Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 28, 2024 14:02 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Anime -- Just for the Hell of it.

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
msanis

Member #7

Jul 25, 2005 19:38
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

As the title says, Just for the hell of it. Since I could tell the other topic was getting a tad off-topic (more like REALLY off topic), I decided to alleviate some of the off-topic horrors by starting a topic (I HATE doing this). So then, what is the general purpose of this thread, one might ask? Hmmm... well... I'm not so sure myself. I suppose the best way to put it, would be, "Discuss everything concerning which anime you like, hate, want others to know about, etc" (the "etc" covering whatever you want... except the... um... wierd crap... mostly). Seem reasonable?

Ok... now that the basic theme of the thread has been set in stone... let me start with what anime I have or have watched at some point or another:

- Excel Saga
  - Trigun
  - Cowboy BeBop
  - Rurouni Kenshin
  - Inuyasha
  - Pokemon (at one point or another... we all did... I HATE the show.)
  - Digimon (see above... I hated myself for this)
  - Wolf's Rain
  - Full Metal Panic
  - Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
  - Full Metal Alchemist
  - Love Hina (+ Again)
  - Fooly Cooly *AKA FLCL*
  - Naruto
  - Bleach
  - Vandread Stage 1
  - Vandread Stage 2
  - Gundam
  - Gundam Wing
  - Gundam Seed
  - Flame of Recca
  - Monster
  - Tenchi Muyo
  - X
  - Chobits
  - Bubblegum Crisis 2032
  - Dragonball
  - Dragonball Z
  - Dragonball GT
  - Read or Die
  - Eyeshield 21
  - Last Exile
  - Samurai Champoo

...and I've probably missed a few there. Generally, they are all pretty good, I've watched a pretty good deal of stuff, actually... now that I look over the list. So... what have you watched? So far, I have to say I'm pretty interested in the Bleach series.

The insignia of the Apocalypse engraved upon his blade. the day approaches...
Spidermew

Member #89

Jul 26, 2005 17:08
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Ok.. to list off anime ive seen.....

Gyver
  Giant Robo the Animation (the only one i choose to watch in english)
  Babel II
  Full Metal Panic
  Akira
  Ninja Scroll
  Nadesico
  Dai-Guard
  Moble Suit Gundam
  Gundam Wing endless waltz
  Escaflowne
  Ronin Warriors (first one i ever saw, when it was on tv)
  Pokemon
  Digimon
  Spirited Away
  Princess Mononoke (sp?)
  Tward the Terra
  Some Trigun
  Some Tenchi
  the Kinshin OAV's
  Preetear
  Voices of a distant star
  some dragonball
  very little dbz and dbgt
  some Macross
  Some Street Fighter 2 V
  some Vandred (what there showing on encore right now)
  Vampire Hunter D the first and second one
  the orginal Apple seed
  Burn Up
  And thers a bunch i cant remember right now but this is the stuff i was able to remember the name of the stuff ive seen (that dosnt meen im a fan of it ive just seen it, like im not a fan of dbz, but i am a fan of nadesico)

Image hosted by Photobucket.comSpiderMew, The Super Hero PoKeMon
MintMan

Member #1

Jul 26, 2005 18:46
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Spidermew's list was much, much better. Sanis, it looks like you are a mainstream/Cartoon Network anime watcher. That isn't anime.

Also, the general consensus that most of those animes were decent shows that you have no ability to criticize how many of those things are crap-tacular garbage.
  I mean, if you are watching more anime that you like than makes you say "Wait... WTF?" because of plot-holes and other V-syndrome glowing girls, then you are unentropically lucky.

I mean, what the crap is even the point of this topic? To say how many animes you've seen? That is pretty sad. I mean, not much direction unless you actually talk about them, too, 'specially if you don't rip on them hard. Such as...

Riding Bean -- The dub is better than the sub for all of the wrong reasons! "Watch out! Broken glass!" "You moron!"
  "Roadbuster! Come out and play!" "Louder, you fools!" Laughing

Hyperdoll -- What do you get when you have a parody manga crammed with fanservice? Something better than the manga was Lick Just ignore the packaging; it actually doesn't suck.

Trouble Chocolate -- The epitomy of what an anime is: starting out in "Where the crap?" and never making much progress from there.

Night Hunters -- gayest anime ever

DBZ -- While I power up for nine hours, ponder why the bleedin' Hel you are still watching this crap!

Super Milk Chan -- I just want to mention this CN one 'cause no one considers it an anime. "But it doesn't look like an anime!" That's 'cause you're a f***in' moron Angry

Evangelion: ReDeath -- Not technically an anime (since it is a fan-dub and all), but damn is that good!

Vampire Hunter D -- The dub was made before the Japanese version was released, so not only does all of the lip-sync match in translation, but it doesn't suck! Rock on, new age!

Dirty Pair Flash -- All of the original DP rockin' with none of the terrible, seventies style! Less afros -- more not sucking!

Iria -- Could it be possible that someone didn't mention this? That's just sad. Iria pwnz the market on animes, live-action monster movies, and characters named "Bob".

Akira -- Tatsuoooooooooooo!.... that is all.

Legend of Crystania -- D&D done Japanese style is coolies.

