Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 29, 2024 1:06 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Game Help

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
goku32

Member #118

Jul 11, 2006 9:56
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Alright so I'm pretty much amazed by this site. It has very fun and interactive games, and the makers are still interactive with the players directly. You dont find that much anymore. So Thanks to Mint and MadGoblin and all the others that pretty much run this site. Now to the meaning of this post. Seeing as I'm searching for a career in game programming I was wondering if anyone could give me a site or advice that would help me write a game that was sorta of like what Mint has on here. Thanks alot for any help I can get. Just a heads up, I'm more or less a complete noob with Javascript, but I can use HTML alright. I want to learn ol' JS though so I wanna write the game in it.

"This would be a heck of alot easier if we were a dictatorship, Just as long as I'm the dictator"----President George "Dubbya" Bush
MintMan

Member #1

Jul 11, 2006 11:14
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

If you wanna write a JavaScript game (and I suggest that you start with it instead of going right into CGI), you can pretty much get hosted anywhere (another reason I suggest it first instead of a hard-to-find CGI host). You can find a good, ad-free unlimited space host at ClickHereFree. Angelfire and GeoCities suck too hard to try and use now, and if you have to pay for something like this? Fuggitaboutit.

Next is the most important step that no one ever does: go to the freakin' library! They have tons of books on programming -- including JavaScript -- that many neglect because they feel that all written knowledge is on-line now.
  Well, it ain't. The only thing internet sources are good for is looking up glossaries of functions and objects, not how to use actually use them.

So get a book (Sybex is usually good; O'Reilley is fairly trustworthy) and don't just learn how to do the examples; actually learn how to create things from scratch.
  Now, I must warn you up front that the normal chances of someone learning how to program -- let alone even make a game -- is about zero percent. I'll give you higher since I know you aren't an idiot.
  Most people just don't get programming. Even supposed programmers do not actually understand how to do it correctly, lending to many inefficiencies and uglinesses.
goku32

Member #118

Jul 29, 2006 1:14
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Ahh just noticed you responded. Yeah I'll defiantely give the library a check tommorow, but I DO live in a little dirt-poor town so I dont know what good it will do. I'll probably go to the next large town. And blimey, did I get paid a comment? Not an Idiot! Sweet. I got another question. I've been doing research at the library and gotten a little bit of info off of the net, but I'm having trouble on how to create a forum for my bands angelfire. If you could give me some help it will be most appreciated. Even if you could get me a code would be SEVERELY helpful. I'm not so good at writing those yet.... Thanks again Mint.

If looks could kill, my profession would be staring.

[Edited by goku32 on Aug 1, 2006 16:23]
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Mar 29, 2024 1:06 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022