Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 19, 2024 3:59 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Silly Rabbit, Trix are For... mless Puffs

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
MadGoblin

Member #2

Mar 30, 2007 22:18
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

The ebb of time strikes again, making me feel like an old fart D'oh

"The new Trix cereal! Now with a new, round puff shape!"

Is it the year 1991? Am I one of the few here who remember 1991? Rather, am I one of the few here who was born before 1991?

What the hell is happening with cereal? There was a whole breakfast renaissance in the '90s that battered and twisted the known cereal market. All mascots got deformed into puffy-coat wearin' hipsters? Also, looks mattered Dead

New tastes were how it was done for decades, with several buried and lost classics like a vanilla Cap'n Crunch, Yummy Mummy, Pebbles and Krispies with marbits (oddly, they both pulled it off!), and others.

However, the nine-oh decade brought "fun shapes" and "brighter colors" which added nothing to the eating experience and, in fact, made it suck more. I mean, Trix already had a fun, fruit shape, and all of them were orangy orange, dammit!

Now, all those evils are being undone. Chocolate is being added to Lucky Charms, Cap'n Crunch, and even Life cereal! What a shock! This was all even pre-seen with the introduction of Cinna-Crunch Pebbles near the start of the double 0's. Sonny is now a nek-ed bird rather than a cool... high school kid? And, of course, Trix is back to balls. Pretty soon, Froot Loops will drop back down to just three colors Lick Take that, blue!

Is flash finally failing to flavor? Does deliciousness defeat dumb devices? Embarrassed

All I know is that I feel old, damn old. Get off my lawn, ya crazy kids!

"They're nutty as a squirrel's breakfest."
  - John "Bradshaw" Layfield, Commentary God
Lunar_Mage

Member #148

Mar 31, 2007 24:28
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

It's hard enough keeping up with all of the new flavor/image combos that are coming and going. It seems like they are coming out with something new about once every few months. Last I heard it was chocolate vanilla rice crispies.

You aren't the only one made to feel old by all of this. Heck, I still remember when there were three chefs advertising Cinnamon Toast crunch. I even remember when there were only two or three Dorito varieties, now there are about as many as there are fingers on your hands. Gotta love all of them different flavored chemicals. Dead

Even worse are some of the advertisements out nowadays. There are a few that annoy me so much that I change the channel.

*With much enthusiasm, uses ChangeSignature on Lunar_Mage's old, overused signature.
MintMan

Member #1

Mar 31, 2007 24:48
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wendel. baked those other two frog chefs into French Toast Crunch. Once he ran out of "ingredients", the line died out. Everything's for a reason, even if that reason is just a schizo delusion of mine Boggle

Vanilla Krispies -- yeah, that'll last. Know how many 'nilla cereals there are? As many limited edition variants as won't fly off the shelves! Nobody likes vanilla. I think most people see it as a sort of plain or flavorless variety.

What I want to see is a cereal get adventurous like they did way back in the day -- I'm talkin' even before geezers like me! How about some more solid flavored cereals? Boo and Frankenberry are all we got. Who cares if there are five fruity flavors? All together, they just sorta taste like a big bite of bla. They used to have strictly orange and strictly grape cereals. You telling me that a blueberry flavor trumps either of those? (Don't get me wrong -- Boo Berry is my absolute favorite cereal and I mean the unburied berry flavor no disrespect!) * uses BooBerry on MadGoblin *

Funny thing is -- and true story -- I was asking Gobbs just a few days ago if any generic Trix clones still came in the spherical pellet shape. Lo and behold, the real Trix now does. Whodathunkit?
Sword
boyachi

Member #92

Mar 31, 2007 13:32

I gotta say, the chocolate lucycharms sux. Not even 2004 Holiday spice pepsi could save the flavor. Mind you this was in 2004/early 05 that I tried this.
  I haven't seen kix in ages, did they take that off the shelf? Does anyone remember that there couldn't be MORE than 7 marshmellow shapes in lucky charms? Alphabits cereal used to be cool? There was a cocoa krispies monkey?

Does anyone remember how frikkin cool oatmeal used to be? Before that dino egg thing (that is prolly gone from the shelves now) there was treasure hunt, the awesomest cinnamon oatmeal EVER. And there were tons of flavors, and flavor jel swirl packets! What's hot? Oatmeal! Whats not? Cold and bland cereals. Remember that?
  *Insert solemn tribute to Waffle Crisp, even with the new eggo waffle cereal, it had no equal*
  Chip the dog and cookie crook, cookie crisp was what they took! I remember my mom wouldn't let me have that for breakfast because she didn't think it was healthy. Then again it tasted a whole lot better back then than it does now.
  Remember when calcium WASN'T added to cereal?

Btw, didn't they change how they made count chocula? It tastes different. That triplet of cereals comes and goes around here.

"Your Mom" - Dad's response to me answering the phone saying "hello?"
MadGoblin

Member #2

Mar 31, 2007 16:12

Wow, I forgot about some of that stuff. But, I'm afraid, a lot of that is regional.

