Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 20, 2024 7:35 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Heroes

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 4, 2006 22:13
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

How the Hel do we not have a topic for this yet? And how do you stop an exploding man?

* drools * They have these things planned out for fives years, too. So awesome!

"It's so great being alive. You get to eat at Denny's, wear a hat -- it's fantastic." ~ Norm MacDonald
animewatcher

Member #258

Dec 5, 2006 11:35
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Erm- what are you referring to, Mint?

You talking about that tv series? Our boys and girls over in Iraq? Orrr somethin else?
Pikang

Member #230

Dec 5, 2006 12:07
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

With the "exploding man" comment, I would say that he's referencing the Iraq situation. I'm not entirely sure, though...

OMG! CORNFLAKES W/O SUGAR!!! HOW COULD YOU KONYOSHI!!?!?!

*Paradox goes on a rampage, throwing chairs, boxes, pens, markers, dirty diapers, #2 pencils, recliners, couches, beds, Vajra, Mark, a barell, some sneakers, a tv, another tv, another tv, the boxes for those tv's, a bell, a ring, a handle, a box of cards, George of the Jungle, himself, and finally a toilet.*
MadGoblin

Member #2

Dec 5, 2006 13:30
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

You made me cry. I hope you're happy now.

* brings forth a TheAwsomenessOfHeroes to aid himself in this grim time *

Dang skippin' he means the series. Geez, no wonder a topic about this wasn't already made Slanted Mouth It's only the greatest non-comedy show to grace the TV screen since... I dunno... mostly anything that is good is a comedy... Law & Order? Wavey Mouth

People here really don't give half a flaming rat about this? Man, no wonder StW crashed and burned. Well, that, and, you know, ... Shifty Eyes Yeah.

"Now broadcasting with twice the power. It's like giving Cyclops two eyes."
  "Oo, depth perception! Rarg!"
  - WFNX, Boston
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 5, 2006 14:26

Dudeness! How can no one here watch Heroes? Not only is it one of those insanely popular shows (tops for 18-45 demographic), but this one is actually good. And related to nerd subject matter.

This is just disappointing, is what this is. Even sadder is how every one looked at the second part of my message and said "Hmm, I may not know about that television series, but it sure seems like that second half about drooling and having plans for the next five years refers to the war in Iraq!" Mean Look F***tard liberal hippy douches.
Rook

Member #112

Dec 5, 2006 15:26
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, that'll happen when you make the same exact mistake as Leroi when he posted "Madness Anyone?" by telling us the name and nothing about it! Ironically, you're the one who pretty much penalized him for it, too.

Please don't hurt me.

Anyways, I've heard of this (haven't seen it yet), but didn't recognize it until it was clarified. Looks cool.

* uses MistBarrier to protect himself even though it is an inferior command *

"I can't find any kids! It's like they ditched me in advance!"
  -- Lisa Simpson, The Simpsons
Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Dec 5, 2006 16:46

Well, no... not at all.

The internet is very, very vast. No matter the size of a phenomenon, there's still a good chance that no one ever heard of it. eBay and Google are still unknown to some people. Stupid people, albeit, but people nevertheless.

Heroes, on the other hand, is the broadcast television smash hit that's sweeping the nation. While access to the internet is still not in the hands of 100% of Americans, there's still the additional what-people-do-with-the-net factor that has to be applied to that. When prime-time, national broadcast station programming is the subject, it's assumed nearly everyone has the ability to be familiarized with it.

Asking what people think of it is like asking what people think of Lost. It's generally assumed that people would be familiar with it as opposed to, oh, Still Standing (I loved the show, but I doubt many people really knew of it).

Lost, on the topic, sucks ass. To quote countless, in that series, things "only pretend to happen." In Heroes, things do happen, and to top it off prophetic visions show glimpses of the greater greatness to come.

The Madness series that Lerioi mentioned is a popular but hardly a national sweeper. Heroes, on the other hand, is the television show nerds have been dreaming about. I can't believe the stuffy suits actually let a sci-fi show get a prime-time slot and not be canceled!

See, Ems was under the impression that everyone at RE was at least some degree of a nerd. Obviously, he was wrong.

Dead, dead wrong Dead

"Bye bye, head!"
  -JBL, Commentary God
Rook

Member #112

Dec 5, 2006 21:35
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I'm what you could call a Nintendo fanboy, classifying me as a video game nerd.

(Crappy Zelda cartoon quote removed. It was just too stupid.)

I really just don't trust commercials anymore. Is it on the SciFi channel? They have good stuff...sometimes. Eureka and Dead Like Me aren't bad.

I usually watch G4TV (video games, technology, and other such geekiness), Comedy Central, Spike TV (usually Star Trek), and Adult Swim. I think those are good qualifications for being a nerd. Tongue

"I can't find any kids! It's like they ditched me in advance!"
  -- Lisa Simpson, The Simpsons

[Edited by Rook on Dec 5, 2006 21:37]
Battalon127

Member #25

Dec 6, 2006 12:43
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Actually, it's on NBC. I'm not sure what that means for you, Rook. Do you get US network programs at the same time we do. I mean, I know Canadians who don't get our new shows for at least a year, but that could just be because they're, y'know, Canadian.

