Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 24, 2024 6:40 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Mine Craft with REFers (and Nevers, too)

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jun 10, 2013 17:54
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I thought there was a Mine Craft topic on RE before, but I guess there isn't. And the first page of this forum goes back a few years.
  ... Yeah, let's add to it.

So, like the recent-like news article said, Mine Craft. To not-so-much discuss the update but rather the dealings-on with, I thought striking up some good ol' utterly devoid conversation would be good. You know, like in the golden days.

The ones that I've been on with (Duth, Ems) and myself have each sorta built little pads, but we semi-talked out doing communal work. I mean, isn't that the point of a multi-player world? Either compete or co-op.

My little hillside cottage has a growing farm and cattle ranch, open to the public, and plans on opening a library upstairs for much-needed enchanting. Also needed, the Enchanting Table.
  Another point I wanted to make was a "welcome" center, so that when people first log in to the world, they aren't so vulnerable to the wrath of night, maybe some torches and chest with basic equipment?

Furthermore, I dunno what everyone else is doing, offering, or even planning on joining the server. (www.realtiysend.net, for those unaware of the update)

"Got any ideas?"
  "Hmm... animal socks!"
  - Noah and Geeker, Project G.K.R.
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 11, 2013 19:45
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

* Barney under the sheet * "I like it!"

Community center sounds neat. Quite frankly, the whole jungle clearing should be turned into a gated community of no-enemies.

I have enough magma to make a gate to the Nether. Dunno where that should go. I have too many levels to dare going into there yet, however, since I kinda want to enchant something with all that. I guess I can help you leather harvest.

I kinda like the Redstonery. I'm just trying to think of as much automation and spiffy stuff as possible. I guess minecarts are next.

Duth says that there is a village in the desert to the south-east.

I have some server modding to do. First is a sleep function, since I found out that it is eating 60% CPU when no one is logged in. After that, tho', I can start doing crazy stuff. Anyone have any suggestions? I know Gobbs has some stuff he made. Is any of that still relevant?

"All romance ends in despair -- or death, but most likely despair: gutwrenching despair." ~ Detective Lassiter, Psych
Zedd

Member #76

Jun 12, 2013 5:53
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I've just been building random walkways between jungle trees; nothing super constructive, but due to time difference, I haven't seen anyone else on there either.

Welcome centre sounds novel. I'll start working on that gated community stuff next time I'm in; certainly more productive than what I've been doing.

If Minecraft is good at one thing, that thing is eating CPU cycles... No suggestions for mods at the moment, I'd have to have a look at what was available.

The sword that kills is that which brings life.
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jun 12, 2013 12:27

That jungle tree house does seem like a good, spread out place to let everyone freely gab about. I honestly, tho', just meant a simple 5x5 pad at the default spawn point with some low walls and torches. The jungle is good and should be developed, but you gotta still gotta run there.
  Also good for if you haven't made a bed yet and die Shifty Eyes

I'm in the same boat as Ems. I hate when my levels poof away, so I'm waiting for an Enchantment Table before I do anything dicey. Then, it'll be magic book city.
  I'm expecting chests full of these books and an anvil to be under the library.

I want to ruin that desert town with an apartment complex to flood it with villagers and Iron Golems~!

I forgot that Zedd is an Aussie (unless I really forgot). I'll have to try and drag my lazy butt out of bed for some morning log-on. I mean, to do that, I'd just have to not play into the A.M. Frankly, I'm surprised I haven't seen you on yet.

As for modding, most of my delving was exploratory. You wouldn't believe how much work got sank into trying to expand or create a second terrain.png to allow easier block making.

Lemme think here. The easiest and most functional mod I made was Alternate Zombies (aka: Other Undead), which created a different skin and slightly changed states for the most common of foes depending on the biome spawned in. I only had two in order to test it, being the Mummy for the desert/anywhere hot, and the Wendigo for tundra/anywhere cold.

• I did make Giant Flowers (for when you mealed a red or yellow) but they really didn't offer much and were kinda odd, what with their oak leaves.

•   
  • The panda mob was just a tailored pig with less use. More of a pet.

•   
  • Scaffolding was a block of sticks that crumpled with just one punch.

•   
  • Spikes were a floor hazard.

•   
  • Swamp Trees were, I believe, changed to be just when oak grew in the mire? Well, I had them sapling.