Shamanic Princess -- Sounds like a magic girl anime; isn't a magic girl anime. Plus, see anime hair conventions taken to the limit! Floating, detached ball hair? Rock, rock on!

Plus other gems like Eight Man After, Slayers, Transformers, Cutey Honey, La Blue Girl, Cool Devices, Bible Black.... uh, actually, scratch those last few Shifty Eyes
  * receives tons of Pervert Traffic through search engines * Hooray!
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 26, 2005 21:20
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, Ems pretty much covered all bases, so I'll just make fun of crap.

You know what sucks more than garbage that Cartoon Network adopts? (ie: Witch Hunter Robin. Gayest-, er... 2nd Gayest Anime ever!) The utter crap that is taken up by ABC Family. Granted, they take some real gems like Digimon and Medabots (Deigi is more often pimp than not, and Medabots is one of the all around greatest cartoons ever made period. Voices, animation, plot, cool-factor.), but then there is crap like "B-da-mon" or "What the crap am I? I don't know but I have cards. Wee!"

Cards equal gay, period. No exceptions. Games equal crap, period. No questino. Anything that involves a tournament for the entire basis of the series and not just a short, one-time story arc is gay crap, period. No doubt about it.

The "look like anime" thing is a great point brought up by Ems. Related to the factor mindless sheep hold of "All anime is good" or "Anything Japanese is great", if something so much as looks like Anime, it gets more credit. I mean, proof of this can be seen flooding any art site as the concept of originality is all but fleeting Angry
  Anyhoo, crap like "Totally Spies" or "Winx", and, yes, even Teen Titans, which are NOT Anime, are sadly, somehow, confused for them, and thus are given somewhat more popularity than the other crap turned out. By simply mimicking the shape of an eye or cliche gag that isn't even used by mainstream Animes any more, it disillusions morons. ... I guess this doesn't have to do with anything, but, damn, yo, I hate it D'oh

"The anus isn't meant to leak! That's why it's tight!"
  - Craig Ferguson, I Love The 90s
Shinyumo

Member #236

Jul 26, 2005 23:09
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Whoa, I haven't even heard of half of those, and despite what MintMan says, I don't think you have to insult unheard of animes to have a conversation...:P

Anyway, I've seen:

Pokemon - Ahahaha. I was young, Tongue
  Digimon - I liked it better than Pokemon. That doesn't say much, Tongue
  Yu Gi Oh - Once more, I was young...:P
  Dragonball - It was okay up 'til a certain point...
  Dragonball Z - Ugh...I think you all know why I'd hate it, Tongue
  Yu Yu Hakusho - I suppose it was okay, then it became DBZ-ish...
  Konjiki no Gash Bell - Cartoon Network chose the dumbest show in the world to show...
  Samurai Champloo - I must say, Adult Swim's worst show that I've seen so far...
  Tenchi Muyo - Mmm...it was okay for being on this list...
  Sailor Moon - Ahaha, I saw this so long ago that it's hard for me to remember it. Ah well...from what I recall, it was terrible. All it did was add to this cliche Japaneses schoolgirl thing, Tongue
  Card Captor Sakura - I saw, what? Like two episodes? Thinking about it, it seemed quite Pokemon-like, no?
  One Piece - Actually, it's probably my favorite so far while typing out this list despite its utter cheesiness...

And now the stuff that I (sort of) liked:

Bleach - I only watched up to episode 17. Inoue's power was kinda...:/. In any case, it was alright.

Air - I loved the graphics, and the opening and ending songs. The story kind of declined after episode 8 or so though...

Kanon - I liked this series a lot. Mai kind of confounded me the whole way through though...:P

Elfen Lied - One of the best anime ever. If you haven't seen it, go and find it now. My second, almost first, favorite, Smile

Gundam SEED - Probably my fourth or fifth favorite. It was extremely touching at parts. The graphics weren't too great though.

Rurouni Kenshin - Third/fourth favorite? The part about Swordsman Spirit was just stupid in my opinion, otherwise it was a great show. It probably had my favorite action scenes out of any show here. The backgrounds of all the different characters were outstanding I think.

RahXephon - Great storyline. Touching moments. Good action. Third/fourth favorite? Smile

Full Metal Panic - I loved this show if only for the comic values, Tongue

Full Metal Alchemist - Closely followed by Elfen Lied, but my favorite anime ever. Why, you ask? Good graphics (But not as good as Air nor Elfen Lied). Touching. Nice action scenes. A great plot. And on top of all that...the terrible ending that everyone hates! Tongue

Inuyasha - I liked it a lot at first, but I grew older and I grew to hate it. Now as it keeps going on and on, I find that it probably belongs on the other list...

Kimi no Gozumu Eien (sp?) - This was based off a game, by the way. What kind of game, I won't say, :P. Anyway, it was a good anime. Fifth/sixth favorite I guess? A lot of people rate it higher than I do, but most of my favorites involve some degree of action. This one's mostly romance.

