Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 24, 2024 1:02 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: To Become the Last Man Standing...

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
boyachi

Member #92

Apr 27, 2010 24:59
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Aiight. It's all gone through our heads at sometime, right? What would it take to become a super hero?
  Okay, then if that doesn't do it for you, what would it take to survive a zombie apocalypse.
  If you want something more realistic, how about surviving your an invading army?

I hate to sound like Burt, from Tremors but in one night I've found for under a thousand American dollars (not factoring shipping), enough equipment to make me feel almost invincible if someone either of the first two options occur. My only problem so far is that I haven't found bullet proof pants just yet.

So um, any ideas about going along surviving any of these, or at the very least, have you seen the movie Kickass yet?

"My side is dead, my beliefs have been forgotten, my youth has left me and my innocence was slaughtered infront my eyes. Why should I care when it is only my life on the line?" - Neverdais
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Apr 30, 2010 24:05
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

How would you fare against rocket propelled chainsaws?
  If you've got something that could protect you from them, I would sure like to know what. Also, how you would fare against zombies would largely depend on what type of zombies they were. If they're some magical kind, you're in even bigger trouble.
Zedd

Member #76

Apr 30, 2010 5:17
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Becoming a superhero is easy. You just need to get bitten by a spider, or be in the rough vicinity of some gamma rays. Or pick up a stick in a freakin' cave!

Personally, I think you'd be better off with that sort of thing.

...But In the end, isn't it always the same question, and always the same answer?
boyachi

Member #92

May 1, 2010 12:08
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Am I trying to protect myself from rocket propelled chainsaws or zombies? At that case I'd go with the anti-rifle shield I saw for sale online for 22 pounds.
  As for zombies, I think that a friend of mine is right, and swat type armor is the best way to go, however I might argue that a motorcycle helmet might be harder to fall off than a swat helmet, even though the swat helmet's face plate would provide better protection. If it isn't on you, it isn't saving crap. There are kevlar dolphin training gloves, kelvar biker pants, kevlar vests and leather jackets. Thick boots will protect your feet. There are probably kevlar biker jackets, I haven't checked at the moment.
  At this point the weapon of choice for zombie killing is more open to choices. A chainsaw can be heavy, run out of gas, and most importantly is loud. If we are talking about magical/Romero zombies, weapon volume won't matter as much, since a mob will be slow to find your location. L4D(Left 4 Dead)/rage zombies however will rush a noise in droves. Radial damage/fleeing is the most viable answer at this point. This is also in part why I feel that firearms(at least nonsilenced) would be a bad idea for dealing with rage zombies.
  I am rather curious, why do you say magical zombies would be harder to deal with than rage zombies?

As for superhero style, I'm talking Watchmen style heroes (sans Dr Manhattan), Batman, The Question, Dick Tracy, Gang Buster, Kickass. I mean, I've seen and own books on how to become batman. Most of us are still at a young enough age that we could still persue it through training. The main problem is of course, staying alive (moreso than money, especially considering whether or not you are robbing the criminals you take down)

The New Dawn has risen. Are you the one to unlock it?
Rook

Member #112

May 2, 2010 23:48
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Body armor is USELESS against hand-to-hand combatants. They GRAB. And considering Kevlar is ENTIRELY USELESS against Knives and other pointy objects, you'd be better off in a t-shirt.

As for fast zombies vs. slow zombies, I personally don't have a preference. Slow zombies are less DANGEROUS, but harder to kill (MUST be a headshot). Fast zombies are MORE dangerous, but you can kill them like a normal human (i.e. destruction of the heart). Problem is, they don't feel pain...

"You might say it's sexist to treat women like a baseball card collecting mini-game so you can ogle their luscious, rounded boobies and melt away between their smooth, milky thighs as the sweat runs in rivulets from their writhing, sensuous body, but... Sorry, I forgot where I was going with that."
  --Yahtzee Croshaw, Zero Punctuation
draggy1234

Member #97

May 3, 2010 24:49
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Could someone clarify the details of the zombies being referred to here? I don't particularly dabble much in the horror genre, so my knowledge is restricted to mostly fantasy adventure type settings. To me, at least, there is a very big difference between a horde of sluggish, brainless, expendable corpses and a group of zombies with black belts in martial arts who also know how to use guns and explosives, and are wearing body armor to boot (would the latter start falling into the invading army situation?).

Also, in my opinion, if there are magical zombies around, chances are there's an evil necromancer nearby who'll quickly become a much higher priority threat than any horde. Happen to have any equipment that protects well against magic? Tongue

EDIT: Found this as a potential reference, if anybody is interested.

Humans vs. Zombies

How well does a flamethrower work in these situations again?

[Edited by draggy1234 on May 3, 2010 1:04]
boyachi

Member #92

May 3, 2010 18:22

* uses Summon Zombie *

Now, let's look at this feller here. He's not too bright, but depending on the type, it's ravenous nature can lead the way to persistence and ingenuity. Much more than the damned good luck they sometimes have.
  The first type would be more of classical. The dead risen. Through sorcery or other means (advanced science, which is basically the same as magic if it is beyond our understanding). This type can only be (re)killed by lethal brain trauma. No, reading it fanfics will NOT do the job. This type is most famous (to pop culture) because of George Romero, famous zombie movie director. These zombies are typically slow, mobile as senior citizens, and stupid, but immortal unless dealt a deathblow to their skulls. Infection only triggers when the infected is actually dead, if at all, considering types of magic and if there is anything remaining of a potential host.

More recent zombies are capable of running, jumping, climbing, holding objects, and sometimes even opening doors. The infection typically spreads immediately, even if the subject is still alive! The zombies, made popular by movies like 28 Days Later and games like Left 4 Dead can die from mortal wounds and starvation.

