Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 24, 2024 3:33 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: FFVII

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Battalon127

Member #25

Apr 27, 2006 24:38
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

So a couple of friends and I journeyed to GameStop to get our reserves of Final Fantasy VII:Advent Children today. I tried to remain impartial before watching, as I knew it couldn't possibly live up to the hype, nothing can, but I found my anticipation growing on the hour long trip home. As soon as we got home, we popped it in. My decision? 8.5/10 on the Battalon scale (aka off the top of my head). I felt the story was somewhat lacking (for an RPG based movie) but as it is only 101 minutes, that is somewhat understandable. The big selling point of this movie from the start has been the graphics, and they were great. If you ignore everything you know about the fact that they are CGI, there are times when you can almost fool yourself into thinking you are watching a live shot. The music, of course, is top notch. I always liked the soundtrack to FFVII, and the movie uses quite a few pieces from the game. The DVD did seem to freeze and jump occasionally, but that could have been hardware specific, or something specific to the individual disk. Even if it is just glitch, it wasn't anything serious and easily forgivable.

So why am I telling you all this? Well, I know this movie was talked about a bit here, way back when it was first news and, quite frankly, there are people here whose opinions I actually value, as they are formed intelligently and usually well backed up. And with so many people out there who are either brainless fanboys (OMG FF7 r0XX0rs cloudismyhero!!!1!!1!!) or bitter anti-PSFF jerks (FFVII sucks because it's too popular/too new/not FFVI) I hope to spark some rational objective dialogue. So anyone else here have it/plan to get it, and if so what did you think? Or if anyone's considering it, I may be able to help you decide if it's worth your money (since it's not for everyone).

--->Your ad here<---

[Edited by Battalon127 on Apr 27, 2006 24:39]
Cheetarius

Member #10

Apr 27, 2006 2:53
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

To be honest, I never really paid much attention to FFVII when it was running around. I played it a bit at a friend's house, but I didn't own it, so I never finished it - I don't really know the story. One of the things I want to do before I even think about seeing this is to actually finish the game. It'll happen eventually... yeah, I'm definitely not fooling myself.

*runs out to buy movie*

- Cheetarius - "...and don't spread this around, but I was thinking that if we got up there, we would outnumber the regular crew, so we could wait until the last day, then overpower them, and take the thing on a joyride around the moon or something."
Afiag

Member #242

Apr 27, 2006 6:02
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

8.5!? Maybe 11 out of 10.
  And Cheetarius hasn't played throught the game even once?!
  What is wrong with you lot? This is a bit depressing.
  Ugh...

Advent Children is awesome.
  And that's that.
  The only things I wish were diferent about the movie are that they ought to have made it longer, and they could've made the fight scene with Sephiroth a little more drawn out.

And Cheet, if you get the DVD then there is a feature called 'Reminiscence' which is pretty much a plot guide for FFVII with scenes from the game and everything. Tis mostly for posers or people with bad memory.

Ideas are like pants. You use them proudly untill you realize that they're not yours.

TheFireToad

Member #244

Apr 27, 2006 6:52
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hmmm... I've always wanted to play FFVII. People say it was the best one in the series. I love a good RPG and I also heard that its plotline is excellent.

This Advent Children thing. It's a movie right? I don't plan on seeing it until I play FFVII.

In this world there are things that people mustn't touch. Who cares!

-Kalas (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)
MadGoblin

Member #2

Apr 27, 2006 7:31
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Intellectu-what type of debate was this suppose to be, Afiag? Tongue

I'd like to point out here that I like the way TFT went about this situation more than Afiag. There's no cruel intent meant, just... well, how things are.

Afiag was about seven when FFVII came out, same with Fire Toad. Both merely children. One sweats it, the other never really heard of it. I give a thumbs up to Fire Toad, as the case is more appropriate.

The only people who should really be all "WTFOMGBBQPBM!!11" about AC are the people who could have adored it for all its existance. I mean, I don't care how mature you are, I don't see a child (an American, at least) really getting into that game or storyline.