Totally Spies, Winx Club, and Teen Titans could be considered Anime...Kinda hard to tell what's anime and what's cartoon these days, eh? In essence, Animes are cartoons, just drawn differently...:P

[Editted by Shinyumo on Jul 26, 2005 23:12]

[Editted by Shinyumo on Jul 26, 2005 23:14]

[Editted by Shinyumo on Jul 26, 2005 23:17]
MintMan

Member #1

Jul 27, 2005 24:55

No, they cannot be considered anime. "Anime" bears the sole requirement of being animated and being from Japan, thus why it is the Japanese term for animation. I mean, before the term "anime" caught on, all the nerds just called it what it was -- Japanese animation. Then they combined it into "Japanimation", a term which is now more rarely heard than the completely crappy "Japanime" Dead Japanime? Bleedin' 'el! That's repetitive!

And unlike what you think, it is very easy to tell what is an anime and what is not, even if you barely have any idea what an anime is. First off, the art will suck... badly. Sweat-drops and li'l stress veins will be used with blatant disregard at the most inappropriate times, as will other originally Japanese concepts like giant heads (which used to happen at appropriate times... such as getting hit Shifty Eyes Oh, eighties! You so crazy).

I mean, you usually need to look no further than the eyes; since American stuff is always done for cheap overseas, they cannot pay attention to detail like Japanese stuff. If no eye is nothing more than white with a solid, black pupil, that is one very good indication, especially on the larger, chickly eyes. The shape of said large eye is another good thing to look at. For some reason, morons who try to duplicate anime act as tho' they have never seen it and think "Hey, if I just make big eyes and tiny mouths, it will look like I'm cool!"
  Wrong.... very wrong. It makes you look like a poser.

Anime eyes (and other facial features, for that matter) take on all sorts of counter-intuitive shapes that have been sorta shrugged-off during their years of development. I mean, eyes that are tall and wider on the top and bottom than the middle? WTF, mate?

But perhaps the biggest tell is whats the womens look like period. American cartoons simply are not allowed to give female-likes any shape. I mean, even flat characters in animes are given a better wiggle than anything we'll allow (go, Inverse!). We kinda force girlies into an androgenous gray-zone that won't attract letters
Shinyumo

Member #236

Jul 27, 2005 11:09

Meh, just giving my opinion, Wink

Actually, I've never heard those terms before...Then again, given my age, that's to be expected... Tongue

The art sucks badly in some stuff that comes from Japan by the way. One Piece was animated in a different style than most, and Gundam SEED was pretty bad about graphics. Not as bad as a lot of the stuff you're talking about, but pretty bad, Tongue

It all comes down to perspective in the end though, right? I mean, to someone who's never seen Japanese style anime, Teen Titans would seem pretty anime-ish. And although I haven't really seen episodes of Totally Spies or Winx, they at least seem to use the facial expressions somewhat properly...Or am I just too new into this sort of thing? Slanted Mouth

We force girls into an androgenous gray zone? Since when do people watch anime for the girls? ... ... ... Okay, so maybe some people do, :P. That's not to say that some girls aren't in that "androgenous gray zone" in real life anyway... Tongue (Just kidding!)

[Editted by Shinyumo on Jul 27, 2005 11:10]
SailorSassyStar

Member #19

Jul 27, 2005 11:51
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Why is everyone making such a big deal about a bunch of cartoons? If you like 'em, watch them. If you don't, don't. If it's animated it's probably just something for fun. It's pretty hard to take a show seriously when the proportions are non-existant, and someone is being whacked over the head and having their eyes pop out.

As for growing popularity, who cares? There aren't that many good non-Japanese cartoons out there anymore, at least that I can find. Most cartoons I look at and just go "Wow, that looks like crap." Really, most people here could probably make a better animation than what they put on tv.
msanis

Member #7

Jul 27, 2005 13:08
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

...And so the forum is (temporarily) revived. Yay!

Anyway... as mentioned earlier, this isn't a topic ONLY about listing your anime. Rather, I made it quite literally the MOST BROAD topic concerning anime POSSIBLE. That was meant to be the purpose, anyway. I do suppose I could have described my anime better for those who HAVEN'T seen it, thus I'll try to do that here. By the way... nope, I do NOT watch just generic anime that is considered the more "popular" well-known anime. Out of my list, I haven't heard much of anyone know much about: "Excel Saga", "Flame of Recca", "Monster" (<--- awesome, but I haven't seen it all), "X", "Eyeshield 21", or "Last Exile". Now what I DO NOT watch, is the GARBAGE anime. I just... don't. I don't like cats with time machines latched on to their foreheads, sorry. If I'm going to watch an anime, I make sure it is a good one. I can usually tell after watching one or two episodes.

Anyway... I guess I can say a bit more about my anime... Here's an updated list:

- Excel Saga (posting a review I made on it... will be long.)
  *- "What IS Excel Saga", one might ask? Many would answer, a pointless venture by a retarded blonde, a half-dead martian princess, an emergency food supply (Menchi), an insanely awesome afro action hero (Nabeshin), a pathetic crying foreigner (Pedro), a giant-caped conqueror (whose headquarters happens to be in the sewer...), a fake-mustached wierdo bent on protecting the city, and a bunch of random people living next-door to Excel, that somehow (by becoming civil servants) are forced to becoming elite guards of the town. All the while, a strange race of cute teddybear-like aliens are attempting to destroy earth, and killing agents, assassins, and insane conspiracies are EVERYWHERE. This, is actually only partially true. You see, Excel Saga (commonly known as the "Quack Expiremental Anime"), actually does have a point. In attempt to test various kinds of anime (simultaneously), the Excel Saga development team had mashed various parodies together. While there was some semblance of a story, usually it goes unnoticed until later on.

