Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 20, 2024 5:31 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Forum Face-Lift

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 11, 2004 15:15
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

If you look really hard, you might notice some cosmetic changes around these boards. Underlying those changes are far more far-reaching coding changes that should help out with general functionality, including speed, ease of use, and preventing post disappearances.

It will also be easier to add more boards and icons to this place and, well, change just about anything at that, not to mention making it easier to add Forum: the RPG.

To keep it short and sweet, if something really weird happens (and it should not since I was testing things as I implemented them), report it here.

As for the long and drawn out, here are all the changes that I made that I care to mention. You only have to read this if you feel left out by the forum's incredible lack of activity in recent days (and by "incredible lack of", I mean... "none").

As soon as you came in, you probably noticed the shrunken forum list. I condensed the descriptions up front and put in larger ones on the respective forum pages. I tried to get all of the descriptions fitting on one line.

Aside from the new spiffy descriptions, the forum pages have a maximum title length that can be displayed in the list of topics now; this will hopefully keep everything limited to only taking up one line and make the page much, much smaller.

Topic titles are now shown at the top of the normal body instead of the blue header. That sorta makes things easier to read. In fact, I have been cramming titles everywhere I can think of. Even when you go to post a new topic now, you are reminded in which forum you are even posting, you know, in case you are really forgetful/incompetent.

The icon displays have been fixed to always be listed in the same order for posting new topics, replies, and edits; and buttons and their respective icons are now always on the same line. This was a big problem before. A new, expanded smiley code has been made as well. I can rig up a display for that whenever I feel like it Tongue

I am not quite certain, but I may have found the cause of all those posts just being deleted; I am not sure, however, since it would have to do with idiot members deleting old topics they had made for no good reason. I used to only keep one post count when I should have been --and now do-- keep two seperate ones, one that keeps track of how many topics actually exist on a board and one for the current numbered index of where new posts should be made.

Did you actually read that whole thing? Wow, you must be bored. I would give you a giant pie if I were not so very evil.
boyachi

Member #92

Apr 11, 2004 23:04
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I kinda noticed it but figured it was from my Aol update. Good to know that it isn't screwing with page sizes. The topic on the reply page should help me, maybe, if I can remember what all was said that I wish to reply to. BUT why have you forsaken me? I adopted the poliwrath symbol for my signature to be one of a kind! Now it could be...un-unique! Horrors!

The Summer of the Dawn is here. However, Summer of the New Dawn shall be approaching... this summer.
Battalon127

Member #25

Apr 12, 2004 13:53
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yes, I am very bored, thanx for noticing. And Boyachi, I'm sure you can find a new icon to be your unique signature image. Maybe you can make one, like the one I just made.

Edit: LOL, I just saw the disclaimer on the posting screen. Nice.

Try to win, lose if you must, but always cheat. ~Mamminal (a kid in my class)

Donuts... is there anything they can't do? ~Homer Simpson

[Editted by Battalon127 on Apr 12, 2004 13:54]
Camo

Member #5

Apr 13, 2004 3:57
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wow, thought there was bit of a change.
  When the post icons came up I stared there thinking there where new smilys, but now, just more compact, or less compact, I dunno.
LieutenantEagle

Member #27

Apr 17, 2004 14:31
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wow. At first, I thought that the size and speed were different because of my new computer, but now I know better.

Yes, Camo, it's a Dell, so stop poking me with that virtual stick of yours.

Umm...anyhow, I haven't been appearing around Reality's End (or around anywhere on the Internet, for that matter) mainly because of my faltering health. I just have two more months of torture of my initial chemotherapy and then I'm on general maintenance! Woohoo! On the downside, however, due to the fact that my medications caused severe side effects, I might need to continue several not-fun procedures (i.e. daily shots) for awhilst until the doctors say that it's fine.

But anyhow.....that's some excellent work that you completed on the forum page, MintMan. ¡Felicidades!

LieutenantEagle

President of the SMFC
  Super Mario Fan Club

-----------

That's l-i-e-u-t-e-n-a-n-t
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 18, 2004 22:27

Well, um... yes..... yaaaayyy? You are not making for an especially easy thing to reply to here, Eagle.... sooooo I shall do the only thing I know how: waste time.