•   
  • Green Mushrooms, or magic mushrooms, had no point than to be used as spell components, which a whole magic system never even got started.

•   

So, all-in-all, not much made due to the grief of trying to easily add new block faces. I do like the Other Undead one, and that's an easy drop-in, and I wouldn't mind expanding it. Just gotta make sure it still works with the latest version.

"Geeker! There's a time for pie, and a time for... for... not pie! This is a not pie time!"
  Lady MacBeth, Project G.K.R.
youroldpalPCFAN

Member #423

Jun 25, 2013 19:11
Master Account Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I'm thinking of building a Nether hub for you guys. I kinda assumed one was there because of the chapel, but I soon realized how wrong my assumption was.

If everyone's on board, what type of block should I use?

MintMan

Member #1

Jun 25, 2013 21:12

Huh? The chapel isn't a Nether hub? I could swear it was. Did something happen since I've been globetrotting away from the mainland?

Looking at it now. Seems pretty hubby to me. Had something else in mind?

"All romance ends in despair -- or death, but most likely despair: gutwrenching despair." ~ Detective Lassiter, Psych
youroldpalPCFAN

Member #423

Jun 26, 2013 10:12

I was thinking more something built in the Nether. Y'know, so that we don't just get thrown into a suicide mission. Even just a little cobblestone building with some storage and stuff so that you aren't just giving all your stuff away by coming in.

Duth

Member #419

Jun 26, 2013 16:24
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

A Nether base is exactly what I was thinking, mostly because of my accidentally angering every Zombie Pigman ever...

Definitely should be some sort of stone, since apparently Ghast fireballs aren't strong enough to blow up stone.
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 26, 2013 21:46

Oh, I have yet to venture into the never as I currently have some levels I'd like to enchant into something.

I just kinda figured that Duth first made the jump with enough equipment to encase the portal in something, most likely stone brick since Gobbs and I have piles of the stuff.

"Ugh, no wonder no one likes women." ~ Louise, Bob's Burgers
Duth

Member #419

Jun 27, 2013 24:12

I didn't think about that until after the Zombie Pigmen went on a rampage.

Ah, yes, the Never, the most dangerous of the Minecraft dimensions, where you have to dodge nigh-constant Pokemon discussion!

I've been waiting to make that joke for far too long.
youroldpalPCFAN

Member #423

Jun 27, 2013 19:54

Alright, I made a relatively-comfortable cobblestone casing around the portal and the inactive ones. I'll mine a whole load of netherrack (because Nether Fortresses are too risky) and smelt it into Nether Brick. I may expand the base as I go on.

MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 8, 2013 17:31

There sure has been a lot of development in the world. Here's what I have on the horizon ('cuz I'm trying to keep the ball rollin') for adding stuff, stuffily:

- Snow Golems on the inside of the walls of the sheltered community. Spiders get in, and it'd be nice to have some added fire power to keep them at bay.

- 1km of Rails, to achievement get. Thinking of expanding past the desert unto the far lands.

- Winterheim, the palace of ice and snow, aka: temple of the dog. A fortress of ice blocks founded when I find some damn dogs.

"Geeker! There's a time for pie, and a time for... for... not pie! This is a not pie time!"
  Lady MacBeth, Project G.K.R.
Duth

Member #419

Jul 13, 2013 16:17

I have the hardest time getting on the server; a lot of times it'll say "Can't resolve hostname" but if I refresh several times it'll eventually go through. Except now it just goes to "Can't reach server" and sometimes adds "Can't resolve hostname".

Oh, it showed up, but then when I tried to log in the connection was lost. And then my internet connection was lost. stupid internet connection. I'd chalk up all this to just my awful internet connection, but the "Can't resolve hostname" baffles me because I have it typed in right.

Anyway, to actually talk about the world itself, I was thinking of gathering more clay and making a building with designed walls--like each wall would be made of stained clay placed to be an image. It could be placed in the middle of the clearing area or somewhere between all the houses and everyone could design a wall (or I could just do one for myself and make it an extension of my house, depends on if everyone wants a wall).

Back to refreshing a thousand times... or, more like, back to losing internet connection again.
MintMan

Member #1

Jul 13, 2013 18:01

It is possible that you are catching the Dynamic DNS at a bad time between refreshes. That is the problem with not having a static IP, but I can't get business class internet at my place, so I don't have a whole lotta choice.

