Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 24, 2024 22:12 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: R.E. Chat

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
MadGoblin

Member #2

Mar 5, 2005 7:46
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

There seems to be a serious lack of general goin' on he'e...

As you may or may not have noticed, the RE Chat has been dead for some time now. The mIRC server that it was hosted on, Media Driven, no longer exists. I remembered that back in the day, it wasn't really too used, but this is how some members got sucked into more activity at RE (such as Sailor Sassy, if I recall correctly and not boozely Dead ).

Anyhoo, I know it does not really apply too much to the already-active forum goers, but I was thinking it would be nice to have the chat back to de-alienate some RE members without them having to commit to a forum sign-up. So, the butt of this post:

How should RE go about having a chat? There are several methods now, but I know the two most common (for me Shifty Eyes ) to be either IRC or AIM chat rooms. There are several different IRC servers, but that tends to be the most room orient one. With AIM, tho', there's just one AIM server and a name just has to be selected (I don't think that Reality's End would be taken or hard to remember).

Now, for the butt-chin of this topic: if there was an RE Chat, would you use it?

Lair of Mad Goblin - Because sanity is a chore.
Cheetarius

Member #10

Mar 5, 2005 10:26
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Odds aren't very high that I'd use it, because I didn't use the mIRC one either. ^^; I figure that if it was meant to encourage people to be more active on RE, I'd prolly just leave the chat open and only actually watch it if people started talking. Tongue

- Cheetarius LITE, The New & Improved Version, now with Less Caloric Intake!...
SailorSassyStar

Member #19

Mar 5, 2005 19:31
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wow, I remember how much I used to go on the chat room once upon a time. I'd join one again if there were one, but it doesn't seem like I've really been able to talk to anyone here 'cept Gobbo. It's kinda sad when you can't even carry on a conversation online. *remembers chat the night of the centipede attack* Nobody in their right mind would have typed on the computer that long.

Anyway, the answer is yes.
Camo

Member #5

Mar 5, 2005 19:33
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I remember jumping in and having a wee yarn with Minty everynow and then, was pretty cool.

Pokemon Australia - keeping Aussie trainers in touch
Zedd

Member #76

Mar 5, 2005 20:57
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Perhaps, if anyone was ever on it in the wee hours of the morning (for you American peoples anyhow) when I'm actually able to get onto the site...

- Zedd i Randir, Lord of the Storm

"...with enough training, you will be able to beat ten men with your spirit. When you have reached this point, will it not mean that you are invincible?" Go Rin No Sho, Miyamoto Musashi
Rook

Member #112

Mar 7, 2005 20:41
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Taht'd be cool, especially on topics like Nintendo that are meant to be conversation-like.

"Do not panic. You will all die" -- The Regis V from Megas XLR
Blade

Member #99

Mar 9, 2005 2:05
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah! anyone up for an early morn's chat?
  Keep the forums up and maybe us long time END-ers could possibly encourage the newerbies..??
  Maybe I'll get more battles.....though I think I'm not getting much as I seem to only challenge stronger people to keep my accursed valour up...

Really, do not try and bend the spoon

EDIT: fixed some typos

[Editted by Blade on Mar 10, 2005 3:37]
Ishamael

Member #142

Mar 10, 2005 8:29
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

actually, gobbo, there hasn't been much happening on this forum (except maybe in the bd and rpg forums, I wouldn't know...

I probably wouldn't use it all that much, and anyways, I have PST here, and I don't think many people go to Reality's End in this time zone, though honestly I don't know. Even if there would be more people on than I think, I still probably wouldn't use it all that much because I prefer to spend my time doing other things. The beauty of static forums like these is that when you sign in, you can still see messages that are ancient while chat lines you can only see back to when you signed in or as far back as the log goes, depending on if the client has a limit on the log size or not. Chat lines have their uses, true, but not if no-one else is on. Forums have a lesser degree of interaction but are much better in that a person who knows the answer to a question may be in a different time zone (by a significant degree) and therefore never on when the inquierer is.

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
  --George W. Bush
  When, Mr. Bush? When did you turn?
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Mar 10, 2005 20:29
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Good point Ishamael...speaking of which, I live in the Pacific Standard Time Zone as well. PST all the way, w00t! Laughing

...However, just because some of us may not always be on at the same time as others does not necessarily mean that RE Chat would be useless. It is obvious that all of us would never communicate anyway; however, I don't feel like thinking up a major argument, so this post was pointless...

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  "When you have your own money, it means you've got more money to spend."-President Dubya

MadGoblin

Member #2

Mar 12, 2005 10:01

Well, as should have been understood about the Chat, it wouldn't really be for the people here. It would be to lure in other REers. If we all chatted it up on the boards, then why have a second method? It was suppose to be RE's #1 Reporters putting the stake out for other cool people, possibly educating them or dragging them into more activity.

Of course, its existance is really up to Ems, who would be the one to place a link at the side bar with instructions of how to activate said chat with its basis and name of destination.

If this made sense, I'm obviously not trying hard enough.
MintMan

Member #1

Mar 12, 2005 21:46

It would be really hard to just try an' start a chat. I am rarely on-line, and Gobbo is only on for vespers. I am not really all that concerned with what method -- AIM or IRC -- but more with why the blutty 'el people would even go there!

* since nobody wants it, plants a virtual Chat tree *

I mean... why would people go there? Half the time, no one would be in there, and they would just leave immediately. The other half, they would just enter, not talk, and then leave immediately.

When I tried an IRC bot, it bombed. Few in the forums would show much interest in it, BDers have a very limited need for real-time interaction, and END is entirely solitary! I mean, what? Are people going to talk battle about Collections or something when it comes out?

gr8tsuck: dude dokutoge looks like pikachu
  crazymai: I want to fight some1 plz
  DragonMonk: carrots r prettee
  Hated: ill fite
  crazymai: I only use the nymphs cuz they have no detail!!!!111
  crazymai: Challenge @ Valous thanx
  Hated: you want ME to challenge YOU LOL
  gr8tsuck: lol
  DragonMonK: LOL
  crazymai: lol
  Hated: lol

Bleedin' Hel! I vomited nine times while typing that!
  The only real thing an RE chat could be used for is... to conduct non-RE bidness! That seems a bit off.

The only RE thing a chat could be used for (thus truthfully meriting it as an RE chat) would be any interactive stories written that need collaberation or correction. If B&W was out, this would be a great thing with almost immediate purpose.
  I mean, Vin, Boyachi, Gobbo, and I went in a bland typeless sort of AIM room to discuss AtP all the time. If the RPs weren't dead, that would be a great starting place to start snow-ballin' up for an RE chat.

[Editted by MintMan on Mar 12, 2005 21:52]
Sword
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Mar 13, 2005 17:02

They would also therefore be a good place for me to keep out of, seeing as I have the pernicious reputation of destroying good RPs...

...Well, of course, the chat rooms could also be used to talk about pie...or I could promote R.E. in Russian or Spanish for those who come to R.E. from Russian- or Spanish-speaking countries...which is not many Laughing

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  The best Mario club, only for the best Mario fans!
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 24, 2024 22:12 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022