Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 2, 2020 17:21 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: The Boondocks

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Rook

Member #112

Dec 14, 2005 20:04
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Remember in the Bobobo bo bobobobob bob o bo post when it was said it (Bobo) and Super Milk Chan were the only watchable anime? THEY WERE WRONG!!!!! Anyone seen the Boondocks yet? It's hilarious! And violent! This post is meant to be a discussion of all animated comedy serieses, including, but not limited to family Guy, The Simpsons, The Boondocks, and American Dad. Feel free to post others as well.

"Do not panic. You will all die" -- The Regis V from Megas XLR

[Edited by Rook on Dec 14, 2005 20:05]
MadGoblin

Member #2

Dec 14, 2005 20:35
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

It's... it's not an Anime. That's kinda what the comic strip looked like, which is what the series is obviously based on. They just wanted it to be animated with more than half an ass, so rather than the crappy, will-do animation on most of the Adult Swim line-up, they went to the overseas department.

And, yes, the show is unbelievably hilarious to the max. Nothing beats a smart brother.

"I know, let's go to college so we don't wind up like him."

"You wouldn't want your pool to leak and get water in it, now would you?"
  "No. You could get wet."
  - Chavo and Eddie Guerrero
Rook

Member #112

Dec 14, 2005 21:21
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Thank God someone watches it!! besides me, I only know two people in my school who watch it. The episode with Tom Dubious (?) the lawyer is the baest. I have a quote. Should turn up some time...

whY don/t u do us all a favor and die cuase hary potter is gay.go smoke some floo powder u friggin fairy.

Reading things like this I begin to lose faith in the human race.

-- http://www.mugglenet.com/wallofshame.shtml

MintMan

Member #1

Dec 14, 2005 21:55
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Anime! That is just as priceless as when someone thought the new TMNT cartoon was Japanese!

Here's the big indication that Boondocks ain't an anime -- everybody's black!

I couldn't believe they turned it into a cartoon. I mean, the strip was funny, but now it gets a whole half hour to rag on stuff? The R. Kelly ep, in my opinion, was the best yet...

Any one read the most recent strip storyline? It is all about the most manly sounding movie ever -- Brokeback Mountain.

Hilarity ensues.

Viva la raza!
Rook

Member #112

Dec 15, 2005 9:13

Well.. It kinda looked like Anime. Big heads... Big eyes...

"Do not panic. You will all die" -- The Regis V from Megas XLR
LeeTupper

Member #42

Dec 15, 2005 9:35
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Anime? Wow... Wow... WOW... That's sorta sad, man.

Hmmmm... I wouldn't say that only the totally whacked animes are worth watching. FMA and Samurai Champloo are fairly good, Samurai Champloo moreso. I personally enjoy Big O, but that was contracted for a second season by American studios, so what does that make it?

And yes, Boondocks is the greatest comedy animation since Futurama. It uses race-based humor, but still has a heart and taste.

What is this arcane desert?- My 9th Grade english teacher
  Do I dare ask why this looks like a potato chip?-my 7th grade english teacher, with a destroyed piece of homework
Rook

Member #112

Dec 15, 2005 10:11

I'm with you. Champloo and FullMetal rock.

But what do you mean it's the funniest since Futurama? Family Guy is way funnier than Futurama. Family Guy owns all.

STEWIE FOR GOVERNOR!!!!!

"I'm knowledge intolerant!"-- Cosmo from "The Fairly OddParents"
MadGoblin

Member #2

Dec 15, 2005 17:19

And that is exactly why I hate Family Guy a little (not to seem offensive), but people like you.

Family Guy is funny, granted, but it's like early South Park. It's more about being outrageous than anything else. I know far too many people who like it since it is, quote, "random". ... Random? What the hell does that mean? I get everything that is said generally since I'm older than most of its fanbase (or the fanbase I have access to).

The Critic was the best cartoon ever, and Futurama is up there with Simpsons. I'd still put Project G.eeK.eR. above Family Guy, and that wasn't even an adult cartoon. It still kicked its ass into the ground with a mallet! ... a foot... mallet.

Take my love, Take my land, Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.
  Take me out To the black, Tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land And boil the sea, You can't take the sky from me.
  Have no place I can be Since I found Serenity, But you can't take the sky from me.
  - Firefly Themesong
Battalon127

Member #25

Dec 15, 2005 17:47
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

THANK YOU for saying that. Around where I come from, speaking bad of Family Guy is like preaching Christianity in the Middle East. Not Good. I like the show, for the most part. Some of the stuff is absolutly hilarious, like the scene in the doctor's office from the new episode a couple of weeks ago, but a there are parts that just get on my nerves. I think Mad magazine said it best when they did their issue about Family Guy. They either use the jokes The Simpsons threw out or take a joke that isn't that good by itself and keep it going waaaay too long. Sure that can be funny, but it does not make for the best cartoon ever. [Disclaimer: Do not think I am basing my opinion on Mad magazine or that I whole-heartedly agree with their assessment. Mad magazine exaggerates the bad stuff about everything, that's what it does. I just happen to agree with the base material. And Family Guy has come up with some great ideas (like the Chumba Wumba episode). It's just that the basic everything of the show is so similar to The Simpsons, but pushes the limits more. Don't stone me.]

