Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 23, 2024 22:13 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Gamefaqs Best Game Contest

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3  4 
boyachi

Member #92

Jun 5, 2004 12:47
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Ok...who wants the honors of explaining this virus thing. I don't want to be the one to do it.* uses the technique Guard against being the one to explain it all * Oh, and FF9 has lots of laugh out loud parts, if you ask me.

The Summer of the Dawn is here. However, Summer of the New Dawn shall be approaching... this summer.80%complete

[Editted by boyachi on Jun 5, 2004 13:09]
Sword
Lunar_Mage

Member #148

Jun 5, 2004 14:51
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, it seems that it is going to come down to Chrono Trigger vs. Final Fantasy 7. If anyone is suprised, I've got a bridge to sell you. * fabricates a bridge for someone with too much money on their hands *
Sword
VinnyD

Member #9

Jun 5, 2004 21:43
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Predictable if you ask me. Wait you asked me earlier, and I said almost the opposite, well erhm.... I guess this post won't be a total waste...

* uses the technique Steal on Lunar_Mage's bridge , with style! *

Chris: What is a blowhole for dad?
  Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for son, and then you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Sword
Camo

Member #5

Jun 5, 2004 23:15
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Great soundtracks? Obviously you havn't played donkey Kong Country or Mario games!
  I also like big bad bosses that continually carry over, like Bowser, Dr Robotnik, Gannon, you know those kinda enemies.
Sword
LeeTupper

Member #42

Jun 7, 2004 9:30
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Here's some cons:
  1: The cheat for Chocobo racing makes it crazily simplistic.
  2: The KotR summon murders near anything, really draining the challenge.
  3: There are quite a few characters who nobody even ever touches upon when playing the game.
  4: Materia sucks all of the uniqueness out of a character, making the only differences limit breaks, thus the reason to only use certain people.
  5: Popeye arms and sausage link snakes. 'nuff said.
  6: It's gonna win because GFAQs is a bunch of FF Fanboy A-holes.
  7: The Phoenix+ dieing attack really is broken.

What is this arcane desert?- My current english teacher
  Do I dare ask why this looks like a potato chip?-my 7th grade english teacher, with a destroyed piece of homework
Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jun 7, 2004 11:04
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Okay, Lee, those are all good points, but I'd like to counter sum o's dem, if yas dun mind.

1) Yes, KotR is super cool and powerful. Thing is, how many people do you know who found it WITHOUT consulting an FAQ? Personally, I discovered it thru a friend who scoured the ocean in search of islands/being lost/bordom. And, even assuming someone found it, they'd still have breed a Chobocobo baby!!! correctly to even reach it sans the chance that they luck the air craft into landing there (which said friend had a strategy guide for breeding them).

Some secrets are meant to be omnipotently powerful in games, its just that you are expected to earn the right to use them and not just pull how to off from on-line. Ah, the internet: the downfall to videogames...

2) Don't try to tip-toe around saying "some characters are never used", for we all know who you're speaking about. Frankly, Cait Sith and Red XIII were my most favorited people from that game. So cool! Even Yuffie began to grow on me after some years, for reasons I still am not quite sure of... Meh.

3) Popeye is cool. His arms are cooler. For it's time, those graphics were gnarly. Even still, I think it carries a bodacious style to live on for ages. Ack, been playing too much Totally Rad lately... dude. Ah, damn it!

4) I don't remember what else you said and am too lazy to check. Oo! You got served!

Anyhoo, I know I'm not voting in the FFVII vs CT poll. I just could never choose. Both games... so good... If I were to vote for one, then the other one would know I was cheating on it and seeing another awesomely great RPG, and I can't betray their turst by letting them know I betrayed their trust like that!
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 7, 2004 12:08

* uses the technique Strike on LeeTupper about the head * The Hel do you mean Materia takes out all of the individualization from characters? The sphere system of FFX took out all of the individualization from characters (if you played long enough, at least); Materia can change a lot, but the basic stats of characters still more than shine through.

I mean, there are HP, MP, Magic, and Luck altering materia, but there are no ways to make your characters stronger; only weaker by keeping off a lot of magic materia.

