Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 24, 2024 3:55 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Writing a novel...

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
Camo

Member #5

May 11, 2013 5:18
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Whether I actually finish it or not is none of your business, but earlier this year I started writing a novel, got about 18 pages in (Which I just re-read and am inspired to continue writing) and I was wondering what audience I should aim it at. I originally thought adult, however my writing skills aren't quite up to the standard of Tolken, then I thought teenagers, but the protagonist likes solving things with his fist, drinking beer (Which I just changed to ale as I thought it may sound more fantasy) for breakfest and running around naked (As part of the areas culture, being nude is acceptable on the beach and stuff). So I thought, could I get in trouble for aiming this at teenagers. I also want one of the main characters, dead mother's back story to involve rape and I just wasn't sure if this would be cool for a teenager.

Is there a market for adult themed fantasy novels with not so fancy writing techniques, or should I just aim this novel at myself, as you know, I think it's freaking awesome.

Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile UPSIDE DOWN SMILEY Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile
   Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile !FOREVER! Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile

Camo Smile
boyachi

Member #92

May 18, 2013 14:02
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yes and no: you'd have to adapt it into a script. Many sitcoms operate this way, as well as a few summer movies. If you can get it long enough you might get a few seasons (or some dip$#!+ that wants to take your 5000 pages and squish it into 80 minutes).* class changes to Oracle of aDell-fi *(not to be confused with Adele-fi)

Mintman: god of web -Mai
youroldpalPCFAN

Member #423

Jun 26, 2013 15:21
Master Account Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

What i'd do first is finish the novel, or at least plan out the rest of the story. Through this, you may find that the story could be more suited to a sitcom or some other form of media. You should start worrying about the target audience when you're discussing it with an agent of some kind.

Camo

Member #5

Jul 4, 2013 21:59
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I don't think it would go as far out to be made into a movie, or a sitcom, but after a month of not writing anything I'm ready to hit back into it.
  Now at almost 40 pages and over 15000 words, that's the most effort I've put into a word document ever.

The most erotic rock band ever:EROTIC CREMATION

Returning soon? Beerpending
Duth

Member #419

Jul 5, 2013 13:50
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Internet.

The internet is an audience. Might be right up their (its?) alley!

Of course that depends on what you want to do with it. If you do want to go the whole nine yards, hit the big time, etc. and so on, getting an agent and a publishing company and all that, the discussion on what audience to target will probably come when you're getting an agent and get picked up.

If you're a do-it-yourself-er and wanna self-publish, well, first, I'd think that would make "the internet" as a target audience more viable. But, second, that would make your decision on what audience to target more important. Or, less important. It depends on how much effort you want to put into marketing and advertising.

Then of course there's the option of just putting it up for free online. This would involve less headache in the end but less having-an-amazing-hard-copy-oh-my-gourd-it's-so-wonderful. Also less money.
boyachi

Member #92

Feb 12, 2014 9:51
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

If you want to go with the times, you could grant the first chapter free and then allow people to sign up for the rest of it. The would get a chapter a week unless they paid extra to get the next chapter(s). I'd try to have five chapters ready by that point, however.

"To Hell: On Purpose" - MintMan
Camo

Member #5

Apr 11, 2015 1:42

Bump.

So two years later I'm almost finished writing my mega awesome blockbuster. I'm at about 120 something word pages, freaking huge writings! It's set in the land of Necrosanguin (So if this goes big maybe there will be that Microsoft paint game afterall!).
  Protagonists have had their adventure, s***s going down, bad guys are attacking the main town, main characters are dying, it's getting brutal!
  Anyways, bugger the target audience, pretty sure anyone that reads this will love it (And if they don't they should!).
  Couple of questions I have going through my mind.

1. The first few chapters suck. As someone that hadn't written anything bigger than a few pages in a blog, my writing style changed a bit. I also started the story with the concept of just introducing characters, the good guys town, the fact beer for breakfast is a social norm etc. But it's not very exciting. So the first question troubling me is whether to rewrite the first few chapters or create some kind of prelude of s*** that went down before hand? Setting the scene for the world involving battles between gods or something.

