Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Nov 23, 2020 22:47 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: College

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
WriteMan.exe

Member #140

Oct 2, 2004 8:18
E-Mail Master Account Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I am looking at a college but I don't have a clue which to pick! I just wanna get ahead start. I'm in 9th Grade but my English teacher wants us to have some ideas...HELP ME!!!

P.S. I'm still sorry about the "Battle!!!" post. My bad...

"MegaMan is cool. But I'm cooler!"
   -WriteMan.exe
boyachi

Member #92

Oct 2, 2004 10:08
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

First off: do you want to go to college? Seriously, you don't have to go. That is an option.
  Second:How much money do you have, that might narrow it down from out-of-state-private to in-state-public
  Third:what do you want your major to be? Make sure your college has what you want your primary study(s) to be.
  GO LANCERS!!!!

The New Dawn has risen. Are you the one to unlock it?
Battalon127

Member #25

Oct 2, 2004 11:25
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hey, I'm a Junior in high school and I still have NO idea about college. Money is definitely an issue, so get a hold of some scholarship inforfation now. If I would have known when I was younger that I'd need two credits of foreign language for a lot of the scholarships, I may have actually taken Spanish. Say, you don't suppose that HTML or Javascript count as a foreign language as I am taking a class in them?

The worst way of flying, I think, is standby. You ever fly standby? It never works. That's why they call it standby. You end up standing there going, "Bye." ~Jerry Seinfeld
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Oct 2, 2004 11:57
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

No, Battalon. "Foreign language" means that it's a language that's spoken in some country of the Earth. That means, puedes tomar la clase de espaņol or something like that (I'm taking Spanish 3 now).

Regarding college...well, would you like to be at a college close to home or are you sick of your parents and would like to go to the other side of the country just to get away from them?

All the top-rank east-coast colleges aside (i.e. Yale, Princeton, Harvard, MIT), my choices are basically all UCs (University of California). I'm considering UCSB (Santa Barbara) because that's where my brother is currently on the Ph.D. program. Alternately, I'm thinking of some other ones, possibly UCI (Irvine) or UCSD (San Diego). Caltech is a good choice, but my family doesn't have the financial power for it, so...it all comes down to scholarships!

Which brings to mind another question - are you in any scholarship programs? Do you have excellent grades or are you a mediocre/poor student? Since I'm a 4.0 GPA student since 7th grade and intend to keep it that way, that opens up opportunities like California Scholarship Federation (CSF), which I joined several days ago, and the National Honors Society (NHS), which I am going to join should my grades be decent enough at the end of this year.

Finally, don't just go to Harvard or something like that because it is a prestigious college. Consider how good the college is in your particular major. UCSB and Harvard, for example, have equivalent rankings in Biology (my bro's subject and possibly mine), therefore why would I go to the east coast if I can have a program just as good back here in California?

That's all my brain has come up with for the present. Oh, and regarding the "Battle!!!" topic, we all make mistakes - I made mine in the summer of 2K3. And Camo, don't be so harsh on WriteMan for that - I mean, when I first came around R.E. Forums and made stupid posts, you didn't treat me that way. I'd smite you but I'm feeling pacific today.

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------
  Truth -->
  <-- Bush
Battalon127

Member #25

Oct 2, 2004 12:15

That HTML thing was a joke. I guess I coulda used a smiley or something to show it...
  And Writer, don't worry about Camo, he's just being Camo.

The worst way of flying, I think, is standby. You ever fly standby? It never works. That's why they call it standby. You end up standing there going, "Bye." ~Jerry Seinfeld
MintMan

Member #1

Oct 2, 2004 12:47
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Definantly don't go to one of those preppy colleges like Harvard or Yale. Those guys are not considered organized crime by virtue of the public doesn't see them that way.

