Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 29, 2024 11:15 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Birthday Challenge of 2007

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
draggy1234

Member #97

Aug 4, 2007 18:44
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah, I'm intending for this thread to be the main focus of any and all talk regarding the birthday contest. First, though, I'll address why I decided to start a new BD story on REWS as part of this contest.

As most of the regular forum-goers have likely noticed, MintMan has spoken on the issue of the inactivity of the members quite often. In here, here, here, and likely some other topic(s) that I skipped over, he's inferred something about the inactivity and apathy of RE's current patrons. On another note, the final Christmas prize on the 12 Days of Christmas at RE event was a virtual "Apathy"! Now we have this contest come up, where we have to figure out what the site needs. When I was thinking about it, in my view, anything aesthetic such as pictures (which are already out of consideration), poems, or stories wouldn't add any substantial value to the site.

Stories? Single-author stories probably wouldn't add much value. How about multi-author stories (read: interactive stories)?

As that thought progressed, I came to the conclusion that what the site really needed was something to add to its substance, and what else makes up the main substance of a web site other than its members? Or, more specifically, the activity they produce? Sure, it's a generic and intangible thing, but it would be something the site needs, correct?

So why did I concentrate on REWS? Well, MintMan has made his interest in successful, good IASes quite evident from when they first started. It has also been mentioned that the REWS is in a very big slump right now. Wouldn't it be the most efficient way then to target inactivity where it has accumulated the most? That was my train of thought when I made the story. I encourage all of you to add to it to make it a great story. Wink

However, the REWS is not my sole focus. The large amount of inactivity on the forums has also been cited. This is where I want this thread to be a useful one. I'd like to see if we as a group can come up with ideas to stir up activity on the site, even for those who don't like to write. The contest said that "anybody and everybody can win", so there isn't a sort of competition. If we work together, we could gather up all our ideas here and help each other. Let's see if we can show that we care about Reality's End's existence, at least for this month! Smile

...In fact, I could be totally wrong! Embarrassed There could be another thing MintMan is looking for, and I completely missed it. If all of us pooled our ideas of what we think the site needs, then each of us could hedge our chances by trying out different things and giving them to the site. Heck, maybe all we need to do is find different things to do for the site in order to raise our activity level! Big Smile

So, who wants to take the initiative and plunge in with me? Evil Grin

EDIT: Ooooooohhhhh.........FtRPG RP! Big Smile

[Edited by draggy1234 on Aug 4, 2007 18:57]
Battalon127

Member #25

Aug 5, 2007 2:25
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Actually, I'm pretty sure all ol' Mints wants is strippers. I mean, c'mon, what would you want for your birthday. I could be all proactive and find posts proving that he's mentioned time and again how much this site needs nekkid wimmin but those should be easy enough to find on your own. And since, by his own admission, the Minted One isn't going to confirm correctness, I'm just going to go ahead and assume I'm right here. And if anyone disagrees, I shall challenge their man-hood... unless they're not a man, in which case, I think we all know what needs to be done.

On Aug 4, 2007 18:44, draggy1234 said:

Single-author stories probably wouldn't add much value.

Gee, I wonder who Drag could be talking about. Really, the only difference between a single-author and multi-author story on REWS is that a single-author story (hopefully) has a more coherent, consistent plot. Well, that and other people can't add to it, but who's going to notice? That said, I perhaps will have to break my long-standing tradition of non-participation in BD stories and take a crack at your not-so-subtly titled piece. Although I can't help but find the whole tournament-being-held-for-a-ruler theme a little familiar. Wink Just sayin'.

(I'm just) following the stream. As if it were the friggin' Yellow Brick Road. ~Hana Gitelman, Heroes
Zedd

Member #76

Aug 5, 2007 4:54
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, I'm not entirely sure it's right, but nyeh, I dun see why not.

Right. Strippers. I'm sure that's it. That cuts me right out, being underage and in the wrong hemisphere.

Or he wants smarter members. Like that's gonna happen.

The sword that kills is that which brings life.
Blade

Member #99

Aug 5, 2007 6:35
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

he said something any idiot could do...and not any idiot could write a decent story....can you idiots read?
  EDIT: Although this idiot might give it a go Mean Look

Ho! Ho! Ho! to the bottle I go
  To heal my heart and drown my woe.
  Rain may fall and wind may blow.
  And many miles be still to go.
  But under a tree I will lie,
  And watch the clouds go sailing by.
  -Drinking song

[Edited by Blade on Aug 5, 2007 7:55]
MadGoblin

Member #2

Aug 5, 2007 11:06
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hey, hey... It's my birthday, too, ya know Shifty Eyes Could... could I get strippers? Lick * brings forth a PartySpirit ... or the giving spirit, whatever *

I mean, it won't help out for the contest any, but it'd... make you a better person?