Setting a more recent, or Rage zombie on fire, would actually kill it, however, there is a good chance that it will charge you while still ablaze. A classical zombie...that all depends. If done by black magic, yes, it will kill it. If not, you have an unfazed, burning corpse shambling your way. This is why you should NEVER nuke a non-Rage zombie infestation. You'd have radioactive zombies shambling about, spreading their radiation wherever they wander.

If anyone else would like to add or even correct this post, please do. I know more about pokemon than I do about zombies, and I stopped learning halfway through R/S/E.

EDIT: Also found this link dealing with types and flamethrower questions here

"My side is dead, my beliefs have been forgotten, my youth has left me and my innocence was slaughtered infront my eyes. Why should I care when it is only my life on the line?" - Neverdais

[Edited by boyachi on May 3, 2010 18:30]
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

May 4, 2010 6:51

Well, zombies sourced from magic, you have to potentially worry about other magical factors, like not staying put even if you smash its head to bits and have flayed all the remaining flesh from its bones. How do you think those skeletal warriors started out?!

Also of note, you seem to have messed up something on that summoning, I think, as I can't target it. A pity, Blaster is capable of taking out magical and non-magical zombies!* class jumps to the Adventurer Mark *
MadGoblin

Member #2

May 4, 2010 7:07

Zombies, much like Graboids, could be avoided with access to higher ground. Those rigor mortis affected joints aren't much for climbing, be it ladders or stairs. Of course, much like how the grab-worms evolved, your newer and lamer undead aren't as vulnerable. Bah! The black magic/unholy kind is the only way to go. Then, they can even be skeletal and not have to worry about things like "science". I denounce that sorcery! * class changes to Cleric to use Turn Undead *
  Hm, surviving zombies and an invasion? Why does this sound ReDead -- I mean, familiar to me?

"Like I always say, an enemy is just a friend who is trying to kill you."
  "... I have no idea what that means."
  - Geeker and Larry, Project G.K.R.
boyachi

Member #92

May 4, 2010 7:23

* brings forth a for-zombie on MadGoblin appearing between reading Lugiatrainer and hitting reply * I just got up, sudden added conversation only fuels the idea that I'm still asleep.
  Good point with stairs versus magic type. These seem to be pretty good deterent, but that doesn't mean that one shouldn't take out the staircase at a home or whatever recently commandeered zombie "fort" to keep a mob from flowing up them.
  I'm surprised ReDead didn't spawn this thread already, now that you mention it.

"To Hell: On Purpose" - MintMan

[Edited by boyachi on May 4, 2010 7:25]

[Edited by boyachi on May 4, 2010 7:26]
Sword
draggy1234

Member #97

May 5, 2010 3:49
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, now that I have a better idea of these zombies...I'd probably try the "911 call the authorities" option and hope they're experts on this sort of situation. Big Smile

Above aside, I'm kinda at a loss as to what would be the course of action in a "first contact" situation. I mean, some of the equipment and associated tactics mentioned above would be nice to have and use when fighting off zombies, but what about the less-than-ideal situations? Take, for example, eating a meal at a restaurant or reading at the library or something similar when first contact with zombies occur (not actual contact of course; otherwise the odds are already stacked against you Tongue ) without any prior preparation. All I can see myself doing then is throwing whatever moderately heavy stuff I can find at the horde and running away. And no, I'm not the kind of person who's gonna shove other people towards the zombies as fodder. Shifty Eyes

* class changes to Dervish in pursuit of the Necromancer class *

(Yes, there is a Necromancer class; I checked the help file, and it seems quite appropriate to have someone be one for this topic. Get searching!)
boyachi

Member #92

May 5, 2010 21:15

I'll tackle the resturant first. If you are at a roadside diner, you'll want out of there, grab your silverware and your plate and use it to bash your way outdoors. If you are in a suburban/urban resturant, you'll be arguably safer in the resturant than outside, where the outbreak is more prevailent.* uses Curse on for zombie because it's blocking the way to my car with hundreds of its friends * You'll want to get to one of three places asap:
  Arrow In/amongst/on the ceiling/roof
  Arrow In a bathroom that locks (if only the stall door locks, that does not count.
  Arrow In the kitchen.
  The idea is to get to a place where you can either defend yourself or hide until the zombies desperse. Hiding in the ceiling would give you access to different areas of the resturant and also a good way to check to watch the zombie population from a safe distance. This is not always a possible option. The roof would keep the zombies from you, but it cuts you from resources and puts you out in the elements. I say the kitchen because you can grab mallets and knives and pans to defend yourself as well as the food and water supply (btw, bathroom has steady water supply, think: sink). In my opinion it would be an excellent rally/last stand point for survivors to take out as mainy zombies left in the resturant as possible.

As for the library, climb atop the shelves, or make it to lockable rooms/bathrooms. Just make sure that the lockable room you choose doesn't have big glass windows, unless they are covered by curtains. You might want to grab a reference book as a bludgeon/shield on your way. I'm having trouble thinking of any better weapon that would be common at a library, unless there is a community paper cutter, in which case your should detach the blade and wield your impromptu machete against the undead menace.

The cops will not save you, as they will already be amassed trying to stop an outbreak at a location far more vital than "your home".

Mintman: god of web -Mai
Sword
Camo

Member #5

May 24, 2010 6:18
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Lightsabre beats zombie.

Just get drunk and flail swords around I'm pretty sure 90% of the population could handle themself with a sword against someone without another sword or gun or better weapon, lightsabres are a bonus.

Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile UPSIDE DOWN SMILEY Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile
   Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile !FOREVER! Camo Smile Camo Smile Camo Smile

Camo Smile
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 24, 2024 1:02 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022