Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 18, 2024 12:43 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: NDR... revealed!!!

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3  4 
VinnyD

Member #9

Jul 7, 2004 17:19
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Feel me wrath one who's post count is multple times mine despite my being several years your senior here!
  * uses the technique Aero-lance on boyachi out of malice *
  And that was a good trap website, wasn't nasty, scary, or funny, but it was retarded.

On another note, Damn Minty And His Secret Acronyms!!!

Aero-Swashbuckler
Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 7, 2004 18:42
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah, that Boyachi sure did fly up fast. I mean, I'm friggin' #2, being 90 members before him, am constantly around the forum, never leaving for long periods of time, and he's two thirds of my post number! That sez sumthin'!

* sets a secret VenomSting to catch boyo in his wicked ways *

*** Post 600 ***
Sword
boyachi

Member #92

Jul 7, 2004 19:31
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Congrats Gobbo, but VinnyD...400/254 is...1.574803149606...in short, not even two. However, I shall heal * uses the technique Heal as well as a good massage *
  Here's why we never knew what NDR was, it is German!
  http://www1.ndr.de/ndr/ndr_pages_idx/0,2571,SPM850,00.html

The Summer of the Dawn is here. However, Summer of the New Dawn shall be approaching... this summer.85%complete
Sword
Blade

Member #99

Jul 8, 2004 3:46

What did it say?
  * uses the technique Blast on boyachi for making me go to a german website *

Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again. One fight. One more step on the path to becoming a true warrior!---Ryu

Sword
VinnyD

Member #9

Jul 12, 2004 10:32
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Ahhh, so the real meaning is now in new ads. Nidfells' Dragon rises? What does that mean? Attributes... Magics... other stuff? Gah, these clues are useless.

Aero-Swashbuckler
Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 12, 2004 10:49

What does that mean? What does that mean?

Oh, wait, is even VinnyD, with all his aged-ness, too newbie to know what it means? It makes me wonder... oo oo. It makes me wonder.

* While humming the rest of Stairway to Heaven, sets a secret VenomSting for his own good *

Why be sane?
Sword
Battalon127

Member #25

Jul 12, 2004 11:03
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

...and she's buyying a stairrway... to heaven...
  Let's hear it for the seventies, back when music was good!

Since some people at the forums in the past few days I was gone seem to have stopped thinking much (if, indeed, they ever thought to begin with) I will point out that the above mentioned banner clearly says Battling Dragons 4.0 which is obviously what NDR is all about. It makes sense to anyone who pays attention to what Minty says, since 4.0 is supposed to be such a revolution in BD.

* plants a virtual heavenlystairway tree * There, now you can have your own starway to heaven Gobbo.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

A Elbereth Gilthoniel o menel palan-diriel, le nallon
sí di-nguruthos! A tiro nin, Fanuilos!
Sword
VinnyD

Member #9

Jul 12, 2004 12:24

Or... is it that we are all too newb to have developed telepathy to find out what he is planning to do with that name. And yes, I saw the 4.0 thing, but if you see the banner you'd get that anyway.

Aero-Swashbuckler
Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 12, 2004 14:39

Ya dun need telepathy, VD (huh-huh). I suppose it won't ruin anything to tell, so I might as well.

You see, everyone-who-isn't-Ash10-or-Camo, back in the day, when RE was young, simple, and squishy, and BD was an equally infantile squish-face, there was no Nidhogg. The sole adaptable creature back then was one of the name Nidafells' Dragon, which is a pseudo-name for the 'Hogg. Of course, it was the exact same thing as the current Niddie, except since there was only one master at the time, it entirely lacked the phenotype of "dragon", which it earned as soon as "Dragon" was removed from it's name. I mean, c'mon. It'd look stupid to say a dragon was dragon typed, right?

All <3 to CC with this inappropriate linkage! ... Beware pr0n! :O
Sword
Ice

Member #46

Jul 12, 2004 15:31
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Is it just me, or did that banner actually say "0 magic" in it somewhere? It was near the left side, I remember, but each time I look at it, I'm just seeing 0.