Here is what Excel Saga is. A random test. Each episode, the development team attempts a different genre of either anime, or television show in general. They obviously don't just test a different genre. They "Parody it to hell". If there is any single thing that can make ANY situation even MORE bizarre, they are bound to throw it in, all the while, adding some pointless thing to make it all the more bizarre. This is the actual point, and heart, of the Excel Saga series.

The series gets continuously more and more insane until it reaches the last two episodes. At that point, Rikdo comes in, beats the crap out of Nabeshin, and tells him to give the anime an actual serious ending point. They did that part well, I suppose. I'll tell you this much, seeing Excel act serious... is quite... odd. The lack of insanity isn't a bad thing in this part though. It actually gets kind of interesting.

The LAST episode... you can NEVER watch in any public area. The name of the episode is called "Going Way Too Far". That name was correct in its judgement. It is not the fact that it is any less insane... as it still is. The difference is, not only is it exponentially MORE insane than ANY and I mean ANY previous episode, but it also shows the things that the directors were once sane enough to... not show. There is HEAVY amounts of Violence, sexual situations (comes VERY close, nothing is shown though), nudity, and overall... disrespect for EVERYTHING our society today represents. Yea... that is one messed up episode. We'd get arrested if we watched it in public. I may be exagerrating a little bit, but I'm serious... we aren't watching that one in public... ever. Feel free to watch it on your own time, though.

Due to some of the pictures not working from my older review, I can only show pictures of a few characters...

Nabeshin and Rikdo Koshi
  Nabeshin is pictured closer to the camera. He has an Afro... awesome. He is your sterotypical awesome action hero, who always gets the girls, has connections to everyone, and also always comes prepared. He is also the director of the Excel Saga series. Rikdo Koshi is the insane artist and creator of Excel Saga., you can see him running slightly farther back. He is frequently killed by Excel, and screwed over by the Excel Saga (anime) staff. He gets revenge a few times though. These two characters usually appear in the beginning or end of the episode, and typically... they describe what the episode is, what it is about, and how horrible it will be. Rikdo appears occasionally in the episodes, but Nabeshin is the character with the most influence. Later on, they become bitter rivals, and then murderous enemies...

(yes... I know... no picture. Sorry, I don't have it.)
  Hyatt, Excel, Menchi, Lord Ilparazzo:
  - Two of the insane heroins of the Excel Saga series. Seen in the middle is Hyatt, a martian princess who landed in Across from outerspace. Lord Ilparazzo (seen farthest off) assigned her a rank in Across relatively fast. She tends to die... alot. She miraculously recovers all the time though. She always tends to die at the worst time possible. Excel, seen closest to the camera, is an over-energized, constantly-starving, retarded blonde. She constantly dies, an is saved by the Will of the Universe (or Macrocosm) daily. She fails her missions frequently, and often impedes Across in their plans of conquering F city, F prefecture constantly. She loves Ilparazzo, but he tends to just throw her down never-ending holes. Menchi, whom Excel is clutching, is Excel's "emergency food supply". She constantly tries to escape Excel, but constantly fails. Menchi's unfortunate tale continues throughout the series. Lord Ilparazzo, seen farthest back, is one of the leaders of Across. His goal is to conquer F city, F prefecture... with the aid of Excel and Hyatt (and lieutenent Menchi), but they constantly fail. He usually briefs the two morons with their mission, and then continues to sit in the base, doing various useless things until Excel and Hyatt return with their eminent failure.

(sorry, image no longer available.)
  Pedro:
  - Poor Pedro... can be seen in the distorted humanoid figure seen in this photo. His life is ruined by Excel, and then his afterlife is continously screwed for eternity. He is raped by the will of the Universe (or Macrocosm), and is also tricked MULTIPLE times by her (it?). He Sexy Wife cheated on him while he supported them with money from his job in Japan. His son does not really remember him much anymore either. In other words, all happiness he had was inversed, and then an equal amount was added, and exponentially transferred into both physical and mental anguish/pain.

Puuchus
  The race of ultra-cute aliens bent on taking over the world. They appear at random times for no particular reasons. Most people who see them (even if they intend ot destroy them) are paralyzed with affection. They are usually then slaves of the Puuchuu. Excel is not affected by them for some reason, so she just beats the CRAP out of them, revealing their... rather ugly (bizarre) nature.

That Man
  A mysterious figure who makes his appearance throughout the series. He has some sort of relation between Pedro and Across...

Kobapu
  The VERY strange leader of the Safety Assurance Agency for F City, F prefecture. This organization is protecting the city from Across. Despite his wierdness, he is really looking out for the city. He just does it in wierd ways. He doesn't seem to care about any other portion of the world, so long as the city survives...