If you own a DS, go out and buy Mario Kart. NOW. Best thing to happen to the DS, ever. The only better use for your $35 would be if you mailed it to me.
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 15, 2005 19:04

I concur. This new season of Family Guy applies moreso than the original set, too.

Here's the big thing about Family Guy: Seth MacFarlane isn't funny. I've seen him in interviews. Unless he is able to constantly make references to obscure eighties pop culture or summon some far-off figure, there is little the guy can do in order to get a laugh. That is why the new season of Family Guy has almost no original jokes in it; they are doing a "... just like the time I..." or "... like when [blank] did [blank]" and doing a cut or flashback every five-freakin'-seconds! American Dad seems to have inherited any of the non-reference humor Family Guy used, thus why so many people hate it.

What I really hate is when Family Guy makes a reference... and that's it. That is the basis of the entire joke.
  "Look! It's like that scene from that one movie..."
  "Are you going to make fun of it?"
  "No, we'll just do the exact same thing, but with our characters! How freakin' hilarious is that?"
  It's not... at all. At least add in an "Everybody gets one" or "We met in a Christian chatroom." The bottom of the barrel are the songs. Not all of them. You know which ones I'm talking about... where there aren't even jokes in the song? It is just... a song... and not funny... at all.

There was also a very interesting thing you could do with Family Guy in the earlier runnings: take 'bout any episode, and you'll be able to find a Simpsons or Futurama with the same premise. Sometimes it is very close; sometimes, less so. Either way, I still think Sunday's ep of the Simpsons said it best Laughing

The main thing Family Guy has always had going for it is the voice acting. I mean, Seth Green can say pretty much anything and be funny.

So, just to clarify, like everyone else, still think Family Guy is funny, but definantly don't think it deserves the praise it's been gettin', 'specially considering that none of the people that drool over it now watched it in the beginning Angry

[Edited by MintMan on Dec 15, 2005 19:08]
Rook

Member #112

Dec 15, 2005 19:49

Futurama is good, but not nearly as good as the Simpsons. It's just not. Family guy is funny. The reason it is funny is due to the randomness and flashbacks. One of my favorites it the Four Peters
  (http://www.fgmma.com/Download/Song/254). Also, Stewie has an interview on MTV! (http://www.fgmma.com/Download/Video/211)

* uses MistBarrier due to the beatings he will get *

"I'm knowledge intolerant!"-- Cosmo from "The Fairly OddParents"
Sword
LeeTupper

Member #42

Dec 16, 2005 11:37

Let's face it, most people on a board like this consider themselves too highbrow to even consider Family Guy funny. And I'll agree with them. Family Guy is lowbrow. It has had moments, but now it lacks enough power to even get off the runway.

Futurama is my personal favorite due to its excellent plot and pacing, along with great characters. It can be watched as a comedy, or as many other genres, which is part of its strength. And Simpsons probably can trash any show in pure comedy.

What is this arcane desert?- My 9th Grade english teacher
  Do I dare ask why this looks like a potato chip?-my 7th grade english teacher, with a destroyed piece of homework
Rook

Member #112

Dec 16, 2005 17:16

Damn highbrows...

In any case I've got almost every episode of the boondocks on my computer! Haha, suckers!!

-- Jaques Strappe
MadGoblin

Member #2

Dec 16, 2005 19:05

Hey now, I never dissed low brow comedy. I like my low brow antics. Fart jokes are still funny. I never said that was wrong with Family Guy.

As Ems elaborated, I was more nailing the parts such as Prince Adam appearing for no reason. At least when Sound Wave made his (2nd?) appearance, he had a tape pop out of his chest that became the framed picture on his desk. Now that's doing something with a reference.

In an unrelated note, it's quite funny how I noticed something. I saw a really old FG ep, may have been the first actually, and it just reminded me so much of Simpsons and South Park. It's just not funny. It's drawn out, the laughs aren't that great, and it use to be really funny. The point is, Futurama's first ep gets funnier every time you see it. Another reason it rocks. I actually hold a suspesion that FG will just not really be funny in the future. I don't know why, but I just feel the episodes will lose their appeal fast for some reason.

"I'm going to special hell."
  - Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly
Afiag

Member #242

Dec 16, 2005 22:15
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Family Guy is alright I suppose. But, yeah, it gets old after a while. I'll watch it every now and then, and I don't make time in my schedule to watch it or any such thing.

I absolutely love Futurama though, definately my favorite non-anime adult swim show.

If we hadn't invented paper, we'd still be beating ourselves to death with our own suicide notes.

GCWorld Enter the Abyss....
Rook

Member #112

Dec 16, 2005 23:02

Well in any case, back to the Boondocks. I think my favorite episode is either the R. Kelly one, or the anal rape one. They both have the best lines. I also like the Garden Party when Huey starts pandemonium by saying "Jesus was black, Ronald Reagan was the Devil, and the government is lyin' about 9/11." He also dreams about the Blind nigga Samurai. Good action scene. Weird dreams, huh?

-Tom: "Riley! I'm in jail! get Huey on the phone!"
  -Riley: "Haha! Don't drop the soap!" *Hangs up*
  -- The Boondocks
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 2, 2020 17:21 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2020