Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 28, 2024 12:54 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Holy Carp!!

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Rook

Member #112

Apr 2, 2009 20:18
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I've been MIA for THREE YEARS and my last post is still in the top three pages..... Jiminy Jillickers! Laughing

So, how the heck are ya? What'd I miss?

"The very concept of fairness makes me laugh."
  -- A friend of mine from fencing class.
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 2, 2009 22:16
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

You've been gone for three years? Is it sad that I didn't notice? Maybe that's why you didn't respond to any of my BD challenges...

I was actually going through my sketchbook, lookin' at stuff that happened -- yup -- three years ago, according to the dates scrawled next to them, and it sorta seems like it was just a bit ago.

I've been sinking too much time into compiled works and neglecting all the RE classics Crying

EDIT: And really, since you've only been gone since December '06, your absence has been less than three years. More like two-and-a-quarter. Come back in eight months, jerk!

"You're a wuss -- part wimp, part puss!" ~ House

[Edited by MintMan on Apr 2, 2009 22:49]
Rook

Member #112

Apr 2, 2009 22:48
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

And my absence wasn't noticed...Laughing Maybe that's why my site search for "Whatever happened to Rook, that handsome fellow" turned up 0 results. I had to check, being the ever-so-slightly narcissistic little wanker that I am.

New and improved Rook! All the delicious Rook your mouth can handle, with only half the n00b-ey calories! (Not gonna set that bar too high though.)

Point is I'm back. Permanently or otherwise. But don't worry, as soon as my Xbox comes back, I'll have better things to do. Tongue

So what are these compiled works you speak of? Oh ma gosh a preview button....Man, I've been gone a LONG time...

"There's an "I" in "team" the way I spell it.
  --Stephen Colbert
Blade

Member #99

Apr 3, 2009 18:21
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wel-come! *

*by posting on the forum you wave all rights to sanity, gender and defer power of attorney under section 625 of the constitutional law of crap that comes out of my mouth and bah....

* uses QuakeTrigger on Rook *

Ho! Ho! Ho! to the gameboy I go
  To heal my heart and drown my woe.
  Rain may fall and wind may gale,
  But my battery is yet to fail.
  So in a dank corner I will lie,
  And watch the hours go sailing by.
  And while I lie in this nintendo-induced trance,
  I decide I'll give Pokemon Crystal a chance.
  --my random quotation exploitation

Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Apr 4, 2009 9:56

Sweet magoolie-gala. Is that an expression? Well, it is now.

Seems the last time you were around was when I made that big ol' RE group picture. It's sad to think that it was that long.

Even sadder to think all that hasn't happened around these parts. Really, it's like one big stagnation. Seems the scourge of sloth has had its tentacles wrapped around the RE throat. * class changes to Exorcist for expulsionary powers * Out, ye daemons of inactivity! Out and... and... ah, I'm tried, screw it.

"Perhaps someone you know has been an octopus all along... Perhaps everyone but you."
  - Jonathan Wojcik, Bog Leech
boyachi

Member #92

Apr 4, 2009 10:47

Never heard Magoolie-gala, but there was always Goongala, which was the battle cry of Casey Jones. Perhaps yours belongs to his 9yo cousin, Angel? (Not the vampire that is now on Bones)
  I had noticed you had gone MIA Rook, but I was also attempting to make my posts appear sober (please make note that I didn't say "make more sober posts").
  But almost three years? Damn. In that time I might have been able to finish watching the director's cut of Watchmen, if only it had came out that early.
  You find that many of us have grown up, in many ways. Take for example:...
  Well, at I...got nothing. Welcome back, Rook, to the place where everybody knows your name *if only because your name is attached to every post you write*

Mintman: god of web -Mai
Rook

Member #112

Apr 4, 2009 19:11

Frick, can't even remember how to use FtRPG. How do I put the fun little texty stuff around ma attacks again?

So basically, since I left, nothing's happened in these parts. Coincidence? Probably. After all, correlation isn't causation...

And wow, after reading Gobbo's post I feel like my lexile has dropped over these few short years... But then again, with words like magoolie-gala, maybe it's not just me...

"I can't find any kids! It's like they ditched me in advance!"
  -- Lisa Simpson, The Simpsons

[Edited by Rook on Apr 4, 2009 19:16]
Dragon_Kirby

Member #226

Apr 4, 2009 20:10
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

RE group picture? The one I was in?

Funny you should mention Sloth...I think I've got something around here...* uses Sloth on Rook *

COOKIE!

Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 5, 2009 10:10

You could always use the new FtRPG console (spiffier than before) or, y'know, the Help section. You have been gone for a while -- you forget that I berate blokes who don't use FAQs! * goes down memory lane with a double-colon and uses LandSmite on Rook * Refresh yer memory now?

As for the compiled works, those would include Daemon Dawn (which has a compiled portion), Kirby Java, and some unreleased MMOs. With the general members-not-caring going on around here, you can see why something like an MMO would so totally not fly.
  I put a lot into the REWS, and the more I work on it, the less people seem to care. I keep going to these alternate avenues to try an' pique some interest, often going schizo and bouncing around like I have ADHD on whether or not a new property would attract the much-needed but never-getted stayitude for RE.

Then there is an RoR online board game I was working on, but that's been sidetracked until May so that I can devote myself into rushing out another Kirby game fairly quickly. I kinda want my Dream Land fan game to do what Pokémon did for me back in the day -- get a foothold for a different fan base.