Also, if you're unable to catch or volley an item thrown at you, why are the commands still listed there?
  * out of spite, picks a virtual heavenlystairway instead of being able to party with my party. *

°(o.o)° (c) Ethereal Enterprises, 2004
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Jul 12, 2004 15:41

* weighs whether to attack Gobbo, and uses the technique LandSmite on MadGoblin since the tree is currently empty * What the fruit are you babbling about, boy? You should not speak for the history of Battling Dragons as you did not even play it until you made Kamaitachi sometime in RE Year 3.

Okay, here is the real low-down. BDv1.0 came out July 9th, 1999 during RE Year 1, and it was not even called Battling Dragons yet, but rather the R.E. Adoption Center. BD was a tenative name I had thought for it, and somehow, it ended up being a permanent one. It was based around a monster I had read about and searched for everywhere that appeared in the Voluspa at Ragnarok, the Norse equivalent of the apocalypse. It was largely just a li'l animated Nidafells' Dragon of which less than ten were adopted. I actively searched on how to get the thing to grow through hits.
  An Egg animation was made as well, as well as two attacks for it to use, Bounce and Shell. It only appeared in a JavaScript "game" I made that is now the training game largely due to the fact that I had believed JScript would be able to have write access to a site. I knew very little back then, and not having a CGI Bin, that option meant very little to me.
  There was also a SwiftWing animation, but I do not think it was used anywhere on the site. You could not get a hatchling in the game, and the adoptable had no randomizing feature.

BDv2.0 came out as soon as I moved to VirtualAvenue on the one-year anniversary of RE. It still featured only the Nidafells' Dragon, but now in a JPEG format which until last year, was still featured on this site (albeit much improved with Photoshop). The new version included an automated sign-up form and a monster that could not only grow, but battle as well. Still having a firm hold on its adoption center roots, you needed a web site to sign-up. This is how battles occured; web sites. The monsters would actually battle on your web site; with each view, a round of battle would progress, which consisted of every attack being used at once. The attributes had improved from the old life, strength, arcane, and defense to the nine you know today; however, magic, speed, strike, and agility were not even used.
  Well, the web site thing turned out to be a huge bust as idiots would sign up with a non-existant web site or not place their monster on their web site, and battles would get into eternal dead locks. Thus, I had to remove challenge links on the adopt list and on member account viewings in favour of relying on the adoptable as the soul source of a challenge. I also gave into reality and let non-web site owners sign up. This meant that only one side needed to own a web site.

Well, v2 had a ton of bugs in its leveling and upgrading. Such things as poison and confusion would be impossible under its system. I knew this full well, so when VA crashed right before the start of RE Year 3, I seized the moment to make a new version of Battling Dragons -- not even one year after the previous.

When releasing BDv3.0, I decided also to take care of the Nidafells' Dragon's name. I had been able to confirm that it in fact was the same thing as the serpent that gnawed the roots at the bottom of the world tree, which made no sense to me as a subterranean serpent seemed to have little use for wings. At any rate, I changed its name to the rightful Nidhogg. I also took this opportunity to collapse the two monster statistics Elements and Phenotypes into just plane Elements again. I had for some reason that it would be a good idea to not only make a distinction between the Nidafells' Dragons Dark and Dragon types, but also to put them under two seperate data fields. Well, I guess the idea sorta sucked up a storm once Hrimfaxi approached as the Dew Drop had no phenotypes, so the category was rid of.
  Nidhogg has always been a Dark Dragon; Gobbo is just on some wack-crack.

And that is pretty much the entire history of BD. More monsters came, the battle system was put onto Cronjobs rather quickly for scheduled fighting instead of whenever-a-site-gets-a-hit-fighting. The problem is -- despite all three had done -- it was still made trying to rectify flaws of two that turned out to be larger flaws themselves. Actually doing something with magic and adding a normal attack where the two greatest flaws. The original BD had no typeless elemental, and it had no need for normal attacks. There was no magic, so you just used your spells. Back then, everything had to start with something damaging, so it worked out. It was just trying to get balance out the power of moves which was a problem.
  Another inherited flaw of BD has always been that it started as an entirely non-strategic game; there was no AI to set. You just attacked with full-force at all times. It later evolved in v3 so that you could choose your next attack, and that was all the strategy needed. As more was added to BD, strategy became a more important concept, but the backwater battle system could not account for this.

