Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 19, 2024 14:28 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Happy U.S. Independence Day

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Jul 4, 2006 15:05
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

For all the Americans here (at least the ones who pay attention to the holidays), at last it has arrived -- the 230th "birthday" of the United States of America. Remember, don't drink and drive - we don't want any more problems with that than there will be.

If you're not American, I guess you either:
  a) are happy about all the effects of 7/4 on the U.S. economy, or
  b) absolutely don't give a darn.

Whatever the case...just wanted to make another demi-pointless yet not-100%-spam statement. Have fun.

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  The best Mario club, only for the best Mario fans!
Afiag

Member #242

Jul 4, 2006 16:44
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

You know, I suspect that the vast majority of Americans just use the 4th of July as an excuse to get together and have lovely barbeques and parties.

I rarely hear "Happy Indepandance Day!" As opposed to "Happy fourth of July!"
  Few people really give a darn that today was the day we declared independence.
  It's really just the holiday where people light off fireworks.

If ignorance is bliss, then you must be orgasmic.
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 4, 2006 17:58
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Ugh... the fireworks. I pass two small li'l shops on my drive home from work. Monday, both were jam packed with cars spilling out of their lots.

Last night, there was just tons of blasting. This night, I suspect it to worsen ten fold. Ugh... I'm not gonna be sleeping tonight D'oh

Er, ... go America? * fabricates a MiniAmericanFlag to show his patriotism *

"You didn't drink and drive, but you were drunk and making out with the guy driving the car. That's just as bad, there's just no mothers against it yet."
  - Sean Finnerty, Grounded for Life
Sword
Battalon127

Member #25

Jul 4, 2006 20:47
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Patriotism, eh? I'll take that! * uses Steal on MadGoblin's MiniAmericanFlag *
  I, for one, have begun a pointless ID4 tradition that will hopefully last me many years- wearing my "Long Live Rock" The Who shirt, the one that's printed to resemble the Union Jack. I suppose its sort of a private mockery of all of the misguided people who wear American Flag print shirts. Don't they realize that's a violation of the flag code? They think they're supporting our country but they're actually disgracing it. Heh.

Oh yeah, and for the first year since I became able to, I have spent no money on fireworks. Mostly because if I want to blow things up, there are more powerful (and far less legal) things I can get ahold of to do it with.

The internet is like a banana tree. With all the monkeys attracted to it, eventually one of 'em will start throwing poo.
Sword
boyachi

Member #92

Jul 5, 2006 24:26
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I didn't get fireworks this year either strangely enough, and considering my need to set things on fire, thats really weird. As for people calling it independence day, not only did that name go out when the movie slipped from mainstream, but also we ALL KNOW that would be hurting British people's feelings.

So, lightning+fireworks=awesome visual display. Yes my fireworks were almost rained out TWICE. I called it too, but I got the lightning so, its not a total loss of being wrong.

"My side is dead, my beliefs have been forgotten, my youth has left me and my innocence was slaughtered infront my eyes. Why should I care when it is only my life on the line?" - Neverdais
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Jul 5, 2006 24:40

I don't really get fireworks or any of that. For me, 7/4 is just another day on the calendar. However, I do keep in mind that it's Independence Day, and usually say "Happy Independence Day" to preserve the meaning.

As for Brits being upset, I wouldn't think so...because one of my British online friends IM'd me saying "happy Independence Day". It's just the unintelligent/idiotic population that hasn't gotten over something that occurred over two and a quarter centuries ago.

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  "We're making the right decisions to bring the solution to an end." -President Dubya

SailorSassyStar

Member #19

Jul 6, 2006 13:58
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Mmmm! Nothing like strawberries and blueberries on a whipped creame covered pound cake to make you think of your nation. Lick

If I'm not terribly mistaken, the real idependence day isn't until Septemper 17. Sounds like time for the resident nerds of RE to come and make clarification.
Battalon127

Member #25

Jul 6, 2006 23:30

The Treaty of Paris was signed on September 3, 1783 and marked the formal recognition of the United States as a nation by Great Britain (and it did a bunch of other cool stuff too!) However the American holiday, Independence Day celebrates, not the formal recognition by Britain, which was nice and all, but the formal declaration of independence by the United States, which was brought about by the signing of the Declaration of Independence (betcha didn't see that one coming didja? ) on July 4, 1776. As far as we were concerned, America was it's own country at that point, screw what everyone else thought. And what'd'ya know? That policy is still guiding our viewpoints to this day!

The internet is like a banana tree. With all the monkeys attracted to it, eventually one of 'em will start throwing poo. Enough with the damn monkeys! I've got eight other sigs to choose from, Ghost-Who-Really-Controls-This-Forum, so use 'em!

[Edited by Battalon127 on Jul 6, 2006 23:32]
boyachi

Member #92

Jul 11, 2006 16:40

woah and here I thought the cut off was 3! SWEET!

Boyachi -- Still an Idiot
Battalon127

Member #25

Jul 11, 2006 19:36

Hmm, I didn't realize there was a cut-off. Crazy search skills to the rescue!
  On Oct 14, 2004 18:52, MintMan said:

I am unhappy with the current system, however. Ten max is no way to go. I should set up individual files for blokes/members with an entirely dynamic size based on your rank.

So, that was almost two years ago, is the limit still 10, then?

Casual gaming is a disease.
MintMan

Member #1

Jul 11, 2006 22:06

So far as I know, the limit is still ten (less for newbies). Then again, I prolly cannot even name ten people that I know are using the multiple signature capabilities, since, y'know, other sites don't have it... so it scares people into non-use.

There was a story called "Phalanx Limit?" No way!
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 19, 2024 14:28 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022