Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 28, 2024 14:03 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Paper Quest'd

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
MadGoblin

Member #2

Aug 12, 2004 7:43
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I'm curious, did anyone else here ever sprawl out a well-meaning-but-shoddy game on loose pages or in the middle of some school notebook (or later, on MS-Paint or Mario Paint)? These "quests", as we called them ("we" meaning "the losers who made quests"), would be something like a very bad RPG which probably contained very little role playing whatsoever, but all the other elements were there. ... like inventory... and stats... and spiky hair. Something like a lame D&D.

I was just wondering if anyone else did this sort of stuff since I discovered my most prominent quest (that meaning it was the only one to ever get played Dead ), creatively entitled "Quest I", had turned ten years old this summer, and I've been righting a huge spiel on it.

Ems and I use to crap these things out on a half-thought-out notion that may have been decent. "Hey, what if there was a blood and fatigue meter in a quest! I bet that'd be cool! (and impossibly to accurately keep track of)"

So, anyone else ever jimmy out a lame-game like this?

PBM! Fear!
writer77

Member #4

Aug 12, 2004 13:18
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I have so many unfinished games lying in old notebooks it's impossible to keep track of all of 'em. The best/worst example of this would be a game known to me as Destiny, but known to everyone else as "Crap." A while back, I started writing out a redesigned version of Destiny (I actually already had one version of it on my site, but it was the crappiest game there... which is saying a lot, so I decided to remake it.)

So anyhow, I write out a nice chunk o' notebook for the battle system, start programming it... script doesn't work. Gave up, moved on, came back six months later, fixed it, found more bugs, and then I realized it wasn't fun to begin with.

The main mechanic I had behind it was that there was a certain attack that every character had that had a different effect based on what previous actions you took... I figured it would encourage strategically using different attacks instead of just your most powerful over and over again.

...It didn't. It was way too difficult to find a good combination of attacks, and usually, by the time you got to the attack that you wanted to use, you could've easily won using regular attacks.

I should've released it and called it Neopets 2.

Endless Horizon
  "It looks like I'm going to die as I have lived.... completely surrounded by morons!"
  -Bl. Mage
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 12, 2004 18:10
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I have drawn out three RPGs that are worth mentioning. These are Ganny's Adventure, the abandoned Fable of the Crystals, and current project Legend of the Sceptres.

Ganny's Adventure was originally thought of back in 1998 or so. The plot is rather strange: a penguin must save Antarctica from a bunch of evil sea lions. At first, it was very strange; new redrafts of the story included the Penguin Revolution (penguins kick out all the humans from Antarctica) and the formation of the Penguin Republic, which is then thoroughly bombarded by...sea lions. I never started working on this one, never will.

Fable of the Crystals I think I mentioned several times earlier in this forum. A dark wizard puts a curse on an anonymous world by destroying the planet's Core, and one hero who woke from the curse has to reassemble the Core and vanquish the evil mage. I started FotC on RPG Maker, but later abandoned it due to the obvious reason of stupidity and too many Core Shards.

Legend of the Sceptres is my newest idea, yet also really stupid and not yet started on. The idea is a slight remake of FotC: in a currently anonymous kingdom, the ancients left behind magical sceptres, which are strong by themselves, but can produce a weapon of might beyond belief if combined together. A neighboring empire knows of this tale, and decides to assail the kingdom not because of how strong they are, but because of how strong they might become. (did I just hear the words weapons of mass destruction?).

In any case, since none of my RPGs are ever going to have anything interesting in them, I may as well just go ahead and wait for FATE to come out. It'll probably be much better.

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------

Vote Kerry/Edwards in 2004! Re-Defeat Bush!

"We're making the right decisions to bring the solution to an end."
  ~43rd U.S. President George Dubya Bush
boyachi