2. I do intend on making this a trilogy, or series or something or other, I have issues that haven't been resolved. Ok, so basically monsters are coming to attack hero's town, hero pissed off leader of big city when looking for help, hero goes back home, monsters attack town, defend against monsters end story Leader of big town does nothing BUT WHAT ABOUT THE SEQUEL? Yes, planning for his army to come and attack at the start of the sequel.
  What's getting me with this is I kind of want the first story to be an enjoyable stand alone story, as I may get lazy or eaten by an orca and stop writing. So I really don't want a cheesy, feeling of the story is over, but you are just waiting for the sequel. I would rather people want to read the sequel as they enjoyed the first and want to know what happens with the characters later. So the second question on my mind is whether to make the initial story longer and tie all loose ends, or is succeeding against an overwhelming enemy after a long journey good enough?

English lessons with Camo
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 13, 2015 22:52

1) If the beginning sucks, rewrite it. Or at least edit it.
  It doesn't sound like you are sentimental, and it seems like it is clashing with the rest of the story's styles. I've read stuff where it was obvious the author changed (as a writer) during the progress of a work, and it is never a good realization.

I've always thought that authors going back and editing the start of a story is how they work that kickawesome foreshadowing into things.

2) It is amazing how many big books end anti-climatically. It is just sort of "Oh, welp, I guess that's something we'll have to do next week, same Bat-time."
  The thing is, some ending happens (or should happen) even if it is not the end to the whole thing. If you leave the reader in a lurch, with all sort of unresolved issues and saying pointing to the "Next time, on Necosanguine" sign, riots-a-plenty. If you resolve all(/most) issues except oh yeah Bad Guy Army, then you have suspense/expectation/cliffhanging/basejumping without the sense of being ripped off because the reader still got something. They didn't get everything, mind you, but enough to sate the bloodlust.

And isn't that was writing is all about? Sating bloodlust?

... No, really, I'm asking seriously. Isn't it?

"Don't judge me by my actions. Judge me by how I tell you I am inside." ~ Colin Quinn
Camo

Member #5

Apr 14, 2015 5:18

I must admit, my bloodlust generally is more sated when I've had a good stint writing. Getting really damn satiated as I get near the end of this thing! All the people dying everywhere! I had to do it.
  I'm actually heading to one of my favorite little getaways tomorrow, Stanage Bay Qld for a bit to try and finish this thing. Will rewrite the first couple of chapters when I'm done. Cheers for that Mints, I'll try keep the writing style more consistent, assuming my later style is bettererer.
  When I'm done and at that editing stage would any of you guys like to do a proof read? Their'll prabably be planty of bed spalling end grandma tho.

There is the possibility of displaying different signatures!
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 14, 2015 8:12

Sure, send it my way. I've done proofreading for novel (just one) before. Well, the official credit is "for looking at early drafts and telling [him he] was stupid."

I hear that Space Trombone is the way all the cool kids are sharing music these days.
Camo

Member #5

Apr 14, 2015 17:56

Cheers Mints! Hopefully after 150 or so pages I don't score the same verdict!

The most erotic rock band ever:EROTIC CREMATION

Returning soon? Beerpending
Duth

Member #419

Apr 14, 2015 23:25
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Apr 13, 2015 22:52, MintMan said:

1)2) It is amazing how many big books end anti-climatically. It is just sort of "Oh, welp, I guess that's something we'll have to do next week, same Bat-time."

I hereby declare all stories must now end with the line "Now let's go save the princess!"

I have noticed that usually when I edit something, I get better halfway through as I think "wait, doing things this way would be better!" What this means is you never stop editing it goes on forever all published novels are incomplete. Okay but no yeah rewrite/edit the beginning, which will then make it better than the middle and ending. but no one will read more than the beginning so

Action at the start isn't necessarily a requirement--you do need to introduce characters and setting and such after all--but you don't want it to be unexciting. If the prelude gods battling is important to the story, sure, but the important parts should probably go first. You could cheat and have chapter one be from the middle of the plot and then go "man, what is even going on here, maybe we should go back to start." I have a book on how not to write a novel, but I forget what it says about that. Anyway, if you can mix the setting the setting (not a typo?) with action or suspense then that would be a thing. I mean, definitely rewrite the chapters. Then see where to go from there.