For some ass-jacking reason, the Big Corporate feels that certain areas are good enough for certain products. You speak as tho' Waffle Crisp is long gone where as I just had bowls of it last week (honest!). But there's a lot of stuff that happens for, sadly. Why, there's food stuffs I can get in Kentucky but not in Ohio, and that's just sitting on top of the place! Bus over the goods, ya jerks! Angry

But I totally do remember most of that oatmeal stuff, not to mention the spiffin' "Dino Facts" that... they apparently either still make use of or I just had some really, really packets Wavey Mouth

Of course, I've recently discovered that the best warm breakfast is just rice, milk, sugar, and a dash of something like maple or cinnamon. Can't beat that Lick

Brain Flash! Anyone remember "Hidden Treasures" cereal? I don't think it was a main stream brand nor was it just a knock-off of some pre-existing puffs. It had these little squares that could or could not be filled with delicious fruity frosting filling. I think it was the "did not" that caused it to fail. I mean, after all:

"Don't put the non-marshmallow pieces back in the box. They go in the trash!" Laughing

"They're nutty as a squirrel's breakfest."
  - John "Bradshaw" Layfield, Commentary God
Lunar_Mage

Member #148

Mar 31, 2007 23:22
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Woah. It has been a while since I've seen Kix. That really bites. Angry Those were delicious! Of course, that statement may not carry a lot of weight, considering I was probably one of the few oddballs that liked Vanilla Coke.

I do indeed remember that hidden treasures cerial. I just never got to try it. One of the unfortunate things about having boring parents with boring tastes in cerial.

I'm gonna have to try that recipie of yours, Mad Gobbo. It sounds quite tasty. Lick

Edit: Do you prepare the rice with milk? Or with water, and just add the milk after it's done?

*With much enthusiasm, uses ChangeSignature on Lunar_Mage's old, overused signature.

[Edited by Lunar_Mage on Mar 31, 2007 23:27]
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 1, 2007 24:57

Yeah, his recipe. He discovered nothing! I was the one who told him about rice and milk. It is apparently an established albeit fairly uncommon homemade breakfast recipe. It was my cheap way of living in Massachusetts where the price of everything but rice is insanely high! Wouldn't think so, either, for the breakfastwise scenario as everyone there pretty much lives on Dunkin' Donuts...

There really is no "recipe" to it. You make rice. You put milk on it. You put it in your stomach. If it is leftover rice, you put the whole concoction in the microwave till warm. I don't know how cooking it with milk would turn out. I would assume that its storability would suffer from such. I typically made heaps of it at once, too, and lived off of it for several days, so I wouldn't want anything that might make it live less time.
  The only thing I ever changed about the cooking method was the addition of some sugar.

Cinnamon sounds weird, but apparently, that is the norm for the homemade recipe. I always used honey or dark Karo. I always had some handy as I typically use Karo on waffles instead of maple syrup. Read your labels! Most "maple syrup" AKA breakfast syrup is just corn syrup and sugar now, anyway. Hey, why aren't waffles and pamcakes gettin' any love in a breakfast topic?

This entire topic has prompted me to go online and order a twelve boxes of Boo and Franken Berry from Amazon -- free shipping, baby! At twenty cents an ounce, these rare cereals are actually cheaper than a lot of the supermarket regulars.

There is still, of course, the aforementioned option of homemade breakfast. If anyone finds anything good or just has a college student/cheap breakfast story, we're all ears. Here's another one for ya: jowl is a cheaper part of the big (the cheek or chin sack) that takes like bacon. Booyah!

And is it sad that we are nerding out over breakfast?

... Doughnut Lick
boyachi

Member #92

Apr 1, 2007 1:23

Kero Kato likes karo and cocoa. Say that ten times fast!
  ...what is karo exactly?
  Also, is there anyone that even toasts their poptarts? I seldom have and actually I believe I prefer them at room temperature.

Another big question. I'm sure that at one point in time, if a kid ever ate cereal with marshmellows, they've wanted a cereal OF marshmellows. My question is: how many of you have actually made yourself a bowl filled entirely with marshmellows(and beverage of choice)?

I'm not a breakfast guy, but I strive for an omelette with at least cheese and tomato.
  Best omelette I remember having was the colorado omelette from Ihop. Has steak, and doesn't fit on the plate.
  Best hot chocolate: bob evans. Don't ask me why. It just is, regardless of which bob evans it is.
  Crepes are good too.
  As for old fashioned breakfast recipies, I'm partial to the biscut and white gravy. Apparently its a southern comfort thing.

By seeing this signature, this forum member has passed the breathalayzer test
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 1, 2007 2:26

Karo is a big bottle o' corn syrup -- plain and simple. Well, not too plain. It comes in two varieties: light and dark. Light has vanilla; dark has molasses. I guess there is technically a third, maple variety, but who cares about that? The straight-up Karo has more applications, such as... um.... pie?

And yes, I toast my Pop Tarts. Always. That is what they are meant for. Not toasting them is a crime, in my book, and they are typically nasty unless you get the most chocolatey varieties.

