Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 28, 2024 12:05 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Wii haven't talked about it yet?

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
boyachi

Member #92

May 12, 2006 2:16
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

How could we not have brought up the topic of the Nintendo Wii?

The New Dawn has risen. Are you the one to unlock it?
MadGoblin

Member #2

May 12, 2006 6:28
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Because of you!

That, or no one is pumped about it. While I care, I know I'm not gonna buy it for the longest time. This latest wave of video game cosoles is gonna be my catch-up time to get all those games I wanted but never got. Heck, I may even pick up a Cube or 64 now that they'll be even cheaper!

Anyhoo, back to Wii. I definately feel it has the edge on the whole next-gen market. Instead of saying, "Look, we have slightly better graphics than the already near-top graphics of the last gen systems?" Wavey Mouth they are saying, "Look, stuff that actually gives you a reason to buy this thing: innovation!"

Low power drain 24 net hook up, a controller that allows you to shoot your guns in-game gangsta style, and a library with access to Turbo Graphix games? Yeah, just the latter had me sold. ... when I buy up to that level, that is Shifty Eyes

"I'm going to special hell."
  - Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly
Pikang

Member #230

May 12, 2006 9:35
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Speaking of Wii, has anyone BESIDES me heard about the new Super Smash Bros. Brawl characters? I have, and I'm hyped!

I can't wait for:
  Pit (Kid Icarus)
  Wario(Do I really need to tell you the series?)
  Meta-Knight(Kirby Series)
  Zero-Suit Samus(Metroid Series)
  Snake(Metal Gear series)

The Smash Emblem item looks absolutely awesome, especially when Kirby picks up one(he dons a chef's hat and cooks his foes!). But not even THAT compares to Wario's Atomic Pass-Gas ability!

I've heard and seen that there will be an item in there that corresponds to Nintendogs...wonder what the puppy does...

His friggin' name is Junk Man, do you really need a description? He might as well been named Heaping Pile of S*** Man.

-Syd Lexia, on Mega Man 7's Robot Masters
MintMan

Member #1

May 12, 2006 10:51

Yes, we've all heard about the new characters. You can't walk three feet on the internet without someone bombarding you with that video showcasing them all.

Cube was technically the best in the old lot (as far as the system went); it just didn't have any games. The Wii is looking a lot better for this market thanks to all its wackinesses. Plus that whole game classic library makes it worth buyin' by itself.

It is going to be down to PS3 and Wii this generation; does anyone even talk about the 360 anymore? Did that thing flop hardcore or what?
  Forget about that noise anyway. Wii is where its at. Super Mario Galaxy anyone Big Smile Gee, did it take them that long to figure out that making another regular Mario game would be a good idea?

Also, I think we did discuss the Wii before, but it was a combination topic about all of the third gen systems. I seem to recall some forum morons griping about the Revolution's controller.
TheFireToad

Member #244

May 12, 2006 13:04
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I read that Super Smash Bros. Brawl is going to be compadible with the GCN controller. I'm really exited to see what other characters they make. I'm hoping to see most of the SSBM cast. I'd also like to see Toad. He's my favorite character. I'm also pretty interested in which Pokemon they're going to create for the Pokeball item.

In this world there are things that people mustn't touch. Who cares!

-Kalas (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)

[Edited by TheFireToad on May 12, 2006 13:05]
Pikang

Member #230

May 12, 2006 13:10

Actualy, I think that a good Pokemon to put in a Pokeball would be either Misdreavus or Haunter...or Beedrill...I dunno...I'm thinking that Mega Man or Rayman would make good playable characters.

[Edited by Pikang on May 12, 2006 13:12]
TheFireToad

Member #244

May 12, 2006 13:33
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hmm, I think a ghost Pokemon would be cool. Lots of potential. Like a possible Pain Split attack. They're definitely gonna have Goldeen, Clefairy, and Charizard.

