location change my writing has stopped for about 2 years. I recently started doing research on a story I told to kids years ago but never wrote down and wanted to some day write up. I was going to go on location this summer but hey you know how those plans work.
  I am planning to do it next summer, but I can definitely get a first draft (which I'll probably start in November knowing myself) well on its way before that.

Probably wouldn't still be thinking about writing if not for this site. Good times.

The New Dawn has risen. Are you the one to unlock it?
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 25, 2021 23:21

It looks like the realitysend.com redirect is having problems, probably due to a change after the server updated Apache versions.

You can still get to this site on some browsers; yours is probably just having problems with the redirects.

Going to www.realitysend.com (which is probably what search engines index and differs from your bookmark) gets around that redirect issue.

"Let's get drunk enough to never have to think about this again." ~ Dean Wincester, Supernatural
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
May 19, 2022 4:10 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022