Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 19, 2024 10:00 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Best Show You'll Never Hear Of

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
MadGoblin

Member #2

Feb 5, 2006 22:11
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Somethin'!!!

Recently, my attention has been brought to a new piece of programing on Cartoon Network: Dragon Hunters. It's animation is reminecent of Samarai Jack (at least for the intro) as is the overall storyline. It's quite serious and compelling, of course, you can expect that from the French, who made it. But, in addition to kickass animation (which seems to have been NOT done by underpaid Koreans for once, and thus is fluent) and plot, and the fact that things are killed in it, earning it a PG rating, it has a theme song, aptly dubbed "The Dragon Hunters Song" by the frickin' Cure. Now, with all this awesomosity combined together, only two things can come from it:

• They put it on Saturday mornings at 11:00am,
  • They never advertise it ever.

•   
      Much like Duck Dodgers or Justice League, this show is not recognized for how great it is, and the network doesn't know what to do with it. So, they stick it somewhere, hope no one notices it, and pray it goes away. This way they'll have more time to promote shows that are horrible Animes with horrible dubbing or horrible shows that are purposely designed to look like horrible Animes with horrible dubbing.

I dream of all our days to come
      And wonder how we end this game
      We only want a song to sing
      A story told for us to live

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."
      - River Tam, Firefly
    boyachi

Member #92

Feb 5, 2006 23:55
    E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Really, 11:00 am...that doesn't conflict with the only other show I watch saturday morning, TMNT, so I'll try it out.
      Ya know, for it being all cartoonified, I rarely ever turned cartoon network on during a saturday morning, though they did used to have johnny quest.
      I REALLY love the justice league, but like teen titans, I just never get to watch which is compounded by the fact that I don't know when its on and I'm too lazy to check (happens when I rarely watch TV)
      NEVER understood duck dodgers as a series, did learn from an old episode in history class though, that was entertaining.

"My side is dead, my beliefs have been forgotten, my youth has left me and my innocence was slaughtered infront my eyes. Why should I care when it is only my life on the line?" - Neverdais
    Afiag

Member #242

Feb 6, 2006 14:25
    E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I haven't gotten to check that out yet, but I figured it might be pretty good hence the fact that they don't advertise it.

Are they ashamed of having decent shows?
      Do they have some enigmatic scheme?
      Is my shirt black, or some really dark shade of grayish blue?
      Who ate all my doritos?

These few questions may never be answered.

Oh yeah, and I suppose Teen Titans is an alright show. I've watched it a few times more than the rest.

Ideas are like pants. You use them proudly untill you realize that they're not yours.

GCWorld Enter the Abyss....
    Lymfada

Member #214

Feb 9, 2006 10:58
    E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

What time zone are you in Mad

Lym
      What does not kill you makes you stronger
    MadGoblin

Member #2

Feb 9, 2006 11:07

Oh, my no, Boyo. I didn't mean "11am" as a source of schedualing conflict with other good programming, for the case it quite the opposite. I'm much like you and have only been watching the sole decent toon left on the famed weekend morning, TMNT. Keep in mind that just two, three years ago I would watch the morning block for its four hour run. Even tho' the shows weren't that good then, they are hella better than the crap they got goin' on now. I mean, there's tolerable, and then there's vomit-inducing.

My point in mentioning the time was that it was earlier. JLU, with all its enuendo, fighting, and coolness, got a primetime slot since it was obviously geared towards and older audience and not the "typical" participant in the Saturday morning tradition. Toonami would have been a much better spot for Dragon Hunters was what I meant. I mean, hell, a PG rating? PG! I think ol' JL and even Samurai Jack only went up to G if that!

I really do believe that, Afio. Networks always have problems- no, scratch that, give problems to the shows they don't really like. I really do think that since this great show, much like other older shows that went unappreciated like Visionaries (Knights of the Magical Light!) and InHumanoid (Evil that Lies Within!). Course, back then, there was no Toonami block to stick the more mature cartoons in. Now there is. Do they make use of it? No. Instead, they have Naruto... and Duel Masters... and repeats of Teen Titans D'oh

Edit: Oh snapicus! Feedback from the downtown during huge post write!
      I'd be in the eastern timezone, Lymphnode.

