Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 29, 2024 3:51 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Birthday Challenge of 2007

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
SailorSassyStar

Member #19

Aug 29, 2007 12:02
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Aug 28, 2007 9:27, MadGoblin said:

I'm such an ass.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of calling you such.

As for the Macs, it's not so much that I love them, it's that they don't hate my existance and conspire against me as Windows computers do. That, and I'm not enough of a computer dork to know about linux or whatever else. Anyway, I've never had problems with RE when using a mac.
Sword
Battalon127

Member #25

Aug 30, 2007 12:57
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yikes, I hope I haven't opened up the proverbial can o' worms (The literal one has been open for some time on my desk. It's really starting to smell), and start a system-wars of sort. I'll just make a pre-emptive strike and lay it out there right now. (Poster's note: lengthy diatribe about jerks who use Macs replaced with the following summary). I have nothing against Macs. Personally, I feel that the GUI is too simplistic and unflexible, and I don't like that a Mac system is typically several hundred dollars more expensive than its PC equivalent, but I recognize that the simplicity of the OS works for a lot of people, and that it has definite strengths in graphic design. But don't kid yourself, Tris. All OSes hate and conspire against us. Macs are just craftier in that they pose as your friend first. But mark my words, one day it too will betray you. Shifty Eyes

If you don't like someone, why bother pissing them off to begin with? Just go for the kill. ~Cheetarius
Afiag

Member #242

Aug 30, 2007 15:13
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

It's true that I haven't been turning my back on Microsoft's latest OS of treachery, but I'm a little more concerned about the house plants.
  They're scheming ways to do me in.

If ignorance is bliss, then you must be orgasmic.
Zedd

Member #76

Aug 31, 2007 8:28
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

The house plants aim to do us ALL in. They're in with the OSes. They're going to stab us all in our sleep!

* Fingers the trigger of his BigBottleOfHerbicide *

I agree pretty much entirely with Batt about Macs. Now there's an odd thing.

Why would anyone call anything 'phenolphthalein'?

[Edited by Zedd on Aug 31, 2007 20:40]
Sword
Afiag

Member #242

Sep 2, 2007 15:11
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Not that I'm trying to go back on topic or anything...

Happy birthday, guys.
  ^.-

I dare you to click this.

Battalon127

Member #25

Sep 2, 2007 17:04
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Aye, Happy birthday indeed. (Why a Nidhogg, you ask? Well, in my tradition of needless, crappy icon-edits, I present the Birthday 'Hogg! ). May the day bring you... uh, let's see, what would cynical, lazy misanthropes want? Further reasons to hate the world? Yeah, should be plenty of that. Enjoy.

Oh yeah, your present! * gives MadGoblin a KleinWireStrippers * What? You expected something different?

The following post may contain strong language, graphic violence, and brief scenes of nudity. Viewer discretion is advised.
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 3, 2007 11:15
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Firstly, stop kissing ass. No one cares about our birthday -- not even us. Please try to remember that is the point of this contest: not me, all RE.

Okay, I've sat on the sidelines all month long, intentionally not replying to anything sensically. Time to start gunnin' everybody down!

Draggs was right to focus on the REWS. That was in fact the goal of the contest. Activity in general, yes, has been a problem, but why would I rely on members to get that up? The most members could do to increase activity is to be active themselves, which is what this vague contest was striving to do. Not much the individual could do 'bout it, except whore-in outsiders, which I have repeatedly stated would be a bad idea.

I said any idiot could win this contest, and yes Blade, any idiot can write a good story. VapBab is the best example of that. As long as authors are not stupid, they can make a story work. In fact, I have said on this site many times that writing is possible from the everyman, which was another strong hint as to how to win this contest.

Getting empty hits up to 200K really doesn't mean a thing. The main page counter is really just an artifact; I use my site stats (which record all hits instead of just the main page no one enters through anymore) to determine the real activity amount.
  I guess it is more of a kiriban sorta thing... without prizes. I've tried, but whoever gets the shiny numbers is never a member (no cookies).

And yes Batt, this site does want strippers. Well, not this site, but the sister-site MyRealitysEndSpace.com.

