Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 23, 2024 11:16 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: American Gladiators

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
MintMan

Member #1

Jan 7, 2008 10:31
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Do-do-do doo do do-do-do dooooo!

Wow, after over a decade of one of my favorite shows of all time being dead, American Gladiators is back on the air. Well, not counting those reruns on ESPN Classic, at least. And unlike other things you remember as a child being awesome and turning out to suck (Masters of the Universe), this thing is just as good as you remember, and maybe even a li'l better (Inhumanoids).

So did anyone else catch it? Is anyone still left here even old enough to recall the original? (Turbo and original Siren forevah!) This new one has some pretty big shoes to fill, and I sure hope they change stuff as the seasons goes on. With the strike in full effect, they'll have time to tweak.

One of my biggest fears was that they'd play the emotion angle, and boy howdy, did they! Complete with sappy music that completely sapped the energy -- now that's a lotta sap! Thankfully, that seemed limited to the women in the first round.

What I didn't expect, however, was the wacky camera angles. Instead of being shot like a sport, they constantly cut around like an action movie. Problem is, this stuff is real; movies are fake -- they need move around a lot to make it look like stuff is actually happening. When you have Wolf sunset-flip power-bombing someone from nigh-on the top of the Pyramid, you don't need camera angles.

And then, they only get, like, four or so events in a round. Say what? The original hour-long show had, like, eight events in it for both sexes. It was fast-paced and awesome. I'm still trying to figure out where all this time is being eaten up, 'cause they don't have Gladiator interviews this time.

Another big question mark over my head was the mysterious other announcer who called the action. It didn't make sense to me yesterday, but I guess with how much editing they are doing (ugh) to the action, they wouldn't be able to do live commentary. Feh.

And some of the Gladiators barely had a chance to be used, and ones like Fury got over-used. More Hellga; less of Fury and her "special move" which didn't seem to do much of anything but look a li'l neat before she just utterly failed.

Coolies thing, I think, is that the Grand Champion now becomes a Gladiator for the next season. Wonder if they get to pick their own name. I guess that'll keep the current roster on their toes; they can get replaced next season if they are worthless. Here's looking at you, Militia!

New faves: Wolf, Hellga, Siren, and the upset -- Mayhem!

Another one comes on today at nine. Overall, I think it is still coolies. Any one else have any thoughts?
Lunar_Mage

Member #148

Jan 7, 2008 21:32
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

The show was pretty neat. I do remember seeing it a few times as a kid. It was weird having memories of the climbing wall event, the eliminator, and others pop back into my mind as I was watching this show. There were a few things that were immediately annoying tho. A few times they cut to commercial just as an event was about to start. I think that that immediately answers your questions about why there are only four rather than six events: there are so many more commercial breaks now, and each break lasts a little longer than it used to. All the coverage did seem to be edited as well, and along with the music, it added a bit of a cheesy feeling to the show. And that 'Release the Hounds' sound bit that they had when they started the gladiators at the climbing wall didn't help matters any. Of course, anything is better than Yet Another Crappy American Idol Rip Off that seems to be premiering on ABC.

As for the action itself, the ring event was awesome. It was, sadly, interrupted by a severe weather report, but that got over with just in time to see Wolf grapple the blue guy into the water, just as he was about to win. And we do need to see more Hellga.

*With much enthusiasm, uses ChangeSignature on Lunar_Mage's old, overused signature.
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jan 7, 2008 22:45
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, Hellga's website does have a member's section, so, apparently, you can do just that Boggle

This new go is no Nitro-fest, and while it lacks the Lace-amotion, it's still pretty good. My beefs are quite the same as any one elses: stupid action cuts, stupid momentum killing emotion scenes, stupid Hellg-less-ness.

It is surprising that not only the Gladiators but the competitors are trying to show personality (for teh most part, there are examples against). Of course, some of the Glads just miss the point. "I make an 'O' with my hands. That makes me as cool as Wolf, right wolfpack?" * howls of disagreement *

But, the entire set up for events is pretty strange. I mean, less bouts, a seemingly non-random allotment of Glads-to-event, and a nearly worthless point system as the Eliminator tears you up! Also, where's Atlasphere? I want my hamsterball!

All an' all, better than I thought they were gonna suck it up. Hooray for pessimism!
  Favs, typically the same as everyone else's: Wolf, Hellga, Venus (Venus for new AG in '08!)

"She iz zo sharp... zo dangerous, like a pudding-bag full of knives."
  - André, a Jaegerkin in Girl Genius
MintMan

Member #1

Jan 8, 2008 11:57

Speaking of the Wall -- and not speaking of Toa -- Toa! On The Wall!

Toa, as if it needed to be said, is awesome. And what says American Gladiators more than a Samoan?... um, American Samoa... I think. I like how just saying things in his native tongue can seem like wild jibberish. He's probably saying stuff like "I like kitties!" or "Crush is hot!"
  No, wait... that was me... both times.

