Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 28, 2024 7:47 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Godzil- er, Cloverfield! (and movies in general)

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Lunar_Mage

Member #148

Jan 20, 2008 21:43
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Disclaimer: This topic may or may not be spoilertastic. Reading any further past this disclamer counts as an agreement that you will not whine, gripe, moan, or otherwise be a baby about having plot details spoiled by reading this topic.

Went and saw Cloverfield this weekend. It was awesome, at least in my opinion. Seeing the previews, I was worried that it was gonna be Godzilla meets the Blair Witch. But despite being filmed entirely from the perspective of a handheld video camera, they actually did a good job of building up action and suspense. True, the love story does get in the way of the action a bit, but overall they do a great job of showing the action - and indeed, showing stuff at all, which The Blair Witch Project most assuridley does not! Does anyone know what the monster was, exactly? Getting bit by one of those things though... Not a pretty way to go. D'oh
  The previews for Hellboy 2 and Iron Man were cool too... Has anyone with any knowledge of Iron Man comics seen a preview? I am wondering exactly how accurate the movie will be.

Also awesome was I am Legend. That one was a great addition to the Zombie/Mutant genre. It was fun to see the themes of science versus faith getting thrown around in there as well. It was funny to see that the guy was going nuts enough to talk to mannequins.

Looking forward to the next M. Night Shamylan movie coming out this summer too. Looks like a good year for movies, hopefully.

Edit - Man, trying to focus on that blue text and red smiley at the same time hurts!

"You just killed an Auditor with a chocolate?" - Lobsang, from Terry Pratchet's Thief of Time

[Edited by Lunar_Mage on Jan 20, 2008 21:45]
Blade

Member #99

Jan 20, 2008 22:57
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Iron Man looks awesome! I can't say I'm super excited about Cloverfield.... I kind of just think godzilla meets the day after tomorow for some reason (that was before seeing previews)...but yeah....just doesn't peak my interest...

And since it was the last movie I watched (and understood this time) who has seen Snatch? And loved it? ..I know I did Big Smile

Ho! Ho! Ho! to the gameboy I go
  To heal my heart and drown my woe.
  Rain may fall and wind may gale,
  But my battery is yet to fail.
  So in a dank corner I will lie,
  And watch the hours go sailing by.
  And while I lie in this nintendo-induced trance,
  I decide I'll give Pokemon Crystal a chance.
  --my random quotation exploitation

MintMan

Member #1

Jan 20, 2008 23:56
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Snatch (as long as we're talkin' 'bout the same movie with that title -- yeeeeeeeeh!) was awesome. Wonder how that film wasn't brought up way-back-when in the Dennis Farina topic.

From what I know about the Iron Man movie, it seems pretty accurate. It sorta seems like that cartoon that came out a bit ago (any Marvel animated movie pre-Avenger Babies is awesome) except they swapped Mandarin for old-school Iron Monger.

Other than that, it is as accurate as movies get. No Ultimate Iron Man or anything. Unless there is an animal sidekick they aren't showing us in the previews, Iron Man will be the new comic movie to beat.
  I'm actually gonna get out of my movie sloth and see that one in theaters, as I typically do for all such nerdly movies.

"How sure are you?"
  "Crystal.... That... doesn't make any sense. Very." ~ Shawn Spencer, Psych
Michael

Member #224

Jan 21, 2008 18:25
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I saw Cloverfield the other day and it was, in my opinion, about the worst movie I've ever seen. The plot (despite being almost nonexistent) made absolutely no sense whatsoever. I think back to it and notice that very little happened in that movie besides that idiot with the handicam running and the odd death. I sincerely hope though that that method of filming doesn't catch on, it gave me a massive headache.

I enjoyed I Am Legend though more for the ideas and themes it throws around than for the movie itself. I think I'd prefer read the original book though.

Similarly, The Golden Compass really doesn't compare to the book (Northern Lights everywhere outside the U.S.).
Lunar_Mage

Member #148

Jan 21, 2008 21:00
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

That headache sounds like motion sickness, which I could understand... unless of course you thought it was so bad that it actually gave you a headache. Boggle I liked how they built up suspence in the movie. While it was irritating that the ending didn't really answer anything, it fit with the rest of the movie. I also don't see how they could make a sequil in the same way, however. It would have to be either a straight up classic godzilla type movie or nothing at all. That being said, the move was a fun one to see, but I wouldn't consider buying it when it came out on DVD.

I will have to check out that "His Dark Materials" trilogy or whatever it is called, as the premise for the movie at least looked promising. I would be spectacularly surprised to find any movie nowadays that loyally followed the book, however. Let's not get into movie based video games either.

"You just killed an Auditor with a chocolate?" - Lobsang, from Terry Pratchet's Thief of Time
Dragon_Kirby

Member #226

Jan 22, 2008 11:17
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Iron Man certainly looks fun. And, mm, the idea for a sequel of Cloverfield is basically the same movie with different token humans, isn't it?

I liked I Am Legend. Maybe just because it didn't think I was a complete idiot.

Penguin Power!
Blade

Member #99

Jan 24, 2008 19:30

*CamoPosession is cast from the abyss*

I think you are a complete idiot.

haha sorry you were open and since there is a distinct lack of camo...and me being from the same country i thought it was time to represent seeing as it's Australia Day tomorrow (well tomorrow's tomorrow for y'all Big Smile)

Now, back to movie-ness... has anyone here seen the movie Romper Stomper? And what did they think?, it being somewhat of a culture shock when it was released...

(for those that don't know it was basically Russel Crowe and a group of neo-nazi 'skin heads' beating up, then getting beaten up by asian people)

Hi Super Nintendo Chalmers!
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Mar 28, 2024 7:47 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022