Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 25, 2024 6:36 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Check in

-   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3  4  5 
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jun 9, 2018 9:16
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Chicago? I'm sorry, Julune. My condolences.

I actually recently quoted Reality's End 'round my gaming group, which great confused them. "'Wah-wah, mama'? What... what is that? Should we know it?" Tried my best to explain that whole origin, and one of 'em -- competent in Googling -- was able to pull up the website. "Wow, how old is this site? It looks like it's from the 90s." "Technically true."

"I can't go back to teaching high school math. Those girls pretend they're not women, but they are."
  - Pete, 30 Rock
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 9, 2018 22:52
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Legitimately lulled at the "Wah-wah, mama."

Technically, this layout is the holdover layout I designed in the early 2000s.... and never replaced.

I was recently discussing site design at work (I am a computer engineer, discussing web layouts with other engineers, for context) and we were talking about how bloated and slow-loading modern web pages are, and how unnecessary it all is. Why is it I am getting dial-up speeds in CURRENT YEAR?

Terrible design, that's why.

"'Nember back when you kept a graffiti book? And the only way for stranger to see who your friends were was to look at who had drawn in your book? Thank god for facebook. Now nobody has to be good at anything and everyone can know it." ~ MRTIM
Camo

Member #5

Jun 19, 2018 21:30
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

The rest of the internet needs to get with the times, and RE'fy itself.

Read the fantasy books of Cameron Wayne Smith!
Julune

Member #486

Jun 21, 2018 21:17
Master Account Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I don’t live in Chicago, just near Chicago, so I don't particularly have to worry about the violence and such.

By the way, happy Summer Solstice. I guess we’re supposed to be having sun celebrations or something, though ironically it’s been cloudy and rainy all day where I live.
VinnyD

Member #9

Jun 22, 2018 14:45
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

me in 2000: man, all these advances in computers, I bet things will load so much faster in 2018
  me in 2018: man, I wish there weren't so many ads so that the thing I came here for would load in a reasonable time

MintMan

Member #1

Jun 23, 2018 15:06

It isn't just the advertisements; tons of trackers and generally awful programming practices are what really slow things down.

Most web pages load heaps of framework libraries, of which they use only a small percentage, but the whole thing still has to be loaded. Plus pages nowadays actively try to subvert any form of caching so that there is no chance someone may see out-of-date content, despite the fact that it will be the same 99.9999% of the time.

Really, it is just to make the "developer"'s job easier.

"'Nember back when you kept a graffiti book? And the only way for stranger to see who your friends were was to look at who had drawn in your book? Thank god for facebook. Now nobody has to be good at anything and everyone can know it." ~ MRTIM
draggy1234

Member #97

Jun 24, 2018 18:30
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

What kind of websites are you all going to? I personally have no problem loading my pages in about one or two seconds from click. My e-mail, university websites, academic journal articles, Reality's End...everything loads really fast for me. Using Microsoft Edge, by the way, if that matters.

...Or maybe it's my computer/Internet?
Zedd

Member #76

Nov 8, 2018 5:33
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I still exist too, though I only come by once every couple of months. I guess at least my job is only medium boring?

The frameworks and the ads and the trackers are all pretty garbage. I'm actually not even sure who the 'developer' is any more.

I mean, it doesn't help that our internet down here is so much worse than... Most other places. I think to load a site, we have to engage some kind of avian carrier.

...'Common problem'? It's a freakin' segmentation fault on the video drivers!
VinnyD

Member #9

May 11, 2019 13:43

I easily claim first post of 2019
draggy1234

Member #97

May 12, 2019 20:09

Didn't want to gamble for a later date, eh? Tongue
MintMan

Member #1

May 13, 2019 20:40

You realize I could just delete your posts and claim the first post of 2019 rather easily?

In fact, I could continue deleting posts and claim the first post of 2019 sometime in December.

In fact, maybe that's what I've been doing all along.

.... is anyone buying that?