My campus is in the middle of a city that is pretty crime-tastic, but try looking at the records of murder on-campus. Toledo, nothing. Harvard, a lot. One of the prof's here had his family threatened by them and everything. Dude, they are messed up. Unless you like blood on your hands, steer clear.

Heh, four-point-oh. Eagle, that means nothing. I was four-oh, too, and it gets you no where very fast. Strangely enough, extra-curriculars mean more to these people than anything else. It doesn't matter that you have been programming since the seventh grade; were you in yearbook?

Then, National Honor Society is a joke. I boycotted that thing hard-core. It was not made for smart people; smart people are already smart. It was made for dumb people.
  Let's see, to get into NHS, you need a certain GPA and so many curriculars. On that list of curriculars happens to three years of sports, which conveniently lines up with the Junion-year minimum to join!
  And look! The GPA also happens to match perfectly with the one athletes need to participate in a sports program that all their teachers give them just so they can play, anyway.

What do you get? A few nerds, a lot of jocks. Jocks aren't honors. It is just something to make stupid people seem smarter and validate their position in the collegian ranks.

Most important thing is test scores. If anyone tells you that ACT and SAT scores are not important, they are lying in your face. Well, I mean, they aren't important if you just want to get into a college; twenty-threes can satisfy a lot on the ACTs.

Scholarships are a different beast. A 1500 on the SATs does not give you much of anything; you got to train so frickin' hard to get in.

Get a perfect on just one area of the ACTs, tho', and you are bound to get something. Sure, that is really frickin' hard, but just try.
  Perfect SAT scores seem to mean a lot less. I guess a lot of people can 100% the Math section.
writer77

Member #4

Oct 2, 2004 13:10

On Oct 2, 2004 12:15, Battalon127 said:

And Writer, don't worry about Camo, he's just being Camo.

What? Why would I worry about Camo?

...Just kidding.

Endless Horizon
  "It looks like I'm going to die as I have lived.... completely surrounded by morons!"
  -Bl. Mage
SailorSassyStar

Member #19

Oct 2, 2004 13:31
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

All this thinking is making me sick. I'm going to have so much trouble finding a college and surviving it as I started dieing in high school this year. I'm stuck in all of these advanced classes that are impossible to get out of, so I get craploads of homework and tests that are impossible to pass. I don't have time for extracurricular stuff, unless you count band, which most people don't. It counts for my gym credit, which is good because I've already spent more time marching than those suckers have spent in gym class.
  The way I'm scheduled now I have syphonic band, general wrld hist, and 11 college preptory english. Then during lunch time I'm shipped off to my afternoon nerd school for math (trig), computers (statistics), and science (chem). As of now I only know that I am even capable of passing three of those classes (band, hist, and math) and the other ones are going to make me pull out my hair. I only get one elective, which is my band that I can't live without that is killing me at the same time from all of our after school practices. There is no way I'm going to be able to take spanish like I wanted to because of that. Last year I some how pulled off a 4.111, but this year I'm thinking I'd be fortunate to have a 3. I guess that's not bad, but when your an obsessive over achiever it is.

Basically I'm saying I'm doomed. Besides all that goodness I don't want to go to a college far away from home. I haven't the slightest clue what I want to major in... I've been thinking about it the last few years, and people have been encouraging of my fantasy land dream jobs, but it's not going to happen. *sigh* I really should just stop trying so hard.
MintMan

Member #1

Oct 2, 2004 14:48

Band counts. Colleges like it. They like anything they can throw in their sporting events.

If you are having a lot of trouble, do what I did -- skip lunch. I do not know if you have it or not, but not going is a sure-fire way to get passing and destroy your social life.
  .... unless you are one of those "normal" people that actually enjoys a social life.

As for your 4.111... forget it. Colleges don't care. Weighted GPAs mean nothing to them. They want everything in the standard four-point format. A few schools started going crazy and offering classes that give such insane scores as a 6.0, and don't get me started on weighted GPA!... okay, here it goes.