Also, all hail Vincent Valentine and Cait Sith, teh Kings of Final Fantasy!
Sword
writer77

Member #4

Jun 7, 2004 12:43
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Vincent and the Cat!? That's who I used!

Not that that matters, or anything. Thing I always hated was that there was only one person completely dedicated to magic use in the whole game... I still wish that FFVII hadn't won the whole thing. I mean, good game and all, but Best. Game. Ever.?

Anyhow, anyone else think that Starcraft should've made it as far as it did? Beating Wind Waker, then losing to Super Smash Bros.: Melee.

Endless Horizon
  "It looks like I'm going to die as I have lived.... completely surrounded by morons!"
  -Bl. Mage
Sword
boyachi

Member #92

Jun 7, 2004 21:55

Ok, first off, the best trio would probably be Cloud, Barret... and depending on how good you are at slots, Tifa or Cid. Actually Aeris rocks, but you know how that works...
  Next, no offense MintMan, but you don't strike me as the kind of person that would clock over 100 hours in for FFX. That is just about how long it took me to get max strength for Tidus. I only stopped because months ago a friend borrowed both X and X-2 from me. It is however impossible to get absolute perfect stats for everyone in X. Unless the international version has more spheres, which I somehow doubt. If anyone doubts this, check my friggin site, I checked the math on the american version at least four times. However, once you get up that high, the small stats don't really matter, only the overdrives, really. In which I would use Tidus, Yuna...and Lulu.
  Because of their overdrives.

The Summer of the Dawn is here. However, Summer of the New Dawn shall be approaching... this summer.85%complete
Sword
Ishamael

Member #142

Jun 9, 2004 24:00

If the mateia system takes to individuality out of characters so does:
  The Job system (FFV), as each character can have each job
  The Esper system: (FFVI), as each character can learn every single spell
  The Junction system: (FFVIII), as each character has equal stats, roughly, and a good player will balence his good junctions so that their players are versitile
  The Dresssphere system: (FFX-2), as each character can have each dresssphere (just like jobs)

Odd thing about my preferences: for some reason I HATE the job system, yet find the Dressspheres cool, even though they're more or less the same...maybe I'm just crazy...

When summer comes, the gym will become better, as will my understanding of JavaScript. Dumb school taking up all my time since March. Gym is about 5% complete.

Sword
NuoTrainer

Member #33

Jun 9, 2004 10:09
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

And it seems Final Fantasy VII did in fact take the win.
  Despite the fact that Chrono Trigger owns everything, Cloud Strife simply has too many fanboys (by which I mean fans of any gender, particularly the stupid ones). The guy had cube hands, for Pete's sake, I don't see why so many people fall over themselves wondering if he could beat Squall or Batman or something equally ludicrous.

Ironically, my own entry into this contest predicted months ago that CT and FFVII would go into the semifinal and that VII would come out on top. Damn I hate being right.

Anta ga otosh'ta no wa Kin no Ono ka na?
Sword
Lunar_Mage

Member #148

Jun 9, 2004 11:28
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah, it's pretty much guaranteed that in this, or the best character contest, the only games/characters that ever have a chance of winning are Chrono Trigger, a Final Fantasy *coughsevencough*, or a Legend of Zelda. Everything else is trampled by raging hoards of fanboys like me...
Sword
writer77

Member #4

Jun 9, 2004 12:17

I think the materia system takes out the unique-ness 'cause you can just switch materia to another person and they essentially become the same as the person who had the materia before hand. Of course, that's only from a skill point of view. In FFVI, you couldn't just transfer the spells from one to another, so they were kinda unique. Also, they each had their own set of special skills that they could use. In FFV, you could make them unique. Of course, if you gain enough XP, it takes the uniqueness away in pretty much every FF game.

Endless Horizon
  "It looks like I'm going to die as I have lived.... completely surrounded by morons!"
  -Bl. Mage
Sword
Kal

Member #127

Jun 9, 2004 12:56
E-Mail Web Site Master Account R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yeah, materia did take some individuality out of the characters but don't forget limit breaks, ultimate weapons, long range characters, un-materiable stats etc.

