Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 28, 2024 14:14 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Forum Face-Lift

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
boyachi

Member #92

Apr 21, 2004 21:10
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

This will get you some posts!
  I didn't really understand last time, what is Arena Terrae?

The Summer of the Dawn is here. However, Summer of the New Dawn shall be approaching... this summer.
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 21, 2004 23:16
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

You never heard of Arena Terrae? Dude! Arena terrae (that's uh-RAY-nah TAYR-iy) is Latin for either "world arena" (big shock there) or "sands of the earth". More specifically, it is (or was) a big multiplayer game on RE spanning back to the days before it was even on its Freedom2Surf servers -- months before the second anniversary!
  In it, you made a team. You could quite literally customize everything about it: what the members looked like (the images used), what their stats were, what special moves they had, what weapons they used, and even what their base of operations looked like. It was simply kill-everyone-else sorta play, and the longer you stayed on the happier side of that equation, the more power (albeit more exhausted) you became.

F2S did have the bandwidth to support it, but after my real host of VirtualSuckage crashed, I was forced to relocate all of my files to that server. Inactivity after the crash (the biggest slum in RE history) and memory constrainsts forced me to get rid of it -- the last decent host for AT ever.
  Not even a year later, that host dried up and I had to come here. Around that time, the bloke over at FracturedReality offered me some really sweet hosting for no good reason, and for reasons I do not even think he understands (or knows about, for that matter), his services crashed. Since then, AT has been hopping around, host to host, each on lasting only a very short time. The most recent host actually died on the day AT was announced to be resurrected!

That was AT. Two new ATs are slated for creation. AT:Special is a long sought-after deviation from the original in which you can raise armies of golems -- not just a team -- and you quite literally try to conquer the world, not just through fighting, but also through dominating markets of trade in ore and the precious crystal needed for the golem's functionality. The big advantage of this is that it could be made into slow-play like other RE games, thus bypassing the entire fault of high bandwidth consumption.

Although under consideration, Special could not be made until first is made ArenaTerrae:Remix, an entirely JavaScript made game. Unlike the others, it would have no multiplayer capability to it, but rather be one person versus an artificial intelligence. It is being developed with a very open engine for use in AT:Special and other RE games.
  The biggest beef with Remix, however, is an idea I am stealing from my workplace which I have dubbed QOTH. It is a system through which any ol' person anywhere, at any time, can check-out aspects of the game, modify them, and then submit them to be integrated into the game on RE. Now, they could add images, weapons, terrains, custom-special moves, enhanced coding features, better or specialized AI scripts -- anything really goes. The way I figure it, if I am making an entirely JavaScript game that anyone could steal, might as well make 'em work for me a bit with it.

Currently, AT:Remix has only BW and FtRPG ahead of it. It is coming along frighteningly well at that. Hoo-ray, AT!

So I hope that teaches you: never ask questions about the history of RE... because then I rant and never shut up Tongue
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Apr 22, 2004 9:17
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Apr 21, 2004 23:16, MintMan said:

The biggest beef with Remix, however, is an idea I am stealing from my workplace which I have dubbed QOTH. It is a system through which any ol' person anywhere, at any time, can check-out aspects of the game, modify them, and then submit them to be integrated into the game on RE. Now, they could add images, weapons, terrains, custom-special moves, enhanced coding features, better or specialized AI scripts -- anything really goes. The way I figure it, if I am making an entirely JavaScript game that anyone could steal, might as well make 'em work for me a bit with it.

Currently, AT:Remix has only BW and FtRPG ahead of it. It is coming along frighteningly well at that. Hoo-ray, AT!

Hrm, sounds like a very nice plan, having other people develop scripts, etc. allows things that just aren't possible for one person to do alone. AI scripts could be made fiendishly tough.
  * eats a virtual pie *
Sword
MadGoblin

Member #2

Apr 22, 2004 11:33

I can't believe you never heard of AT, Boyo! In fact, I'm pretty sure there's some version of AT floating around somewhere hidden on R.E., unless Ems deleted it when he found out that it still existed Slanted Mouth
  Which, I'm pretty sure he did seeing how it just sorta faded out with total neglect that time... of course it was only released to the knowledge of forum members which really was tying the noose then, right?