FtRPG, draggs? Yeah, because there have been so many times that has become a hot-point of the forums and I haven't become enraged with its overuse Slanted Mouth
  The "Role Playing" Forum isn't for role playing. Even when "RPs" (actually IASes) existed in it. It is a joke, just like FtRPG. This has been stated numerous times across the site. I constantly state how much RPs suck; why would I wish such a scourge on RE for a contest?
  And oh, do I come back to this unfortunate point...

Intelligent talk would be desired if it were even possible. I have long given up on such a thing occuring on RE, at least with the current cast.

Appreciation and thanks? Nope, don't care about that, either. Use is the only thing I care about, and that is all I care for patrons to care about caring, too.... care.

Okay, so what was the goal for this contest exarckly?
Any member who makes a quality REWS post from the start until the end of this contest wins.
Yes, you read that right. That is all one needed to do to win. As you can see, that is also why I expected no one to win.

But wait -- what is a "quality" post? There is a level of goodness I define posts by in REWS for certain factors. Two things make a post good: they cannot have outstanding reports or be deleted (makes sense), and the post must be on a story the author did not create.
  This'un is a li'l harder. See, people create stories all the time. How many REWS stories are only one post long? Way too many. That is a surefire way to suck, really. If someone makes something that gets heaps of additions, then rock, rock on! Doesn't happen much, tho'.
  And adding to your own creation is a lot less difficult than adding to someone elses. In fact, a story's creator is expected to add to their own work again.

Now, this is how I normally define a quality post.

Then draggy made Birthday Tournament...

Okay, not only is this just a poor man's High Time (as Batt already pointed out), but it is pretty much a poor man's everything. To give you a clue of just what I think of it, when looking at the info page, Gobbs asked why it wasn't marked as the Action genre for a tournament story.

I thought for a second, and not one more. It was pretty apparent that action is not something this story was about.

High Time's beginning was only a line or two long; Birthday Tourney was much, much longer. Strangely, more happened in the beginning of HT than in BT. I don't even know how this is possible, but it is a clear indication of problems to come.

Every time a new character is introduced, the post begins with the character's name. This is one of the worst possible things any story can do. (The worst is giving the full name of a character, which is beyond worthless.) Who the frick cares about a name? Back to High Time, it had none because they are so unimportant. If you begin a sentence with "Erik" or "Kyle" or "Baba Yaga", the reader has no friggin' clue what is going on. There is no setting, there is no description -- there is only a proper noun of no purpose. They can't picture or imagine anything since there is no face to put on the name or even a setting or place where the person is -- if the name even belongs to a person.
  And every frickin' author did it.

Then, the entire story was written in game terms. Know how many other stories called things "Nidhogg Drakes" or "Garm Primes"? None. Know why? Because those are friggin' game terms. This is like writting a fan fiction and saying that the main character did a critical hit for 9,999 damage.
  Blutty 'el, there was even a mention of a Ray attack Dead
  And this isn't even the tip of the iceburg. The entire battle was written entirely dry and long-winded with way too much attention to game mechanics. Yeah, that makes for about as interesting a read as a battle log, except the log doesn't have to explain why things did extra damage.

Most of the time, I couldn't tell what the Hel was even going on. Seriously. There were rooms and teleportations and masses of people all over the place. I really think you guys should have been firmer with your reports; there was definitely some "WTF, mate?" moments that came as a result. I mean, Kyle and Darius went for their first battle of the tournament, the battle didn't happen, and then it became a battle royal... what? Obviously, something else was expected to come here, and it didn't happen.
  I intentionally stood out from placing reports or affecting the birthday contest in anyway. If I saw a hole, I had to wait for someone else to report it, and only one person ever did (and later withdrew their request.)

And, of course, this is mostly an extension of what draggy won with last year (although it was much better last year). I really wonder how much trying to win with something that already did counts for the Birthday Contest...
  It was also pretty haughty of him to think that this story would be finished in one month's time. This is probably the most posts a story has ever received in month, and it still didn't come close to finishing.

I really don't know what happened. I've seen all three of you write before, and it typically turns out good. In the discussion, you three treat it like an RP. Never, ever do anything even close to an RP here. It was either this or the snowballing confusion from things not being reported or something I cannot quite define, but something went horribly out of control in this story. It isn't "A toast to our writers" bad, no it is enough to make me reconsider what a quality REWS post is.