I am an obsessive VII fan and I stand by my numerous votes. However, it is always going to be a matter of opinion and there will never be a true best. game. ever. that everyone can agree on but it is my personal opinion that VII is the best.

*Dances like a maniac.*

VISIT

HOOGLE
  S
EPPLES!

Sword
boyachi

Member #92

Jun 9, 2004 13:06

I am a Cloud fanboy, I am drooling over Advent Children.
  That aside, has anyone noticed in FFX, depending on who you use the most(girl wise) is who throws the ball to tidus for his final overdrive? It was lulu, but after a while it became Yuna. I don't know if it is ever Rikku, though.
  BUT WTF does graphics have to do with how good a game is?
  MintMan, nothing personal, but the fact that stuff isn't even moving on you site games(as in constant movement) would make it that unacceptable, if graphics were the main problem for a game. Graphics are like codes. You don't need them to make a good game. Take...Super Mario 3, or all the frikkin Zelda games. Does everyone remember the remarks about "Celda?" I do, and look how high of a vote it got.
  I still hate gamecube with a passion because of its controllers and the fact that they changed the physics and characters in SSBM, but it has had some good games.
  Oh, and usually, the who will win is Batman VS. Spiderman. Batman has beaten Superman every time that I can remember, so you be the judge. I say that if it was more than a single round, Batman would be garunteed the win.

The Summer of the Dawn is here. However, Summer of the New Dawn shall be approaching... this summer.85%complete
Sword
Camo

Member #5

Jun 9, 2004 18:52
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Spiderman is way better then Batman, I dont follow those kind of vote win things, but I'd say Batman only ever won cause at the time of vote he probobly just released a new movie or something... Havnt seen new batman movies for a while now, Spiderman on the other hand is tearing up the movies and stuff, plus he has Kirstin Dunst, I think a new pole would give Spidey victory.
Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jun 9, 2004 20:30

Wowowowowowowait! You sayin' that the materia system rendered individuality non-existant? Okay, the characters still had some pretty wide stretches in stats. Not to mention specific weapon usage, ya know.

Now, if you want to talk about non-individuality, what do you call the JOB system? You know, the thing in more than one FF? With that, every character was a blank slate that could be arranged in anyway the player saw fit. Now, that is making characters nameless.

And, of course FFVII and CT would be last. That's not an amazing prediction. Since both are praised as the greatestest games ever, and the contest was for the greatestestest, DUH they'd win!
Sword
writer77

Member #4

Jun 10, 2004 11:05

MG, if you're talking to me, I just said as far as skills go. You can switch materia amongst people and give someone else the exact same spells as another person just had. I think that's what I meant, anyhow...

I dunno, I always liked FFIV the best. Too bad I only have the PS version. The load times are idiotic on that crappy disc.

Endless Horizon
  -Bl. Mage
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Jun 10, 2004 12:09

Shock. Three whole seconds. That load time is intolerable.

What, so being able to make your party have whatever abilities you want is wrong? Well, yeah, I guess that is against the entire foundation of Final Fantasy in which you freakin' made a party of four people to whatever specifications you desired. New FFs just let you change at mid-point.

Also, Batman will the Spydorr. In fact, Batman can defeat any other comic character ever -- even Superman. It all has to do with him being the world's greatest detective. He can freakin' fabricate kryptonite, people! Nothing can stop him, and his movies will hurt him more than help (the third and beyond, at least). Spidey has got a mad movie following, especially with this next one coming that promises to rock. Go Doc Ock!
Sword
writer77

Member #4

Jun 10, 2004 22:08

On Jun 10, 2004 12:09, MintMan said:

What, so being able to make your party have whatever abilities you want is wrong?

Er, I never said that. Someone had said before that in FFV and FFVI, the characters weren't unique either. All's that I said was that the characters had much more differences in skills between 'em when compared to FFVII. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, because it is nice to sometimes be able to trade materia back and forth.

Endless Horizon
  -Bl. Mage
Sword
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3  4 
Apr 23, 2024 22:13 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022