And Toa actually did The Wall right. (Somebody must be obeying his rasslin' heritage and studied the tapes.) The women gladiators were just reaching up and trying to tug down the competitor. Like that's gonna work.
  Toa gets one hand on good, freakin' jumps off, and let's gravity do the work! That's how ya get it done!

And still, Hellga has only appeared on twice... and on the same event... * cough * I wanna see her Hang Tough. She'd never even get a chance to latch onto the competitor and try to weigh them down; she'd just wrecking ball them into oblivion! Slow on land, maybe, but she'd have crazy momentum on her side in that event.
  ... Okay, I just think it would be fun(ny) to watch.

"I seem to be the cure for nymphomania, apparently." ~ Craig Ferguson
Blade

Member #99

Jan 25, 2008 22:45

Australian Style.

Ho! Ho! Ho! to the gameboy I go
  To heal my heart and drown my woe.
  Rain may fall and wind may gale,
  But my battery is yet to fail.
  So in a dank corner I will lie,
  And watch the hours go sailing by.
  And while I lie in this nintendo-induced trance,
  I decide I'll give Pokemon Crystal a chance.
  --my random quotation exploitation

[Edited by Blade on Jan 25, 2008 22:49]
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jan 26, 2008 14:15

She-Nitro? That's... that's just wrong seeming. I mean, Nitro was so manly with his long, girly hair.
  ... Actually, it is a pretty good fit.

Dang, yo. Dem Aussies go all out for the gimmicks. Bionica with a "metal" eye. That's just crazy! I bet that new Thunder actually shoots lightning from his hands, too.

"We drank for three days straight: yesterday, today, and tomorrow."
  -JBL on the ol' APA days.
MintMan

Member #1

Jan 26, 2008 14:50

Yeah, his tiny, tiny hands. Look at those things! Dems is the most frightening thing about him!

And look at that Hunter loser. He so wants to be Wolf, but he can't do a sunset flip power bomb, now officially renamed the Wolf Bomb in his honor.
  I mean, they got fourteen Gladiators -- more than us Americans -- and they still ain't as cool. Well, maybe as cool as Fury and Militia, but that ain't sayin' much.

Speaking of American American Gladiators, Venus survived! All she needs to do is have one more suck-tastic round of women on the Treadmillinator and she'll move on to the next round! Here's hopin'! * creates a GiantQTip for global Gladiator goodness *
Sword
Camo

Member #5

Jan 28, 2008 18:04
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Ooh I wanna be a Gladiator, because I like to win
  I like to wear tight little pants and hang out at the gym
  I wanna be a Gladiator really, really bad
  And if you will not let me, then I'll be very sad

Pokemon Australia - keeping Aussie trainers in touch
MintMan

Member #1

Feb 4, 2008 23:27

Well, today's episode marked a new day of taping. It seems like they realized that Fury sucks and Siren rules, tho', based on the complete switch in their amount of usage. I mean, Hang Tough was supposed to be Fury's specialty, but Siren pulled off some moves that were both Embarrassed and Lick Sitting on shoulders? That's a move that deserves to be embalmed and stuffed next to Wolf's suicide dive and sunset flip powerbomb.
  Announcer said he wouldn't want to have to go up against Siren; I would beg to differ Shifty Eyes

It also seemed like Crush got a lot more usage, too. Still mad as Hel that the knee rules apparently do not apply to contestants in Joust. No frickin' duh they can last out the time; it is really hard to be knocked off the platforms when you're bloody sittin'. Time was, if you were on one knee, you had to make an effort to get off or risk a loss.

And was it just me, or were the Joust platforms a lot closer together today. It seemed like before, they had to reach and could barely hit one another.

And then Militia continued to suck; no one was surprised.

"I've gazed into the abyss and the abyss gazed into me, and neither of us liked what we saw." ~ Brother Theodore
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Feb 5, 2008 2:03
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, the writer's guild seems to be back in talks, so AG's days are quite possibly numbered.
Battalon127

Member #25

Feb 5, 2008 11:44
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Gwah? You think AG is only on because of the strike? Granted, the lack of scripted shows made it a good time to bring this one out, but they aren't just gonna be like "Whoop, Bionic Woman is back, let's get rid of this successful show now." If that were the strategy, shows like The Biggest Loser would have never seen airwaves. No, now that it's out and doing relatively well, I'm pretty sure they'll keep it around for a while. After all, Executive Beta called for more reality shows before the strike and shows no sign of letting up.

Also, any rumors you've heard about the strike, one way or another, are just that--rumors. The WGA urges people not to take much stock in rumors spread by the media, and, considering the whole media-blackout thing concerning the strike, common-sense would dictate similarly. Besides, even if talks are going well, it will take time to draft an actual agreement and the drafting process itself can lead to breakdowns. So until the WGA themselves release a public statement, I wouldn't count on anything.

When I was in the 6th grade I was a finalist in our school spelling bee. It was me against Raj Patel. I misspelled, in front of the entire school, the word "failure". ~Dwight Schrute, The Office
MintMan

Member #1

Feb 7, 2008 16:40

Yeah, Gladiators has the ratings. I don't think it is going anywhere. If it were, then why would they be planning an animated series based on the show?

