Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 23, 2024 2:03 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Your Choice

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Blade

Member #99

Jul 27, 2005 5:39
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

To describe this post: Meh, I was bored....any way...

Game-based movies... any ideas anyone?

Good or bad.... This came to me a moment ago...Legend of Zelda: The Movie Big Smile Though it would have to be done right..it has the potential to suck very, very badly....any thoughts?

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Conker: Well, here I am! Conker the King... king of all the land! Who'd a thought that? But how did I come to this, you say? And who are those strange fellows that surround my throne? That you also say! Well. It's a long story. Come closer and I'll tell you. It all started... yesterday. And what a day that was! It's what I call... a bad fur day!
Spidermew

Member #89

Jul 27, 2005 11:04
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well the problem with game based movies is, they all suck....
  Not one has ever stuck hardcore with the plot or characters of the game. Look at Resident Evil, they didnt put in Jill or the stars team untill the second movie.. or THe Super Mario Brothers Movie...
  LOOKS NOTHING LIKE ANY OF THE LEVELS OR ANYPLACE IN ANY MARIO GAME!
  the first Mortal Kombat movie was actualy the best adaptation of a game into a movie. The second one sucked cuz it was so low budget.

And in reverse, movies turned into games suck monkey balls.Not one is good enough that any persion should even bother buying them. The best movies into games, at best are only worth a rental.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comSpiderMew, The Super Hero PoKeMon
Shinyumo

Member #236

Jul 27, 2005 11:47
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Spiderman and Knights of the Old Republic weren't too bad from what I hear...

Anyway, a Zelda based movie? I suppose it could be good, although it does have the potential to suck terribly, Tongue . And game based movies tend to suck terribly. That goes for game based anything except games, Tongue .

* fabricates a Pokemon the Movie/Anime/Trading Card Game/Collector's Item/Action Figure/Doll/Plushy/Camera/Book Cover/Flavored Toothpicks/etc. *

See what I mean? Tongue

[Editted by Shinyumo on Jul 27, 2005 11:48]
Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 27, 2005 12:28
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I think ol' Spider Mew hit it on the head. SMB's was all, "What-what?" and the first of the MK's was all, "Woot-woot!"

They have talks of a Doom movie that, get this, isn't in any way the setting presented in any of the Doom games and, really, mimicks it in no way other than, "Ono, big scary things!" ... cough.

Movies to games suck, games to movies suck. Spider-Man barely counts as a movie-to-game, tho', as it's, you know, Spider-Man! Making a game after a movie comes out with a slight adaptation to the costume really doesn't hold much wait in comparision to everything SM has accomplished over time.

A LoZ movie would suck. You know what it should be? An Anime, since, you know... Zelda was made by a Japanese guy and the Japanese aren't Hollywood butchers.

"The anus isn't meant to leak! That's why it's tight!"
  - Craig Ferguson, I Love The 90s
Spidermew

Member #89

Jul 27, 2005 13:40

Yeah i dont really count the spiderman games... those are cool and i enjoy them...

Anyone remember the zelda cartoon they used to show on fridays on the Super Maro Bro.s Super Show... no?

Zelda would have to be done as an anime.. cuz i dont see who would play him in a live action movie..

Shinyumo

Member #236

Jul 27, 2005 14:00

Zelda cartoon? They have an everything cartoon. Sonic. Kirby. Mario. You name it. Tongue

Zelda as an anime? That's as likely to succeed as Final Fantasy: Advent Children, Nervous Tongue Of course, there's Final Fantasy: Spirits Within in the games-to-movie department anyway... D'oh

And thus I stand by my previous statement, Tongue
msanis

Member #7

Jul 27, 2005 14:31
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Usually any form of entertainment OTHER than some sort of game, that features a video game character, fails relatively miserably. I don't know why, all I know is... I've seen a few and they DO actually suck. Usually the voices don't fit, the character traits don't seem quite the same... or even, the show or movie is REALLY corny. It rarely ever works out.

As for a BAD videogame-based movie, I suggest you look at some Mario movie made a while back. Not only did it not have a cartoonish Mario style (as the roles were played by humans), but the characters weren't ANYTHING like they were in the games. Bowser was some freakin' buisness executive... and Koopas were these guys in suits... I think. It was HORRIBLE!

...Sanity is a figment of your imagination.
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 27, 2005 16:36

Hey, Sanis, sure is nice that you payed attention to what two of us have already said about the SMB movie sucking.

Shin: There's a big difference 'tween the Sonic/Kirby and Link cartoons: Link didn't suck hard!

... Okay, it did. But this was an '80s cartoon. No one knew how bad it was. Back then, it was awesome and the highlight of a week, only to find out it wasn't been shown that Friday to piss you off Angry Angry childhood'd!

