Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 19, 2024 13:10 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Writing a novel...

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
Duth

Member #419

Jun 10, 2015 10:25
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Haha, publish level. I thought I had reached that level a couple times, only to discover I hadn't even reached the last world. But then, I rarely have any idea what I'm doing.

Apparently some people actually do give free copies of books to people in exchange for reviews (not strictly good reviews, but just an honest ol' review, good or bad).
Camo

Member #5

Jul 24, 2015 20:26
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Still editing.

On a positive note I recently purchased a book from a guy at a pop culture event. I haven't read it, but the missus started to and made a comment that apparently the editing is really bad. Not sure if that means poor editing is acceptable, or if that it is ok to lower my standards. But have come to realise there probably aren't too many first time authors with perfectly edited books. There probably isn't too many perfectly edited books without perfectly good editors editing them either!

Poo.
MintMan

Member #1

Jul 24, 2015 22:42
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Editing standards certainly have dropped in recent years (read: the Age of the Interwebs), but that really isn't a good excuse. A poorly edited book can seriously negatively effect a reader, and it isn't even necessarily any badness to speak of on the author's behalf -- it is just word doing.

It is kind of like when you notice a gaping logical flaw in a movie (like two people in the same timezone talking on the phone somehow at different times of the day outside). It shouldn't effect how well written or the plot of the movie, but it leaves a bad taste in the viewer's mouth.

Don't bad taste. Not saying it has to be perfect, because I often find a typo in a published book even from years ago. Blatant disregard for editing (unless that is an effect you are going for, sure, why not?) is something to be avoided.

"Ugh, no wonder no one likes women." ~ Louise, Bob's Burgers
Camo

Member #5

Oct 31, 2015 20:04
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Done!

http://www.amazon.com.au/Amulet-Aesterus-Necrosanguin-Book-1-ebook/dp/B017EBN6YE/

I put it up for 6 bucks. It is available now but I'm polishing up the formating (Wasn't sure how it was going to upload), re-uploading then will do a freeby day. When I've decided on what day to make the free day, I'll post it on here and let you know. I'm ridiculously proud of it. Final product came through at just under 70k words.

Cutest Li'l Aussie Monsters around!
Camo

Member #5

Nov 2, 2015 24:36

Wednesday all day Pacific time it will be free. Wooo!

There is the possibility of displaying different signatures!
MintMan

Member #1

Nov 5, 2015 8:11
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I'm going to have to make sure any of my readers support the Kindle app. I normally just read things as an EPUB.

Wonder if I can just find a converter?

"I give up." ~ Virginia
  "The three sweetest words in the English language." ~ Ross, Raising Hope
Camo

Member #5

Nov 5, 2015 22:01

Did you get it Mints? I can email you a raw copy if you want.

English lessons with Camo
MadGoblin

Member #2

Nov 6, 2015 15:06

Boo. The day it was a freebie (and day informing me of such), I had occupying out-of-town company -- and occupying drinking -- which had me a-head a-smack when I learned about this all. Then I had some cake and forgot about stuff.

"I can't go back to teaching high school math. Those girls pretend they're not women, but they are."
  - Pete, 30 Rock
Camo

Member #5

Nov 7, 2015 20:00

Ooohh... What's better, Necrosanguin or beer? Tough question... Best go for both.

The most erotic rock band ever:EROTIC CREMATION

Returning soon? Beerpending
MintMan

Member #1

Nov 11, 2015 19:39

I don't know if I will ever get used to that "r" in there.

Anywho, haven't downloaded it yet. I'm in the middle of Plutarch's Lives, so I haven't gotten your book yet. I also missed the freebie day since I checked here before you posted and then, I dunno, when into a coma or something the day after. I can't keep track of all my consciousness wheelings and dealings.

I hear that Space Trombone is the way all the cool kids are sharing music these days.
Camo

Member #5

Nov 28, 2015 4:30

Haha, I was battling whether to put the r in or not, but the Necro and the sanguin fits together nicely with the story. I might do another free day later on. Should find some well respected reviewers or bloggers or something as I need to get some reviews up so I can become world famous and get a few sales maybe.

If you read this sig you should buy Camo a beer
MintMan

Member #1

Nov 29, 2015 10:38

I'll pick up a copy once I get through Lives. This also means that I'll be delaying my yearly Hobbit-ing to read Neconecrosangria instead. I hope you appreciate just what a sacrifice this is!

Would a neconecrosangria be a zombie cat drink?

"Real-life role playing is hard." ~ Charlie, Supernatural
Camo

Member #5

Nov 30, 2015 19:43

I think Necrosangria would be a cool zombie cat drink.

If you read this sig you should buy Camo a beer
Camo

Member #5

Nov 30, 2016 23:59

Woot woo! Published Necrosanguin Episode 2, Silvaste's Spear yesterday!
  Way better than the first, writing style and action. Not sure if many of you read Amulet of Aesterus, but it's biggest issue was that it took a while to get interesting, ep2 avoids this problem pretty bloody well!