I haven't seen it and, hell, probably won't purchase/rent it for a while as I'm cheap and lazy. I've heard plenty of mixed reviews about it, all basically saying, "Yes, it looks cool and is action packed. Story-wise... eeeeh." I will probably enjoy it but won't get crazy obsessive with it. I'll save that for FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus Nervous

... Shifty Eyes Nanaki and Cait Sith 4evar!

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
  - Wash, Serenity
Afiag

Member #242

Apr 27, 2006 14:22
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah.. Sorry.
  Well, I won't say I played it since it came out or whatever. I think I first played it through when I was about 10-ish. I liked it, and it later turned into a slight obsession with the entire Final Fantasy series.

I can't do with any degrading of FFVII (Game or movie) so...
  *Slowly backs out of the forum topic*

Ideas are like pants. You use them proudly untill you realize that they're not yours.

[Edited by Afiag on Apr 27, 2006 14:24]
TheFireToad

Member #244

Apr 27, 2006 14:50
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I was young when FFVII came out, but still experienced. When I was three, I was playing FFI until my NES broke down. I also played Chrono Trigger a lot, which is still one of, if not my favorite game so far. There's also the fact that I never had a Playstation, which could explain why I never played FFVII yet.

In this world there are things that people mustn't touch. Who cares!

-Kalas (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean)
Battalon127

Member #25

Apr 27, 2006 15:04
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Like Gobbes said, I, too, have seen the people who obsess over Final Fantasy VII as those who have cherished it since its premier. Myself, I was never rich enough as a child to enjoy a PlayStation. Gameboys and fan-translated SNES ROMS (I know, I was a bad boy ) were my only sources of gaming, and I scrimped and saved for months (including Birthday and christmas money) for the Gameboys. Thusly, my first Final Fantasy was V (before the PS release, when the ROM was the only American option), and my favorite, like many veterans is VI. However, as soon as I bought a PlayStation (last summer, for $5) I picked up a brand new copy of FFVII from Target, as it was somehow still on shelves and I did enjoy it immensely, especially the music. Frankly even more than the movie itself I'd recommend the soundtrack, if it ever makes it stateside.
  Anyway, I think this shows how my lack of fanboyish love for the game enabled me to resist giving the movie a ridiculous score that destroys the very scale it is set upon. As for not having seen the game, there were people who watched the movie with us who had never fully played the game (and don't even like RPGs at all) who still enjoyed it, although having thoroughly played through the game helps you appreciate what story exists better. Quite a bit better, I'd imagine. Just don't buy the UMD at GameStop. It costs more for less content, which is like paying more for a tangerine than an orange. Or something like that.

If what I said doesn't make sense, just take out the words and replace them with different ones.
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 27, 2006 15:12
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Chrono Trigger is much more deserving of a best-game status than FFVII ever will be. FFVII was awesome, don't get me wrong. It was one of the best storylines of all time.
  As a game, however, 'tis an entirely different story.

FFVII had cutting-edge graphics at its time. It had animesque graphics, which was a very large part in getting the look over with nerds in general. (Back then, "those big eyes look stupid" was a common argument against why people hated anime. Now, that argument could simply be summed up "It sucks!")
  FFVII has haters. Some cite the extremely poor translation (e.g. Pale Horse). Some cite its now incredibly blocky graphics.

The reason FFVII is not a good RPG is very simple, however: it was extremely easy.

Before FFVII, no RPG was easy. Ever. They were hard. You would die... a lot. FFVII can be beaten without getting materia, without leveling up, and in a matter of days, of all things. FFI? It takes forever just for the game to begin. That's how RPGs are supposed to be.

Even worse, FFVII started a terrible, terrible trend for RPGs. Every Final Fantasy since has also been incredibly easy. Most other RPGs have followed suit. Other genres varied in difficulty, but RPGs were for those who loved playing games. Now, it for those who love playing games, but don't want to spend a lot of time or thought doing it. Feh.

