Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 25, 2024 10:07 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: 'Puter 'Splode!

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 21, 2006 22:59
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Welp, my computer just died. I was defragging and anti-spyware installing for days until I realized that it was a hardware issue, not software, and now the blutty thing won't even turn on. It isn't the fan, so I don't know what the problem is.

Sucks when 'puters 'splode.

"It's so great being alive. You get to eat at Denny's, wear a hat -- it's fantastic." ~ Norm MacDonald
boyachi

Member #92

Sep 22, 2006 24:31
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Is it a dell? I'd say the harddrive is the problem.
  Just saying from experience. Not to harp. Thats the great thing about websites. If your computer goes they stay up. When you taking the thing in for a check up?

The New Dawn has risen. Are you the one to unlock it?
Battalon127

Member #25

Sep 22, 2006 1:56
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Support Desk Rep to the rescue... or not. We'll see.
  Do you see anything light up on the motherboard when the power is on and plugged in? If not, it's most likely your psu. In fact, if you can find a working psu that will at least match your current one for wattage, try hooking it up to your mobo. If it's not the psu, I'd guess fried processor. Which means upgrade time!

[Edit- actually, upon re-reading of your original message, I begin to think that something (psu or cpu) was not cooling properly. You said you'd been defragging and anti-spywaring. Was the computer by any chance experiencing random slowdowns or freezings? If so, one of your fans (my money's on the processor) probably went out. That doesn't necessarily mean The End as long as the processor isn't fried, simply overheating quickly. And as long as the computer isn't a brand name (boo, Alienware excluded) with a propriety heatsink mounting system. Then just get a new fan (which is highly recommended anyway, stock cooling sucks). But yeah, try the psu thing first, if you can.

This message is not endorsed by me. I am not responsible for any harm, physical, emotional, mental, or otherwise that may result from the above communique.

[Edited by Battalon127 on Sep 22, 2006 2:01]
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 22, 2006 2:20

I have already long since assumed that it was the fan (the hard-to-reach one, processor) or some unheating part as it is going through the same things my last faultily cooling computer did. However, it was only a Pentium II, so left in a cool room, that thing could run again, at least for a little while. This is a Celeron, and while it really isn't that fast, it's heat still is much, much greater. Perhaps I can get the necessary files out of it by leaving it outside overnight...

"I eat the squirrel and pee on the tree!" - Dwarf-O, The Greatest Comic
SailorSassyStar

Member #19

Sep 23, 2006 13:39
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Haha, exploding compies suck. Upside Down Smile I've crashed the computers at school before even logging in, but I've never messed up a computer so bad that it wouldn't even turn back on.

It sounds like you need a t-shirt like one of my favorites. It says, "Smash head on key board to continue" and looks like those annoying little pop-up you get right before it blue screens.
Afiag

Member #242

Sep 23, 2006 18:34
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Once upon a time, I turned my computer on. And less than a minute later, it froze. Every time I turned it on, this is the crap I got.

Now, I don't know about all of you, but I would prefer that my comp not bother turning on at all if it's just going to go into a coma mere seconds later.

If ignorance is bliss, then you must be orgasmic.
boyachi

Member #92

Sep 23, 2006 21:08

I don't get it, how am I supposed to have a hostile take over behind your back while your computer crashed when you are still able to get on?

When running on railings: one should be able to climb ropes with just their arms. While this does little for your balance, being able to support your weight with your arms when you are about to rack yourself is a marvelous thing.
Camo

Member #5

Sep 23, 2006 21:45
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Try throwing it at the wall, that sometimes fixes things, maybe hit with hammer?

Pokemon Australia - keeping Aussie trainers in touch
Afiag

Member #242

Sep 23, 2006 23:59

I think dropping it from the roof might be more effective than throwing it against the wall.
  Plus, there wouldn't be a hole in your drywall.

Shinyumo

Member #236

Sep 24, 2006 11:18
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wow. You people are violent. Obviously, what you want to do is talk to the computer, try to reason with the computer, try to understand the computer's feelings. You might even want to try hugging the computer.

After you've gotten that desperate, THAT's when you want to bust out the hammer and smash it in the face.
TheFireToad

Member #244

Sep 24, 2006 12:33
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Tell that to my old computer. When I tried reasoning with it, it went crazy and ran at me with a hacksaw!

I grabbed the nearest screwdriver and stabbed it in self defense.

In this world there are things that people mustn't touch. Who cares!

-Kalas (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)
boyachi

Member #92

Sep 24, 2006 17:26

Attacking the monitor does no good and with how flimsy drywall is, oh I know how weak it is, throwing that only hurts you in the long run. Asphalt is stronger than concrete in my experiences. Just saying if you can hit either from your window.

When running on railings: one should be able to climb ropes with just their arms. While this does little for your balance, being able to support your weight with your arms when you are about to rack yourself is a marvelous thing.
Camo

Member #5

Sep 25, 2006 4:03
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Oh your all computosexuals!

Poo.
Pikang

Member #230

Sep 25, 2006 10:12
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Computer: How are you Mints!!
  MintMan:...?
  Computer: All your hardware are belong to us!!
  Computer: You are on way to destruction.
  MintMan: What you say?!?
  Computer: You have no chance to reboot make your time!
  Computer: HAHAhahaaaaaaa...

This is what I picture in my mind.

Hey!!! I found where that cyberdemon was hiding! ^_^ 0 stars moron.
  The green mareng sold ear to the cyberdeMon and now he wants the wHale head into his bed dead. The mareng sat for a mOment...."Legendary Necrophiles!" You heard the scream! Th3n the maReng is head Felt fuzzy... BuzzZ... BEEP!What's this!!!
Afiag

Member #242

Sep 25, 2006 18:06

The voice of the computer would only be a creepy Speak'n'Spell voice.

I think that Armageddon is for sure going to have something to do with robots and computers turning on us.
  We ought to quit developing artificial intelligence, and begin on artificial stupidity.

Rook

Member #112

Sep 26, 2006 16:35
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

No. Just no. Stop it. Let it die.

Sucks about your computer. Was it a good one, or was it a fossil? If it was an old one, you might as well take everyone's advice and trash it. Violently.

Or you could be smart and try to get $50 out of the spare parts. Boggle

If it's a nice computer, then that really sucks. Frown

"There's so many people whose asses I have to kick! I'll have to carry a list to remember them all!"
  -- Ed, Fullmetal Alchemist
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 26, 2006 23:04

Pfft, I don't believe in nice computers, but it wasn't old. 'Twas a three hundred dollar Celeron Dell with only forty gigs on it. One of the biggest upsides to it was the fact that it had a disk drive, which is where I store all of my stuff (since all of my stuff is years old, when people actually had to use "floppy" disks). Now I am pretty much boned.
  Maybe there is a lab on campus that hasn't had its machines updated yet...

Or I could just spring some of my substantial no-social-life wealth to just fix the blutty thing.
Afiag

Member #242

Sep 27, 2006 20:56

Merg, a lab that hasn't upgraded their computers in.. oh, maybe 4 years at least.
  On campus? I doubt it. You'd probably have more luck at a library.

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 25, 2024 10:07 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022