Am now doing a massive overhaul of Amulet of Aesterus to bring it up to a better standard, finishing ep3, and then starting a side story about another town that is plagued by different monsters.

I'm really getting into this whole writing thing, and planning to release 4 books (2 80-100k, and 2 shorts) next year!

Check out my books!
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 1, 2016 23:35

Am I the only one super put-off by your middle name? I just didn't see Wayne coming.

Wow, you sure are churning these out, plus the revisions. How are you able to find the time?

"Let's get drunk enough to never have to think about this again." ~ Dean Wincester, Supernatural
draggy1234

Member #97

Dec 3, 2016 17:21
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wait...so are you going to release something like a second edition of the first chapter then? Or more like an inserted preface of a list of changes made?

Just curious.
Camo

Member #5

Dec 4, 2016 20:00

Yeah mate, I'm a full on middle name Wayne'o. Got my father to thank for that. Just ran with it as I couldn't be bothered trying to come up with a pen name and 'Cameron Smith' and 'C.W.Smith' were already in use. I just Couldn't find any Cameron Smith's pushing their middle Wayne.

I found setting goals and things helped me get it done. I was working nights, writing through the day, and sleeping not all that much. I'm going to try go full time in 2017, either a great or terrible idea, I'll tell you in a year.

I'm re-releasing the first one, not really any new content or chapters, just a big fix up. With a lot in life, I have a tendency to go "I'm going to do this now!", then do whatever 'this' is, regardless of my skill. I definitely didn't rush my first book, however what I consider 'complete' now, is much different to what it was a year ago. Right now I'm restructuring a lot of sentences and paragraphs, making characters speak a little truer to their nature (rather than like me voicing them all in different voices like a Monty Python skit), and just making the book feel a lot more professionally complete. For digital, it will automatically update, but obviously not for printed copies! Those edition 1's will be worth way more money if I make it! Haha!

Not sure if any of you lot on here actually read the first Necrosanguin (I'm assuming it's on the downloaded, to-read list), but the second one is a hell of a lot more exciting (First starts a bit slow, but is really enjoyable if you can make it 'back to Rocklaar'). My next intended book to release will be a bit shorter (aiming at about 40k words) and will be a permanently free, side story to the Necrosanguin series.

Poop.
Duth

Member #419

Dec 14, 2016 21:21
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

From my experience, having a job that is more of a seasonal thing can help quite a bit--you have to be really frugal, but you can still make money through part of the year (which you then spend on making books). This of course is draining on your ability to work on writing half the year, but you at least have the ability to sleep for the other half.

Another thing I've learned though is that if you're dedicated enough to buy a bunch of physical copies to sell directly (or perhaps even just one to show around) then depending on your day (or night, as it may be) job you may have direct access to people to try and sell the book to.
Camo

Member #5

Dec 22, 2016 19:01

So I've gone all out, practically rewrote the first book, built a website (No Lair, Shiny Things, or Happy Gym, but it still goes alright!).
  Also got the cover of the first book spiff'd up a bit too, with a new blurb which is actually attractive, not just me blurting out the first thing I could think of when describing the book!

So here's the website, http://www.cameronwaynesmith.com/ pretty simple, but it does the job. Will have a few more pics added after my brother's wedding and I get some photos looking like a proper respectable bloke.

Here's book one looking a little nicer, with attractive blurb:

He was unbeatable, but he never had to fight for his life…

Caige is a young and powerful martial artist who dreams of following in the heroic footsteps of his father. Upon discovering the imminent return of the creatures his father fought so hard to destroy, he has no other choice but to rise up, and find a way to save his hometown from the oncoming horde. As impossible events unfold, Caige finds himself making unlikely allies, and enemies, forcing him to look at the world in a new light. Certain death awaits everyone Caige knows, unless of course, he can work his way through this chaos.

Amulet of Aesterus is the first book in the Necrosanguin fantasy series. If you enjoy action packed fantasy, wonderful monsters, and larger than life battles, then Cameron Wayne Smith’s Necrosanguin series will ignite your imagination on fire.

-------------

Everything is looking pretty snazzy, and I'm happy, but I've found my biggest issue now is getting readers. I have plenty of people that will read it when they get around to it (Probably you right?) but that doesn't help me at all!

I'm writing another story which I intend to be completely free in order to attract those people that like to read a lot. I've been thinking about throwing it on Wattpad, release it week by week as a series of chapters.
  I also feel asking all the 'I'll read it when I have time' folks to click a link and read 2-5k words once a week wouldn't be asking too much. It would be like click bait, but not absolutely terrible and filled with ads.

Check out my books!
VinnyD

Member #9

Feb 2, 2017 18:57
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I like wayne, its close to Dwayne, which is the rock's name

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
Apr 19, 2024 13:10 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022