I think right now, it is set to more-up the domain name every three minutes, so instead of repeatedly trying, you could just fail and wait three minutes?

I guess it also depends where you are coming from. I'm on Verizon, and I know the path between me and certain servers (most notably YouTube) is completely overloaded (because of YouTube) and connections will often not work at all. You could be on that side of the equation.

Pictures walls sound nice. I am nearly clayless, and care little of stained clay, by and large, since the only color I would be interested in is blue, and all my Lapis is going to Lapis blocks for who-even-knows-what-but-it-is-blue.

"Don't judge me by my actions. Judge me by how I tell you I am inside." ~ Colin Quinn
Duth

Member #419

Jul 13, 2013 21:54

Fair enough, I guess. The walls wouldn't particularly need to have a focus in blast resistance, I suppose. Wool would work for a mural too, I think. I'm mostly just hardened clay-crazy, I surmise.

Yeah I'm on AT&T so that and Verizon are probably trying to... kill each other's... throats... every time they meet up. I'll try spacing out my attempts more.
youroldpalPCFAN

Member #423

Jul 18, 2013 17:38

I was thinking, should the main entrance to the town be a redstone door? I could copy something off of a youtube video, we could have anything from 3x3 to timbuktee.

MintMan

Member #1

Jul 19, 2013 20:54

I am all for building something outta redstone (since I've been saving my stacks) but as the entrance? Especially with your pension of being super-sexy to Creepers, PCfan, do you really want to make it out of something in 'splodin' range? Apparently, it has the same blast resistance as Stone Brick, and we do have enough of the stuff, so, yeah, go for it if ya want.

Of course, we rarely see the outsides. Unless you means some sort of arrangement where the redstone would be more internal? I dunno. I'm more for being original than for lifting YouTube idears, so I am just spinning stuff in my head rather than spelunking for Infringery.

Wait, where exactly is the "entrance" to the town? We kinda have doors scattered throughout. Are we going to make a "main" entrance? I guess from the spawn point to the desert village, since that seems to get the most foot traffic?

"Real-life role playing is hard." ~ Charlie, Supernatural
youroldpalPCFAN

Member #423

Jul 20, 2013 8:51

You know that doubledoor bit at the North-West of the town? When I saw that, I felt as if it would be a fine location for an entrance. Of course, the other doors will still be usable, but the main entrance will be the only one with style.

Don't you worry about my sex appeal. Any and all materials i'd use building the door are easily replacable. Plus, i'll probably build a wall around the immediate area if the construction has to go into the night. I'm also going to bulk up the wall just around the door if the redstone can't stay entirely underground.

Duth

Member #419

Jul 21, 2013 20:48

I forget where the spawn point is.

Speaking of the outsides, I went there for a late-night fightin' spree and forgot about the new regional difficulty. Lots of mobs! Lots of armor-wearing mobs! But, hey, I got some gold armor out of it. I still have two gold swords from when the zombie pigmen hated me. No idea what to do with them since gold is a terrible offensive material. You should be able to melt tools down into an item that can be anvil'd up into ingots or something.

But yeah outside seems to be composed of "minetrack area with the jungle treepath", "desert and desert town" (although that's further away), "hilly land with mob grinder", "... Mints' place", "that weird waterfall tower that remains a mystery until now", "pathetic undersea exploration box that really just houses the entrance to my ocean tunnel", "big clearing behind my house I made from chopping down all the trees and have built the ground floor of a new structure that will have fancy picture walls eventually", and... "the place I think the double door leads out to that doesn't really have anything else"??

Did I miss anything? Also, I too have lots of Redstone and no idea how to do a single thing with it.
youroldpalPCFAN

Member #423

Jul 30, 2013 19:20

Y'know, I had a thought.

I was replacing the villager's Seinfeld sign with one about Three's Company when I noticed that there were more than three. A LOT more. I took a walk around the town to digest this, and it clicked inside of me when I went around Gobbo's 2K rail. Because I went down that rail, and I came out the other side, where there was a slight bit of plains, a swamp seperated by a river, and a tall, seemingly expansive forest ripe with foilage. Once Gobbo finishes the rail, installs the powered rails, we could have the villagers travel across in minecarts. Then, we build a village in either of the biomes mentioned. It could be Trading Post II: Postemon Green. It could be a nice platform for us to just exhibit our architectual skills, I dunno. What do you guys think?
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Apr 24, 2024 6:40 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022