So does Advent Children suck? Can't say 'til I see it. I must say that with the way Square(-Enix) has been rolling recently, it won't come close to FFVII. It is as though they don't quite know what made Seven so popular, and they are trying to recreate it, making generally good games but falling far from the mark each time.
  They should just concentrate on the actual game more than the storyline. That's what books and movies are for. Games is for playin'.
boyachi

Member #92

Apr 29, 2006 1:45

I gotta say, that if you are going to attempt an indepth storyline, its gotta work. I mean, we can all think of things that we've watched with attempted storylines that have almost ruined the movie...
  Thats right, martial arts films.

As for strategy, FFX did a good job of that in the beginning but once we hit the 99th hour, it stopped making a difference. Ok I do have to say that using Aeon overdrives to win every boss battle they were available turned out to be a very excellent strategy indeed...

As for advent children, I would be one of the countless college age students wishing to become Cloud's apprentice while even more would be worshipping his greatness, if he existed in real life. This is not a blind following, but one of respect as well as common sense, since Sephiroth would kill all of his fans. But I do have to say Tifa looks better in realer life than I thought she would. Just to be curious what is the cut off point for spoilers? is 9 years enough?

"My side is dead, my beliefs have been forgotten, my youth has left me and my innocence was slaughtered infront my eyes. Why should I care when it is only my life on the line?" - Neverdais
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Apr 30, 2006 19:04

Let's see...although I've heard lots about FFVII and Advent Children, I've never played the game nor have I seen the movie. The only actual knowledge of the game I have is from this video, as well as one clip from Advent Children which showed good graphics (but for me nearly all 3D graphics are considered "good".

Do you think that 'twould be fair for me to rate the movie if I just go out and get it? Or should I find FFVII first, play it through, then go on to see Advent Children?

* uses Fortunaire to hopefully see Advent Children sometime soon *

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  "And one of the things we've got to make sure that we do is anything. -President Dubya

Sword
Battalon127

Member #25

May 1, 2006 13:58

I would actually not mind hearing what someone not familiar with the story thought of the movie. It recaps FFVII at the beginning so you shouldn't get too lost. It's mostly action, so I say check it out.

Sometimes we are responsible for more than we bargain for. In a split second the entire tide of history can be changed. But is an ideal worth fighting for when you don’t know what you believe? Can the impact of a single person truly contribute to the Greater Good? Is a human life the fair price for one man’s idea of justice? The questions never end, the answers always out of reach.
boyachi

Member #92

May 4, 2006 18:32

wait... people that haven't played the game saw the movie?

The New Dawn has risen. Are you the one to unlock it?
Cheetarius

Member #10

May 5, 2006 24:51
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, I can understand that - odds are they're just curious, or they think "ooh, hey, FF! I've played some of those!" and go see it anyway. I'm probably approaching the point where this mindset is attractive to me, because the friend whose place I first played it at (God alone knows how long ago!) now also has the movie, and considering the way he usually talks, I fear to go near him b/c of spoilers... curses.

I'll have to sneak in in the middle of the night and steal it... you know, some kinda ninja strike... yea...

- Cheetarius, Spamming The Known Universe...
Battalon127

Member #25

May 5, 2006 11:32

(Note: the aside smiley is not a reflection of this post, but rather one of the poster's annoyance with his VB class project that he is supposed to be working on at this very moment.)
  ........oh right, Advent Children. The movie really stands by itself. Sure you'll probably get more out of it if you have enjoyed the game, but one does not need a lot of background information to enjoy the beautiful graphics and awesome battles. But if you really want to know more, and I mean a LOT more, there is a humongous FAQ at IGN somewhere that analyzes both the movie and the original game and answers a lot of questions. I skimmed over it the other day. Just skimming took an hour!