And, of course, this is a whole month-worth of pent-up frustration.

Not all was lost, however. Blade did a really great job developing Erik and his familiar. The tats were a great touch; I don't think anyone has ever given their familiar actual differentiation from a standard monster. I think the individuals made good parts; there was just absolutely zero cohesion in the story, mostly evident in how none of the formative posts continued the previous.

So, yeah, Gobbs (who polished off Orb) and Zedd (for adding to AR) win this contest for sure. I am still considering if Batt and Blade should be included in the winner's circle. Draggs, having made no addition to a non-him story, is instantly out.

* brings forth a StoneSaver to defend against the assured retaliation he will receive from his longer-than-most-REWS-posts onslaught of BT *

"You know what a street fair is? It's a typical girlfriend idea -- it sucks, and it's gonna take all Saturday." ~ Bill Burr
Sword
Battalon127

Member #25

Sep 3, 2007 15:49

Retaliation? I've got your retaliation in two words right here- fair enough. I'm not going to speak for Draggy or Blade, but I personally went into BT not expecting anything great. I figured the lack of involvement from any of the better writers of RE was a pretty good indication of the quality of the story. Frankly it's the only reason I got involved. I mean, action scenes aren't exactly my strong point. It's the reason I didn't really participate in High Time beyond a character introduction at the beginning.

On Sep 3, 2007 11:15, MintMan said:

The entire battle was written entirely dry and long-winded with way too much attention to game mechanics.

That pretty well sums up my writing in a nutshell. Hell, I'm a good writer, but my strengths are essays. My style of writing is really only suited to setup stuff, nothing with genuine people or events, which is why you rarely see my name credited past the first page of a story. Action scenes should be short, simple, and to the point. I know this, I just can't seem to do it. Normally I'd just steer clear of this kind of thing knowing full well I'd ruin the story, but in this case I just went for it. The only way to improve is to go ahead full force and fail occasionally, right?

So now you may be asking yourself, "If you thought the story was crap, why did you bother adding to it, leaving comments, etc?" Well, I figure even a crappy story is worth something. Maybe giving the B-Authors a little testing ground to futz around in could be beneficial. Hell, perhaps with some criticism from the A-list authors, we could actually improve somewhat. I know, I know, "Yeah, it's a nice idea, but it won't actually work. You guys won't learn from your mistakes." "It'll go good for a week or two and then everyone will just abandon it." "Maybe you'll get better, but that won't spill over into the good stories." Well attitudes like these just end up self-fulfilling so stop it. And that doesn't just apply to the voices in my head.

On Sep 3, 2007 11:15, MintMan said:

Firstly, stop kissing ass. No one cares about our birthday -- not even us. Please try to remember that is the point of this contest: not me, all RE.

That was directed to me wasn't it? Am I that bad at sarcasm? Where in my post did you get the idea I think you care about your birthday? In fact, I pretty well acknowledged the fact that you DIDN'T care, followed by a strippers reference that was several weeks coming. Or maybe I was serious, and the entire post was simply a present of further reasons to hate the world. Either way, consider my lips as far from your ass as is humanly possible. And that takes some doing considering even the non-ass portions of you are pretty much an ass. Wink

P.S.- Since I know it pisses you off, Happy Birthday!

[Edited by Battalon127 on Sep 3, 2007 15:50]
MadGoblin

Member #2

Sep 3, 2007 19:23
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeppers, I agree with about everything Batts plopped out, especially the ass line Big Smile

But, yeah, anything can be good. Hell, dipping back to HT, that was the example of the ultimate underdog story. I mean, the alcohol fueled late night two-liner that spiraled of control to be come one of the longest and most involved features in all of REFBWRPEXRESW history, that's sure a prime mention.

And I don't even really think BT was bad, per se. "Bad" is "ill bash you face in" and "I am Griff". That's bad. BT, largely, just coulda been better, but, hell, what couldn't stand that? Room to grow, provin' grounds, and rot all 'round, yep yep.

And, because it's expected of me:

"Wow, those wire strippers sure be sek-sey!"

"We drank for three days straight: yesterday, today, and tomorrow."
  -JBL on the ol' APA days.
Skulkraken

Member #128

Sep 4, 2007 1:00
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Curses. I seriously thought I was on to something for a bit...

