Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 19, 2024 14:46 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: At the stroke of midnight

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Afiag

Member #242

Jun 30, 2006 11:31
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Freaks and gentlemen: tonight, about 12 hours and 30 minutes from the point this post is made, a counter will finally reach zero.
  This counter can be found on the front page of www.eon8.com.

Now for those of you unfamiliar with this site, can it and don't ask about it, go have a look for yourselves instead.

Some people decide that it's some mass cyber terrorism sort of thing. Some have more vivid imaginations and think it's probably the end of the world. Others conclude that it's a hoax.

Just for the fun of it; what do you lot think?

Ideas are like pants. You use them proudly untill you realize that they're not yours.

EDIT: You missed a quote and really buggered things up in your anchor tag.

[Edited by MintMan on Jun 30, 2006 11:49]
animewatcher

Member #258

Jun 30, 2006 13:18
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hoax... Totally a hoax Slanted Mouth

If somehow it is real though, and RE is going to be checked like that and possibly hacked/deleted/messed with in some unpleasant way, I'm sure Mint will find you and beat you to a bloody pulp cuz of this lol.

Still, I say it's a total hoax. Sweat Drop It probably just some coding to take your last website viewed and copy the url, posting it about it going through a check now. The timer is just that- a timer. Just to see how many people will freak out over it.
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 30, 2006 13:36
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

For one thing, it completely and utterly fails under Mozilla. That right away tells you it was made by an idiot and not a nerd; all true nerds <3 W3C.

Wiki to the rescue.

I am pullin' with the promotional stunt. The site has absolutely no content or worth whatsoever from what I can tell save to make people say "What is the purpose of this site omg?" and get them to be there when the countdown strikes.
  Big friggin' whoop.
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jun 30, 2006 14:10
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I know this: when the counter reaches 0:00:00, everyone will feel like an idiot for wasting their time!

"I'm going to special hell."
  - Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly
Afiag

Member #242

Jun 30, 2006 14:46

That's weird, I'm using Mozilla and it's working just fine.

Anyhow, it probably is a hoax. But just in case something fantastic or chaotic happens, I'm going to watch it hit zero. Mostly because I have nothing better to do.

Ideas are like pants. You use them proudly untill you realize that they're not yours.

[Edited by Afiag on Jun 30, 2006 14:49]
Battalon127

Member #25

Jun 30, 2006 23:42
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Huh, I haven't been able to access the site all afternoon. Not that I care, just interesting.

The internet is like a banana tree. With all the monkeys attracted to it, eventually one of 'em will start throwing poo.
animewatcher

Member #258

Jul 1, 2006 24:18

Hmmm that's odd. I too am now having trouble accessing it. Worked fine earlier this morning
  Edit: Ah now I see why. I checked out the Wiki page. I'm amazed at how in depth the makers created that site, and how intense people got into it- decrypting codes and finding references to things. Very nice indeed- was wonderful to read all that info Big Smile

[Edited by animewatcher on Jul 1, 2006 24:29]
Afiag

Member #242

Jul 1, 2006 14:41

Well, upon visiting the site now, after the timer hit bottom, I find that there is an explanation now.

It was not a hoax, persay, but an experiment.
  Have a look.

boyachi

Member #92

Jul 3, 2006 1:10

Yea, it was fun to run around that, I figured that it would have a more positive effect than scientology or terrorism. Some of the explanations were hilarious: "I searched for the address of where the site was hosted and I found lots and lots of results, but one was funding terrorists, and therefore that must be THE SAME TRUE address of Eon8"
  I also liked the random finger pointed at scientology.
  Me, being a geek thought of the Neo anagram and got ONE out of it, and then thinking Live8 put those two together to find a soothing image of the timer going off with peace and holding hands and singing while everyone eating healthy foods. Ok, definitely not to that extent.
  I'm just curious if there is anyone out there that thought it was terrorism or something more weird or worse.

"My side is dead, my beliefs have been forgotten, my youth has left me and my innocence was slaughtered infront my eyes. Why should I care when it is only my life on the line?" - Neverdais
Battalon127

Member #25

Jul 3, 2006 11:49
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I just figured it was some bored webgeek, just trying to mess with people's heads. In other words, pretty much what it was.

The internet is like a banana tree. With all the monkeys attracted to it, eventually one of 'em will start throwing poo.
animewatcher

Member #258

Jul 4, 2006 24:29

Yea, I'm pretty much with Batt lol.

Except I thought it might be several people. Bored webgeeks normally just hack something and put little ducks and bombs around the page.

Still it was cool ta see how much thought people put into trying to solve it, as well as what the actual site was about (and how the experiment was a complete success lol).

You don't really see many oddities like this that make news. The fun ones or the "experiments" are the best Big Smile
boyachi

Member #92

Jul 4, 2006 17:35

It was actually on the news? Wow. I heard that someone contacted CNN but didn't think they'd get air time unless $#!+ hit the fan.

The New Dawn has risen. Are you the one to unlock it?
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 19, 2024 14:46 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022