"Wings are for when you're drunk. Soup is for when you're sick."
  "That's what my mom used to say. Boy, she loved her wings!"
  - Margaret & Jake, Stark Raving Mad
Sword
draggy1234

Member #97

Aug 5, 2007 11:12
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Aug 5, 2007 2:25, Battalon127 said:

Gee, I wonder who Drag could be talking about.

So sorry about that, Battalon. I didn't mean to single you out like that. D'oh

* uses Apologize on Battalon127 *

What I was aiming for by that statement is that I want to spark up some community activity, not just efforts by lone individuals. I mean, we did have a contest for RE fan-fics last year, right? But please, continue adding to your story as well. Wink

And Blade, that is why I mentioned in the latter part of my first post that the REWS isn't my sole focus. I'm aware that not everyone can/wants to write in interactive stories. So, I want to draw out ideas from everyone else around about what else can be done.
Sword
Dragon_Kirby

Member #226

Aug 5, 2007 19:55
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I never was good at presents. Perhaps some kind of gift card, which he could redeem for whatever he wants...

Penguin Power!
SailorSassyStar

Member #19

Aug 5, 2007 21:43
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hm, there's no runner up prize this year, so there's no point in me entering, even if I were any good at writing.

Do you know what that means? I'm bored and intend on drawing Gobbo something instead... like I was going to last year... it would help if I knew how to draw him as well...

We need an apathy cake, but I'm too lazy to bake one...
Zedd

Member #76

Aug 6, 2007 24:35
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hmmm... And why not?

* fabricates an ApathyCake For great... Celebration? *

I don't think the idea is to write, somehow... Possibly it is to be more active and less apathetic. Possibly we're all just running around and around in circles, and are never going to get the answer? Qui sais? There's no problem in trying, though...

Release that which was never caged.
Sword
Blade

Member #99

Aug 6, 2007 2:19

maybe we were meant to speculate and talk about it..maybe we are all meant to visit the site a heap more so it hits 200k visits...

Troilism
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 6, 2007 2:46

On Aug 5, 2007 21:43, SailorSassyStar said:
I'm bored and intend on drawing Gobbo something instead...
'Cept Gobbs don't give ya crap for doin' stuff. You get, um, Water Elephants from me! Yeah... everybody wants a Water Elephant... a Water Elephant to name Pete.

I don't even want presents anyway! That's why they aren't for me! They're for the site! Sorta the idea of the entire contest, y'know?

"Turn our tears to little black holes
  "To light the way for three blind moles.
  "Who'll tend the trees and what's in between?
  "The sky above is aglow with evil love." ~ Evil Love, Meat Puppets

Sword
Battalon127

Member #25

Aug 6, 2007 11:13
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Right. Which is why ... the site ... wants strippers. Lots and lots of strippers. Like MG said, strippers make you a better person (at least when I twist his words, he did). * plants a virtual StripperPole tree in hopes it will someday grow strippers *

On Aug 6, 2007 24:35, Zedd said:

Possibly we're all just running around and around in circles, and are never going to get the answer?

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is, more or less, the effect Double-M is going for, as evidenced by this quote- "It is something very well in the capabilities of any idiot." Plus, why else give people who are rather unlikely to do something when told specifically what it is, a somewhat cryptic objective, requiring them figure out what it is they're supposed to do? Then again, maybe the curiosity is supposed to get us motivated to figure it out, so then we'll decide that, since we've already put this much effort into it, we might as well actually do whatever-it-is. If so, then someone seriously underestimated the collective laziness of this site.

I apologize for incoherentness (incoherentity? incoherentablity? incoherence? Yeah, incoherence) of the above post. I assure you it made perfect sense in my head.
Sword
Afiag

Member #242

Aug 6, 2007 12:18
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

We only thought it wasn't obvious.
  But anyway, how long to you think this activity will keep up? All month would be some off-brand of miracle.

Mm, cake... of apathetic goodness!
  * uses Steal on Zedd's ApathyCake *

I dare you to click this.

Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Aug 6, 2007 14:15

Oooh yeah! From a drop by Fi'g in that rant topic to b-day props from Tris. Everything's comin' up Gobbo. Look up, Em-Dogg 20*, I'm takin' over Smile ... Flat Mouth ... Frown Okay, I'll crawl back to my hole and resume being quiet.

* Yes. I made a reference no one will understand.

"I love you."
  "Are you talking to me or the pancakes?"
  "Why can't it be both?"
  -Bill & Judy Miller, Still Standing
draggy1234

Member #97

Aug 6, 2007 14:52

Perhaps the objective was meant to be obvious to everyone who paid attention, but because it isn't explicitly stated, there will likely remain a tinge of uncertainty about whether we're going on the right track or not. That's my thought, anyway. Wavey Mouth

As for keeping up the activity, I'm hoping that a snowball effect will emerge and sustain itself. People might or might not have noticed that my posts recently have been carrying a little tone of urgency. That's because after the end of this week, I will be out of town and without Internet access. So, I want to make as big of an impact as possible before that time (without going overboard and intimidating everyone, of course Nervous ).