For the most extreme example, let us assume that there are two people, person A and person B. Both A and B have the same requirements, and said requirements, for this example, are all weighted classes worth 5.0, and at this particular high school, there are only ten classes to make the math of this example easier.

Well, person B, being the big-headed outcast and freak-of-nature he is, decides to take an extra class. He packs in one Art class. Now, there is no such thing as an honors Art, but it really does not matter; you can consider this extra class to be any non-honors course. The important thing is that I-er... B, is taking an extra class that A has decided not to take solely because of B's interests.

Well, let us tally up the scores. A has a GPA of 5.0 for each of the ten classes, divided by ten to get... 5.0!
  But what is this! B does not have ten classes, but rather eleven! Let us do the math together, shall we?

5.0 (weighted GPA)       4.0 (Normal GPA)

x 10 (advanced classes) x 1 (non-advanced)
   ------ -----
  ( 50 + 4 ) 54
  --------------------------------- = ----
   11 (Total classes) 11

And unless you are gimp, you should know that fifty-four elevenths is less than five-point-oh.

So there you go. With weighted GPA, a person can actually suffer for taking extra classes that were not even needed, but just because I liked Art class and thusly get screwed out of the valedictorian spot. Is that not fun for me... um, B?

Edit: Page warping from PRE tag.

[Editted by MintMan on Oct 2, 2004 14:53]
Ice

Member #46

Oct 2, 2004 16:29
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wait, wait. There are actually schools that give out weighted GPAs? I thougth that was just something dorky kids who had no life made up to try and make themselves look better. 5.0 my ass. GPA is as such: A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0. Add all class values up, divide by number of classes, and you have your GPA. Different classes are not worth anything different. Of course, if you go to a school that considers an A = 93% or higher, you get screwed somewhat while applying for scholarships.

However, I'm confused on something Emmy spoke on. The ACT scores... I simply assumed most everyope here was a big enough geek to at least be able to get a perfect on the math sections. I mean, christ, if you study, you should be able to get perfect on that bugger, no problem. I took the test on a whim because I was bored and my school made me take it, and I ended up with a paltry 33 and perfect on the math section. I was planning on retaking it to get higher, but my mom said that score was damned high already, and then I found out I had the highest score in my school, so I didn't bother.

* mutates an ACT_Test_Answers *

°(o.o)° (c) Ethereal Enterprises, 2004
Sword
Camo

Member #5

Oct 2, 2004 17:43
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Oct 2, 2004 11:57, LieutenantEagle said:

And Camo, don't be so harsh on WriteMan for that - I mean, when I first came around R.E. Forums and made stupid posts

Its a good thing I dont make stupid posts no more.

c*** me up scotty
VinnyD

Member #9

Oct 2, 2004 17:57

Enter the slacker
  Yep, 3.0 right now, probably 3.0 later, and 3.0 forever...
  But. heres where I beat you all out, three years of Spanish so far, doing a year of latin, football, art, you name it. GPA takes a backseat to those tests I've heard, and I'm not about to bust my ass just to even out to like a 3.5 or 3.25. My extracurriculars are gonna pull me through, That, and...not much else...

The Official Man's Man of RE.
SailorSassyStar

Member #19

Oct 2, 2004 20:33
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

*sigh* Band doesn't count for anything where I'm from. No one even recognizes our existance. They want us there to play for all of the football games, but nobody gives a crap about us.

MM, I didn't really catch much of what you said. Couldn't you just say that I have screwed myself over by taking advanced classes? Wait... did you mean the opposite by saying that it balances out? I'm so confused. D'oh All I know is that even if my parents let me drop out of my advanced classes the concellors wouldn't. Too bad nobody ever taught me to spell. Dead My school is so anti-band that if I even told them that I was having a hard time they'd tell me to drop band before anything else. *tremor* It'd be cool to major in music, but I'm not that great at anyone instrument... and teaching would just suck. I should go for more after school stuff, but I'm terrible at all sports and I don't act or speech french, so everything else is pretty much a no go.