As far as other characters are concerned, I think they may add a few 3rd party characters, but I don't like the idea of MegaMan. He'd be way too similar to Samus (who I like better).

In this world there are things that people mustn't touch. Who cares!

-Kalas (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

May 12, 2006 18:51
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

My take on it is that I don't particularly like the name, but that is of utterly no consequence in the long run. The blandest names sometimes are the most popular, since gameplay is what matters.

The Wii controller is excellent for Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess because of the aiming and all that fun stuff. Super Mario Galaxy looks quite interesting with the new control system as well...as for SSBB, is the Nintendog an item? I've had a friend complain about the fact that it's an actual character...but Meta Knight is still awesome.

All in all, 360 theoretically seems to be way out of the competition. Unfortunately, there is still the class of "gamers" who go for the mass-produced sports/street-shooter game, whose utter uselessness and blandness gains popularity. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing wrong about these games, but when people say that they're a true gamer because they've played all the GTAs, True Crime, and sports games, I begin to question the validity of the statement.

* uses Fortunaire to avoid flaming anger from the constructed response *

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  "Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win." -Gaspar

Sword
Pikang

Member #230

May 13, 2006 10:51

On May 12, 2006 18:51, LieutenantEagle said:

My take on it is that I don't particularly like the name, but that is of utterly no consequence in the long run. The blandest names sometimes are the most popular, since gameplay is what matters.

The Wii controller is excellent for Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess because of the aiming and all that fun stuff. Super Mario Galaxy looks quite interesting with the new control system as well...as for SSBB, is the Nintendog an item? I've had a friend complain about the fact that it's an actual character...but Meta Knight is still awesome.

All in all, 360 theoretically seems to be way out of the competition. Unfortunately, there is still the class of "gamers" who go for the mass-produced sports/street-shooter game, whose utter uselessness and blandness gains popularity. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing wrong about these games, but when people say that they're a true gamer because they've played all the GTAs, True Crime, and sports games, I begin to question the validity of the statement.

* uses Fortunaire to avoid flaming anger from the constructed response *

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  "Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win." -Gaspar

I'm with you on the name issue-it IS kinda bland, but the gameplay will be sweet action. And as for Meta-Knight, I'm looking forward to seeing Kirby's brother, but I like Pit more, mainly because I OWN Kid Icarus...two copies to be exact.

About the Nintendogs item...recently, I found out that when used, a Nintendogs puppy appears in front of the screen and plays with it, blocking your view of the action (Think of Togepi's Night Shade ability from Melee.)

And as for those gamers who think that sports and shooters are da bomb, let me say that, although some aren't entirely bad (Like Mario Golf and Doom), there are some rather...questionable games out there, like True Crime, which CAN, BUT NOT NECESSARILY make you think that violence IS the answer...

His friggin' name is Junk Man, do you really need a description? He might as well been named Heaping Pile of S*** Man.

boyachi

Member #92

May 14, 2006 2:46

I thought that Super Smash would be the only reason for me to be interested in nintendo as the seemingly made their controllers worse (I hated gamecube's and I hate using remote controls and the fact that this looks like one doesn't help) and chose a stupid name.
  Then yes, as gobbo pointed out, Red Steel came in. For the first time since I got my PSX, I have to say that I'm leaning toward getting the newest nintendo system first.

Now, as for Wii the name, I started thinking about how it sounded like we, like society. *sends out a burst of stars* Think of this: Mario Society. Bowser believes that the reason that Mario always saves the princess is for the good of the kingdom, and we ALLLLLLLL KNOW THATS THE REAAAAAL REASON... but anyway he sends Kamek (his magician) over to hypnotize the princess turning her rule into a totalitarianistic iron fist. She starts enforcing strict laws against the mushroom people and this time its actually up to Mario to save mushroom kingdom...from the princess.
  You'd start the game with little, since you'd get your power ups from splinter factions. Ever wonder how the kindgom defends itself from being completely taken over while mario is out saving the princess? This would be when you find out the warmachines used because you will fight them.
  Yes it is because of this train of thought that I am no longer disturbed by the name "Wii." Though the dirty jokes are far from over.

