Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 29, 2024 10:37 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Tales of Symphonia impressions

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
msanis

Member #7

Jul 22, 2004 16:50
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I can't write a full-fledged review considering I haven't beaten this game yet... but I felt posting my impressions of the game thus far would be a worthy endeavor. Basically... this is an Action-Rpg that uses a Linear battle system. The game itself is part of the ongoing "Tales of..." series; which until recently wasn't very well-known. The main story of the game involves you (Lloyd) helping Collette fulfill her destiny as "The Chosen" (i'll get more into that in a bit). There are also many other side-stories which are present within this game.

The graphics in this game are Cell shaded, but not like the recent "Wind Waker style". The graphics are in an anime-like style. Of which; all models of the characters were drawn by the artist whom created the "Oh My Goddess!" series. Each character is unique, and looks rather interesting. Speaking of the main characters; there are a total of 9, but you can only have a total of 8 at any given time.

As for the characters... I suppose i'll list them here as well.

Lloyd Irving - The main character whom is helping Collette in her journey of World Regeneration as the "Chosen". He was adopted by a dwarf after his mother died being hunted by the Desians (half-elves). He has a distinct sense of bitterness towards Desians, but is otherwise a kind-hearted person that you would expect the main hero to be.

Collette Brunel - The heroine of the game. She is Lloyd's childhood friend and is also the "Chosen". The "Chosen" is a special person who must take a journey in an attempt to regenerate their world. While one world prospers... another suffers. Our heroes live on the world that is not regenerated. Collette's goal is to regenerate the world, but many people and creatures stand in her way.

Genis Sage - A Half-Elf (whom is not a Desian) that is also a friend of Lloyd's. He is a child-prodigy; possibly the smartest child in his world. Due to this; it wouldn't be particularly surprising to hear that he is the "mage" of this group. Due to his intelligence he often feels higher than others, and often remarks at Lloyd's constant stupidity.

Raine Sage - The sister of Genis; she often acts as the "mother" of the group. She is also a teacher, and just so happens to teach Lloyd, Collette, and Genis at her school. She is the typical "healer" o the group, but she does have some powerful "light" spells. As for her personality; she is practically psychotic around anything pertaining to archaeology. If she sees any relic; you shouldn't be surprised if you hear a maniacal laugh around the corner.

Kratos Aurion - A mercenary who was hired to protect Collette on her journey. He is very skilled, and thus maked Lloyd's swordsmanship pale in comparison. Along with swords; Kratos also has the ability to use all kinds of magic... he is a very useful character. He is a very quiet, and very logical person... who is often praised more than Lloyd for his skills (and thus makes Lloyd angry on many occasions).

I think i'll leave the rest of the characters up to your research. Wink

There is actual voice in this game, and it surprisingly sounds pretty good considering it has been dubbed from Japan. Some scenes that once had voice now lack it though. Many scenes contain voice, but not all. The voices fit the characters well though; because characteristics you would have expected from the personalities seem to be portrayed in the voices themselves. For instance:

*Lloyd after being poisoned in battle*
  Lloyd: "Collete... cure... the poison."
  Collette: "What? Oh, i'm not poisoned silly."
  Lloyd: "No... Not you... me."

The voices fit the attitudes very well. In this case; you get to see an extreme example of Collette's ditziness/stupidity.

Overall I rank this game pretty high on my list. I give it a 9.5 out of 10. The only reason I took a bit off was because some important scenes actually lack voices... whereas less-important parts actually have it. Other than that... it is perfect. Big Smile

The insignia of the Apocalypse engraved upon his blade. the day approaches...

[Editted by msanis on Jul 22, 2004 16:52]

[Editted by msanis on Jul 24, 2004 9:19]
boyachi

Member #92

Jul 23, 2004 24:47
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

heh...looks interesting, what I glanced over anyway. What is it for? Please don't tell me PC, I can't even get games from three years past on this guy. Better not be on GC, or saturn, or...3d0 real, atari jaguar, virtual boy or N-cage, dont have any of those, or import systems, cept for a pocketstation. I got that.

The Summer of the Dawn is here. However, Summer of the New Dawn shall be approaching... this summer.85%complete
draggy1234

Member #97

Jul 23, 2004 7:28
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I know it's on gamecube at least, and is also the game I'm trying to get (as soon as stores restock better and more frequently; one has currently sold out after only 10 copies Frown ).
Camo

Member #5

Jul 23, 2004 8:00
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Sounds good, might get it when its released in Australia in about 6 months. I'm actually thinkin bout gettin Gotcha Force, that game looks rad.

c*** me up scotty
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 23, 2004 17:10
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Why the 'ell would it be for 3DO, Jaguar, Saturn, or Virtual Boy? I mean, how long has it been since any of those systems had games come out? And who in the world would have a Virtual Boy or care about its games? Tongue

GameCube pwns, foo', but I do believe they also ported ToSymphonia to PS2, tho' I can't remember which version the RPG community says is suppose to be the better version...

Virtual Boy... pssh!
msanis

Member #7

Jul 24, 2004 9:17
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Uhhh... actually ToS is only for the Gamecube in the U.S. It IS being ported to the PS2 in Japan however... but that's about as far as that'll go (supposedly). Also; the PS2 port will be of far lesser graphical quality... as the PS2 can't use the shading techniques like the GC can. Though... I hear the PS2 version does have a few more animated cutscenes. Either way though; the GC version does seem better than the PS2 version (well... at this point).

The game is incredibly long. I have played a total of 23 hours at this point... and I feel as though I am far from complete... probably just past the 1/4 mark.

As for the popularity of ToS... it is just crazy. Stores have gone out of stock on the VERY day the game was released. There are very few stores even now (or so I hear) that have this game in stock. If you wanted this game, and you happen to come upon it in a store... I suggest you buy it right there... 'cause it'll likely be out of stock again soon.

I highly suggest this game to anyone who happens to be an Rpg fan. It is a very interesting Rpg... and the plot-twists are just crazy. Wink

The insignia of the Apocalypse engraved upon his blade. the day approaches...
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Aug 25, 2004 12:17
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, I got ToS when it was released and my impression is...impressed!

I've already beat it the first time through, but I've still got the bonus dungeon to beat before I do a new game+ thing.

That, and I need to get more GRADE. The grade system is cool. ^_^
draggy1234

Member #97

Aug 25, 2004 18:41
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah, as an incentive for players to actually fight well in battles. The only thing about the grade that wasn't so appealing to me was the costs of some of the purchasable bonus aspects. I have barely half the grade of the most expensive one, and I don't feel up to fighting at least a thousand more times just to rack up more grade on the same game file.

EDIT: Huh, what news for Gamecube owners of TOS. Dead Apparently, the PS2 version of TOS has new techs for the characters to use. Wonder if GC will eventually implement those into their version?

[Editted by draggy1234 on Oct 3, 2004 14:07]
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Mar 29, 2024 10:37 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022