Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 20, 2024 2:14 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Birthday Challenge of 2007

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
Afiag

Member #242

Aug 9, 2007 21:54
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Soo.... we bother the former regulars until they remember that this place still exists and come back for a while?
  Yeah, good luck with that.

You're unique. Just like everybody else.
Blade

Member #99

Aug 10, 2007 7:34
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

'Tis called stalking.

Troilism
Zedd

Member #76

Aug 10, 2007 8:51
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I second Afiag there. Good luck with that. The whole internet stalking thing is far more likely to LOSE potential... People.

I mean, how would you be if some random person came up to you and pressured you to visit a site you hadn't been to for some time?

To sit on the fence is a dangerous call, but someone's gotta do it.
draggy1234

Member #97

Aug 11, 2007 22:01
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I had originally imagined it as more of a sort of reminder message rather than a persistent pressure, but I see what you all mean. At any rate, I'm going to be gone after today, so there won't be any more "ideas" from me for a while. Hopefully everything on R.E.'ll stay active and on track.

And please don't kill me too fast in BP... Crying
Sword
Zedd

Member #76

Aug 14, 2007 3:47
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

...And with Draggy's departure ceases all activity. How depressing.

...But what were the odds?

Why would anyone call anything 'phenolphthalein'?
Blade

Member #99

Aug 14, 2007 5:34
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

..in familiar RE style. The regulars start off some action and no one follows it up.

Plus you're legal now - MintMan
Battalon127

Member #25

Aug 14, 2007 10:53
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Problem is, Draggy never really got anything going. He tried, but like most upstart ventures, nothing generated enough steady enough participation to survive without its founder.

Speaking of founders, kudos to you, Blade, for bringing AR back. 'Tis a sad thing when authors let their own stories die. Especially ones with potential.

And Zedd, weren't you going to post in Birthday Tournament? I don't think you can complain, when you're contributin' to the inactivity.

If you don't like someone, why bother pissing them off to begin with? Just go for the kill. ~Cheetarius
Sword
Afiag

Member #242

Aug 14, 2007 12:14
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I think it's terribly amusing to create activity by discussing our inactivity.

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year.
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 14, 2007 12:21

I am fairly certain inactivity is the only way RE ever gets activity. Random Ranting, Happy Anniversary, most of the RElders' forum, this topic...

So what are you people doing? Can't you see that all your activity is gonna make this place more inactive! I demand that you all shut up and stop being so active before you cause this place to become inactive! * uses MintMagic on Benevolence to promote deadedness * And somebody friggin' Curse Gobbo already. That'll kill 'im in a hurry...

"Isn't you, isn't me.
  "Search for things you can't see.
  "Goin' blind, out of reach
  "Somewhere in the vasoline." ~ Vasoline, STP

Sword
Battalon127

Member #25

Aug 14, 2007 14:26
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Done and done! * uses 1000Needles on MadGoblin *

On a side note, I've realize a fatal (well, technically healing) flaw in my tech above. I should've used Light instead of Shadow, as Curse causes you to be healed by Shadow attacks. Chalk one up to not paying attention.

* class changes to Adept * Can Adepts learn Light? I'll just cancel it out.

So Afiag, was the Wish You Were Here sig intentional, or just a happy coincidence?

Get Firefox 2.0 and never have an excuse for misspelling things again.
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 14, 2007 14:35

But the Curse don't take effect until after the damage is caused. Otherwise, you could get worthless combinations as you just described or overly powerful combinations involving the attacking of oneself. Either way, I safeguarded against it.

Y'know, so long as you don't Sing with it. Then you're just screwed. * uses MintMagic on CloneBenevolence to demonstrate the amount of screwedness *

Also, Light wouldn't cancel out anything; that is still an attack with the Shadow element, so the damage is absorbed. Heck, even if it were a healing technique, tagging on the Light element wouldn't cancel a thing as long as Shadow is in there; only the addition of Bless onto a healing technique will get rid of that Shadow effect.
  But as already mentioned, you're good... unless you really want Light. Don't think Adepts can get that.

Why are we discussing FtRPG so in this topic?

"And when I wake up in the morning
  "To feel the daybreak on my face,
  "There's a blood that's flowin' through the ceiling
  "With a knife to open up the sky's vein." ~ Backwater, Meat Puppets

Sword
Zedd

Member #76

Aug 15, 2007 4:04

Because there's no other real 'in-topic' left... Those of us who are trying are... Well, trying, and those who aren't, aren't...

No, adepts can get light. Trust me, I am one... Until I work out what class I want to change to.

Shut up? OK then...

Hmm, if only there was a 'disappear' token...

Why would anyone call anything 'phenolphthalein'?
Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Aug 16, 2007 12:48

Birthday Contest, activity as a whole, getting new members, something about pr0n, FtRPG, and questioning why the topic shifted to FtRPG.

Yep, sounds like a standard REfest to me Big Smile * laughs maniacally until he sees that he is dead * Aw, but I have fifty Benevolances...