Fake Excel and Hyatt -- Kobayashi Excel and Hyatt Mikako
  Basically two cosplayer morons that appear throughout the anime. They dress (obviously) as Excel and Hyatt. They are also references as the "Excel Girls", and may actually be the people who sing the opening song...

Misaki
  A new character introduced... for not much of a reason. A Strong-willed individual, who somehow got suckered in to becoming a Safety Assurance Agency, despite the fact that she only wanted a simple job as a civil servant. She is constantly hit on by Iwata, though she usually breaks all of his bones to make him lose any thoughts of the "relationship".

Iwata
  Idiot. This person is an idiot. He hits on Misaki and get brutally injured constantly. He too became a civil servant, so that he may... annoy Watanabe. Due to this, he too, unfortunately became part of the Safety Assurance Agency. (He tends to hit on anything he thinks is female... so long as it looks mildly attractive.)

Sumiyoshi
  Fat guy... who never openly talks... or makes any sound, for that matter. When he communicates, you will never hear anything... only see Japanese characters. Kind of like that guy called "silent bob". He too lives in the SAME apartment that Iwata and Watanabe live in. Due to this, he also became a civil servant... and is also part of the Safety Assurance Agency. He usually is the voice (or rather, visually displayed words) of reason.

Watanbe
  Hmm... lets see. This guy is in love with Hyatt, and thus to proove his love, he became a civil servant (Don't know how that works...). He became part of the Safety Assurance Agency due to this, and thus is actually AGAINST Hyatt, since she is a part of Across. He usually is the more-dramatic of the three morons, and often has bad things happening to him. He is usually involved in some kind of romantic drama... which goes HORRIBLY wrong.

Great Will of the Universe.
  A void in the dimensional rifts, the all-powerful Will of the Universe. She (it?) is relatively peaceful and kind in demeanor, and often saves people. She DOES occasionally ignore people though, if it is not of benefit to her. She rapes Pedro, after she leaves him to die. For some reason they get a relationship though. She wants to help him avenge his scarred past. What will the outcome be... ?

Ropponmatsu 1st (Adult)
  An android made by a genius scientist with apparent pedophilia problems (That guy... creeps me out). She is the first version, whom Iwata falls in love with. Due to the fact that she doesn't destroy him, he feels that she loves him. Truth is, she seems to lack emotion... or at least not have the emotion called "love". She is a member of the Safety Assurance Agency, as she was built to assist them.

Ropponmatsu 2nd (Child)
  This version, I shall not explain how it comes in to existance... as that is a spoiler. Whether or not she indefinently replaces the first one, I shall also not answer, as that is also a spoiler. I will say though, that her design has a LOT of influence from that... really messed up genius scientist. She, unlike the other version, has more emotion, and she acts typically like a child. She is a powerful (albeit, annoying) ally nonetheless. She is part of the Safety Assurance Agency, as she was made to assist them. Iwata HATES her, because she replaces the original version (whom he loved) for a definite or indefinite amount of time.

...and I guess I'll leave it at that. This'll probably be the longest "review" I do... since I already made this one earlier.