* because he is such a pimp, fabricates a HugeBomb with Camo's name on it *
  Heh, surprised anyone? I am not just wasting time, this HugeBomb actually has purpose. I dunno if if LE will be back any time soon, but whenever he is... * gives LieutenantEagle a HugeBomb and the honors of blasting Camo * he can throw this mug at Camo's head.... or a wandering n00b. I would believe each to give the same satisfaction.

Yeah, new RP commands are out, with a whole new format. Now, instead of heading a new-line with a colon which made everyone just Tongue instead of something useful, asterisks are part of the standard notation.
  So, anywhere in your post -- not just at the beginning of a new-line -- put an asterisk and a colon, like this: *:
  Right after the colon, stick the RP command, such as: *:pick:
  And then close the whole thing up with another asterisks, and you are done! *:pick:*
  Of course, you can still stick descriptions in after the commands, but now you can do it for anything, even when it makes no sense!

Easiest thing to do is click the new Open FtRPG Console at the bottom, which should bring up a page with a big select box at the bottom. In it, you will find new commands, their formats, plus your inventory and potential targets. Now, no one has an excuse for not doing something write, 'cause I got something on the reply page that'll do it for you!

Here is the run-down of the new commands:
  Arrow Fab [what]: The Fabricate command is the cornerstone of a lot of these things. It allows you to create a local item -- it exists in this post alone. Each member can only use this command once per topic.
  Arrow Throw [what] [at whom]: This is the reason the Fab command is so big -- you can make poo and throw it at someone! Hilarious! Of course, after you toss something, you lose it. You can also throw global items earned elsewhere.
  Arrow Catch : If you are fast enough, you can stop the damage done by a throw and earn the item as your own.
  Arrow Volley [at whom]: Just like a catch, but it must be done even faster. It instantly performs a throw at another member, but gives them less time to try and catch it.
  Arrow Eat [what]: Simply destroys an item -- nothing more. I added it only to complete the RPG world, plus I figured it would lead to some hilarity.
  Arrow Give [whom] [what]: Give a member an item of yours; global items stay global, and local items stay local.
  Arrow Plant [what kind of tree] [number of fruit (optional)]: Another old command with a new twist! Now, fruit is born on the tree at the rate of one for every other reply made after it was planted. Now there will not be any more bum rushes to get the fruit off of a tree. Boo-yeah!
  Arrow Pick : You know what this one does...

Well, I hope you enjoy the new, stupid commands that are part of the RE Forums. To end the first official reply made with this system, let me just say * eats a virtual CrazyMai *

[Editted by MintMan on Apr 18, 2004 22:29]
Sword
Camo

Member #5

Apr 19, 2004 1:13
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

A dell? whats that?
  *pokes LE with 2 virtual sticks*

You going through chemo? hey? Can I have some?
  Frenzal did a song bout chemotherapy, its pretty good, you should download it.
MadGoblin

Member #2

Apr 19, 2004 12:08

Camiomilad, that just ain't coo'. I've recently lost a great aunt who went threw tons of chemo and junk, so in saying those things, I think that you are asking for a challeeeeeennnnnnngggggggeeeeee!!!
  Hwadahwadahey! * throws a virtual Anti-noob at Camo *

Really, I did this because I had a total of "blaser" Anti-noobs instead of a number, so I wonder what will happen.
  * watches as RE breaks and he causes an internet fire *
  Ono!

Lair of Mad Goblin - Why be sane?

Sword
Battalon127

Member #25

Apr 19, 2004 13:28

I gotta play with this a bit. * eats a virtual radioactive * Sweet, I'm glowing... I don't feel so gooooooood... skin... peeling... stomach... dissolving...

I spose I shouldn't make fun of radiation sickness... Sorry.

Try to win, lose if you must, but always cheat. ~Mamminal (a kid in my class)

Donuts... is there anything they can't do? ~Homer Simpson
Sword
boyachi

Member #92

Apr 19, 2004 22:11

You have no Camo to throw -- check your inventory
  Drat! that's no fun at all. You should be able to through people! Hmm...
  * fabricates a Camo stunt double *
  Wow! What have I done...

