Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 28, 2024 17:37 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Back at the days of SR&R

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
boyachi

Member #92

Mar 5, 2006 15:40
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

So I was cleaning out my drawers this week and found countless papers and other things that I was deciding what to keep and what to throw out. Among them were two SR&R (Students Rights and Responsibilities) booklets that I had never turned in the sign in sheet. I happily trashed them remembering those teenage days of rebellion.
  Just recently I found a small thing I wrote about the yellow books in tenth grade ( this was when our school still had barbed wire around the fields, I kid you not. o_O) Sure I didn't have much of a point other to complain, but according to those booklets, that was one of the few rights I had. Out the entire book which was 34 pages long. There were 7 pages that glossed over rights and the rest, save the index, where about rules and the consequence of breaking them.

7 pages Arrow seven rights: Education, Environment, Respect, Property, Participation, Expression, Complaint. Oh one more thing, there were responsibilites for these same 7 rights.
  Education and Participation were actually not too bad, even to the point of being redundant.

Enviroment, Respect, and Property start out with students have "the right to expect." Well excuse me but I can expect whatever the hel I want. I can expect Camo to actually turn out to be Oprah and to send us all demo CDs of him on guitar. The thing isn't the oddness of what one can expect, its the fact that by using these specific words, they have promised the student nothing. IT GETS BETTER! Property's responsibilities start out by saying "Students have the responsibility to respect personal property rights of other students" Thus according to them, your property is only safe if you don't expect the unexpected, which is a most horrible lesson to teach.

Now we come to expression. This sounds all nice and neat and even has the line "students may advocate change in any law, policy, or regulation." Then we hit the last part of responsibilites "...and not to advocate violation of the law or school regulations" Thus if you are advocating the law to change to allow something currently illegal, you can't? Before you call me stupid, think of all the kids that had to change their shirt for having marijuana on it and TELL me that at least three of them had something along the lines of "legalize weed"

Thus, we the students had the right to complain, but it couldn't be in class and we couldn't swear or really use anything as an outlet for our anger. Perfect example writing a small paper you keep to yourself about how much of a PIA So&So is and how you wished he/she would up and die. Fits in perfectly to the guidlines of the right to Expression, but you and I BOTH know what happens when you add a name to hate in school.

Lastly, the main reason that I didn't turn this paper in was that it asked parents to "expressly resever their right protected by the constitutions or laws of the US or state." To this day I still have little idea what the are even meaning by this, but asking someone to take their own rights away is not something I trust.

So, how many of you have read that big book of school rules to find you can't have ANYTHING that can be used as a weapon. Yes, that kid sitting next to you always did have really sharp pencils, did you ever think it wasn't just to make finer lines?

"oh and before i devour you 2 ill tell you my name is Valkyor." - My Kamaitachi
Battalon127

Member #25

Mar 6, 2006 24:28
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Heh heh, I am so glad to have this topic here because my school is full of this stuff (I'm trying to come up with ways to break as much of it as I can in these last nine weeks or so). I know people who have had pliers, screwdrivers, plastic swords, nail clippers, and chopsticks taken away under the "weapon clause." It is also the number one reason given for the ban on hats (and hooded sweatshirts with the big front pockets if our retarded principal gets his way) and not being allowed to carry backpacks with us from class to class. My usual response would be to point out that if someone really wanted to maim/kill someone, they'd get creative and use whatever they could. Extra sharp pencil. Papercut to the jugular. You get the idea. Or they could just go to the shop where we have a plethora of sharp/heavy blunt objects, potentially deadly power tools, and access to high amounts of electricity and dangerous/explosive chemicals.

And you know how students have the right to be active in changing school rules. We've got that too, except our above mentioned principal refuses to listen to student complaints and answers most of my well-intentioned questions about rules with a varient of "You don't have to know why, you just have to do it." Nice huh?

Oh, just as an interesting fact, I was banned from checking this site my sophomore year as it was deemed "Not School Appropriate." They never blocked it though, so I've pretty well ignored the ban.

Sometimes we are responsible for more than we bargain for. In a split second the entire tide of history can be changed. But is an ideal worth fighting for when you don’t know what you believe? Can the impact of a single person truly contribute to the Greater Good? Is a human life the fair price for one man’s idea of justice? The questions never end, the answers always out of reach.
boyachi

Member #92

Mar 6, 2006 5:30
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

The right of petition is useless. I tried it in 8th grade. I remember the lines: "I don't care how many signatures you get we won't change it."
  Oh to put it into context, the seats we had at lunch, that we were able to pick but once a semester, were changed on us. We weren't happy. So, I (and this was when I first had started looking at the booklet, due to something the administration did, not going to touch on zero tolerance.) decided the petition would work. Get the kids together and do it civil-like. So kids, if this happens to you: don't play by their rules; ignore the entire decree. Apathy is a powerful weapon.

"My side is dead, my beliefs have been forgotten, my youth has left me and my innocence was slaughtered infront my eyes. Why should I care when it is only my life on the line?" - Neverdais
Camo

Member #5

Mar 7, 2006 4:46
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hi, I'm Oprah.

c**t me up scotty
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Mar 28, 2024 17:37 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022