"oh and before i devour you 2 ill tell you my name is Valkyor." - My Kamaitachi
MadGoblin

Member #2

May 14, 2006 7:59

I don't see why everyone puts such a damn complaint on the name of the thing. That is the least influential part of the system, and Nintendo already fully explained why they chose it.

No abbreviations. No nick names. No anything. It's one bleeding syllable and is short to spell out full. Granted, it probably doesn't invoke images of urination in Japan, but, hey, that's our countries sick problems.

"I'm going to special hell."
  - Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly
MintMan

Member #1

May 14, 2006 9:49

Yes, Wii is a stupid name. Not like X-Box. It's a frickin' box with a big X on that. That's sure doesn't suck.
  Or how about Playstation. Yup, nothing is gayer than the name Playstation. It is a station for playing, get it? And it gets abbreviated PSX for absolutely no good reason. Prolly 'cause "PS" is what you end letters with...

And finally, you save the princess every game because she is the only one who has the power to break King Koopa's curse over the Mushroom Kingdom.
  That, and M-man is hittin' that.
Cheetarius

Member #10

May 14, 2006 18:35
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On May 14, 2006 9:49, MintMan said:

That, and M-man is hittin' that.

I find that to be in incredibly bad taste, as well as quite shocking. But we all know it's true!

Anyways, I dunno - the name sounds ridiculous, but if you think about it, a lot of the stuff that people like sounds ridiculous. Hell, just try explaining to some of your friends "Battling Dragons" (please don't stab me, Mint). But yea - the name doesn't always indicate the quality.

That last sentence looks messed up to me, but at least it makes sense. Kinda. Yea. ...

- Cheetarius, Spamming The Known Universe...
boyachi

Member #92

May 14, 2006 19:23

What like Battling Dragons Sanctioned Monsters?
  Wii here at RE never thing of things that way...*thinks back to Nidhogg Dance Revolution* Ok, we do.
  But I will say that the sheer sound of "nunchuk controllers" opens up a primative joy that was born around the day that I was four and first learned about ninjas. I mean the sword and chainsaw controllers supposedly didn't work too well, so really, nunchucks got to! Think of the fancy stuff that you can pull of with them just by messing around with no training! *kills someone by swinging around a Steel Battalion "Control Station"*
  My obvious question will be, can you hook your gameboy up to the system like every console aside from the original and 64...and virtual boy...because I know few people even thought of that.

The New Dawn has risen. Are you the one to unlock it?
Battalon127

Member #25

May 15, 2006 11:36
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I would be incredibly surprised if there were no DSArrowRev/Wii connection. Some people have even theorized the totally awesome concept of using the Wii's Online Downloading function to download demos of DS games to then put on through Download Play. That would really be a great move on Nintendo's part because, I know at least personally, a good review of a game does not sway me to actually buying it, or avoiding it like poision, nearly as much as personal playing experience. Example- Guitar Hero. Despite the awesome reviews I heard, I never even considered wanting it until I tried it at Best Buy.
  [Edit- Wait, "every console aside from the original and 64?" That's, like, half of their consoles. The only ones they did include connectivity for were SNES and GameCube. That's less then half if you count the damn VirtualBoy. Stupid Nintendo failure that could have been awesome...]

As for the name, I find myself still calling it the Revolution most of the time, not because hearing Wii invokes in me an urge to search for a clean pair of underpants, but because Revolution = Nintendo for so long, that it's become force of habit. What will probably end up happening is I will refer to it in general conversation as both Rev and Wii interchangably, while using certain Wii related terms, such as Wii-mote. It really doesn't matter, as I plan on sticking it with classic NES stickers I got from Nintendo Power, to match my Game Boy DS.