But backtracking to recruitment, there is one way of tryin' to get a pull in of other folks. Not such as has been demonstrated, but by studying past behavior. The largest pull into the RE-Ranks has been REL, I'm pretty sure, by far. All those PokéFreaks love that franchise. So the plan? Branch out into another franchise!

Plan originally set forth: 2005

Hm, maybe a plan B should be invested into... Shifty Eyes

"Your father is a bastard, Your mother is a whore.
   Your eyes are on your ass, Your brains are on the floor."
  - Soccer Tribe, Frank Mackey & the Keltic Cowboys
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 17, 2007 16:12

I don't think it was that long ago.

... was it?

Yeah, lots of things keep muddling up RE-cross promotion. Mostly -- as always -- idiots. I mean, Gobbs hangs out at KRR and always complains about the lack of intelligence there, which makes it a li'l easier for me to hang up my Kirby Java project boots whenever that hits a snag. Sometimes I wonder how much better of my Dragon Dice blokes are. And then there was Caeligens back when I was still involved in the online Pokémon community, which as everyone knows has a collective brain that died back when Azure Heights did.

Right now (and always, really), I want to push the myth side of RE, but as everybody knows (thanks to my constant complaining to the effect of), mythology online sucks hards.

So what'll happen in the end? Isn't it obvious?

... I sure some company doesn't buy that URL without me knowing...
draggy1234

Member #97

Aug 26, 2007 9:51
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yay! I'm back to posting on here! Big Smile

Frankly, I did expect the probabilities of things dying down to be quite high. In addition to that, my "track record" with such ideas and plans has not gone very well in the past. I mean, I did originally intend for this topic to be more about the Birthday Contest and how we as a community could work together to win it rather than about stirring up more activity on the site alone, although that was a big part of the topic.

At any rate, there's still about a week left, which should be enough time (or more?) for last-minute submissions. Laughing

By the way, how is the off-forum activity going? It just came to my mind that a good portion of players at other game sites don't post on the related forums, so I was curious about that kind of state here. Not that I expect much difference, though... Tongue

(And on a side note, either I've been paying more attention than before, or those same sites have recently gotten a lot of buzz about hackers, keylogging sites, and other such stuff...which thankfully doesn't seem to be a problem here.)
Sword
Skulkraken

Member #128

Aug 28, 2007 24:36
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Is the birthday challenge still going on? If so, I have a guess for what this site needs: appreciation and thanks. I think it needs it...

RE probably isn't going to grow much bigger in population than it is right now without some overhauls to the main attractions: the games (especially REL) and the web of sites that contain them.

Draggy, the people who cause all that trouble on other sites only go to where they think it's worth the effort to try to stir up mischief.
Battalon127

Member #25

Aug 28, 2007 1:28

It's the Mac Effect, yes. So does that make RE the Macintosh of the Internet? All style, little substance, simplified to the point of near uselessness, overpriced, and used primarily by people pretentious enough to have their own excretions bronzed and formed into jewelry?

Naw, we can't be. That would make Mints like, Steve Jobs, or something. And that just boggles the mind.

(I'm just) following the stream. As if it were the friggin' Yellow Brick Road. ~Hana Gitelman, Heroes
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 28, 2007 3:11

Yes, the challenge is still going on. If you would click on the link, you'd see the end date of September 2nd.

REL isn't a main attraction and hasn't been for a while now. The downfall of the personal website and the rise of the blog long sealed its fate.

It is well known (and often complained about/suggested, at least when this place has activity) that the only real "improvements" that can happen here involve getting a better server to host real-time games, which I would not be close to able to afford on a grad student's stipend.

Never compare RE to a Mac! If any OS, it is obviously some variety of UNIX -- no flash, unliked by the masses, but with a lot of simple and really neat features tucked away.
  I mean, a Mac would be the entire opposite of RE, if anything.
Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Aug 28, 2007 9:27

I didn't really get that comparision, either. All style? No substance? That's everything that RE is against.

Neopets, now there's something that is (or was?) all style. Shiny looking page, over-the-top scripting and navigation do-hickies. Then, the actual game? Well, that was a picture and a strength number. Whoever had the higher number one. Cold set, lame mechanics. It took them a looong time to improve (if they even did).

RE has always been HTML pages, no Flash or other such spoinkers. In fact, only within the summer or so has REWS got the spiffy main page display thing. That's 'cuz all of its focus is put into the things that you cannot see. That's substance, the intangible aspect.

Now, MyRealitysEndSpace.com, that'll be allll style, boy howdy, and more empty than a vapid college girl's noggin. And one in particular comes to mind Tongue Happy birthday, Tris!

I'm such an ass.

"I love you."
  "Are you talking to me or the pancakes?"
  "Why can't it be both?"
  -Bill & Judy Miller, Still Standing
Battalon127

Member #25

Aug 28, 2007 16:57

That was my point actually. We're the kind of people who would hate Macs for the reason Mac-users love them. UNIX is the perfect comparison. Even the forum is custom-made (and awesome for it).

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly--the evil deeds along with the good--and let me be judged accordingly. The rest is silence. ~Dinobot, Beast Wars
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
Apr 20, 2024 2:14 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022