- Trigun
  *- Vash the Stampede, the sixty-million double-dollar (their currency I guess...) man. Accused of destroying multiple towns, and killing innocent people, Vash the Stampede has a massive bounty on his head, and many plan to get that bounty. He is followed by two insurance agency workers, for some reason. Basically, he travels, shoots stuff, acts funny, and has interesting fighting scenes.
  - Cowboy BeBop
  *- Personally, I haven't watched much. I DO know the basic plot though. The main characters are a band of bounty hunters going after various criminals and such. The MAIN character is a good gun-wielder. Various characters join him, though to be honest... I don't know them very well.
  - Rurouni Kenshin
  *- A tale of a wandering Samurai... once known as the Hitokiri Battousai (Man-slayer). To repent for his deeds as an assassin for the Imperialist government, Kenshin wanders the lands, protecting those from the very government he helped build. Of course, there's also many bad people who attack villagers, and then of course... those who want revenge on Kenshin. This takes place during an odd point in time, where the ways of the samurai were beginning to fade, and a more modern era was beginning to emerge. He saves a young swordswoman from eminent death, and rather than continuing to wander, he stays. Time and time again he is met with his past, one he is not proud of.
  - Inuyasha
  *- Based upon Japanese folklore and such, this anime deals with the concept of demons, humans, and those with high spiritual power. Inuyasha basically means "dog-demon", which makes sense, since the main character (Inuyasha) is a dog demon. It all starts off with a girl named Kagome, he falls down a well that somehow brings her to a time-period four hundred years earlier. Later on, her group expands, and she and her group confront a demon that started much chaos fifty years prior.
  - Pokemon (at one point or another... we all did... I HATE the show.)
  *- Uggghh... we ALL know this one. I'd rather not talk about it...
  - Digimon (see above... I hated myself for this)
  *- See above...
  - Wolf's Rain
  *- An anime concerning a dead planet, in which small human civilizations still manage to exist, and where Wolves, somehow imitating the look of humans, live amongst them. The goal of the wolves is to reach a place called "Paradise", what they believe is heaven. But what exactly is "Paradise", and why do the upper-class nobles care so much about it?
  - Full Metal Panic
  *- An anime about highschool a girl named Chidori who for some reason, has knowledge about a certain kind of technology... extremely useful for military purposes. "Mithril", a vagabond army that stops international crime, has taken the job to protect individuals with this knowledge. As such, Sousuke, a military mastermind is asked to watch over Chidori. However, being in the military all his life, Sasuke is very... idiotic in relatively normal situations. Explosions galore.
  - Full Metal Panic Fumoffu
  *- Very much like FMP, but with one aspect removed. Sousuke continues to guard Chidori in her school, but it seems there is no military threat throughout the series. As such, it focuses on the funnier aspects of the series, such as Sousuke accidently activating grenades, or releasing "harmful" biological weapons.
  - Full Metal Alchemist
  *- The heart and soul of this series is obviously Alchemy. The belief regarding alchemy in this anime is that in order to obtain something through alchemy, another thing must be exchanged. When the two main characters attempt to reincarnate their mother, they forgot that rule, and paid a hefty price. In order to help rid themselves of the burdens placed upon them from that day, they look for the philosopher's stone, which is capable of allowing an alchemist trade for just about anything. Alot stands in their way from that goal, however.
  - Love Hina (+ Again)
  *- An anime about a pathetic guy, who pretty much fails at everything. Somehow, he manages to run a Girls Dormitory. Many "accidents" occur throughout the anime, often leading to Keitaro's demise. His goal is to get in to Tokyo University in order to meet a childhood friend, however, he failed the entrance exam for THREE years. His goal is a hard one to reach.
  - Fooly Cooly *AKA FLCL*
  *- Hard to describe this one. Lets see... crazy psycho lady from outerspace comes, wacks some middle-school kid with a guitar... he has a blackhole in his forehead... yea. Crazy stuff in this anime, very entertaining... and mind-boggling.
  - Naruto
  *- Anime about a child named Naruto, that because a horrible demon had been sealed upon him, was left alone his entire life. He lives in Konoha, a village of Ninjas. As such, he goes to a Ninja "academy", and trains to become a Genin (lowest ranked ninja). When he managed to become a genin, he was assigned a team, and thus he began to see that he could be friendly with others. However, one of his friends desires something, to become powerful in order to obtain revenge. But at what cost will Naruto's friend strive to obtain this power? Naruto grows greatly over the anime, and becomes very powerful himself.
  - Bleach
  *- Anime about a high school guy called Ichigo, who somehow can see ghosts. It is later revealed that just about everyone in his family, and even his friends have gained this ability... just by being around him. Apparently, Ichigo has extremely powerful spiritual power. When Ichigo sees his first hollow (evil spirit), he also sees the first Shinigami ("Death God", similar to the idea of grim reaper). Upon learning about the Death Gods, many new paths open for Ichigo. (by the way... yea... Inoue's power freaked me out too).
  - Vandread Stage 1
  *- Stage one of a series based upon two worlds. One filled with men, another filled with woman. Both are at a stalemate in a war that has lasted many generations. In attempt to steal a part for his lower-class friends, Hibiki becomes part of a galactic battlefield. Somehow, he becomes captured by a female fleet, which isn't actually part of the female military... but rather, pirates. Both sides were taught that the opposite gender were some sort of evil creature, that would destroy them. Upon seeing this as false, the women and men begin to question that belief.
  - Vandread Stage 2
  *- Like above... just more of the story, really.
  - Gundam
  *- A pretty old anime. I saw it some time ago. It is ok. Based on some orphans who somehow end up fighting some military power in giant metal robots. Not horrible.
  - Gundam Wing
  *- My personal favorite in the Gundam series. Good characters, great storyline. Alot of detail went in to this anime, especially considering how old it is. I'd recommend it.
  - Gundam Seed
  *- I don't know much about this one. What I gathered from the little I watched was that the battles were pretty intense... and MANY characters died. I began to wonder, if perhaps these were important characters dieing. It seemed wierd to kill off so many characters in just a few battles. Perhaps they weren't important characters, but I can not imagine particularly great character development if they all die off. I haven't seen it all, so I can't be a judge. All I know is, the pink-haired girl is annoying...
  - Flame of Recca
  *- Recca wished to become a ninja, despite the fact that they are long since gone. As such, he constantly gets in to fights to show off his abilities. His father happens to run a firework shop owner, so Recca gets alot of his "equipment" from there. Unknown to just about anyone, Recca has an ability no one knows of. Once he uses it though, his fate has been decided.
  - Monster
  *- An interesting story of Dr. Tenma, a doctor of great skill. He is known as a master surgeon, but he feels it is wrong to place bias upon who to save in an emergency. Faced with saving a politician, or a young boy who arrived earlier, Dr. Tenma chooses to save the boy. The doctor community then revokes all of his promised promitions, his fiance, and left him only for his skills as a surgeon. It is not much later that Dr. Tenma considers to murder the general surgeon, who caused these problems for him in the first place. He tosses it out of his mind, but he soon finds, that all who opposed him had died of poisoning. The boy who he treated had vanished. Years pass. Dr Tenma becomes the Head Surgeon, but as the crime is investigated, people become highly suspicious of him. To avoid being arrested, Tenma leaves the hospital, and escapes to a secluded building. There Tenma sees Johan, the boy he saved years earlier, with a gun. He is a serial murderer, who killed all of the Doctors who opposed Tenma, and then went off to commit more attrocities. After killing a man Tenma had travelled with, he leaves Tenma there, to take the crimes punishment. Tenma escapes, and swears revenge for his lost life due to Johan.
  - Tenchi Muyo
  *- Strange show about a bunch of alien (humanoid) females who come and harass some guy from earth. It turns out he is 1/4 alien, prince of a far-off planet. It has been a while since I watched this, so I forgot alot of it. I do remember it was pretty entertaining though.
  - X
  *- Based on a movie concerning the war between Heaven and Hell as the Apocalypse approaches. I do not know much about this, but there seem to be many powerful characters in this anime that take part in the war on either Heaven or Hell's side.
  - Chobits
  *- Another lovey-dovey anime. Not my favorite kind of anime, but I don't mind if it is funny. Anyway, this is based upon some guy which wants a persocon. A persocon is a human-like computer. He finds a female one in a garbage heap one day, and takes it... hoping that it would work. Starting her was awkward enough, but it seems she can't say anything other than "Chii" (in the beginning). He assumes that is her name.
  - Bubblegum Crisis 2032
  *- Don't remember that much. This is futuristic, based on a period where robots do alot of labor for humans. Robots sometimes go crazy though, and become extremely dangerous to humans. To prevent harm to innocent people, certain people have taken action against them. Using certain suits that enhance physical strength and stamina, the main characters fight these robots. That is about all I know.
  - Dragonball
  *- I'm pretty sure we all know a little about this one.
  - Dragonball Z
  *- See above.
  - Dragonball GT
  *- See Above.
  - Read or Die
  *- Anime based on a character who LOVES (REALLY LOVES) to read. She is part of some military organization. She has some kind of ability having to do with paper. She can manipulate it, make (strong) barriers out of it, etc. They are looking for a certain book...
  - Eyeshield 21
  *- Anime based on American Football being played in a Japanese Highschool. Despite the wierdness of a sports anime, this isn't that bad. The most entertaining part is seeing one of the main characters take out flame throwers and torch everyone. He likes destruction, simply put.
  - Last Exile
  *- I don't know much, I remember I LIKED it though. It is based on flying. Two orphans become pilates, and somehow get involved with some warship. They deliver messages and such. Very good anime, I remember it has great animation. If only I could remember it better...
  - Samurai Champoo
  *- An ok anime shown on Adult Swim. Not bad. I'm not the greatest fan, but it seems like alot of people like it.

