Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Mar 28, 2024 14:37 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Stuff to 'spect

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 27, 2003 1:10
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Well, there is gonna be some stuff to expect from this site in the coming four months. The most notable of these is.... a-nuthing!

That is quite right, reading peoples. No new subject matter is going to be coming to Reality's End over the next four months, just revisions on old stuff.

Why would this happen, one may ask oneself. I shall give one the answer.
  With the college I am associated with -- the University of Toledo -- engineering majors, such as your webmaster here, are required to take three co-operative experiences, alternating between normal semesters, in which they work for a company related to their chosen field.
  Pretty much, I'm a paid intern.... hooray!

Here is where it starts to suck. I have not yet started work for them, so I do believe I am still free to say I am shipping off to Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, to work for a division of Intel. Once I am working for them, I can barely even mention their name without a huge disclaimer about how their opinion is not my own. Bah!
  Also unbeknownst to me is how far in depth their intellectual property stuff runs. They get free license to all of my intellectual property -- not just computer related ones as I had previously believed -- save ones I specifically forbid them on a list (which could never be done to completion with as much stuff as I have, but I can try). That sucks.
  It sucks more. While employed, anything I create is instantly theirs. Well, there is a thing about "forseeable future", but since most of the things I do are programming-related, I am sure they could snag me.

So there is the pinch. For the next four months, everything I do is theirs. I am not giving up a blutty thing, of course. I shall have to wait until my employment is up in May to release any new games to Reality's End. I shall, however, be able to update old ones quite a bit. From the way I am looking at it, eight hours of work and eight hours of sleep leave eight for little more than drawing BD. Of course, I have a ton of ideas for games right now, and all of them will have to ball up and be released after the time is over. Sure, by all right, they would belong to my employer since they own everything I make, but if I do not release it, they cannot prove a thing! Suckas!.... unless they read this.... Yeah, right.

So that gives you a little background on what I am going to be doing. I was expecting all sorts of craziness to ensue starting the new year, but it looks contrariwise.
boyachi

Member #92

Dec 27, 2003 1:40
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

everything you create eh? Let em try to take this...them you can give them what you created that you stockpiled in your toilet. What $#!T indeed. I am going to start a sitdown. Let every member stay glued to their computer chairs until may! i really haveta pee
Soon, the time will come. The Summer of the Dawn.
Camo

Member #5

Dec 27, 2003 4:47
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Does this mean more work on BD in particular the RPG?

Well gotta say that does suck quite a bit Mintman, make sure you get yourself a lawyer or something now that your playing with the big boys.

Since I go to your site, wich is your idea thus belongs to Intel, in part am I just one of the many Intel own?
Frenzal Rhomb - The greatest band ever
THE SHINY THINGS - My webby, come join the forum, its not incredibly absene or nothing, no way!
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 28, 2003 24:10

No no, Intel will not own this site or any of its contents. If I decide to add more games to it during this time, they will get those.

Intel just gets free license to pre-existing property prior to my hiring, not ownership, unless I specifically list it. Earlier this year when I did an inventory of my game ideas and other properties, I had about forty or so, which is difficult to submit in list form, but even harder when you consider every little short story and piece of artwork that I have made, which is also intellectual property no matter how unlikely it is to be used by Intel.

My main concern is if Intel ever goes Microsoft and decides to get in on the gaming industry which is getting bigger every day. That would get them plausible rights to snatch up any gaming creation I did not forbid them, so I gotta be thorough.
BDRPG? Hmmm, it is possible, Camo. That would be an entirely pre-existing script; the only thing I really have to make for it is terrain data files. Since the plot is (largely) spelled out on paper already, it is quite secured by copyright.

Eh, we shall see.
Camo

Member #5

Dec 28, 2003 24:55
Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I think the BD RPG is fine how it is, I just want more places, baddies and items etc, also more buying and selling would be coolies too!
Frenzal Rhomb - The greatest band ever
THE SHINY THINGS - My webby, come join the forum, its not incredibly absene or nothing, no way!
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 28, 2003 2:45

Well, that is all that needs added to it, the data files.

See, the BD RPG works on a massive script built for reading tiny scripts which read even smaller map scripts.
  There is the standard non-RPG which every plays now that only has treasure hunting and a few areas in it, never going beyond level one. It is meant only for training up familiars spells, really, and gettings a bit of RPG boo-tay.