I finally started watching it last night, which is a very bad thing, because now I want to keep watching until I catch up, and I've got finals next week.

In my defense, the only TV I've seen all season is How I Met Your Mother and The Class, and those are on ABC's website. Heroes has been on my "To Watch" list for a while, though, and this topic finally pushed me over the edge. I'm not making any sort of "I don't have time to watch TV" excuse, because I have the time. I just don't have cable, and antennas don't pick up anything but a really grainy PBS in my room.

I was a fan of "Still Standing" though, does that count for anything?

On topically, when you say they have it planned for five years, Mints, are you saying they've got five year's worth of plot? Because that is SO awesome. While it doesn't guarantee that the show won't start out cool and then peter out, it's certainly encouraging. Which is always my fear for good shows.

You may have noticed by now that I like to analyze things. If you do to, you may be interested in the above paragraph. If you don't, well this is probably all you read of the above post. Thank you for your time.
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 6, 2006 14:21

Thank you! Finally, at least someone acknowledges Heroes. I know the first episode was streaming from NBC's web site; I think the others may be as well. Me, I can't stand watchin' stuff on my computer, and I really can't wait for Heroes to be streaming in order to watch it!

And yes, it is on broadcast TV like Gobbo mentioned multiple times. And, if you do watch Sci-Fi, then you would have had to see at least some commercials for Heroes. I mean, not only are NBC and Sci-Fi both owned by Universal, but they have shown Heroes at least once a week on Sci-Fi. NBC-Universal owns, like, five cable stations now, and if they don't put the show on that channel, I know they hocked the "Save the cheerleader; save the world" commercial ad nauseum on those stations at the very least.

And you must remember what Lerioi did in her post: it wasn't that no one knew what Madness was, but that she asked if anyone knows about it... Shifty Eyes What does that mean? Does anyone else watch it? Does anyone know something about it to tell her about it because she doesn't? There are a multitude of things that could have meant.

"How the Hel do we not have a topic for this yet?" is a rhetorical question, although I think it was answered by the saddening vacuum of nerdism here at RE. And again, it wasn't that people didn't know what Heroes was; apparently, the title of "Heroes" wasn't specific enough Mean Look

Moving on, Heroes is awesome and shall remain awesome. How do I know it won't slide in the future? I've got three words for ya:

Giant
  Rock
  Monster

Hels... yeah. * brings forth a GiantRockMonster on TheAwsomenessOfHeroes * Nothing in the series as so much as hinted to it yet, but it is all there in the graphic novels, which makes this show even more awesome!
Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Dec 6, 2006 15:00

True dat.

One of the title characters, the guy who paints the future (not a spoiler as its the first and every other episode!), just has a bunch of artwork of awesomenesses that "appears" in the Heroes' art gallery at the show's site and the "9th Wonders" site for more awesome. As if the show doesn't give you enough to look forward to, these things just leave you begging for more than the end of each episode does! (and that's a fric-bloody-king lot) For example:

• Energy man! Embarrassed

• T-rex vs. Hiro with a sword Laughing

• Picture of one of the characters holding another picture while bein' all evils likes Dot Mouth

Aaaand that's about all the things that don't spoil anything that's happened yet. But, the best part is, they will happen! ... within five years! Crying Tears of joy...

But, okay, so Rook, with his I-think-is-Aussieness, holds a legitimate excuse for not knowing 'bout Heroes, seeing as I know nothing 'bout how the shows flow ov' tho'... 'ere.

"Look at them. They make my eyeballs happy."
      -Jerry "The King" Lawler on Mickie James Big Smile
  • Rook

Member #112

Dec 6, 2006 16:55

I really hope that was a joke. Because you would be dead wrong about me being an Aussie. I have no idea where everyone has gottem that idea. I live on the east side of the United States fo America. And now I must laugh at you. HAHAHA! Laughing

I don't watch NBC except the news in the morning, and I haven't seen it on the SciFi channel.

"The very concept of fairness makes me laugh."
      -- A friend of mine from fencing class.
    MintMan

Member #1

Dec 6, 2006 17:33

He keeps confusing you with Blade. You arrived around the same time, you both have monosyballic names, you both have Tatzelwurms. Seems 'bout right.

Then, y'know, you started a Super Soakers topic in the dead of northern hemisphere winter.

That, and Peteroverloadbombboomrockmonster!

Masamuno:Whoa Katoe whats that.Katoe:A nidhogg Portal this is where nidhoggs pop out hmmm where are you....it comes!! - My Kamaitachi
    Battalon127

Member #25

Dec 6, 2006 23:57
    E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah the SuperSoakers thing is what got me. Y'know Rook, if you'd've posted your location on Frapper a while back we never would've had this misunderstanding. Of course Rook's Americanism means that he does not has a legitimate excuse. Hell, I don't even have much less watch network TV, and I knew about the show.

* For, uh... deceiving us with fake southern-hemispherity mutates a GlowingRook * Boy I've missed FtRPG.