The insignia of the Apocalypse engraved upon his blade. the day approaches...
Shinyumo

Member #236

Jul 27, 2005 13:54

True that there aren't very many good non-Japanese cartoons left out there. Might just be a side effect of growing out of laughing at Tom smashing Jerry with a hammer though, Tongue

I was considering watching Flames of Recca but I started Air instead and I never got back to it. And I don't think there are any animes containing cats who have time machines strapped to their heads ( Laughing ). I remember one about librarians though. Kokoro Library or some such thing? Tongue

Ah well, about Gundam Seed. It's my favorite out of any of the Gundam series (Which isn't saying much as I haven't seen much of the other Gundams, Tongue ). Not too many of the main characters die off. They usually get off slightly injured if injured at all. There's a ton of character development, but you can't see it just from the battles, Wink
  The battles were my least favorite part of this series actually, Nervous Either that or the pink haired girl... Tongue

Oh, and I forgot I'd seen FCLC too. I thought it was a bit weird, but meh. The music was nice, Tongue

Bleach: Death Gods? I liked the name Soul Reapers better...Meh, Tongue

Battalon127

Member #25

Jul 27, 2005 14:17
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I've heard Adult Swim mentioned. Everything on Adult Swim after Family Guy and Futurama (American cartoons, btw, although Futurama isn't being made anymore) is crap as far as I'm concerned. It's my experience, though, that anytime the mainstream media tries to pick up on things for the mass markets they go with the cheapest/easiest available thing, rather than the highest quality/most interesting option, counting on the public being stupid/lazy enough to watch it anyway. I could be way off base though, since most of my experiences are with network TV.

It's only a matter of time before the mosquitoes get smart enough to form a swarm in the shape of a hand and unzip the tent flap to suck us dry. ~Me and a couple of friends during a canoeing trip in Northern Minnesota after retreating to our tent at 9:30 to escape the hoards of mosquitoes
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 27, 2005 16:12

On Jul 27, 2005 14:17, Battalon127 said:

Everything on Adult Swim after Family Guy and Futurama is crap as far as I'm concerned.

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I mean, it's not like Robot Chicken, Sea Lab 2021, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Tom Goes to the Mayor, and, yes, even Aqua Teen Hunger Force are some of the greatest things ever made. Hell, why stop there? Home Movies and The Oblongs are still on even later than those shows, still awesome. In fact, the only piece in the line up I never lied was ... Missin Hill? Blech.