Well, I know this will make you remember it, Boyachoie-boy!
  Gababa-hey! Wakawaka-whoo!
  Chiminichimini-bonko!
  * throws a virtual Anti-noob at boyachi *

Lair of Mad Goblin - Why be sane?

Sword
Battalon127

Member #25

Apr 22, 2004 13:37
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Between FtRPG and the return of Arena Terrae, this summer/fall/whenever could turn out pretty good. I wish I had been around for the original, but the take-over-the-world thing really has me psyched. I wish I had a real army of golems. Or midgets. Yeah, I'll take over the world with an army of midgets!!!
  Oops I mean, little people.

Say, what happens to an item if it is not caught within 4 posts? Does it just disappear? * eats a virtual beer thinking wait, shouldn't I be drinking this? *

"I've always liked helping people"
  "No Kelso, you like humping people"
  "Sometimes humping IS helping, Eric"
   ~Eric Forman and Kelso, That 70's Show

If something's too hard, give it up. The moral is, never try. ~Homer Simpson
Sword
boyachi

Member #92

Apr 22, 2004 13:44

CURSE YOU Battalon127! Posting seconds before I volley!!!
  * catches the Anti-noob *
  Geez!
  I heard of the ressurection. I have been at this site for a long time, but it was quite a awhile, over a year later, when I got on the forum.

The Summer of the Dawn is here. However, Summer of the New Dawn shall be approaching... this summer.
Sword
writer77

Member #4

Apr 22, 2004 16:54
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

* picks a virtual ftRPG *

I am so bored.

This new system is interesting yet confusing. For some reason, it wouldn't open the "console" without me typing in my account name and password.

Any reason for that?

Endless Horizon
  "It looks like I'm going to die as I have lived.... completely surrounded by morons!"
  -Bl. Mage
Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 22, 2004 19:48

Um, yes. Your user name and password are sorta required to make the console since it is customized to your personal inventory and command list.

Don't catch, item disappears. Also, the person gets hit by it and receives two points of damage (which is displayed in the advanced console coming up).

FtRPG? Not much for interesting, but it will be a good distraction at the forums. AT? Yeah, that should prove to be some fun, but I think the of things will be coming from the other biggies planned, which I cannot even begin to mention less worlds explode!

What, having people make scripts for a job too big to do alone? No, that is not the idea at all! The project is incredibly simple to do alone. The extra help is just to add special customizations remnant of its originals as a game played with Legos. Man, back then, special moves were limitless! In fact, in Remix, they will be, too, as you will be able to JS your own special moves if you so wish it. I am still going to have to think of a way to moderate people from doing ultimate things, tho'.
Sword
boyachi

Member #92

Apr 22, 2004 21:29

Lego, Lego, Lego, Legoman!
  Hey Camo, remember that?
  I still have all of those songs, ha ha ha.* throws a Camo at Camo *I think they are great. I hope this filler text is working. Hmmmm... I think I should have eaten Camo, but oh well. Will Arena Terrae actually have legos? Prolly not. That would be funny though, it would be like the gummis in Kingdom hearts. Wow! I almost forgot that the sequel is being made!
  Arena Terrae sounds like fun, I wonder how many times we will have to type it in before the server crashes yet again because of it being mentioned?

Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 23, 2004 2:27

Well, technically, that is why your team is made up of golems that stand no more than three inches tall. They borrow from the whole it-is-from-a-game-that-my-brothers-and-I-played-with-Legos motif.

I guess it is also worth mentioning that you collect clay heads, torsos, arms, and legs in order to build more golems on your team. Unfortunately, not every golem is required to have yellow skin, a dopey smile, and no hair...
  .... Lego Head! Arrow Smile
Battalon127

Member #25

Apr 23, 2004 13:40

Heh heh, sorry boyachi. I had no idea you were on then or I woulda waited.
  Other biggies? Worlds collide? Has MintMan discovered some sort of gravity generator? Or maybe a multi-dimensional travel machine...

draggy1234

Member #97

Apr 23, 2004 21:49
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Speaking of volleying, say that an item was thrown, and then volleyed on the next post. Would the post after the volley also get a chance to volley again if that post was made by the target of the volley, or could the person only catch the item then?

And since Battalon asked for this some time ago...

