Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 28, 2024 19:50 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Crikey

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 4, 2006 12:22
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Not even more than an hour ago, everybody's favorite wildlife expert Steve Irwin was stung through the heart by a stingray and died.

Stingray deaths are rare, too. Only two or three have ever even been recorded for Australia.

Rest in peace, buddy.
Rook

Member #112

Sep 4, 2006 12:32
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah, I heard about that.

At least he died doing what he loved.

*sniff* Crying

This is what I call an 'Oh s***!' moment.
TheFireToad

Member #244

Sep 4, 2006 13:14
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

When I first heard about this, I thought it was a joke. I have to admit I'm a little sad.

He was pretty awesome. And it's never happy seeing someone so sucessful die at his age.

In this world there are things that people mustn't touch. Who cares!

-Kalas (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)
BlackChaosMew

Member #269

Sep 4, 2006 14:11
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wow... Oh well.

Jack and Jill went up the Hill to smoke some Marjuana. Jack got drunk, unzipped his fly and said do ya wanna? Jill said yes and for a while they had some fun. But Silly Jill forgot her pill and soon they had a son.
Shinyumo

Member #236

Sep 4, 2006 14:17
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wow, BCM, you really cared about him, huh? Tongue
boyachi

Member #92

Sep 4, 2006 14:37
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

The marshes were his home waters, but I guess this time he got too deep.
  But really, think about the size that ray must have been, from the sounds of it, the barb wasn't his tail. To have a barb that size it would...what have to be double any of those aquarium guppie rays that you thought were enormous. Worst thing is you know that they prolly had the anti venom in the boat, heck maybe on the divers, but as we all know, you need potions to cure stab wounds, not antidotes.
  Though an elixir would have done the trick, but then so would a phoenix down, and sadly those don't exist...
  for the public...

Mintman: god of web -Mai
Rook

Member #112

Sep 4, 2006 15:51
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

He did more in two years than most of us will do in our entire lives. He was fortunate enough to die loving it, he died doing what he loved. Many die in a hospital from diseases, slowly withering away, and hating it. That's not how anyone wants to go.

It's ironic. Years of wrestling fearsome creatures, and he is killed by the relatively peaceful stingray. I would've bet anything that it would've been a snake.

"There's so many people whose asses I have to kick! I'll have to carry a list to remember them all!"
  -- Ed, Fullmetal Alchemist

[Edited by Rook on Sep 4, 2006 15:53]
Camo

Member #5

Sep 4, 2006 16:10
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I'm upset.......

Upset he got killed by a sting ray.

I was hoping his demise would be like this:
  His wrestling 2 of the biggest crocks his ever wrestled, his got them tied up lieing in the mud and they can't move, his bellowing a laugh whilst clouds gather behind him, then slowly the largest crock EVER slowly stands up from the water then eats him whole.

Would have been a much better ending if you ask me. But now, little Biscuit is going to have to train all crocks to destroy all rays. Leaves for an interesting war.

Oh no I seem to have soiled my trousers yet again
  That's ok my poos are nice I consider them my freinds
  - Nancy Vandal
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 4, 2006 20:48

Not surprisingly, I think that's how he pictured himself going out, too.

I don't mind the sun sometimes, the images it shows.
  I can taste you on my lips and smell you in my clothes.
  Cinnamon and sugary and softly spoken lies,
  You never know just how you look through other people's eyes. - Butthole Surfers, "Pepper"
TheFireToad

Member #244

Sep 4, 2006 21:45
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Personally, I would have preferred him getting eaten by the croc that he almost fed his son to.

Although I can't deny the awesomeness of Camo's description

In this world there are things that people mustn't touch. Who cares!

-Kalas (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)
Cheetarius

Member #10

Sep 4, 2006 23:25
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Frankly, it's a weird thing. I'm not much of a fan, but my little sister has been idolizing the guy, it seems. He was only 44, too - that's 16 years younger than my dad - yeesh. Two kids, too.

I guess it is something to be thankful for that he went out doing what he loved. Don't know exactly how much that counts, tho.

- Cheetarius, Wondering What This Button Does...
MadGoblin

Member #2

Sep 5, 2006 8:44

One of the most puzzling bits from the whole deal was the instigation of the event. All that happened was the li'l (a word used sparingly) bugger lifted its tail to say, "Hey, now, you've been warned." Turns out, when you are the width of three full grown men standing with their arms spread out, a little pop of your barbed tail turns into more of a powerful thrust.