Member #92

Aug 13, 2004 2:58
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hmm...The only really drawn out game that I made was last year: GATES.
  It all started as a farce game Idea, since Nintendo had Mario, Sega:Sonic, Namco:Pacman, but what of microsoft? Thus it was called GATES(get it Bill Gates? hoohum)
  It would be POV. The plot was that you'd be shot and fall into a ravine, however, as you where shot, your hands hit together in a certain way, activating weird powers that slowed your fall, the bullet passing through your side, and froze your blood. Death comes for you but realized that you are not dead, as you are supposed to be, since your body sent out 'the call.' However you have a fever(due to the fact you absorbed the energy from the loose blood, bullet, and your descent.)
  Thus you are taken to another demension to be studied, since after 325,345,467,245 times of the universe cycle, this happened for the first time. You are told quite little by the 'thing' healing you about your powers, when a super being, who is trying to ursurp death, kills it and almost you. Thus, you are transported to a central dimension with many gates to others. You have to either find yours or death to get you back home. However, the inhabitants of certain dimensions are not always friendly, and many people are after death for various reasons.
  The main cool feature would be the gloves you wear when you play the game. by hitting the backs of you hands together, you active your powers, the ability to absorb or(after absorbing) release energy. There would be certain movements that would make/do certain things. However, you would have to use a foot pad to move about, and the more you use your powers, the higher your body temperature becomes, which, would usually be bad, especially if it gets fatally high.
  So its not really D&D, but it would probably fall into the RPG category.
  What do you think?
  I think it would take a LONG TIME TO make it as big as I want it to be.

The New Dawn has risen. Are you the one to unlock it?
MadGoblin

Member #2

Aug 13, 2004 11:25

Nya-hah! People actually replied to this! And, even more, have some idea as to what I speak of!

Since the ball is a'rolling, I'll throw in my two cents with my huge spiel on: Quest, the stuff that'd take too long for anyone to read! Get on a pot o' joe for it, 'cuz it's ten years of history!

I had more quests than, well, Quest, tho', like... uh... Galofin. Okay, that was more or less Quest Jr. The premise was there was some evil guy/thing that had to be stopped, so you went to stop it out of the kindness of your heart (go, cheese game plots!). About the only things of note to come from it was "Ally for Sale", the store that sold allies, and "Crossbow Express", the item delivery service, along with its catch theme song!

Even older than Quest, tho' (yes, making it over ten years old), was "Legends of Idos"... or "Sword of Power"... or something like that. I dunno, our mother threw it away long ago when doing one of her cleanings of things she felt we no longer needed (plural 1st person for Ems and me). I have no idea what happened in it. I just remember that you were the Adventurer (You), there was a wizard named Zoal, a knight named Killex, possibly some gay elf guy in a fruity Peter Pan suit (as we all made elves back then), a Kingdom called Idos, and a volcano ridden land called Firestone (just like the tires!). The game featured my first invented race, the Forest Dwellers, to be the bad guys encountered in the woodlands since elves were too goodie-goodie to be bad. They were a race of purple people covered in spiked armor plates. Quite cool. The namesake of the game revolved around some legendary golden weapon that could shape change between being a sword or an axe (ie: the hilt would slide down and expand, extending the handle and shrinking the blade, 'til it looked like an axe).

Even older than that, however, is an unnamed game that I now have dubbed DungEscape, for the first level (and really the only level ever made) entirely was just you trying to get out of an evil dungeon. Why were you there? 'Cuz it was evil! Duh. The mechanics were rather lame and mainly followed doing things like saying "Shoot with arrow" or "Use red crystal" to get past the challenges in a room.

I don't think anything else I made got past the ground work, so that about wraps things up. Wait until Ems regals y'all 'bout his quest exploits. Now there'll be some heavy reading!
Kal

Member #127

Aug 14, 2004 6:22
E-Mail Web Site Master Account R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Oh yes, my chums and I invented a full set of pokémon rip-offs entitled 'Goggomon' there were about 20 altogether with stat increases and full move sets and a battle system that worked a charm. Joy. We also spent about 3 years devising how to have a war on paper. After about 6 attempts we finally got it right and I won! Ha!

Sad but highly entertaining. Except when the arguments started.

VISIT

HOOGLE
  S
EPPLES!

MadGoblin

Member #2

Aug 14, 2004 14:21

Well, now, I'd hate to be cruel with you, there, Kal, but... well, see that Monsta Killa link over there at the side? Yeah, I forgot about that little game of ours (Ems, Six Grey, and I) due to its newness.

I have one-hundred ten plus creatures made for it, each with at least three forms. And, you know, that's just the one's I've made. Six has near a hundred, too, and Ems got over fifty, I'd say.

That, and we've at least worked out four functional and entertaining ways so far to use them in games. But, um... yeah, I can't believe I forgot about them. Hah-hah... awkward Flat Mouth ...
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 14, 2004 22:51

Say MG, why don't you get RPG Maker 2003 and make your RPG? I looked over your rant, and it looks like it's quite possible.

Returning back to my unstarted Legend of the Sceptres, the only notable thing that I made so far is the emblem-based class system. At first, the three main characters have the classes of Squire, Arrowbearer, and Spirit Magician. After passing certain trials (parentheses indicate newly learned weapon types)...