[Edit- What the hell? Obviously combining Bio in that tech had some effects I wasn't expecting. What's up with the naming conventions there?]

You may have noticed by now that I like to analyze things. If you do to, you may be interested in the above paragraph. If you don't, well this is probably all you read of the above post. Thank you for your time.

[Edited by Battalon127 on Dec 7, 2006 24:00]

[As always, Bio does not have a target; it mutates something on yourself. The only thing it requires is an ID, and since Rook was already taken, it created a unique ID in GlowingRook.
      FtRPG has been away for too long; this sorta thing used to happen all the time.]

[Edited by MintMan on Dec 7, 2006 1:50]
    Sword
    Lunar_Mage

Member #148

Dec 7, 2006 16:52
    Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Dang, I'm gonna have to start to read that online graphic novel. That thing sounds awesome. Shifty Eyes This show has become one of my favorates. 'Tis much better thant that one Surface show that they had on last year. Stupid script writers spoiled what could have otherwise been a great show.

"I'm sharpening my knife, kupo!" - Moguo, FFIX
    Sword
    MadGoblin

Member #2

Dec 7, 2006 17:44

That is actually a great comparison to the "new trend", Mage-o.

You see, kiddies, ever since the appearance of crap bomb known as "Lost", the suits over at the network said, "Hey, a sci-fi-esque show that more than nerds love. Plus, we still get the geek wave. You know what that means, folks, we gotta start churning out the science fauxion shows!"

These shows were like, yes, Surface, and its other contemporaries, Threshold. The ideas behind them, much like Lost, were simple: have an overwhelming cool plot that you never touch upon; instead, focus only on the characters and use them as devices to slowly dust whatever greatness could be buried under the crap.

Lost did this pretty well... when its was a sweeps month. As has been cried out over the net: things only pretended to happen.

That's why I, and countless others, adore heroes. The s*** goes down like no one's business. You don't sit there and go, "Oh, what was that? Was that something about to happen?" No, it just happens. They took the formula and said, "You know, we just have a good sci-fi show here. Let's just, oh, make it... like it should be. Why crap on it?"

Frankly, I'm surprised they got it right Embarrassed

And, yes, I ranted this for the sole purpose of kicking Lost in its non-existant nuts Angry

"And when I say 'holy cow', I mean udderly, udderly fantastic."
      -JBL, Wrestling God
    MintMan

Member #1

Dec 7, 2006 23:45

Good ol' Lunar Mage. He likes saving cheerleaders and Saving the World. He's one of the cool kids.

Yeah, my big fear about Heroes was that it was either gonna be good and canceled or suck and last forever; whoddathunk it would be good and uncanceled?

I think something that really helps Heroes not have those fake hold-outs in it is the fact that the people in the show aren't idiots. "What? Oh, your power is healing. That's why I am still alive. And I'm a leech -- I only needed to take two powers to figure that one out!" Saves us nerds so many head aches and scratchy vocal cords from yelling at our TVs...

Which brings me to my only complaint about the show: January 22nd? Are they frickin' serious? They can't put on eleven episodes of that calibre and then have us wait for over a month for more! And what's with pre-empting the reruns for more game shows? Does NBC think it isn't gonna get ratings? Or does NBC think viewers won't figure it out until they get some favorable ratings?
      "I didn't know Pen and Teller were super heroes!"
    Lunar_Mage

Member #148

Dec 8, 2006 10:10
    Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

*Twitch*

That's what they are doing!? Another crappy gameshow clone!! Those things suck! It was bad enough when they came out with that crappy Deal or No Deal show, but it unfortunately did well enough that it spawned a load of craptacular clones! It's like Who wants to be a millionare all over again. *Shudders*

What happened to the good old days when they actually showed repeats and you could actually catch up on the episodes that you missed? Crying Good thing that I have kept up on Heroes.

Eager to see what they do with that crazy Syler. They mentioned that he was slowly destabilizing due to all the alterations he was making on himself. Sounds fun. Lick

Sword
    MintMan

Member #1

Dec 8, 2006 10:31

The game shows don't do well enough; they do cheap enough. NBC was mad running out of money and decided to stop making more high-end comedies and dramas. (Studio 60 has gotta be eating a whole in there pockets and losing money like nobody's business.)

As for Sylar, did you notice that Peter was wearing a Sylar watch when he 'sploded? I didn't, but then I saw screen captures of it. Also, Sylar in his cell had no watch on. What does this mean? Was the vision of Sylar and not of Peter? Does Peter go evil and they must overload his leech power in order to stop him? Do they have to blow up Uluru?

The answer is... wait six weeks Crying
    Lunar_Mage

Member #148

Dec 8, 2006 12:05

Hmmm... Syler can "See how things work," and appearently make highly detailed alterations to things such as genetic code... Theoretically, he could use his power to overwrite his own mind into Peter's mind, along with his power(s), thus allowing him to cheat death/insanity due to the destabilization of his own genetic material.

Sword
    <- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
    Page:  1  2  3 
    Apr 20, 2024 7:35 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022