And are you saying that FFVII:AC is not going to succeed? 'Cuz, if you are... no offense, but, ... shut up. That thing obtained the rank of perfection ever since it was officially declared as they said they would not make anything sequally to FFVII unless it would do it justice. And this will be justice.

And nothing was wrong with FF:SW, aside from the fact that it had nothing really FFie to it. I mean, if they didn't put the FF in its title, woulda been fine. But, I mean, FF without Chocobos? (save a poster for one second) C'mon!

* eats the RantCola can. Mmmm, ranty *

Lair of Mad Goblin - Because sanity is a chore.
Sword
Shinyumo

Member #236

Jul 27, 2005 23:59

80's cartoon? You all make me feel so young... Tongue

No offense taken, Wink . Feel free to have your own opinion. I'm just saying I really don't think it will, Tongue

I don't know. The whole thing seemed kind of...pointless... Could just be me, though. Wink
Spidermew

Member #89

Jul 28, 2005 11:15

Advent children is totaly gonna rock..
  Spirits within did suck major ass because
  It was susposted to be FF7 the movie
  BUt they decided the world wouldnt want that
  part way though production, and changed it..
  NOtice some ff7 elements in place.
  THe spirit of the earth...
  The Metor....
  and there is someone named Cid, Bigs, Wedge.

thats it.
  And the voice acting... boy dont get me started

MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 28, 2005 12:34

Cid, Bigs, and Wedge appear in several FF game, tho', don't they? Heck, I'm pretty sure that the latter two appear in other Square games (Chrono Trigger, anyone?). Square liked Star Wars, apparently. Cid, tho', is in, like, every frickin' FF. I mean, who could you not know that.
  The earth spirit is another common thing, not just for FF but RPGs and junk. It seems to always be regarded as having a life, 'cuz that's how the Japanese are.

I never heard it having to suppose to have been FFVII before, tho'. That's news to me, and I kept pretty close taps on it.

"I'm going to special hell."
  - Captain Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly
Shinyumo

Member #236

Jul 28, 2005 12:44

Maybe it's just me hating Spirits Within then... Tongue

Ah well. Biggs and Wedge are in almost every FF. And Cid didn't appear in Crystal Chronicles, Slanted Mouth (A disgrace I say! Tongue )

It seems a lot of things Square would make would be based on FF7 considering how...popular...it's gotten.

msanis

Member #7

Jul 28, 2005 16:18
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Jul 28, 2005 12:44, Shinyumo said:

It seems a lot of things Square would make would be based on FF7 considering how...popular...it's gotten.

True, however FF7 was based ALOT off of some foundations they set in FF3(6). The whole "materia" system is EXTREMELY similar to the "Esper" system in FF6. In addition, many of the abilities or classes seen in FF7 make their first appearance in the earlier FF games, such as FF6. The only thing that SE did DIFFERENT with FF7 was the general LOOK of the game. Never before had SE chosen a really MODERN setting, nor had they before put THAT MUCH emphasis on character designs. The true trend that FF7 set was character appearance. From that point on (with the only REAL exception being FF9 I guess...), the Final Fantasy games started to show much more japanese influence. With more-recent FF games it has become even MORE obvious. All the recent FF games have some merit, but J-pop is by far one of the WORST things I think could POSSIBLY EVER be in an RPG. That killed any chances of my liking FFX and especially FFX-2. It looks like FF12 holds the same fate, which means I won't likely be a big fan...

Still though, there is some hope. So long as they DON'T overplay FF7 that much, maybe they can get that "winning formula" for the FF series back. I really don't like where the series has been going for the past couple of years... D'oh

Why do I do this to myself?!?!
MintMan

Member #1

Jul 28, 2005 18:09

... um, every Final Fantasy bears resemblence to previous FF games. That's why it's a series, YFFI.

As for Cid, he is actually a relatively new addition to Final Fantasy (in yearly terms). The main recurring character is the one that has been in it since FFI -- the King of Monsters: Bahamut! (woot)

And what the crap do you mean by classes? FFVII didn't have classes. Are you gettin' confused or somethin', boy?
msanis

Member #7

Jul 28, 2005 19:59

On Jul 28, 2005 18:09, MintMan said:

And what the crap do you mean by classes? FFVII didn't have classes. Are you gettin' confused or somethin', boy?

