Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 24, 2024 8:29 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Another IE-spawned problem

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Zedd

Member #76

Mar 9, 2008 3:15
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

OK, so I'm reduced to using IE again. The problem this time is that, as far as I'm aware, I can't see any discussion boards on REWS. They were working fine on Firefox this morning, so I assume it's the browser...

To be able to best ten men with spirit alone is to be invincible.

[Edited by Zedd on Mar 9, 2008 3:23]
MintMan

Member #1

Mar 9, 2008 3:27
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

They're all workin' fine on my IE (I've been checking!), so I think it is a you-spawned problem rather than an IE-spawned one. 'Course, this is also the newest version...

Did you try refreshing the page? I did update the style sheets recently, although something should still show up as opposed to nothing.

The pages were a bit misformated if one wasn't logged-in, but my tracking says you typically are and the discussions still showed up fine, so I doubt that is what you were seeing, either.

"To heck with the robots; give me a transparent slut!" ~ David Letter -- Good to be back!

[Edited by MintMan on Mar 9, 2008 3:36]
Zedd

Member #76

Mar 9, 2008 4:33
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Odd... I get a blank, black page. The ones for the bestiary and the comic still show up. Just not the ones on REWS. Tried refreshing. This is a reasonably recent version of IE (probably not the most recent though... Uhhh... 7.0.5730.11).

Any ideas?

The sword that kills is that which brings life.
MintMan

Member #1

Mar 9, 2008 11:43
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I'm sorry, but there simply is not a problem on this side. If you can see the other discussions, then there isn't a style issue. Everything else is server-side, which means however everyone else sees it, you should be, too. I even logged into your account to view things just to make sure there wasn't something off in your preferences that was buggering it. Your version checks out, too.

The only thing I can even close to think of is that somehow your horribly out-of-date RPeX URLs are messing with things somehow. That link you posted to your scratch data just completely mystifies me seeing as how any normal browser (IE included -- I checked) will update the URL bar of the page you are viewing to the URL the redirect sends. So, you shouldn't even have any RPeX URLs anymore, although I still don't see why that would do anything.

"I was supposed to be that goat!" ~ Shawn Spencer, Psych
Battalon127

Member #25

Mar 9, 2008 14:17
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

*Enter Tech Support mode! Battalon127 transforms into IT Professional! Gains +5 in Listening. Gains +20 in Guessing. Gains +30 in Assholery.*

Wait, scratch that last one. Anyway, I'm going to fall back on my standby at work and try the basics. Do you know how to clear your cache? Also, I believe IE7 has a safe mode that you can use to turn off plug-ins in case one of them is inexplicably causing a problem. Try clearing your cache first though. That works more often than you'd think.

PS- I tried to find the icon that looked most professional. I figured, put a Nidhogg in casual work clothes and a headset and he's the ideal techie.

How ironic. He's blind after a lifetime of enjoying being able to see. ~Homer Simpson
MintMan

Member #1

Mar 9, 2008 21:02

One possibility I've considered is some sort of security issue, although I hiked up the settings on my browser and still couldn't get things to disappear.
  Or maybe nothing at all disappeared and instead it was merely miscolored.

Then, of course, there is the consideration that other people are not privvy to debugging knowledge and the problem is only triggered at a certain entry point and is being reported as from all points, like only a link from the message center or something.

Also, isn't any emoticon in work clothes and a headset the ideal techie?

"To heck with the robots; give me a transparent slut!" ~ David Letter -- Good to be back!
Zedd

Member #76

Mar 10, 2008 1:49

Yeah, clearing the cache did it... I mean, I guessed it was at my end after the first reply, but I wasn't aware my IE was being that bad. Anyway, thanks. I'll try that first in future.

Why would anyone call anything 'phenolphthalein'?
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Mar 11, 2008 14:59

You weren't aware that IE was being that bad?? IE is the mutated spawn of Satan and Barney! Its badness is like water's wetness!
MintMan

Member #1

Mar 11, 2008 15:23

Yeah, how dare Zedd not be a tool and use something that's the bastard child of the propaganda machine and internet hipsters Mean Look This blog I read so totally said to download it.

As Zedd has already stated elsewhere, sometimes, you just don't have a choice. For example, I'm using that whore of a browser FireFork right now since I'm not at home with my Mozilla Classic. Sure, they are essentially the same Gecko engine, but one arrived without a huge campaign and shilling blitz, and it is by that principle I hate the software.

Also, you bleedin' FFers are so frickin' pious. IE bad? You must be the only person in the world who knows this! Tell everyone at all times!
  It wasn't an IE-specific problem; it was his cache. How dare it try to save bandwidth and time by caching a commonly used file! I've had to delete my cache and history and refresh ad nauseum to get images to reload on Mozilla's browser, even after a week of being updated. I won't even get into how friggin' hard it is to get cookies to stay long dead... "Delete cookies"? Oh, if only it were that simple! (Well, Sea Monkey, it is, but Fox apparently likes to keep cookies hidden away someplace where they'll never let you test logged-out functionality of web pages!)

PS: I hate FireFox.

"I was supposed to be that goat!" ~ Shawn Spencer, Psych
Battalon127

Member #25

Mar 11, 2008 15:53
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

MintMan, have you ever used CCleaner? We use it at work and it seems to do a pretty good job of getting rid of all the junk customers come in with. It covers temp files, history and cookies of the big three (IE, Firefox, Opera) plus about a couple hundred other things. I know it does a better job of cleaning up IE junk than IE, I'm not sure if it will for Firefox.

I'm a creature of habit and thus will be sticking with Firefox for a long time. I've been using the browser since before 1.0 and I've got it tweaked to comfort. I can definitely see how it's getting too commercial and I'm not blind to its many imperfections, but I'm far too lazy to find a new program and tweak it to my liking.

""~Camo
MintMan

Member #1

Mar 11, 2008 16:20

What? No! I'm not saying it is commercial now; it was shilling before it was ever released. Sea Monkey and FireFox run off of the same Gecko engine, both have tabbed browsing, and a bunch of other shared libraries. However, no one used the original Mozilla browser (now Sea Monkey) because it wasn't "cool". IE might as well have been lined with exploding acid in the minefield of the web, but no one said "Hey, look, a better browser" to Mozilla.
  No, it wasn't until someone actually made that "better browsing" tag line that people finally took notice. FireFox was pushed and whored out like it was the second coming. What new features did it offer over the classic Mozilla browser? No mail program. About it.
  FireFork's popularity is entirely from how they, well, can't really say "marketed" for something that's free, but it was the same principle as is used in marketing. Got a product that doesn't really offer that much? Make it seem cooler! Sure, the stuff's been around forever, but now it has a shiny new package, and idiots ate it up. What is it up to now? Twenty percent share? I don't know how old or accurate my numbers are, but I know where Mozilla was years ago with a negligibly different program: one or two percent. All in the advertising.

No, I've never used CCleaner. Again, I'm not home. I program a lot in campus labs so installing pretty much any software is not a possibility.

Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Mar 12, 2008 4:48

For me it's not so much of being for FF as it is being for "Not IE"

While not as bad as it has been, IE is still the worst browser to use when it comes to security.
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 24, 2024 8:29 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022