Valk:that punch was really a venom punch hahahaha youll be uconsious in a few mins.
      - My Kamaitachi, Part II

[Edited by MadGoblin on Feb 9, 2006 11:09]
    Rook

Member #112

Feb 18, 2006 19:19
    E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Is Dragon Hunters good? Because you also said Bobo was good, and it sucks. Have you guys seen CN's new puppet series on Toonami? That must be one hell of a budget cut... Or it just sucks...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is based on a true story: Chuck Norris once swallowed a turtle whole, and when he crapped it out, the turtle was six feet tall and had learned karate.
    MintMan

Member #1

Feb 18, 2006 20:05

The puppet one is Taiwanese, so, yeah, budget as all get-out. Plus, they have one guy do all of the dubbing (quite poorly, at that) with even worse scripts.

In defense, we never said Bobo was good. In fact, a search for "good" in the Bobobo topic only pulls up references to other shows.
      All we ever said was that Bobo was probably better in Japan, and "better" doesn't necessarily imply that it is watchable, either.

July 17, 2004, MintMan revealed the inner secrets of FtRPG:
    "Necromancers don't learn dance Embarrassed"

MadGoblin

Member #2

Feb 19, 2006 9:28

It was good, trust me. * sets a secret BaningCircle to deter others from opposing his view * Furthermore, you don't have to worry about Dragon Hunters being good or bad, not anymore. Why?

It's gone 4evar!

While looking for what time slot it was occupying this week, last week it having been moved from 11am to 11:30, I discovered that it was not at either time slot, or, for that matter, any time slot for the next two weeks. Looks like it already got the ax, and, for what? Crap like "Juniper Lee", "Robot Boy", and "Am I enough like an Anime to fool the stupid masses? Good, give me more promo. Achem achem achem."

No clue why that name was kept.

"If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying."
      - Los Guerreros
    Sword
    Afiag

Member #242

Feb 27, 2006 14:34
    E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Damn. I had just watched DH a while back, and I thought it was pretty darn good.
      Pfft.

Ideas are like pants. You use them proudly untill you realize that they're not yours.

Shinyumo

Member #236

Feb 27, 2006 21:07
    Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah, I'd seen Dragon Hunters. It was alright. Better than any other crap Cartoon Network has at the moment. Maybe they should've put it on Toonami. I gotta say though, Naruto isn't bad. The English version just happens to burn my eyes and ears. And if anything's geared towards the less mature audience, it's Zatch Bell and Duel Masters.
    boyachi

Member #92

Feb 27, 2006 23:02

Whats dorkier than Synarian, yu-gi-oh, Primetime TV series board games, and pocket protectors combined: Duel Masters.
      I mean, MTG is still going strong, Yu-Gi-Oh, which lives off the show, has some moments of amazing animation...but duel masters...just doesn't have either. Or originality in my book.

"My side is dead, my beliefs have been forgotten, my youth has left me and my innocence was slaughtered infront my eyes. Why should I care when it is only my life on the line?" - Neverdais
    MintMan

Member #1

Feb 27, 2006 23:18

Duel Masters was originally a parody of Yu-Gi-Oh, in both its oft purposefully bad dubbing and the show in and of itself. However, schemes changed...

I mean, how many animes do you know of that specifically have a season made for America? Damn those Japanese got greedy! They knew dumb Americans would flock to it like a big flocky thing. All about the almighty dollar, yo. Plastic Cow dumped, new company brought in, made-up story-line introduced that has nothing to do with manga, and it mimics card game animes more than it insults them.... Bah, feh, and resentment!

And now you know how to hate better thanks to KK! * shinily uses Light on the awesomest person ever... himself! * Lick

"I like cinnamon rolls. That's why I wish they made a cinnamon roll incense, 'cause I don't always have time to make a pan. I'd rather light a stick and have my roommates wake up with false hopes." ~ Mitch Hedberg
    Sword
    <- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
    Page:  1 
    Apr 19, 2024 10:00 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022