Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Feb 21, 2020 18:47 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Recomended Readin

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
MadGoblin

Member #2

Nov 16, 2004 19:33
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Decent? Decent? The Hobbit is the bestest bookest everest!

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant when I mentioned Animal Farm. The people are who suck it up.

Actually, now that I think about it, economy professors have actually proven how Communism just plain isn't good. Capitalism forces people to compete and strive, making new ideas and inventions. In a communist system, its just kinda, "Hey, I could do this! ... why bother, tho'? It wouldn't help me in any real way." Or something to that extent.

Vanity Fair? That's the one not affiliated with Pilgrim's Progress, right? Boo.

Lair of Mad Goblin - Because sanity is a chore.
Ice

Member #46

Nov 17, 2004 3:40
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah, I personally liked the old kiddy books... I remember going over to the "teens" section in my library and taking an entire series and just sitting there and reading it. I pretty much taught myself a lot of things espcially about reading through the Animorphs series, which I was addicted to (I actually bought a bunch of those, though eventually I ended up just going to the book store and reading them there). I was disappointed at the end, but I personally thought that the Ellimist Chronicles were very well written and had a surprising amount of philosophical messages in it for a children's book.

As for the library, I think I read most of the Replica series, because the basis of the book was interesting, and I can draw myself into anything. Besides, whoever they used for the model for Amy was fricking hot. After that, I also read the series about the people who have been shipped off of earth past the armageddon. I don't remember the title, though. I realize it seems a bit elementary, but does anyone know of any other series like these that read very quickly and are interesting or based off of an interesting concept?

After the kiddie books, I've come to pretty much find an author that write with a style I appreciate and read everything they've written. So far I've gone through Dan Brown (each novel has gotten better, so far, though I have noticed a certain pattern in the plots), John Grisham, Michael Crichton, and Terry Pratchett (freaking hilarious, as well as making interesting political commentary and philosophical points).

I'm sure I've gone through more (I remember reading a bunch of the Star Wars books, including the entire X-Wing Rogue Squadron series) but I can't specifically remember them. I really should get around to re-reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, cause when I read it the first time I didn't understand it.

* mutates a BigPileOfBooks *

°(o.o)° (c) Ethereal Enterprises, 2004
Sword
Kal

Member #127

Nov 17, 2004 15:38
E-Mail Web Site Master Account R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy was pretty good. It was like Dr. Who meets Monty Python. I've only read the first book in that series though.

I have a damn history exam tomorrow. Can anybody explore the reasons why Lambert Simnel was a greater threat to Henry VII than Perkin Warbeck was?

VISIT

HOOGLE
  S
EPPLES!

Ice

Member #46

Nov 18, 2004 16:41
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

His name came sooner in the alphabet. Perhaps he would be closer in line to stab him.

Blade

Member #99

Nov 20, 2004 24:40
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Okay first of all as most of you must hopefully think The Hobbit rocks and owns all.
  The Hitchhiker 's guide to the Galaxy series is a must!
  It was originally a radio series but was turned into a book series. search this website for it: www.sfbookcase.com the author is Douglas Adams. (for anyone who thinks that two missiles turning into an bowl of petunias and a whale is funny Smile )
  By the way anyone into Stephen King?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming....
  *Woah! What a ride!* !

[Editted by Blade on Nov 20, 2004 24:44]
Ice

Member #46

Nov 20, 2004 6:18

Steven King? No. I will not touch that with a 37 and a half foot pole. I saw one or two of the movies based on books... *shudders* Sick mofo.

MintMan

Member #1

Nov 20, 2004 12:51

Once again, Ice, proving you, sir, deserve this more than ever. * uses LandSmite on Ice 'cause he is being more Ice-y than usual *

Saw movies based on his books? Dude, this ain't even limited to Steven King! No movie will ever be like a book it is based on, and in his case, they pretty much take the title and crap all o'er the rest!
  It all has to do with Hollywood sucking hard.

Sick mofo? Yes. Good books? Hella betta than the movies.
Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Nov 20, 2004 13:36

* uses Slow on Ice to keep him from running his mouth with more baseless accusations *

So true. I mean, the original Shining movie was absolutely nothing like the book. It was really just, "Hey, let's make a movie about a crazy guy in a hotel at winter and, since that is vaguely like this guy's book, we'll use the name." They made a made-for-TV-movie of the Shining with, I think, one o' the guys from Wings (am I right?). From what I heard it was 100% more like the book, but I think still not exact. Still, tho', I've seen both and it is really like seeing two different movies. As for reading the book... I'm lazy.

Speaking of book movies, while I haven't heard or read Hitchhikers, I have seen the movie. And, since it was British, it escapes the curse of Hollywood page-to-film things. IE: it was a lot like the book. When they had the option of making the two headed guy in it different to make him easier to make, they said, "Screw you, we're makin' him two head, with two heads lined up in a row between his shoulders, and we're gonna spend a crap load of time making it look real, move real, and be real, 'cuz we want this to do proper homage to the original!" And, they did. For back when it was made, it was all, "Whoa!" and stuff.

Lair of Mad Goblin - Because sanity is a chore.
Sword
Battalon127

Member #25

Nov 20, 2004 15:04
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Don't dis Stephen King. I have a car named Christine! And never base an opinion of anything off of a Hollywood impression. They are about public entertainment and the public is full of shallow, superficial, predictable morons. Even the movies-based-on-books I enjoyed, such as the LotR trilogy, leave much to be desired and/or hated.
  Also, I don't think I've heard anyone mention Sherlock Holmes yet. I've read everything I could find and I have yet to find another mystery series I could get into more, despite my not being from the late 19th-early 20th century or British.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

A Elbereth Gilthoniel o menel palan-diriel, le nallon
sí di-nguruthos! A tiro nin, Fanuilos!

MintMan

Member #1

Nov 20, 2004 16:05

On the topics of good ol' Holmeseses and movies, know what a really great movie is? Without A Clue. That movie rocks, yo.

Also Princess Bride... that is another movie/book, and also awesomely awesome.

Uh-oh, I have a feeling that "recommended reading" is going to become a movie review Boggle

"Not now. Studying pie." - Billy
boyachi

Member #92

Nov 20, 2004 23:00

Why do you think I haven't been saying anything? Because I wanted to keep this sophisticated, which it slowly down graded, and then it is slowly dragged back up, just in time for someone to suggest movies.
  HAS ANYONE READ RITES OF SPRING? That book puts me to sleep literally, please tell me the rest of it is better, someone.
  Aside from that, has anyone read Wicked? I started to read it, but I stopped when college started, since, i had other things I am(not really, should) be reading. It is about the wicked witch of the west and her life. Seemed interesting as far as I had read it.

My side is dead, my beliefs have been forgotten, my youth has left me and my innocence was slaughtered infront my eyes. Why should I care when it is only my life on the line?
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Feb 21, 2020 18:47 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2019