Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 24, 2024 21:54 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Forum hosting. . .

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Ishamael

Member #142

Nov 28, 2004 15:46
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I want to put a forum on my site. . . but by host doesnt have php. . . stupid piece o' **** Shaw. . .

Does anyone have a forum code that doesn't use php (and is that even possible?)?

Thanks for the help anyone/everyone

Kildurin Gym is in progress. . . currently in mid planning stages: 35% complete
Battalon127

Member #25

Nov 29, 2004 11:44
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I'm not an authority on the subject, but you might have to use a forums host. If you search Google, I'm sure you will find plenty to choose from. Just wait to hear from someone else before committing to anything I say. Ever.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

A Elbereth Gilthoniel o menel palan-diriel, le nallon
sí di-nguruthos! A tiro nin, Fanuilos!

MintMan

Member #1

Nov 29, 2004 20:14
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

You do not need to use PHP; you can use any sort of CGI to write files (PHP is a CGI wrapper for those of you who would dare oppose my word). Of course, there are about three hosts that actually allow you to use CGI, and the one that is not going to disappear any time soon is kinda freaky about it.

You can try Netfirms, tho'. These forums were on it for a li'l while, although they have since changed their rules for the worst.

Your best bet would be to look for a free forum host. There are enough of them out there.
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Nov 30, 2004 24:32

Whatever you do, don't join ezBoards. I used to host my message boards with them for a while until the old SMFCMB died out...now I just use NetFirms phpBB, which is working great.

Say MintMan, is it not possible to make a board with Perl? Because then Ishamael could easily use NetFirms, which offers Perl free...why do you say that NetFirms has changed for the worst? It doesn't seem to me that it's gotten any worse...or maybe that's because I pay $10 a month.

LieutenantEagle
  President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club
  -----------
  "We're in for a long struggle, and I think Texans understand that. And so do Americans." -President Dubya

MintMan

Member #1

Nov 30, 2004 19:28
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Of course it is possible to make a board with Perl! That is what this one is made from, thus the PL extensions on all of the files.

I mean, I said that any sort of CGI can be used to write a message board (because CGI allows for the writing of files), and Perl is a form of CGI. I mean, there is very little use for the other sorts of scripting out there as far as web development goes, like Bourne Shell and all of those which are much better suited for the Unix console than anything else.
Ishamael

Member #142

Dec 1, 2004 20:50

Big Smile My host supports Perl. Just one problem left. . . I don't know Perl

I'll have a look around, and anyone who knows a good resourse for learning Perl (either online or something a library would likely have), please tell me.

Wow...the online tutorials I found are confusing in the extreme. Guess that means I go to the library soon.

Also: What compiler stuff do u need with Perl (if any), and where can it be found? One tutorial mentioned a compiler. . . but that may have just been in reference to C/C++, it did that a lot. I don't know either language, and the assumtion that the reader did makes the tutorial rather confusing to those who don't.

Unfortunately, I only know VB (Stupid, slow and pathetic VB), but I am working on Java. Its nice having an older brother who's given up on computer science and is giving away his textbooks...heheh...free Java textbook...what fun. Upside Down Smile

Ishamael

[Editted by Ishamael on Dec 1, 2004 21:12]
Ash10

Member #3

Dec 24, 2004 11:19
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

...Java textbooks blow. My school keeps giving us them, and one is worse then the next...

Why oh why do they make me learn Java...

Memeber of Derelict Studios
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 24, 2004 21:26

A lot of schools think it is easier to learn than C and have been pushing it in recent years. Quite frankly, I cannot blame them as CS students are getting dumber and dumber. How is it that Computer Science can become a field not populated primarily by nerds? That's a sign of something fowl...

Programming books do suck nowadays, I shall give you that, 'specially texts geared toward learning. An all-inclusive, comprehensive guide seems a bit better to go from.
  Give me a quick tutorial on Applets and otherwise with a library of Objects in the back and I'ma good to go!

I think by Java book is Sybex or something that sounds or resembles that. They make good books. Nice an' thick.
Ash10

Member #3

Jan 3, 2005 21:06
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, my current Java books has just spent 4 chapters and 200 pages explaing if,else,while,do while, and for. If it takes a book more then 2 chapters to explain these concepts, and you don't get it, you need a "Windows for Dummies" book, not a programming book.

And you are right Minty about the dumb CS kids. I have a 100% average in the class, I sit there for 1 week, do every single thing for the 9 week quater, and then spend the rest of the time sleeping or playing games. Yet, people are still managing to get F's int the class, and most kids have D's or C's. If you don't know anything about computers then why the hell did you apply to go to a computer magnet? I just can't believe some of these people...

Ishamael

Member #142

Jan 27, 2005 24:34

Holy $h!t, what a moronic class.
  And I don't care if the newest textbooks suck...I've got a semi old one, and it actually goes at a reasonable speed...unusual for ANY textbook I've ever seen

"We're making the right decisions to bring the solution to an end."
  --George W. Bush
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Jan 27, 2005 12:15
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Jan 3, 2005 21:06, Ash10 said:

Well, my current Java books has just spent 4 chapters and 200 pages explaing if,else,while,do while, and for. If it takes a book more then 2 chapters to explain these concepts, and you don't get it, you need a "Windows for Dummies" book, not a programming book.

And you are right Minty about the dumb CS kids. I have a 100% average in the class, I sit there for 1 week, do every single thing for the 9 week quater, and then spend the rest of the time sleeping or playing games. Yet, people are still managing to get F's int the class, and most kids have D's or C's.

First off... only 4 chapters to get that far? I've see up to a chapter each on those, pushing it to 5, and that's after the first two that explained things like what a CPU is. Shifty Eyes

Secondly, I never could do all my work in one week and get it over with because they wouldn't even tell us what we were going to be doing ahead of time! If I'd been able to do it from the start, I could have probably managed to get it in on time and avoided being one of those C/D's. D'oh

Oh, and as for Java being easier to learn, bah!

Edit: Just to clarify, I learned the stuff, I just am bad about getting the stuff TURNED IN.

[Editted by Lugiatrainer on Jan 27, 2005 12:17]
Ash10

Member #3

Jan 30, 2005 8:28

Well, I have prior knowledge of coding, I do PHP, but I still leanred all the nitpickings of Java and have been fine.

Java is kinda easy, except for the fact that you have to call 4-5 things just to read from a file or the keyboard. Thats kinda stupid.

And, why don't you just work on stuff at home if you are getting C/D? I don't have to do it, but if you are making such a low grade, work on stuff at home and turn it in.

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 24, 2024 21:54 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022