Squire (swords) Arrow Knight (longswords) Arrow Swordsman (blades) Arrow Blademaster (magblades)

Arrowbearer (bows) Arrow Archer (longbows) Arrow Marksman (greatbows) Arrow Bowmaster (magbows)

Battle Magician (rods) Arrow War Mage (staves) Arrow Combat Spellsman (maces) Arrow Magimaster (wands)

Spirit Magician (rods) Arrow Spirit Mage (staves) Arrow Defense Spellsman (-) Arrow Spiritualist (wands)

Once reaching the third-level class, a character can change to a Regular Job, and can change to an Advanced Job at the final level. However, to obtain a job, you must sacrifice the correct amount of emblems, usually found from defeating enemies. You can job-hop, of course, but doing so will mean losing a lot of emblems, which actually have more uses than just to acquire jobs.

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------

Kal

Member #127

Aug 15, 2004 6:41
E-Mail Web Site Master Account R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Ahh, but did you develop comedy-esque voices and dances for them all!

VISIT

HOOGLE
  S
EPPLES!

MadGoblin

Member #2

Aug 15, 2004 8:27

Voices? Not really Crying

But dances? Evil Grin Move Go Dance Frenzy!

"I am undecided on who to win vote!"

"Crazy Trip-Hop Style!"
  * cue break-dancing Tur-Turtank *

Oh, how badly we need Flash...

Anyhoo, Lt., about the RPG Maker, I've never actually checked one out. I've just always assumed that they were more for the cookie-cutter RPG (not that there's anything wrong with that, as I've probably thought of making a lot of those), but there's just so many strange aspects in my games, that I'm not sure if it'd be makable in any means let alone in the RPGM.
  That, an' ah'ma cheaply poor! * does the poor dance, which is just lightly kicking out your legs just enough to avoid the barrel *

Oo, and what's FATE? The only thing I know by such name is that BD "Fehu: All Things End" dealie...
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 15, 2004 16:52

* uses the technique Strike on MadGoblin for blatant stupidity *

RPG Maker is not for the cookie-cutter RPG. It's actually pretty simple and the results look pretty professional. The only problem is that you cannot sell your games...but then again, who will? I mean, to tell you the truth, I'm still wondering if MintMan will be presenting all the BD games to a video game company should he choose to become employed in one of them (just not X-B*x).

And you don't have to buy an RPG Maker. That's what KaZaA is for. Smile

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------

Sword
msanis

Member #7

Aug 16, 2004 13:41
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Aug 16, 2004 13:41, msanis said:

The only "Quest" I have ever created was the "Quest for the Tacos of Power"; which is in an Roleplaying section in a forum I run. In it a mindless demon named Apocalypse randomely decided to go after the mythic "Tacos of Power", which grant any wish... and are also very tasty. His friend Wario (who is actually like THE Wario) joins him, but he must be constantly revived due to his blatant stupidity. Then there is a Demi-god named Shadowkhan who merely enjoys the pain and torture of his comrades... he is commonly seen with popcorn as horrific carnage begins.

The story can go on forever... as Apocalypse traveles the globe sending mindless ramblings (and horrific explosions) to all sites he visits.

I actually was starting to make a crappy looking comic out of it... I didn't make much yet though. Only the cover page and the character descriptions.

Cover Page

Wario Bio

The insignia of the Apocalypse engraved upon his blade. the day approaches...

[Editted by msanis on Aug 16, 2004 13:49]
boyachi

Member #92

Aug 16, 2004 15:17

Now why would you use kaaza? I mean honestly if you gotta pirate there are better programs out there. Everyone I know that uses kaaza has gotten problems from it. Plus its one of the few share systems that is on the media map.
  But yes, the main problem with making a game is actually making the game part. Don't laugh at that statement just yet. What I am saying is that you can plan and have it all out in paper(literally or documented by other means) but the programming and building of the game from there is what is so difficult. I mean, I can't even use a 3D flash animator! Heck I don't even have one anyway! That should be a required class nowadays...if only I had signed up for one of those classes...crap.

The New Dawn has risen. Are you the one to unlock it?
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 16, 2004 18:32

* uses the technique Strike on msanis for calling Wario troll-like and for not remembering about Wario's life before Wario's World *

Yes, true, KaZaA is not the best option. I just merely wanted to point out that you don't have to buy an RPG Maker.