Then there are the storyline RPGs, which will number up to twenty-four (one for every Futhark rune). Of the twenty-four, only about six have actual plots, so as you can see, this is a venture that will consume the course of most this site's life. The first of these adventures is BDRPG F:ATE. It has a definate beginning, ends, and storyline in between chock full of non-linearality. It is quite possibly the only storyline with any plot at all written down beyond a cover jacket.
  If I were to say any one thing about the story, it would be ruining something or the other. And do not let that make you think it is good; it prolly ain't.
Lugia7777

Member #79

Dec 29, 2003 24:50
Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
  Hash: SHA1

Geez. I didn't know that Intel was THAT cruel to their interns. So,
  wait a sec. You're saying that while you're working with Intel, any
  stories or artwork that you make for your site, no matter how small,
  belongs to them??? Personally, I wouldn't dare give up my rights to
  my creations for being an intern. Now, I don't want to deprive you of
  money, but I'm just saying that that's unfair to you. You'd be living
  in fear that anything you make or improve for Reality's End would fall
  into Intel's hands. Worse, they could even make a site that would
  rival or even be superior to yours, copying your ideas and entering
  the gaming world with your ideas! I'm just worried about you,
  MintMan. Take care.

- --Lugia7777

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
  Version: PGP 8.0.3 - not licensed for commercial use: www.pgp.com

iQA/AwUBP+/Alyaouhu70mSmEQKjVQCfRI
  tL43m8DYgcW2oeStbWDIEnp+oAoKGI
  thJdu7+jaGZCxPEsZ5wc8JCi
  =ihes
  -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

(Your st00p0d text was warping the page -KK)

[Editted by MintMan on Dec 29, 2003 10:46]
msanis

Member #7

Dec 29, 2003 8:56
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

First ya go to College. After practicing it a bit you make a hobby. As you begin to like it, you make some pretty cool stuff. Then you get a job, and they steal all of your ideas, giving you a mere McDonalds $0.50 gift card.

No offense Mint, but... I don't think they'll be taking anything; even if they did find anything! Unless you have built some major 3D online game (that I have not yet seen), there is little to worry about. You see Minty, you make some pretty nice MUDs and text games and all that stuff; but, they're all interested in 3D games with friggin' crazy graphics!!! The most I could really see them being interested in, is any of the storyline that you may have; as well as the compiled amount of creatures.

They may take the site, but what on earth could they possibly do with it!? If you are truly worried about this though, and don't want them to ever find this... then Never EVER (FOREVER) go on to this site while you're there. That is really their only way of finding it... unless they invaded your home computer...
The insignia of the Apocalypse engraved upon his blade. the day approaches...
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 29, 2003 10:53

I dun really think you people understand. I am not worried about them taking any of the things I have coded; I am more worried about my ideas.

Anything that already exists on this site (and this site included) are completely protected, too. Just anything new I make while employed can be claimed as their own if it pertains to their "forseeable future", which could be stretched to mean "anything at all" for legal reasons
  Old stuff I leave unclaimed they can take rights to, although not ownership of.

It is not for interns, too; it is for all Intel employees. The only thing that changes with different levels of Intel employees are wages; it is entirely egalitarian -- everyone is equal. Everyone even has the same type of cubicle... which in actuality is not a cubicle, but still.
  If I would have known that they had a clause that was so wide sweeping, I woulda never signed up. It is a little late for that now, tho'. I thought I would only have to give up inventions relating to circuitry and stuff I would actually be working on, and I have no problem with that. Once they start being able to sell off properties like Kalyn and the Sword from the Moon, tho', I start gettin' some problems.
MadGoblin

Member #2

Dec 29, 2003 12:02

I'm with MS. Ems has gone looney in my opinion! Oh well, if he's not gonna be makin' anything for BD in that time, I don't think there's anything against me makin' stuff! Bwa-ha-ha! Prepare for the onslaught of shapelessly bland creatures!

P.S. : Crazy!
Lair of Mad Goblin - Why be sane?

msanis

Member #7

Dec 29, 2003 14:38
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Yay! Blandness is good! *throws a bland party!*

Hmmm.. you actually have a point. Minty. Though, technically, they wouldn't have to know about these ideas you have... I mean, you could just keep the ideas to yourself... for the time being.
The insignia of the Apocalypse engraved upon his blade. the day approaches...
Lugia7777

Member #79

Dec 29, 2003 20:53

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
  Hash: SHA1

True, you can just hide your new ideas in the janitor's closet
  (figuratively) while they're not looking. After May, you can just
  sneak it out of there and post it up. As the coach in The Waterboy
  said, "What Mama don't know won't hurt her."

Yes, I do understand that they cannot take your site away. It's just
  that not developing anything for a while... Eesh, Reality's End would
  seem weird with your absence of anything new (unlike my site, which is
  collecting lots of dust, except my blog). Well, I guess you can just
  go look through your web site and put any stuff in there into your
  list.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
  Version: PGP 8.0.3 - not licensed for commercial use: www.pgp.com

iQA/AwUBP/DaPyaouhu70mSmEQJwSQC
  gjr60jgcVP136rLbpTSpoPeSn1lYAoN7I
  DYyMUJ/jzwsHJ3VAOvo2NYne
  =rl0o
  -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Edit by Ems (What is up with PGP?)