Sometimes we are responsible for more than we bargain for. In a split second the entire tide of history can be changed. But is an ideal worth fighting for when you don’t know what you believe? Can the impact of a single person truly contribute to the Greater Good? Is a human life the fair price for one man’s idea of justice? The questions never end, the answers always out of reach.
Rook

Member #112

May 5, 2006 15:30
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I'm just gonna wait until I can get it off Kazaa, since I'm too much of a bum to go out and buy it. Oh look! I found something that has "Final Fantasy Advent Children" in the title! It's too small to be the movie, but it's something!

EDIT: It's a subbed Japanese trailer. Still cool, tho'.

This is what I call an 'Oh s***!' moment.

[Edited by Rook on May 5, 2006 15:32]
MintMan

Member #1

May 5, 2006 18:24

Dude, are you just lookin' for a reason for me to ban and murder you, you idiot-homo-thief? * uses LandSmite on Rook with much retribution *

Stealing = Bad

If you were actually worth enough to society to contribute a written, audio, or visual work, I'm sure you'd be mad as Hel if people completely bypassed your wishes for it and took it without your consent.
  I know I was and continue to be.
Sword
boyachi

Member #92

May 9, 2006 16:48

How can you not love Cloud and Sephiroth enough to pay $20 for the movie ( I got mine with a $5 rebate)?
  Anyway, the top ten reasons Advent Children was all CG
  10. There were no acceptable actors open especially for tifa. Angelina Jolie was out helping poor kids, Alica Sliverstone wasn't athletic enough, and Richard Simmons, for starters, isn't female
  9. Not another Anime
  8. With all the stunts on the bikes, it was too costly to constantly change out the tires and transmission after every shoot.
  7. They couldn't get a Highwind to rent until a two years after the projected release date.
  6. Do you know how hard it is to find that many child stunt doubles?
  5. The cost of building a building only to destroy it and only have one shot at the entire battle scene wasn't recommended
  4. The director has horrible flower allergies and could go no where near the church set.
  3. Having Cait Sith be an actual puppet would have been too lame.
  2. Even now there are scientists and make up artists working around the clock to make the perfect "Cloud's hair" wig, they started back in 1995 with little results to this day.
  1. Money can't buy summon materia, its that hard to find. You'll notice that they had to hire bahumut zero's distant cousin, Sin Bahamut for the dragon's role in the movie.

"My side is dead, my beliefs have been forgotten, my youth has left me and my innocence was slaughtered infront my eyes. Why should I care when it is only my life on the line?" - Neverdais
Battalon127

Member #25

May 10, 2006 15:03

Cait Sith couldn't possibly get lamer. I honestly can't say if I like him better with or without his doll. I don't think it makes a difference. Hell, <FFVII spoilers- if you'd actually get offended by finding out a minor plot point from a nine year old game, stop reading now> I almost wish he would have stayed dead when he sacrificed himself for the black materia. I never EVER used him. Oh, and Aeris dies!!!</spoilers>

A Elbereth Gilthoniel o menel palan-diriel, le nallon
sí di-nguruthos! A tiro nin, Fanuilos!

[Edited by Battalon127 on May 10, 2006 15:07]

[Edited by Battalon127 on May 10, 2006 15:08]
boyachi

Member #92

May 10, 2006 18:07

Ok just to be curious, has anyone ever looked into the themes and symbolism of FFVII?
  I've seen more than enough but I can't figure out why they had Rufus with a sheet over his head.
  Oh hey, did anyone notice that the trailer with the fire attack that launched cloud's bike into the air so that he came down to lock swords with that one guy, as well as the battle on the beach looking area, was SO NOT IN THE MOVIE? Also was meteorain ever pulled off? I didn't catch it. I took me a while to find finishing touch, but I believe aside from meteorain and cherry blossom (tactics) cloud used all his limit breaks with some minor variation.
  Anyone want to get into the talk about "the one winged angel?"

"oh and before i devour you 2 ill tell you my name is Valkyor." - My Kamaitachi
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Apr 24, 2024 3:33 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022