...The only problem in RPG Maker lies in the fact that if you want to make custom battle animations, you're going to have to do a lot of work.

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------

Sword
writer77

Member #4

Aug 16, 2004 19:42

I think VinnyD said that he had downloaded the RPG Maker. He said it looked okay.

I asked him if it forced you to use a built-in battle system, and he said yes.

Although I'm not instantly condeming the RPG Maker, but generally, the most unique part of any RPG is the battle system. I mean, why don't you just write a story if you're not making the battle system?

Then again, if you get to choose the stats that are present in the game, it might not be so bad.

Endless Horizon
  "It looks like I'm going to die as I have lived.... completely surrounded by morons!"
  -Bl. Mage
VinnyD

Member #9

Aug 16, 2004 20:30
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Aye, I have downloaded it and it does look good, but where the f$#@ do I set the starting party position! Ive checked the events, I've looked in the database! I have no frickin idea. So LE, hurry up and tell me.
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 16, 2004 22:42

Calm down and listen, Vinny:

1. Switch to Event Layer. If done right, your field should be gridded.

2. Right-click on the square where you want party initial position, and select as "Party Start Position" or of the sort. There, you're done!

Oh, and yes, you do control the stats of the characters, writer. You can go with their preset four possibilities, which randomly puts it at Exceptional, Good, Fair, or Poor rating for a certain stat, or you can make it run by your own formulas.

The only problem is that you cannot create a new battle system. Still, I am trying to evade that by creating a field-battle system in LotS, similar to the new Fire Emblem on GBA. It will require a lot of work with events, but I think the result will be rather pleasing.

One major problem in RPGM is that there is a clear lack of human enemy characters. Also, you can split up skill types, but when you look in the menu it still shows them as one. That is, if you wanted to make someone know Black and White magic, the categories would be a separate selection in battle, but if you look in the menu, they will all be placed into one mix.

However, in the long run, I think that an RPG is possible to create with lots of work, patience, and consultation with an expert RPG Maker user. And that does not mean myself - I have merely mastered the basics.

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------

writer77

Member #4

Aug 17, 2004 1:33

Oh, yeah, I knew you could switch around what stats your character had. I meant whether or not you could choose which stats would be used. Like picking between having HP, MP, AT, DEF, and SPD or just having HP, MP, AT, and DEF.

That's a crappy example, but I think you might kinda get the point.

I still think programming it yourself would probably lead to better results, but I don't suppose that there is really anything that wrong with using an RPG Maker. I used RPG Maker for PS a while back... but the battle system stunk so bad...

Endless Horizon
  -Bl. Mage
MadGoblin

Member #2

Aug 17, 2004 7:48

And that'd be the clutch for me. No unique battle system, no game. I mean, generally, I invision most me games having a more SoM crossed with CT battle system (ie: you move actively on a scene crawling with baddies, and the attacks/spells you do affect an area and just hit instantly). But, hey, one step at a time.
  Then again, the game instantly groups black and white magic as separate catagories? Bleque! I don't even use B&W magic!

But, yeah, Kazaa is the tool of the devil and his idiotic minions. 'Tis the reason the compy I'm on right now had to be F-Disk over the course of three days! * fabricates a KaZaaBreakerHammer to ham up Kazaa *
  ... no, wait, that can't be right...

And, using Wario in a game? C'mon, dude! ... c'mon!
Sword
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Aug 17, 2004 11:39

The game does not group anything. You can have all your spells under one command "Techs" if you want, or you can choose to set a spell type for each tech. In LotS, I'm incoporating types like Battle Magic, Spirit Magic, Swordplay, and Archery, not to mention the job-particular ones like Fencing or Snipe.

...Also, you must use the four preset stats, which are ATK, DEF, MND, and AGL. Which brings up another major problem that magic resistance and weapon defense are not separated, which could...be a problem for some. Also, it is clear that Agility represents speed rating, but it is not clear whether Agility also represents evasion. All I know is that you can set different weapons to different hit chances and different critical-strike chances.

...And in MG's case, where you want a battle system that is nothing reminiscent of FF3, RPG Maker 2K3 is not for you. For a CT-like system, I think you'll be better off programming it yourself. I will just have to wish you luck doing that.

To sum it all up, if you want a very customized system, program it. If you don't care so much for the customization, stick with RPG Maker 2K or 2K3 if you want turn-based or real-time play, respectively. (RPGM2K system did not satisfy me because you don't see your own party during battle)

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Mar 28, 2024 14:03 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022