I have no intention of writing for the REWS right now, because, well, I don't feel comfortable with the idea of being a fanfiction writer for some odd reason.
Sword
Blade

Member #99

Sep 4, 2007 6:03

Can't say I expected much from BT, I wanted to add a character that could be worked with or something, psychos are interesting aren't they?

I did put some effort into my AR addition though...

Ho! Ho! Ho! to the bottle I go
  To heal my heart and drown my woe.
  Rain may fall and wind may blow.
  And many miles be still to go.
  But under a tree I will lie,
  And watch the clouds go sailing by.
  -Drinking song

[Edited by Blade on Sep 4, 2007 6:13]

[Edited by Blade on Sep 6, 2007 8:53]
MadGoblin

Member #2

Sep 4, 2007 10:32

Fan fiction, Skull? I mean, I know that'd exclude the BD stories, which I can fully understand, but... um, BD stories make up a very small fraction of the REWS/BW gallery. Not a fifth, I'd say. Most all of it is original, collaberative works.

But, Blade, no one ever said that your AR add wasn't good, but it was your story. So, regardless of its goodness, that excluded you from the running due to stipulation #2: "The add has to be in someone else's story."

However, we all know who the real winner of this b-day contest was, you! The home viewer Smile

... what? Dot Mouth There is no home viewer? Oh, well then Shifty Eyes all was lost.

"Wings are for when you're drunk. Soup is for when you're sick."
  "That's what my mom used to say. Boy, she loved her wings!"
  - Margaret & Jake, Stark Raving Mad
Sword
Blade

Member #99

Sep 5, 2007 2:45

Yeah, read that part...I do like a good story...

do another talk-y thing..it's funny, why not do it on forum posts though..could be a laugh

who cares about the viewers at home..probably retarded anyway.

EDIT: Anywho, why not fix up the story, I'd like to keep going with it..even if the old 'uns are telling us to get off their lawns *cough* mints Big Smile haha.. happy birthday! (because I was so apathetic I couldn't bother to get the day right)

Plus you're legal now - MintMan

[Edited by Blade on Sep 6, 2007 8:52]
Sword
Zedd

Member #76

Sep 10, 2007 4:31
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

...Retarded? Crude phrase, but disturbingly accurate. And probably only watching because there's no alternative... If there even were any home viewers, which, as Gobbs pointed out, there aren't.

Nice wire strippers, by the way.

And why don't you try to fix it up? Mints did provide a lot of criticism, most of it semi-constructive...

To sit on the fence is a dangerous call, but someone's gotta do it.
Battalon127

Member #25

Sep 10, 2007 16:49

On Sep 10, 2007 4:31, Zedd said:
  Nice wire strippers, by the way.

They were on sale at Sears.

So Blade wants to keep going, I've already expressed interest in it, and I would hope Draggy isn't planning to abandon his own creation. The only question is, do we simply forge on and attempt to improve the story as we go, or go back and edit (at least the battle scene)? If the former, which I would prefer, then I'd say Blade, you're up.

I profusely apologize for the above posting and accept full responsibility for any and all resultant damages. If, for some reason, you liked what you read, I retract my prior statement and copies will be available on cassette for $9.95 plus shipping.
Sword
Blade

Member #99

Sep 12, 2007 2:08

Grunt Peon: more work?
  Grunt Peon: okay.

gah. no pressure right there or anything, if I get some time, I'll add...but meh we'll see.

Hi Super Nintendo Chalmers!
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 30, 2007 13:01

Well, this whole mess was finally settled. The only ones left standing after the dust cleared were Gobbo and Zedd.

So in addition to your automatic prizes, there's a mix-and-match choice of three relics in it for each of you (normal style, none of that holiday stuff), an elemental Shadora general for Gobbs (which he may want to hold out on till Dok is put in), and a custom END avatar for Zedd should he want it.
Zedd

Member #76

Oct 8, 2007 8:21

Nah, Zedd'll skip the avatar, only because the only way he can think of to say what he wants is to finally get to drawing it reasonably himself and putting it up somewhere, which he's now actually started drafting, shock horror, so it might be done sometime before the new year... If he's lucky.

Wheee, winnage...

To be able to best ten men with spirit alone is to be invincible.
Sword
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
Mar 29, 2024 3:51 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022