Also, that verdict was one that I gave myself.
Camo

Member #5

Apr 17, 2015 20:46

Ah I shouldn't be stuck over editing, finished the story a couple of days ago and just wanna hook into the sequel! I ended up writing an extra 3 pages in the intro. Starts with the protagonist fighting a rhino like creature with his bare hands to complete a challenge set by his master. Keeping the first few chapters similar but with better wording and paragraph structure. 30 pages into editing I've realized my writing style really sucked for quite a while! Will push through on the editing front and hopefully finish the bugger in the next week or so. Pretty proud of myself though.

If you read this sig you should buy Camo a beer
Camo

Member #5

Apr 23, 2015 3:57

Oooooh! My first legit double post!

So I finished my edits and mailed it to ya Mintman, twice actually to your Yahoo account. Pretty bloody happy with it too Big Smile

Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile UPSIDE DOWN SMILEY Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile
   Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile !FOREVER! Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile

Camo Smile
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 25, 2015 19:28

I have received nothing... twice! Not even in my spammies folder.

I have an addy listed on every one of my forum posts; can't you just send it there?

"I give up." ~ Virginia
  "The three sweetest words in the English language." ~ Ross, Raising Hope
Camo

Member #5

Apr 25, 2015 21:24

Ahhh... Sent again to RE email!
  Should have it now once Mints!

If you read this sig you should buy Camo a beer
Camo

Member #5

Jun 3, 2015 7:04

Bump.

Loving the double post feature!

You end up getting it Mints? I took all that advice and sexafied it. Got good feedback on the story (and the recreated start too!) Is full of action, kicks arse and is all round awesome and original. I also was informed my grammar is s*** and I need to edit harder.

A bit over half way through my third edit now (This thing is going to be awesome when finished!) and also written about 1/4 of the second instalment (Which is currently really awesome but grammar rooted).

Not sure if the 3rd edit will make the cut or if it will need a 4th or 5th edit but I'm planning on self publishing the bastard. Free copies for everyone on here. In exchange for a good review of course!

I don't think it would ever become a TV show or movie as it would require a budget that would make Avatar look like an episode of Seinfeld.

There is the possibility of displaying different signatures!
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 7, 2015 19:25

Disallowing double-posting in the first place was really just a douche-ism/anti-usability thing on my part because so many newbies would wonder why their posts weren't being answered in an hour's time. I truthfully should have always made it at most a day lockout.

Anywho, I was smack-dab in the middle of the Iliad when you sent me Nec(r?)osanguin. I finished the Iliad (dead tree edition) this week, and then my tablet didn't power on.
  Whoops. I expected more from this top-notch Chinese sweatshop craftmanchildship!

It seems to be having some battery issues. I had it working a while ago, but it just ran out of juice again -- and it is plugged in and charging.
  I've seen this happen before; the actual battery charge differs from the charge that is detected. It happens when I don't use it for a while.

So hopefully I'll start Necr?sanguine? tomorrow -- tablet permitting.

I hear that Space Trombone is the way all the cool kids are sharing music these days.
Camo

Member #5

Jun 8, 2015 3:01

Yeah the R is in there. Sounds like it's time for a new tablet! I would recommend not reading it yet. I am still learning my grammar. Next edit should have it at an almost ready to publish level. Might be there in a week or 2 depending on my work shifts.

Poo.
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 8, 2015 7:46

Oh, okay... I'll wait then. (Hooray for wonky tablet?)

This is actually my third tablet: my first is stuck in an unrecoverable bootloader loop (also, I dropped it), the second works but is gigantic, and then there is this one I got because it was cheap (and comparable to a dev board of the same price without the cap touch screen).

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
Apr 24, 2024 3:55 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022