Isn't school swell?
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Oct 2, 2004 21:19

Ice, for your reference, certain AP classes and other such advanced things actually count as MORE THAN 4.0 when WEIGHTED. What you are referring to is un-weighted GPA.

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------
  Truth -->
  <-- Bush
MintMan

Member #1

Oct 2, 2004 21:41

Yes, and I was referring to how weighted GPA makes absolutely no sense.

I mean, you cannot have something better than perfect; the system breaks down. It is like going faster than the speed of light; all physics start to break down. (Although as I understand it, there are certain particals that we are discovering that actually do find a way to bypass Einstein in some strange way; I am not too well versed on that subject.)

No, Ice. Not everyone here has the brains to get those kinda scores. Of course, with your parentage, I would quite expect you to come from one of those brain-child spawning districts that give all of their students their own personal computers and whatnot. I would also expect a thirty-three to top your school's best as that is the top one-percentile (or at least most years, it should be).
  I, on the other hand, went into the ACTs knowing only what I did from the eighth grade for I did not learn one thing from all high school (until Latin -- but like Hel if they are going to put that on standardized tests!).

Speaking of studying for the ACTs, what the frick is up with the pretests for it? They are all like "Here, use this to study," and then you are all like "Wow! That wasn't bad at all! The ACTs are going to be easy!" and then when you get there, the questions are so insanely disproportionate in difficulty that you wonder how exactly it was supposed to be any bit preparatory.

The only test I did decent on was the PSATs, strangely enough, although it did not do me any good, for it was not until years later that I found out I was in some percentage where I was supposed to take another test to be eligible for some sort of scholarship.... really could have used that.
msanis

Member #7

Oct 3, 2004 1:30
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hmmm... what is this "college" you speak of?

I currently go to an engineering highschool located on a college campus and (as of this year) I get to take one college course per season (with shiny transferable credits.) I never really thought about what college i'd want to go to, but I guess I should start (I just became a junior).

As for the tests (which define your life, your soul, and everything pertaining to you), I have only taken the SAT... two years ago. I actually never heard of this "ACT" test you're talking about though. I believe I got a 1200, but... then again; that was a while ago. I'd like to get a 1300 or higher. I... have no idea as to my prospects, goals, or even an idea as to where to go in my future.

...that's probably not good... Dead

...And flaming creatures rained down from the skies, engulfing both land and sea aflame. Upon that day, the prophecy was made.
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Oct 3, 2004 11:09

All that I can say regarding light-speed particles is that if someone traveled at the speed of light; it would seem that time slowed down. Quite obviously, that concludes that if one would be able to surpass the speed of light, which is impossible, time would turn backwards for that person. I never heard of any such particles that could travel faster than the speed of light - then again, I am not too much into that info either.

Regarding college, I have no plans for what I am going to be myself. I'm thinking Bio, but with the fact that due to scheduling pnroblems I wasn't even put into Bio Honors and our school doesn't have Bio AP, I don't know how in the world I'm going to ever garner enough biological knowledge to actually be able to major in it and not be humiliated in college.

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------
  Truth -->
  <-- Bush
Ice

Member #46

Oct 3, 2004 13:45

Okay, I'm more than slightly curious where the idea came that you have to learn stuff about your major in high school to be able ot major in it in Uni. Cause you don't. They teach you everything in Uni, especially with your major.

Vinny: I would put forth the extra effort in your final years to bump your grades up to above a 3.25 as that's a cutoff for a lot of scholarships, and especially shouldn't be too terribly difficult in your junior and senior years. Definitely is worth it, in terms of money.

