Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 20, 2024 2:57 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Back again, for the second time!

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3  4 
Spidermew

Member #89

Jul 25, 2005 19:15
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

ITs not right to say your a looser if your an anmie fan
  i love anime, am i a looser, am i the lowest and crappest part of nerdom... some could say that about people who are still into pokemon or digimon
  ive been into anime even before it was popular

playing video games or being into comic books also used to be a sort of taboo to be into but now there big busness...

so if you say someone is a looser for being an anime fan in the same sence you have to say those into comic books and video games are also loosers

Image hosted by Photobucket.comSpiderMew, The Super Hero PoKeMon
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 25, 2005 20:27
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Took that quite the wrong way. Ems clearly defined this, but, as things are repeated, paraphrasing blurs it, and that seems to be the focused part.

Liking Anime is bad, that doesn't make you the lowest form of nerd, or any of that junk. SOLELY liking Anime does. When you have some total loser who lives, eats, and breaths Japanese pop culture, it ruins any value it once had.

I like to compare it to Goth. Goth is stupid. I mean, I love the way South Park put it: to be an anit-conformist, dress, act, and do everything like Goth people do. Hmm...

Nerdom, I believe, is really about not caring about what people think of you. That, and you know, having a brain that can understand the complexities of the interests. But the former is still a big part. Nerds don't fall for fad, and are normally the first to scoff it. We know what the current fashions are, we just don't give a rat's ass.

Anime is a fad. Video games are a fad, now at least. They both existed decades ago but have recently swollen in popularity. Once things get out there, people just start doing it because. I actaully heard a show say, "Everyone knows nerds stink at videogames." I mean, what the hell, man? Nerds MADE videogames. You were a nerd if you stayed in the house all day instead of playing sports. Nerds don't play sports on their consoles, at least realistic ones. Atari's Californian Games? Good example. Anything where you have actual sports team on it? Not good.

What was I even saying? Oh yeah, popularity explosions. Now, videogames grew in popularity with their graphics. Once they started to get out of the sprites, people started to think they were "cool" despite the best games ever made through out all time being on 8 and 4 big systems.

Anime, on the other hand, hit it big, I believe it was, due to Pokemon. "What? People like Pokemon? Let's bomb the auidences with anime and promote it on the fact that it is Anime!" Battle of the Planets and Transformers didn't need that endorsement, nor did any other animes brought out to the States. Anyhoo, from then on it just became, "I like this Anime" instead of, "I like this show/movie."

I'm sorry, I know people say, "Bwwweeeee, Anime is its own genre!", but it's really just foreign. All foreign movies/shows work on a different basis than American stuff. Godzilla, truthfully, works just like an Anime, but much, much slower and floppier.

Dang, I rant. Anyhoo, point remains: "Otaku", as they idiotically call themselves, those who like Anime just because its Anime and not because its an interesting fantasy or sci-fi story are the lowest form of nerd and, I might add, humanity. If there's not robots, magic, or monsters, then, I'm sorry, it's a waste of paper. That Anime should have just been live action and not tossed to the ravenous losers to sweat. "But she plays a ukeleli! Its roxxor pwn!!!111" NO. No, it is not. Guiyver is gonna go out of control on your ass!

"Thank you, Spanky San, for giving Ling-Ling honor in hat form."
  - Drawn Together
msanis

Member #7

Jul 25, 2005 21:20
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I'm not COMPLETELY sure I understood what the Madgoblin meant (not many people do), but I think might be able to summarize...

- The definion of "Nerd" does not pertain to anime.
  - A "Nerd" is typically a person who blatantly ignores current fads.
  - The term "Nerd" constantly somehow gets mixed up with those that watch too much (or in some cases, any) anime.

- It is ok to watch anime, so long as you don't become an obsessed freak.
  - Liking anime only because it is "Japanese" is stupid.
  - Those liking anime only because it is "Japanese" are typically, scum of the earth.

While I don't agree on all points, some actually make sense. I mean, I like anime... but NOT because it is JAPANESE! Quite frankly, so long as it has good storyline and character development, I don't care WHERE it comes from. Be it Canada, France, Austrailia, Russia, Africa, etc (trying to think of the least-anime-oriented culture) anime would be fine. I've seen some wierd people. I may have watched quite alot of anime myself, but I at least have NORMAL reasons for liking it. Shifty Eyes

The insignia of the Apocalypse engraved upon his blade. the day approaches...
Battalon127

Member #25

Jul 25, 2005 22:06
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Jul 23, 2005 13:24, Battalon127 said:

I was beginning to feel like a bit of a loser for not being a fan of anime

I see I've sparked something. The topic was steering towards anime, something I know nothing about, save what others have said here, and in my own pseudo-sarcastic way, I was noting that only as an excuse to pick a monkey.

Self-esteem is for pussies. ~MintMan
Camo

Member #5

Jul 30, 2005 1:00
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Jul 25, 2005 20:27, MadGoblin said:

Godzilla, truthfully, works just like an Anime, but much, much slower and floppier.

Hey, no one does flying jump kicks like Godzilla!

If you read this sig you should buy Camo a beer
Sword
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3  4 
Apr 20, 2024 2:57 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022