Marshmallow bowl? Do you mean marbits (which, by the way, Gobbs should have mentioned is cereal lingo for "marshmallow bit") or actual marshmallows? Either way, the answer is no.
MadGoblin

Member #2

Apr 1, 2007 8:51

Yes, of course, I got the recipe from you, 'cuz, you know, Ems, it's not like OUR MOTHER HAD MADE THE STUFF FOR YEARS MUCH TO OUR DISGUST! I mean, rice and milk? Ewww, that just seemed so unnatural before, barring the fact that puffed rice cereal is, well, just that Shifty Eyes

The only thing you did is say, "Yeah, it's actually not completely disgusting and is cheap, too." Besides, I just said I discovered the fact that it was a good breakfast, not the breakfast itself. Quit yer word insertion, people!

But that's not what this topic is! It's about fruit-frosting-filling-finding robots poorly named after the initials of their cereal and Sprinkle Genies giving every kid what they always wanted: sprinkles for breakfast! Gee? Really? What about a mom and dad that actually love each other? Oh, snap, did you say for breakfast? Oh, screw the love thing! Dish me out some Spangle Dangles! Lick

I don't believe the Lick emoticon has ever gotten more use than this topic.

And are they really "marshmallows"? The marbit is a bit fundamentally different to go by the same name, I'd think. I mean, granted, they started out from the Circus Peanut, but now they are hard, crisp nuggets of yum, barely the puffy, light nugget of yum. Ah, who cares, both kick ass Big Smile

But doughnuts are great, too. I think they have a couple of cereals, now, in the guise of the nutted dough. Outside of the Cap'n's, there's what I think was some off brands (tho', as my thoughts with Hidden Treasures proved, I'm often wrong about who made what [hey, it's not my fault! Food at my house is bought from crappy stores that generally get old and discounted things that don't sell]), which, really, ain't Cheerios just really crappy, really hard donuts?

Now, what I'd wanna see are those creme sticks shrunk to a bowl, all filled with rich goodness. They could use the same recipe as Hidden Treasures' innards (damn, I keep going back to them Slanted Mouth ).

You know what I could never grasp, though: In this day of the internet, how come some generic or full cereal brand doesn't just make a knock-off/limited scale production of the cereals everyone clamours for? Think about it: If you just whipped up a few hundred bags (no boxes, just bags) of Frute Brute, Yummy Mummy, or Vintage Spoon brand's fruit flavored Goblin Gobblers ("A bowl of hellish minions to carry out your will: a fruitily delicious breakfast!"), and sold them over the internet, I think you could break even, maybe Wavey Mouth

"Boy meets girl. Girl is kinda stoned. Boy has nachos."
  -Classic American Love Story, Still Standing
Lunar_Mage

Member #148

Apr 1, 2007 9:05

For hot chocolate fans, I do have a couple of pointers. Stay away from General Foods International Suisse Mocha. 'Tis bland city. Nestle Abuelita (mexican hot chocolate), which is sold in tablets of all things, is actually quite good. Depending on how strong you like your drink, you may want to double the amount of tablets called for. If you go to a coffee shop where you can get flavorings and stuff added to your cocoa, try this: hot cocoa with pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and gingerbread flavorings in it. These may only be availible around the holiday season, but they are well worth it. It makes the cocoa taste similar to a graham cracker, only much much better because it's hot chocolate too. Finally, I do have a coffee tip: when you brew your coffee, grind up a cinnamon stick and mix it with the coffee grounds. It gives a faint, but good cinnamon taste to the coffee. I suppose adding more sticks might make the taste stronger. I'll have to try that.

SailorSassyStar

Member #19

Apr 4, 2007 21:04
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I miss the old cereals too! I've recently been watching some tapes recorded back in the mid 90's and the commercials are hilarious even though I remember all of them. There's a bunch with the coco pebbles, but I have to say my favorite cereal used to be the one with the marshmallow bats. Chocolate cereal and funny shaped 'mallows belong to Count Chocula! =S Why do you guys always have to talk about yummy foods? *runs off to devour much chocolate*
MadGoblin

Member #2

Apr 5, 2007 11:41

Well, Tris, we gotsta be talkin' the foodings since it's been nearly the full forty days into Lent and Ems and I both give up yummers for the duration D'oh Stupidest annual sacrifice ever! Three more days, three more days, three more days...

Speaking of mocha: coffee cereal! Man, would that be a time saver. Have a bowl of O's and a cup of joe all at once! I swear, I gotta write things things down. I mean, coffee ice cream is delish, and people already load up their bean with so much creme and sugar that it might as well be milk-doused, sweetened crunches.

Anyhoo, now I'm crazy obsessed with actually making Vintage Spoon in some form or another. Seriously. I want to sponsor/make cereal. That'd be awesome.

(13:38:44) VinnyD78: lol, if you were a hot dog, would you eat yourself?
  (13:39:31) Bimblesnaff: Yes. I'd be half chicken, half pork, and all delicious.
  (13:39:43) Bimblesnaff: I'm putting this in my RE sig rotation.
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 19, 2024 3:59 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022