Ellie: What you were talking about was Fake GPA (falsely called "weighted"). What I was talking about was Real GPA, the only kind that really matters, specifically for the reasons that Emmy put forth. Similar to Emmy's story of the Art class dillemma, you also have students like me who were taking College Prep (one level below AP) math, but Junior level, during their freshman year. Now, I could have easily taken the AP class, but they wouldn't let me in. As such, my GPA would have suffered for taking an accelerated course as opposed to taking the stupid freshman level AP course. Mine is even more of a reason, as with mine, my GPA would have suffered for actually being too smart, not just for taking classes I was interested in. Also for all of you computer geeks out there, look into working on the yearbook and school newspaper. I did that, and I don't particularly like writing, even. But hot damn, the design and layout software we got to use was killer. Damned fun.

Emmy: Are you serious? I honestly thought that most of the people here were of significantly above average intelligence in the math courses. With my parentage, surprisingly, I did not live in a upper class snobby neighborhood. My parents actually made their money by working their asses off. My dad started his own company, and my mom used to run her own law firm til she was hired by a large downtown firm. Despite that, we live in an average middle class neighborhood (admittedly, we are very likely one of the wealthier families there). Racially (black-white wise, as there are simply very few asians/hispanics in the cincinnati area in general) we were almost 50:50, and I regularly hang out with friends of of almost all backgrounds. As for having a personal computer and stuff, I did have one since I've been about three, but that was just because my dad was able to bring them home from work and he let me play around on them. As for my ACT score, it was top 2% this year. Still, there was about 2 or 3 students that surprised me by not scoring higher than me on it.

(One side note: Apparently an item name is cut off after an underscore. I don't know if this was already brought to attention, since when I mutated it, it appeared as if the whole name got used.
  * gives MintMan an ACT *
  Take a look for yourself)

°(o.o)° (c) Ethereal Enterprises, 2004
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Oct 3, 2004 14:09

Yeah, that is already known; you aren't allowed to but underscores in item names. I guess I did it for fabs, but forgot to do it for forges. Thanks for screwing everything up. * uses the technique Mallet on Ice with an act * Oh nos! ACT attack!

I was really referring more to your school district than actual stuff your parents provide, but then again, I forgot you lived in Ohio... well, non-Shakers Heights Ohio, because that and Amherst are the only richy areas in the whole freakin' state.

Yeah, I do not even know how many states use the ACTs. They definantly are not as big as the SATs, and they make much, much less sense. Thirty-six points? Who the Hel came up with that number?

I really don't know why there was such a difference in my performance on the math ACT and SAT sections. It really does not matter how good you are at math, either, but really how fast you can do simple math. It is not like they ask you to integrate the volume of a rotated Gabriel's Horn or anything.

"Is he dead?" - Brak
  "He was when I killed him." - Zorak
Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Oct 3, 2004 16:06

Hah! There's not much racial mix in Cincinnati? Man, that would freak me out. I mean, in Lorain and Toledo, it's like, "Look, a whitie!" and then a good laugh is had at the rare site.
  * for purposes of scholarship watch-dogs, continues to act like he's actually ethnic * Shifty Eyes

Really, tho', 'bout the testing: testing sucks. In fact, grades suck. I know I'm smarter than most of the people who score higher grades then me (note, most, those being the pot-smoking, block heads that somehow make it through life Angry ). I mean, I can reason with crap in ways most people would never even think that they only know because they know someone who knows someone who got the answer. Bah! Curse and crush you, answer sharing! * fumes off violent at no general target for about an hour before getting hungry and needing seasonal Peeps *

Oh, and lay off my mojo, Ice Tongue The wacky dubs should be left to the pro. I mean, "Emmy"? Not only does that make it sound like Mint's name is, like, "Mint Echidna", but, like, the award and all... just not cool. And it's not "Ellie," I already fashioned that name some time ago, being Ely. But, since that one sucked, I've had Lwty going on for some weeks now. A much more unique approach with that monomer.

If you're reading this right now, it means I'm raiding your fridge. Sucker!
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Nov 23, 2020 22:47 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2020