Yeah, cartoon Gladiators. Rock, rock on! * plants a virtual PugilStick tree as an eternal testament to Gladiatoriness *

Also, what was up with Toa speaking (in English) for the first time ever? I mean, they're trying to sell him as this savage islander, but he is allowed to break character to look bug-eyed right into the camera and let out a cartoonish "Damn!"?

That was mad-awesome.

"How sure are you?"
  "Crystal.... That... doesn't make any sense. Very." ~ Shawn Spencer, Psych
Sword
Skulkraken

Member #128

Feb 11, 2008 18:19
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

...All this talk about Gladiator awesomeness is making me wish I could afford cable. I still vaguely remember watching the original series a couple times as a kid. So, what events are still in, and what did they cut? Do they still have that tennis ball gun duel going?
MintMan

Member #1

Feb 11, 2008 18:37

Well, you could just tune-in yourself and see which events they have and which they don't; it is on NBC, not cable. Repeats are ESPNariffic, but not the revival.

Tennis-ball gun event (which they now refer to as "missiles" and "projectiles" to make 'em seem more intimidating) is still in it and still named Assault. It is hard to say all of the events they cut; they had so many over the run of the original. It'd be easier to just say what they gots.

Still Around: Hang Tough, Joust, the aforementioned Assault, Power Ball, The Wall, The Gauntlet, Pyramid, The Eliminator

New: Earthquake (like the second half of Break Through and Conquer on a gyrating ring), Hit and Run (like a reverse and mobile Cannonball with giant weighted wrecking balls)

Wish It Were Back: Atlasphere (hamsterballs!), Swingshot, good rules for Joust and Eliminator, and the "The" preceding Eliminator
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Feb 12, 2008 3:32

No atlasphere?! that was the only part I really cared about in the old version, guess I'm not missing much in the new version. Shifty Eyes
  In anticipation of whacking for not watching... * uses StormGuard *
Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Feb 12, 2008 17:22

Well, it looks like there won't be any new Gladiators Venus and Collar to get thrown in the mix. Shame that two of the best mic skilled folks lost to two of the most annoying in speech.

Additionally, what's up with the prospect of an AG cartoon? I mean, this sounds like Mr. T and the A-Team but with more howling.

Boggle Wait, that sounds awesome! Hell yeah! * picks a virtual PugilStick to honor the past and present glory *

"Mama didn't raise her little Ranger to be an air traffic fatality!"
  -Walter "Doc" Hartford, Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 16, 2008 21:18

New information! Nearly impossible to find anywhere!

New events for Season 2!
  Vertigo: Called Sway Poles in early releases -- thankfully, they went with the old international name -- this sees contender and gladiator swaying... on poles... that bend... and sway.

Tilt: Like Tug-o-War, but the ropes are attached to -- not just held by -- contender and gladiator alike. The loser is the one pulled off his or her platform.

There is also something called Rocket Ball, but litte was said about it. The original ball of the Power variety now has a larger playing field and smaller pod openings, so no mo' freakin' jump shots. That was getting me angry.

New Glads: Phoenix (no info, but sounds awesome in name and description), Steel (likely MMA fighter Erin Toughill who was reportedly signed on to this season -- and we could always use another Crush Big Smile), and... Jet, who was the chick winner from last year.

Nothing on new men, and it seems that Militia is back for some reason Slanted Mouth Justice was no where to been seen at the new round of tapings, which I find quite an unfair trade. Apparently, they need the gladiators to average out to a rating of "suck", and including Militia does just that.

Siren and Crush, have not been confirmed as returning, but I would think that -- being useful/hot -- they'd keep 'em around. Fury and Stealth, in addition to sucking, were reportedly injured in some way towards the end of the first season. This didn't seem to affect their utility, in any way, but they still aren't likely to be back. Haven't been seen yet, so keep them fingers crossed.

Stole all the info from Gladiator Zone's forums, which are now member-only. Feh! Here's to you, Reality's End and random search engine traffic!

"I seem to be the cure for nymphomania, apparently." ~ Craig Ferguson
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Apr 18, 2008 3:41

Meh, I might watch if they bring back Atlasphere. It was the only thing I ever cared for about it.
MadGoblin

Member #2

May 14, 2008 17:49

Well, get that apathy outta here, Lui-T, 'cuz there sure was some roller cages a'rolling in the clips of to-come episodes. The 'Spheres are back and Atlasy as ever, should any of that make any sense.

It's amazing how little happened across two hours (the premier) and I still didn't care. I did care, however, that the Ukranian broad didn't make it. I mean, I wanted to see her... uh, make it to the end, that is. I mean, with the sob story of nuclear meltdown, she had so many options for a Gladiator name if Gladopted!

That's right, I made it a word

"Give me a smile, an' I'll give you a beer."
  - Emo Easter, Erotic Cremation
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

May 15, 2008 5:07

Well, guess that means I'll actually start watching TV again.
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Apr 23, 2024 11:16 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022