* throws a rockball at Battalon127 * Big Smile
Sword
Lunar_Mage

Member #148

Apr 23, 2004 22:48
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

For Forum: The RPG, when a volley is made, is catch time reduced by one each time, like three posts, than two, than one? Or is it a set value?
  Also, does Kingdom Hearts have characters from multiple games or something in it? I am too busy with other games to find out.
  * fabricates a pokeball *
Sword
Cheetarius

Member #10

Apr 23, 2004 22:49
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Oooh, fun.

Having RP commands for a forum... lol, definitely seems original. Let's try some out. Big Smile
  * fabricates a macadamianutcookie *

Lol, you can't edit your post to eat the cookie afterwards. Frown

- Cheetarius, Saphire Leader

[Editted by Cheetarius on Apr 23, 2004 22:50]
Sword
boyachi

Member #92

Apr 24, 2004 12:45

What!?!
  CLOUD STRIFE
  SEPHIROTH
  AERIS
  YUFFIE
  SQUALL(leon)
  ALL THE FRIKKIN DISNEY CHARACTERS!!!!!
  FINAL FANTASY GAMES!!! ARRRRRRR!!!!
  *gives Lunar_Mage a one way ticket out of the cave*

Battalon127

Member #25

Apr 24, 2004 14:41

* catches the rockball and stifles a cry as every bone in his hand shatters *
  Geez draggy, how hard did you throw that thing? I hope this "catch works, the rockball didn't show up in my local inventory so I just wrote it in.

Edit: Never mind. Stupid me, I didn't do my homework. I guess you aren't supposed to write what you're sposed to catch. Nervous

[Editted by Battalon127 on Apr 24, 2004 14:44]
Sword
draggy1234

Member #97

Apr 24, 2004 16:35
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Meant to throw it like the way you play "catch" with other people. Guess it accidentally turned out a fastball. Big Smile

BTW, when there's a 4-post time limit for catching an object, is it any 4 posts, or 4 posts from 4 different people. Because on a side note, I could've posted earlier and ruined battalon's catch. However, I just wanted to be a good sport (yeah, right).
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 24, 2004 16:56

Well obviously any four posts would do; if it took someone four of thier own posts to getting around to catching something, there is a serious problem.

Since volleying reduces catch time by one, it also reduces the time you get to volley by one, and since volleying already has a one-post time-limit, you cannot volley a volley. If you could, volleying battles would break out, and there would be a formulaic way to instantly win it.
  Rather, two people could team up, volleying until the time just about ran out, and then hit someone else with it. That would not be fair at all, now would it?

Throw show up in your inventory? You do not get what is thrown at you until you make a catch and only if you do.
  And you do not have to edit your post to eat what you catch or fab; you can do it in the same run of things. Nothing stops you from making a TubOfButter and eating it right away; you cannot use the RP console to type it all out for you, but you still can do it.

When this post started out, things were going so well; no one was editting posts like when trees and picking came out. Do not edit your posts! I made a near fool-proof system of RPing. Don't wonder if your post worked; assume that it did 'cause if it did not, you shall receive an error message and get a chance to correct it.

Now, on the matter of FtRPG, classes and techniques were going along fine until they snowballed in a giant, big-bad, bad, big thing... of giant snowball-ness Dot Mouth Yeah, I think that made sense. It is working, tho', no matter how cryptic and complex.
  Once released, it will take a while for everyone to Class Change and Combine up the techs that they want, but I think it will be well worth it in the end.... for no good raisin.... mmmm, raisins.
boyachi

Member #92

Apr 25, 2004 24:06

So, what happened to Camo, since I threw a...camo at Camo?
  Cuz, I still have a Camo...hmmm...
  * throws a Camo at Cheetarius *
  what just happened since I threw the Camo at Cheetarius that was supposed to hit Camo?

Sword
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Apr 26, 2004 23:34

Hey hey kids, it's me...er, LieutenantEagle! *looks around noticing no one likes the Krusty thing*

To Camo and to all other Australians (and foreigners for that matter): Dell is, in my opinion, currently the #1 company for computers in America. Although their computers are not exactly of optimum quality (to obtain that, you need to assemble it yourself), it is still WAY above average.

You know, MintMan, about throwing the HugeBomb at Camo, I shall let you have the honors.

* gives MintMan a HugeBomb *

Farewell to all for the present.

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------

That's l-i-e-u-t-e-n-a-n-t
Sword
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
Mar 28, 2024 14:14 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022