"Damn you, sexy fairer sex!" ~ MadGoblin

[Edited by MintMan on Apr 5, 2009 10:11]
Sword
boyachi

Member #92

Apr 5, 2009 18:47

For any questions about how to use FtRPG, Rook, check the faq. Oh, how I missed the noobishnessequely aspect you brought. Try checking the check box to "open FtRPG console" for starters. :'

Mintman: god of web -Mai
Rook

Member #112

Apr 5, 2009 20:43

* suddenly noticing the help bar at the top of the page, Rook uses MistBarrier to protect himself from all the concentrated 'joy' headed his way *

Thanks. Needed that. Oh and I loved Daemon Dawn. I recently took a computer science course. I had no idea you could use QBASIC like that. I thought I was good when I made the letter G with one circle statement. Laughing

"There's an "I" in "team" the way I spell it.
  --Stephen Colbert
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 5, 2009 21:26

QBASIC has become neglected ever since simple and more usable game generators started populating the internet. Time was, people wanted to learn to make games; now, they just want to make games, and they do so with absolutely zero effort even tho' the software does all the work for them!
  QBASIC was the true Beginners All-Purpose Code (and some other letters, too Wink ): it was simple, it taught novices the ropes, and it had immediate graphics. Everything else requires handling resources or some other rigmarole that complicates going from point A to the fun point B.

When I first got online, there were tons of QBASIC game sites. Since that time, the number has severely dwindled, and most of the games in QBASIC actually use bits of C or assembly, so a lot of people don't know it can be used for games. Well, I did use a lot of Comp Sci to get around QB's limitations, but still -- the stuff is pure.
  Regardless, there are little places you can even go online for help making QBASIC games any more. For some reason, it has the snobbiest community ever, which is hilarious considering that they are using a beyond-beginner language. It is like these people are just trying to make people upgrade to more advanced languages.

But QB is fun and nostalgic. And there was a point I had when I started writing this, but I since forgot. Maybe it was that QBASIC is still better than C#. Probably...

"I sentence you to life!"
  "You moron, I'm already alive." ~ Homer Simpson
Rook

Member #112

Apr 5, 2009 22:22

It's sad because I really did enjoy programming in QB for the short time that I could. It was the language I learned on, it will always hold a place in my decrepit little heart. Crying

I HATED Visual Basic though. Mainly because it's less programming, more moving boxes. C++ was fun, Java however was not (maybe it was the interface). And for some reason, the Flash application did NOT like me at all. I'd make a movie, the code would be sound, even after my instructor checked it out, and it would still not work. I probably lost about 3 projects that way, had to start over.

And Holy Carp again, I wish you had updated the Tatz a long time ago. I'm liking this fear thing quite a bit... Too bad I'm such a high level. But then again, nothing's stopping me from going way past 20...

"I can't find any kids! It's like they ditched me in advance!"
  -- Lisa Simpson, The Simpsons

[Edited by Rook on Apr 5, 2009 22:34]
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 6, 2009 24:01

Scaring very well may be the Tatzy's best friend ever. It allowed a guy (Hysobia) who didn't even have a second familiar to become the top BD player for a month or so.

I take back what I said about C#; Visual BASIC is the worst language ever. Get the simplistic commands of BASIC and try to let them do complicated thing. The result? Crap!
  The Q doesn't pretend; it is a simple language for simple things, and it serves that purpose well. Little games or nigh-on scripting Windows I/O, it's your man.
  For the more complex, you need a robust syntax, like C++. Special purposes may also use Java or (tho' I hate 'em) .NET something-or-the-other.
  Visual, however, has no niche other than to torture.

Speaking of Java, what was your interface? Eclipse? I hate that thing (I hate a lot, apparently Slanted Mouth ). I strictly use the command line. 'Course, I do everything from the command line usually, but with C++, I can at least use Visual Studio. Never understood Eclipse. What if I don't want to make a package, jerk?!
  In situations that want me to use it (like in computer labs), I carry around batch files that'll set up the command line environment for whatever particular local paths I frequent.
  You aren't missing much with Java, tho'. As far as I am concerned, the thing is only useful for applets. Other than that, it is just a slower version of C++ that has as many good trade-offs as bad.

"How are bran flakes 'extreme'?"
  "It was the '90s, honey. Everything was extreme." ~ Out At Home
Rook

Member #112

Apr 6, 2009 1:17

No, it was command line. I just found using Notepad to be harder to read than the C++ compiler that I was used to. Plus, using command line to find my errors was a pain too. "Yeah, it's on line 168. Or you forgot a semicolon. Something like that..." At least with a nice interface you don't have to count line-by-line to find it.

I tended to get crazy errors. Yeah, I kinda suck.

Almost forgot about my other familiar. And my two L1 B-Monsters...

I'm not slacking, my code's compiling.
  --xkcd
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 6, 2009 7:59

Oh, Notepad. Yeah, you need Notepad++ madly. Syntax highlight, tabbing, and line numbers that work. It's the best text editor for code out there! (on Windows.)
Dragon_Kirby

Member #226

Apr 6, 2009 21:10
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, I did learn a bit with Q-BASIC in a computer programming elective in middle school...that's about it.

* sets a secret GOTO *

MANGO!
Sword
Rook

Member #112

Apr 7, 2009 20:11

Heh. We were warned NEVER to use those. It'd warrant 40 lashes with a wet noodle.

"Or I could use one little goto instead..."
  --xkcd

[Edited by Rook on Apr 7, 2009 20:12]
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Mar 28, 2024 12:54 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022