[Editted by MintMan on Dec 29, 2003 23:51]
boyachi

Member #92

Dec 29, 2003 22:19

ha ha ha editted by mintman on someone else's post! priceless!!!
  you know, magneto wears a metal helmet and that keeps people from probing in his mind and taking his ideas, so why not fashion up a good tin foil hat? or just coat that inside of your favorite hat w/tin foil! Might be hard to go through airport security...but hey, in theory, your ideas would be safe.
Soon, the time will come. The Summer of the Dawn.
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 29, 2003 23:54

Well, his helmet is a lot more special than plain ol' metal to keep people outta his thoughts.

Anyway, yes, updates will come to this site, just no new games. Sucks, too, 'cause I have a mess of them I wanted to make. Well, I guess I could try making AT:Special, since that is technically a property I already own and it would not be considered new.

I thought all I would be able to do was draw, but now even that is looking hard. My new compy will not have Photoshop on it, so I have to buy it before I can do much of anything. Ew, no drawings. That really limits possibilities.
Lugia7777

Member #79

Dec 30, 2003 1:00

Actually, it's just a signature to ensure that it was me and not some imposter who posted that message. But anyway, if it does annoy you, I won't use it. Um, yeah, PGP. I can give you a copy of my public key, if you wish, so that you can send encrypted e-mails to me (why you want to e-mail me is beyond me, but hey, I'm giving you the ability to do so discreetly).

The problem with signing my messages is that they don't validate. In other words, when I post my message, the message board in some way modified the text itself (could be some HTML code added to the text). Which sucks, considering that I'm beginning to grow fond of PGP.

Odd, I thought you had a Photoshop CD with you, unless it came preinstalled with your other computer. Oh well. You should try some places where they will give you a discount for being a college student (oh the advantages of being in college, apart from being able to vote and go clubbin'). No, not that kind of clubbin', Ems. *gestures MintMan to put his club down on the floor and not on Lugia*

Well, hope to see you soon, MintMan. One more "shameless plug," though. Get PGP!

--Lugia7777

edit: Hey, maybe that tin-foil thing really does work. I've also seen it in the movie Signs. Might as well try it. *dons aluminum captain's hat*

[Editted by Lugia7777 on Dec 30, 2003 1:02]
MintMan

Member #1

Dec 30, 2003 2:31

Tin foil is for aliens, not mutants. They are trickier.

Validator, eh? Huh, wacky. I just wonder why it puts that text in such long, unbroken strings. That will warp any forum page, not just mine. I know other mods do not care for unnecessary stretching.

Yeah, I have PhotoDeluxe, but it will not install on an XP computer. Unfortunately, I am up-grading to XP for my computer while Gobbo keeps our old machine.
  I am gonna hafta find a place to buy PhotoShop 7 or something like it. It has that cool Save For Web feature which makes wicked-low memory GIFs. Its despeckling functionality kinda sucks, but I guess I can adjust.
Lugia7777

Member #79

Dec 30, 2003 3:42

Actually, that random garbage at the end of one of my signed messages is the result of a hash being applied to a message. I noticed, however, that in most cryptographic forums and all newsgroups, PGP signatures do validate. It even pretty much keeps the formatting that the person puts in, right down to hard line breaks. Dunno why it has problems here. Oh well.

Actually, there are many resources for PGP. Here's one: Tom McCune's PGP Page. Meh, just wanted to spread the word about it. Maybe I should make a link in my sig to point to my public key, in case anyone here has PGP and decides to send me an e-mail.

Actually, a titanium-steel alloy could be a good metal for an anti-brainwave helmet (just speculating).

Hmmm... Photoshop 7, huh? Yeah, I do have it. Wish I could give you a copy of it, plus Flash MX, for Christmas (got it through my school for my Media Graphics class). Well, talk to you later, MintMan.

--Lugia7777
MadGoblin

Member #2

Jan 3, 2004 3:20

Just so ya'll know, the Ems left this morning and sadly arrived in one piece. Boo. The good news is that I'll not see him for months. Hooray.

The bad news is that he may be computer stranded for some time. So, I laugh at him. Hee hee!
Lair of Mad Goblin - Why be sane?

Camo

Member #5

Jan 3, 2004 7:40

Is this when we start to do all the hate Mintman posts all over the forum?
draggy1234

Member #97

Jan 3, 2004 12:56
Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Until he comes back and checks them, and then everybody gets in trouble.
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1  2 
Mar 28, 2024 14:37 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022