No normal attack. No magic. Actual strategy.... yep, that's all you really need to expect from BDv4.0.
Sword
LeeTupper

Member #42

Jul 15, 2004 2:30
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

EDIT: Curses! Every time I post, I always get nailed by something, and need to edit. Namely, my skimming, and forgetting page two for this. Sigh.

* uses the technique Guard on MintMan for secrecy *

What is this arcane desert?- My current english teacher
  Do I dare ask why this looks like a potato chip?-my 7th grade english teacher, with a destroyed piece of homework

[Editted by LeeTupper on Jul 15, 2004 2:37]
Sword
Ice

Member #46

Jul 15, 2004 4:01
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

* fabricates a up *

No normal attack and no magic? No problem!

I always thought the normal attack and magic were ways of preventing neverending battles between, say hrims using non-damaging moves on each other. Oh well.

Sword
boyachi

Member #92

Jul 15, 2004 4:04

Um...Lee...what did you not edit? I mean, why didn't you just delete the post.
  Does this mean that you don't want dance midis?
  Joking.

The Summer of the Dawn is here. However, Summer of the New Dawn shall be approaching... this summer.85%complete
Sword
Ice

Member #46

Jul 15, 2004 4:06

Tag team!

* throws a up at MintMan for not making this more exciting *

Nothing personal, but it doesn't sound like you're changing much, other than the two small things mentioned at the end.

Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 15, 2004 9:31

Not changing much? Not changing much? Do you realize how great of a difference those changes are?

He pretty much skimmed it, but those are huge impacts. For starters, magically inclined creatures no longer hold the upper hand on all battles, for, with no magic, all monsters can use the same amount of their Spells (were before you'd have someone like Tatz' running out of its good juice while something like 'Hogg would have a lot of heavy damaging non-basic-attacking left in it). It's now no-holds-bar death. Anyone can defeat anyone as long as they plan out their moves right.

I'm not sure how much I can say about, seeing how I pretty much know it all and am not sure how much Ems would want me to spoil, so I'll just say that ya ain't right. These changes will revolutionize BD as much as the jump from 1.0 to 2.0!

Why be sane?
Ice

Member #46

Jul 15, 2004 10:52

Well, for a starter, since I've only ever had Mista, my Hrimfaxi, I never really experienced any issues with magic loss before. As for choosing the correct moves, are we talking a large difference from the five move system now? I suppose if you could set an entire battle's worth of commands, and perhaps save them, then that would be a nice addition... basically then you could make a moveset for each creature and then just pick who you're fighting and leave it with that. But I suppose I've simply not been terribly active in this to realize what would happen.

boyachi

Member #92

Jul 16, 2004 1:23

Wait...not that I am saying I know jack about BD, but isn't that called "setting your own AI before the battle?" I mean, I do that. Thought everyone did.
  * uses the technique Heal on MintMan with a complementary unused tissue *

Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jul 16, 2004 10:03

Boyo is correct. Shocking, no?

However, instead of it merely being something as short and sweet as "stat-up, power spell 2~3 times, attack endlessly", it'll be more thought out things that, in fact, will form cycles of acts rather than linear spans of commands.

Ems did actually right a huge explanation of NDR here, but the compy fritzed before he could submit it and an hour of explanation was flushed down the crapper. But, Ems is being a git and doesn't want me saying anything about it still. $5 says that'll it'll bugger up again the next time he tries to write it
VinnyD

Member #9

Jul 16, 2004 10:57

Hah, even Minty forgets to copy before posting, or maybe his computer just sucks. Oh well, and on another note, blank takes too god damn long to learn. I know it is suposed to, but that makes it completely useless! I dont get the advantage it gives you. Just because it takes so long I'm never going to use it again.
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3  4 
Apr 18, 2024 12:43 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022