Well... yes, TECHNICALLY they did... just like FF6. The thing is, they didn't ENFORCE the classes. In FF6 for example, while they GAVE you classes, they didn't limit your abilities because of that. Rather, it usually just meant your character was accustomed for a certain weapon, and even that could be changed. You could learn any ability as well. In other words, they basically gave you a class that pretty much... had no effect on the character development. For example, Vincent could be considered a gunsman, whereas Tifa could be like a Monk (sorta). They did specialize the characters, sort of, they just didn't MAKE you have to raise those characters according to their so-called class. Sounds a little stupid, but then again... if they did it restricted to classes... then you'd have that ONE character (probably a white mage) that would be almost completely useless the entire time.

Meh... I have a feeling I'm going to be smashed to bits regardless of my point...

Why do I do this to myself?!?!
Shinyumo

Member #236

Jul 28, 2005 22:42

White Mage, useless? White Mage is the only reason I got through FFI, Tongue

And it's true that a lot of FF7 comes from its predecessors, but that was to be expected. FF7 was also the first FF to be originally produced for the PlayStation rather than the Super Nintendo. And from what I've seen, it's loads more popular than the previous ones...if only for its Cloud and Sephiroth fans, Tongue
TheAnaconda

Member #15

Jul 29, 2005 10:06
Web Site Master Account R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Jul 28, 2005 18:09, MintMan said:

... um, every Final Fantasy bears resemblence to previous FF games. That's why it's a series, YFFI.

As for Cid, he is actually a relatively new addition to Final Fantasy (in yearly terms). The main recurring character is the one that has been in it since FFI -- the King of Monsters: Bahamut! (woot)

Just because Cid wasn't in FF1. Cid (and Chocobos, and some form of Moogles but they werent Moogles quite yet at that time) was introduced in Final Fantasy 2 on the Famicom. He was the leader of a group of White Mages (and also Han Solo, when you take into account that the FF2 storyline is based on Star Wars lol)

Oh and he was a Dragoon in FF7 Wink

Camo

Member #5

Jul 30, 2005 24:54
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I think some movies would be better off as games, and vice versa.

I really enjoyed Resident Evil (the second one was awesome anyways) but I don't like the game, so yeah. I saw a House of the dead movie that was apparently taken from the good ol Sega tittle, it was pretty awesome, underbudgeted too, it was pretty much teen kids going to some island, everyone turns to Zombies, then they discover treasure chests full of weaponry and nuke zombies, I mean, there were houndereds of zombies and about 10 guys just kicking zombie ass, it was awesome, also showed lots of boobs. The only connection with the game the movie had, was when a character died, the camera would spin around them as they fell over and the screen would turn red, and for some reason it would show screens of the game and random times, they'll be running through the jungle and then you see someone playing The house of the dead 2 shooting a zombie, then returns to running through the jungle, good rofl watch for anyone!

Mortal Kombat was insane, just done really good.
  Street Fighter the movie was aweful, being a hardcore SF fan I watched it, liked it, but that was only due to the name and characters, the story and character plots made no connection to the game. The Street Fighter Anime's though, are excellent, and if your pissed with mates, change the language to japanese, and it doubles as a rofl movie!

As for Super Mario Bro's, how would they make it a movie, then make it like some levels on a mario game? It just seems impossible! I thought it was alright, then again its been like a decade since I last saw it.

I myself would love to see a Phantasy Star Movie, or maybe a Panzer Dragoon movie!

c**t me up scotty
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Jul 30, 2005 1:08
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I beg to differ on that SMB part. If they could not make it resemble a level, why could they, at the least, not have used proper terminology? The only good thing acquired from that movie is that Bowser's wife's name was supposedly Lena, and even that is not backed up by anything else.

If Nintendo wanted to, with the current powers of movie animation, an animated Mario movie would be good...though I still think that, in the long run, the games would always be better for obvious reasons. *shudders thinking of a potential Paper Mario movie*

As for the original topic...meh, I guess trying to make a Fire Emblem movie would be interesting, but filmmakers would botch that, of course. Legend of Zelda...well, it would be terrible, seeing as a rushed Zelda plotline is equivalent to the sharp end of a Darknut's blade...

...So, yeah.

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  "At this Thursday, ticket counters and airplanes will fly outta Ronald Reagan airport." -President Dubya

TheAnaconda

Member #15

Jul 30, 2005 1:32
Web Site Master Account R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Jul 30, 2005 1:08, LieutenantEagle said:

I beg to differ on that SMB part. If they could not make it resemble a level, why could they, at the least, not have used proper terminology? The only good thing acquired from that movie is that Bowser's wife's name was supposedly Lena, and even that is not backed up by anything else.

ah but we learned how to pronounce Bob-Omb too lol. youd be surprised how many people I know that each have different ways of pronouncing Bob-Omb (not the way its pronounced in the movie) Tongue
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Apr 23, 2024 2:03 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022