"Well, the pessimists know they're doomed, so it's no surprise to them when it happens." ~ Wally
  "What do the optimists do?"
  "They become pessimists." ~ Wally, Dilbert
boyachi

Member #92

Aug 2, 2019 24:26

I gotta say, now that my job is getting into coding, I never understood the complexity of coding until now. Stupid TV made it look like if you knew one language, the others were just treated like slang and people could code to the speed of plot.
  Mintman, I appreciate the amount of work you put into programming the games for this, but especially for making the html accessible to join. If not for this site, I wouldn't have my job right now.

That being said, I gotta say that after the last free domain pulled its shenanigans, I've yet to relocate. All the free places want me to use templates and the like and the source code is bloated.
  Yes, I know now that some of my pages back then could have used CSS, but even still I feel like my typical webpage would be a third of the size of a "Hello World" page made with some of these templates. The computer I'm using now is capable of running 2004 games mostly without lag, I still appreciate fast loading pages, as do mobile users.

*Starts playing credits scene from The Breakfast Club.*
  Mints, don't be deleting our messages, I'll have to start hiding my posts again. Tongue

Mintman: god of web -Mai
VinnyD

Member #9

Sep 6, 2019 12:48

Idk what coding is but ive become the database boy at my job so im half spreadsheet builder and half accountant: the worlds worst superhero.

MintMan

Member #1

Sep 7, 2019 9:54

SQL queries are almost coding.

I hear that Space Trombone is the way all the cool kids are sharing music these days.
VinnyD

Member #9

Sep 11, 2019 14:26

yeah I was being obtuse, my spreadsheet work ends up being coding except without a fun title usually
wes2new

Member #66

Sep 11, 2019 16:20

2 posts on the same day, must be some kind of record!

I don't do much actual programming, but I'm teaching myself to code virtual machines and networks, and configuration templates with Terraform and Ansible. I guess that counts as coding.

@boyachi I do hosting and could host something low traffic (like an RE gym) for negligible cost if you were looking for an option that'd let you go template-free.

DarkEyes Gym Leader
  www.justin-newman.com/gym

[Edited by wes2new on Sep 11, 2019 16:27]
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 11, 2019 23:00

On Sep 11, 2019 16:20, wes2new said:
something low traffic (like an RE gym)

That seems like a dig.

Or the truth.

Well, and the truth, but still.

"Don't judge me by my actions. Judge me by how I tell you I am inside." ~ Colin Quinn
wes2new

Member #66

Sep 13, 2019 22:57

On Sep 11, 2019 23:00, MintMan said:

On Sep 11, 2019 16:20, wes2new said:
something low traffic (like an RE gym)

That seems like a dig.

Or the truth.

Well, and the truth, but still.

"Don't judge me by my actions. Judge me by how I tell you I am inside." ~ Colin Quinn

No dig, just being measuredly generous because I don't have much time for my hosting business right now.

*gestures vaguely at my seemingly endless list of tasks and responsibilities*

DarkEyes Gym Leader
  www.justin-newman.com/gym

Owner/Lead Tech
  Just-In-Time Technology Services
  www.justintime.tech
MadGoblin

Member #2

Sep 14, 2019 12:20

Responsibilities? Never heard of them~! Time to goof off and eat ice cream.

RE Gyms used to be pretty high traffic, back in the day (before the internet had all that stuff you could do on it). I think I recall a few (lousy, albeit) hosts actually cutting off some gyms temporarily due to the spike of traffic, sorta like how one couldn't have chat rooms (really just rapid fire message boards).

Simpler times.

"I can't go back to teaching high school math. Those girls pretend they're not women, but they are."
  - Pete, 30 Rock
Skulkraken

Member #128

Oct 6, 2019 24:34
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Oh hey, this place is still around. Yay!

It took a while for me to get back my gaming Gmail account after their automated account security banned me for deleting a couple hundred spam emails at once using the built-in mail filters.
-   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3  4  5 
Apr 25, 2024 6:36 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022