Sometimes we are responsible for more than we bargain for. In a split second the entire tide of history can be changed. But is an ideal worth fighting for when you don’t know what you believe? Can the impact of a single person truly contribute to the Greater Good? Is a human life the fair price for one man’s idea of justice? The questions never end, the answers always out of reach.

[Edited by Battalon127 on May 15, 2006 11:40]
Pikang

Member #230

May 15, 2006 19:18

This is Nintendo-related, but totally off-topic...

Gobbs, you never told me you had artwork on Kirby's Rainbow Resort...

End rant about pointless comment..

(Well, it KINDA relates to my talk about the SSBB characters, since Meta-Knight is Kirby's brother...)

MadGoblin

Member #2

May 15, 2006 22:03

Metaknight is not Kirby's brother. MK's origin is never explained over the fact that he is a Dreamlander with Kirby's same guise but with different colors. That could be a clone, an copy, a reflection, anything, but it is never stated in any Kirby game. That is solely speculation.

Now, back to topic: Yes, BD has a funny name. It was originally to be "Dragon Battles", if I recall, but then the initials would have been "DB", which are the same as the then popular Dragon Ball.

"I've dated one Asian girl, she was very Asian. She was a panda." -Jim Gaffigan
MintMan

Member #1

May 15, 2006 22:16

What? Stupid Gobbo. How dare you steal my angry Meta-Knight babble! I would have done a simul-post if I hadn't had to go to my tech-list to see what I needed to combine away. A pox on ye! * uses LandSmite on MadGoblin for saying things * Oh well, here it is anyway in its entirity.

Alright, dude, first time was look-overable, but enough is enough. Stop saying Meta-Knight is Kirby's brother. He ain't. There has never been so much as a hint toward this in any of the games. Far as I know, the neither the cartoon nor the comics have clued it in.

Meta-Knight is a Dreamlander. That's it. That doesn't mean he and Kirby are related. They look alike; so what? All Dreamlanders have the same amorphous, flipper-blob shape. That whole brother thing is limited to crappy fanfics.

Now, as for BD, what the crap? I'd LandSmite ya again if I could, Gobbs. Dragon Battles? No way! It was never supposed to be called that! The original name was Battling Dragons ever since the summer of '99. The game stayed the R.E. Adoption Center for years to come, but it was always secretly Battling Dragons.

I've never seen a problem with the name. It isn't like Shadow Aura: Collections. (Summon ultimate chaos! Battle all light! Man, did we have some larfs over that one...) The letters "BD" have much less stigma to them than "SM," and I feel they are powerless without 'em.

Anywhozzle, don't see how BD has a bad name. It is just what it is: dragons that battle. Well, it originally was just a dragon... and it is still the most popular monster, so the name still works.
  I think trying to explain the game to people is the hard part, not the name. Hel, even veterans have trouble trying to understand that there is black and white magical damage in the game. It is really hilarious trying to see someone grasp it in person... 'cause they don't read.
Sword
Cheetarius

Member #10

May 16, 2006 20:05
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hehe, I would at this point poke some fun at you for not reading, since you were just complaining about other people not reading, but I went back and looked at my post, and it does seem rather vague...

But, yea - I did indeed mean trying to explain it to people, and intended to make no slight against the game or its moniker.

Anyways, keeping on topic here - the "Wii" seems to be overcoming the stigma of its name - people are saying no matter what it's called, they'll likely buy it before/over the PS3, because of price and the games available. I personally am looking forward to the SSMB, MP3, and FF games - I guess I'm a bit predictable.

And, also - "The Darkness"? Anyone know what that game is about? The reason it caught my eye is because that's also the band that did the song "I Believe In A Thing Called Love", which is truly hilarious (it was in Bridget Jones' Diary, either 1 or 2, in the fight scene between Hugh Grant and Colin Firth).

The list of games I'm looking at is in this article at Joystiq.

- Cheetarius, Lurking On A Website Near You...
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Mar 28, 2024 12:05 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022