At any rate, I think what's happening here could actually help us in both ways; we think up what else the site could possibly need and what we could do, and in doing so we engender the activity that has been so lacking. Aside from the REWS story, I'd like to see what else we can start, since Blade mentioned that not every "idiot" can write decently.

One thing I was thinking about was bringing some life to the Role Playing forum, which has been last added to in... * checks * January 20, 2007. I don't know...maybe an RP topic could be started there for us members to go in and role-play ourselves while making big use out of the FtRPG functions. Something similar to Bloodery Pubbery, except maybe with a bit more...direction? ... Nervous

Another thing I came up with was perhaps to just start some general discussion on an issue here in the Classics forum. Some time ago, MintMan expressed his dislike for debates/arguments/ramblings here (11th post down). Maybe some intelligent talk could help our cause for this contest? Big Smile

The last thing I want to touch on in this (long) post is about getting smarter members on this site. I guess that, aside from making ourselves "smarter" Tongue , we could also scout out others to come...except we'd have to be quite careful. Myself, I don't have much idea how to predict success for this sort of endeavor... Nervous But, I guess if we try all sorts of things, we're bound to increase our chances of winning, right?

* hopes for someone else to take the initiative and start topics from the aforementioned points * Nervous

Oh, one more thing...

* uses CheerUp on MadGoblin to reverse his sad face *
Sword
Battalon127

Member #25

Aug 6, 2007 16:40

A new RP brawler. I like it, although I think direction could only hurt such a thing. For direction, look to REWS, where a system has been established to keep stories on track, and there's content a-plenty in there. No, I think an RP should be much more free-form. Stuff like Pubbery, Camo's Brewery, and the long-mourned Camo's Pub are fun because of a lack of direction.

By "intelligent conversation," I sincerely hope you aren't talking about some sort of intellecutal discussion thread. Because that could only go on for so long before some enlightened moron comes on and starts spewing pseudo-intellectual crap, completely ruining the conversation. But if you're talking about simply raising the IQ of regular, everyday conversation, I'm all for it. I know lots of big words. Big Smile

However, starting conversations here can be tough. First, it seems like it's hard to maintain many at once, perhaps because it's just the same several people in each topic, so when a new topic comes up, everyone jumps over to the new discussion and leaves the old one behind. Plus, with this group, it can be hard to find something that sticks. MintMan writes about Heroes, everyone thinks he's talking about Iraq. Blade writes about Harry Potter and it gets a couple of mentions, but no one's into it enough to talk much about it. Boyachi starts talking about politics and/or drinking and everyone flees (with good reason). Really the only topics that seem to stick or gain any momentum whatsoever are the ones with little real point (ie- Blade's rant which turned into the basic "What happened to everyone?" discussion.) Hmm, I wonder...

*walks out of thread muttering to himself*

Get Firefox 2.0 and never have an excuse for misspelling things again.
Sword
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Aug 6, 2007 21:36

Why intelligence, when random violence and stupidity are so much more fun?
  * class changes to Oracle **
Afiag

Member #242

Aug 6, 2007 22:46
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Aug 6, 2007 21:36, Lugiatrainer said:

Why intelligence, when random violence and stupidity are so much more fun?

You have a point. But don't degrade yourself in order to have fun.
  Kinda like smoking pot.
  Go ahead and knock yourself out wth some fun times and hilarious moments. But the rest of the time use that wrinkley, pale, ugly organ in your cranium called a brain. It would generally save you alot of irritating people, embarassment, and offensive remarks. Ridiculous notion,I know.
  There is only so much to be said about sacrificing your wits for a good time.

If ignorance is bliss, then you must be orgasmic.
Blade

Member #99

Aug 7, 2007 4:46

Ahh from the speech therunto I deduce that we all need a sound beating!

* uses BladeStormn on Afiag for a jolly good show! wot? wot! *

bring on the RP war! Give 'em blood n vinegar I say!

Plus you're legal now - MintMan
Sword
draggy1234

Member #97

Aug 9, 2007 21:00

I just thought of another idea for stimulating activity here!

* cue groans and mumbles at the declaration...again *

Remember how it was mentioned that smarter members would be beneficial to this site's well-being? Well, I was thinking, we could put some effort in scouting out potential new smart members to come here. BUT, in addition to that, why don't we also target some of the older members who no longer come here, for some reason or another? Some of us could try to invite them back for a short while. Maybe we could contact them through the e-mail addresses they have linked to their R.E. accounts here. Or, if some of them frequent certain forums, we could try to PM them at those places.

Just another thought thrown out there to see if anyone wants to catch on. Big Smile
Sword
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
Mar 29, 2024 11:15 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022