I mean, I know you're intitled to your opinions, but... your opinions suck Tongue

"Thank you, Spanky San, for giving Ling-Ling honor in hat form."
  - Drawn Together
Battalon127

Member #25

Jul 27, 2005 19:38
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Fair enough. I only get to watch Cartoon Network about once a month and every time I watch I get the same junky stuff, so I've missed a bunch of the better stuff. So let me rephrase myself- after Family Guy and Futurama, everything on Adult Swim I've actually seen sucks.
  (I have seen clips of Robot Chicken, I think on a late show. It seemed pretty cool.)

Self-esteem is for pussies. ~MintMan
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Jul 27, 2005 21:28
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

One Piece? Please tell me you've been watching the sub, not the dub...

The only reason I'm going to have to watch it eventually is that with them having removed all the blood, there's gonna be a problem...

One of the enemies was ONLY able to be attacked because he had blood ALL OVER HIS FRIGGIN BODY! The entire season leads up to that fight, if they screw it up, I think I'm gonna prepare a molotov cocktail...

Anybody watching only the dub of One Piece...go get the sub.

Um, okay rant over...

That said...It's my birthday! I'm 21! Big Smile
msanis

Member #7

Jul 27, 2005 22:00

One Piece? Hmmm... yes, I've heard of the attrocities Fox commited upon that series. 'Tis a sad ending for what seemed to be a promising anime. The same fate will likely become of Naruto... once September 10 arrives. Of course, if Bleach ever comes over here... it MIGHT be saved... since it would likely air on Adult Swim (which USUALLY does a better conversion, of course... not perfect, but better at least.)

Quite frankly, that enemy covered in blood that you mentioned, is probably covered in ketchup... CANDY flavored ketchup, HOORAY!!! Big Smile

This is the sad fate most anime await when coming to America. They remove all that is good in it, and then proceed to replace it with crap. Heh... in Naruto's case, all of the Kunai will be covered in heart stickers... and be blunt... so as not to kill anyone. Of course, the enemy will then leave only after eating in a horrifying Ramen-eating contest with Naruto... AUUUGGHHHH... a horrible realization of things to come!!! D'oh

...Sanity is a figment of your imagination.
Shinyumo

Member #236

Jul 27, 2005 23:53

I try to watch things subbed. Especially when it's 4 kids dubbing the anime, Tongue Either way, I didn't like the series that much, and the fact that it had over 200 episodes was kind off the turn off for me, in addition to the clown pirate, Tongue . (I don't have time to watch through all that, and wouldn't it get repetitive? Plus I could be downloading other things.)

Full Metal Alchemist airs on Adult Swim and it's a great anime. 'Course the English voices sound terrible, especially Al, and the wording comes off wrong in a thousand places but meh (Edit: And the didn't play Melissa! Slanted Mouth )... Tongue

Bleach coming over here? English Bleach? Will they say Death Gods or Soul Reapers? I fear for the the first... D'oh Tongue

[Editted by Shinyumo on Jul 27, 2005 23:54]
Spidermew

Member #89

Jul 28, 2005 11:25
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Theres a big problem with 4kids entertainment buying an anime
  Unless the subtitled version is already out and able to buy before 4kids gets the rights to put it on tv
  Youll probly never find the sub version(ever see a sub version of pokemon or digimon or yugioh or monster rancher no... yugioh is susposted to be filled with cussing and blood and dirty jokes)

it makes me want to cry almost when they take good plot tie ins and stuff the creator wanted in there for his vision and they blure it or delete it totaly.. anone ever watch Escaflone when it was on tv... they skiped whole epps. cuz if they cut out all the blood they would only have mabie 5 or 10 min. of an epp.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comSpiderMew, The Super Hero PoKeMon

[Editted by Spidermew on Jul 28, 2005 11:28]
Shinyumo

Member #236

Jul 28, 2005 12:50

Yeah, YuGiOh in Japanese was way dirtier than in America. I think that the Japanese audience is probably generally considered more mature than the audience in America, and that's probably why. They had guns and stuff too, whereas they just point their fingers in a gun shape in the American version. And I mean really...who's going to be intimidated by someone pointing their finger at you? Tongue Then again...why would the fate of the world rest on a card game? Sweat Drop

Ah well...I dunno what happened then. I do know that there are One Piece subs out there, though.
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 28, 2005 14:44

No, Japanese audiences are not more mature, their censors are. We baby everyone in America for we are a nation of pussies. They curse, can have mild nudity, violence, etc because they don't care. It doesn't hurt anyone to see that... or hear. And its only cartoons that have this restriction. Comics and literature, for years, had much worse than what was on TV, but, oh no, it's Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers! Sparks are too violent for the precious youngsters! ... Sweat Drop Please.

... Well, okay, the Japanese are more mature, but in a different way. ie: responibilities and such, in a way not related to content. I just wanted to add that since they really are, but it has nothing to do with hearing the word "damn".

"He consumed books like some of us consume twinkies."
  - Words on Pope John Paul II, 1920 - 2005
Shinyumo

Member #236

Jul 28, 2005 15:16

I know that cursing isn't really going to make much of a difference. Hell, I don't even know why we should care about cursing. They are words after all, Wink

Responsibility. That involves not going out and beating people to a pulp for fun just because you saw someone do it on T.V., right? Not saying that I really think anyone would do so, but I have heard stories of it happening. D'oh
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Mar 28, 2024 14:02 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022