Antivenom wouldn't have done any good, by the way. This was a puncture. They don't gots a cure fer that.

"He's coming back, and I think there is only one way we can stop Falak...."
  "Old school?" asked Dracon.
  "Old school," replied Leander.
  - The Search. Old school.
Camo

Member #5

Sep 5, 2006 15:25

I'm not sure, but I think their barbs pop out bacteria, not venom, so antivenom wouldn't have done any good anyways.

c**t me up scotty
Afiag

Member #242

Sep 5, 2006 15:39
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Egads.
  Actually, since I don't bother with watching the news, I found this out from my algebra teacher this morning.

Of course, I expected something dynamic, tragic, and predictable that had to do with several huge ferocious crocodiles.

But alas, he had it coming I'm afraid.
  I spent many moments of my childhood wondering how long it would be before he was killed by one of his animal pals.

Dead

If ignorance is bliss, then you must be orgasmic.
boyachi

Member #92

Sep 5, 2006 19:17

Heard he was videotaping the rays for his 8yo daughter. Just imagine how she must feel...well hopefully she's too young to think that. Apparently he was a huge conservationalist and they are planning a state funeral for the guy. Supposedly he was amazing in Australia...any aussies that can vouch for this? Not because you live there but I'm prejudice and I believe aussies above all other people. Tongue

"oh and before i devour you 2 ill tell you my name is Valkyor." - My Kamaitachi
Zedd

Member #76

Sep 5, 2006 20:36
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Oh aye. He was big here. Though a lot of Australians were a little bit embarrassed by the persona he portrayed to the world. He was big enough that when he died, a person in my English class was called by her mother (in the middle of class) just to say "Steve Irwin died".

Yeah, he was doing a recording for his young daughter's TV program. They have the whole death on tape. All of it. I just hope the media Mongols (moguls, if you really want the proper term) don't get a hold of it.

Someone over here said CNN has been bradcasting that he died riding the stingrays. If that's what all the news is saying in America, read Gobbs' description. It's apparently (according to what we get over here) about right. Though what they're saying varies hugely in some things, for instance, when he died. Some say he took hours to die (unlikely, it would seem, considering circumstances), and others say it was almost instant, as soon as he pulled the barb out, which he did do.

And also yes, he was a huge conservationist. One of Australia's biggest. His own wildlife park. Conservation work all over the place. Quaranitne ads. The works.

To sit on the fence is a dangerous call, but someone's gotta do it.

[Edited by Zedd on Sep 5, 2006 20:39]
Camo

Member #5

Sep 6, 2006 1:34

He was a lot bigger over seas than here in Australia.
  He did become sorta big over the last couple of years, but I'm sure less than 10% of his money comes from here. Unless it's tourists that are here.

Pokemon Australia - keeping Aussie trainers in touch
MintMan

Member #1

Sep 6, 2006 2:52

On Sep 5, 2006 15:39, Afiag said:

But alas, he had it coming I'm afraid.

Hardly. The bloke was a professional, prolly the best in the biz. His incomparable knowledge of wildlife was put to good use debunking just how dangerous the scary and lesser liked portions of the animal kingdom were.

People hate reptiles; snakes and crocs and lizards had such a bad rap, mostly because of their uncuddly nature. Steve loved 'em, tho'. He tried so hard to dispel the fears that surrounded them, and in the end, it wasn't any of these thought-killers that got him, but something that only has a handful of freak deaths to its name. This wasn't coming at all. He woulda been leapin' on gators in the same khaki shorts another forty-four years from now if it weren't for an unluckily placed barb.

This isn't something that could be prepared for like staying out of a snake's striking range. Rays aren't supposed to kill people. That's like getting the bubonic plague from your dog's fleas. It shouldn't happen, but it can happen, and you'll never see it coming 'cause of the simple fact that it shouldn't happen.
Camo

Member #5

Sep 6, 2006 4:05

Actually I think the greatest Herpo of all time was a bloke by the name Berrisfed (Or something like that) Smith.

c**t me up scotty
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Mar 28, 2024 19:50 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022