The Summer of the Dawn is here. However, Summer of the New Dawn shall be approaching... this summer.
Sword
Battalon127

Member #25

Apr 20, 2004 13:53

* throws a virtual Camo at boyachi * There. I have a Camo. Watch him fly... Big Smile

"I've always liked helping people"
  "No Kelso, you like humping people"
  "Sometimes humping IS helping, Eric"
   ~Eric Forman and Kelso, That 70's Show

If something's too hard, give it up. The moral is, never try. ~Homer Simpson
Sword
LeeTupper

Member #42

Apr 20, 2004 14:46

Now people can catch and eat thrown poo...

What is this arcane desert?- My current english teacher
  Do I dare ask why this looks like a potato chip?-my 7th grade english teacher, with a destroyed piece of homework
draggy1234

Member #97

Apr 20, 2004 18:59
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Wow, with all these new commands, things are definitely going to get interesting... By the way, with the catch and volley commands, how is "fast" measured? Like in terms of posts after the action, or in clock time?

I might as well try some of these actions out.

* plants a ftRPG tree banner *
  * fabricates a rockball *

[Editted by MintMan on Apr 20, 2004 22:21]
Sword
boyachi

Member #92

Apr 20, 2004 21:06

* catches the Camo *
  hey, wheres the rockball?
  hmmm...

Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 20, 2004 22:31

Whoa, I accidentally had the tree-plant output replaced with debug information. Well, I got that all fixed up now, and please remember that you cannot put spaces in item names! Spaces equal description. Now there are just a bunch of ftRPGs going around...

Anywho, you do not have a Rock Ball because you did not make a Rock Ball, now did you? That is your inventory that you see in the console, not everybody's. You would need the Steal command in order to get his Rock Ball.

Volleying must be done on the very next post; you get four posts to do a catch. Volleying also reduces catch time by one.
  I was also considering making an Intercept command, which would be like a special catch other people could do to grab thrown items, but that probably just adds too much craziness. I get the feeling that no throw would ever go completed if that were to be added....
Camo

Member #5

Apr 21, 2004 24:48

The song is pretty much bout how much bout all the bad things bout chemo, and rips off people who have issues with people going through treatment.

I've got a blaser of noob blasters too.

and just remember with all these Camo's flying round, there is only one real one Big Smile
Battalon127

Member #25

Apr 21, 2004 13:34

Rockball!? *perks up* Throw the rockball throwtheballthrowtheballthrowtheballthrowtheball THROW THE ROCKBALL!!! (Yeah, I have a dog)

These new commands seem to have attracted a little attention to this forum, but the rest of the forums are stagnating. The gym leader's forum and Elite forum may actually be starting to grow moldy... I only hope things will pick up during the summer.

"I've always liked helping people"
  "No Kelso, you like humping people"
  "Sometimes humping IS helping, Eric"
   ~Eric Forman and Kelso, That 70's Show

If something's too hard, give it up. The moral is, never try. ~Homer Simpson
Sword
draggy1234

Member #97

Apr 21, 2004 17:21
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

OK, and with catching and volleying, is there a chance that those actions will fail? You said that volleying would reduce catch time by one, so I'm assuming that if you fail to volley, then you would have less time to catch the thrown item, right?

And now to think about what to do with my rockball... Slanted Mouth
boyachi

Member #92

Apr 21, 2004 17:59

Ida know, should I catch draggy1234 off guard and smack him with the aid of my trusty camo, or should I just EAT camo? MWA HA HA HA HA!!!
  (I wish I could throw him at everyone at the same time, kinda an up for grabs thing)
  * picks a virtual ftRPG *

Sword
MintMan

Member #1

Apr 21, 2004 19:42

No, actions cannot fail no matter what. The way FtRPG works, everything must be reduplicable through every pass and reload of the page.
  If you cannot volley, you will receive an error message as of such and your post will not be made until you remove the errant volley attempt; same thing goes for trying to catch or volley when nothing was thrown at you.

Volley on next post or don't volley at all; simple as that.

Yeah, this post has brought a little attention back to the forums as I had anticipated, but... I dunno. Maybe more attention will come when I start doing things again. Luckily, the Relentless campaign is doing quite well. Lemme think... Bestiary Warrior, FtRPG, Arena Terrae: Remix, and at least two other future projects quite planned out... if that don't kick-start the forums, then nothing will!
  * realizes that nothing will *
  Awww.... Frown
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2  3 
Apr 20, 2024 5:31 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022