Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 18, 2024 21:39 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Who likes playing in the MUDs?

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 16, 2003 21:48
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Multi-User Dungeons/Dimensions, that is. They are text-based on-line multi-player RPGs that allow you to do just about anything you type (so long as they are programmed in).
  Player amounts can be large or small, and heavy moderation keeps idiots out. Best of all, they are free.

I used to play one called Legends and Lore with a friend of mine as a Dwarven Cleric named Folbin. That was years ago, though. I really have wanted to get back into the MUDding scene. I even have my own CircleMUD that I have been modifying heavily. It will most likely never see anyone playing it, however, or at least until I actually purchase and run my own server

It is hard finding a good MUD, however. So many of them are just stock, and lots are just plain unoriginal (if they did not come from AD&D, then they were just stolen from some other game).

So, know of any good ones? I have not looked in a while, but I would like to see what you guys know of.
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Aug 17, 2003 6:08
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Uh oh, don't remind Nuotrainer about *hits self to keep from saying the name*
NuoTrainer

Member #33

Aug 18, 2003 2:28
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Too late. As a matter of fact, it's been too long since I've had any decent amount of time to spend immersed in a MUD...
  What with:
  - getting ready for college
  - editing for the Chrono Trigger Novel
  - lurking around IRC
  plus:
  - writing Lugia's battler
  - hacking the GBC game "Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon"
  - watching anime
   I wonder how I get anything done...

But, I can tell you the best and largest MUD you'll find is one called Medievia (medievia.com:4000) - it's huge, and there's always something new to do. The only reason I never got around to joining a clan there is because I didn't (and still don't) have time to log in regularly...
Anta ga otosh'ta no wa Kin no Ono ka na?
Arlen

Member #107

Aug 28, 2003 1:32
Master Account R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

(Well, I'm not completely dead...)

I've been on and off MUDs for awhile now, but at last, I've gotten back into that sort of gaming quite recently, actually. I blame it on Redemption MUD(dot com). It's not much, but on the plus side, I find it quite amusing that you can eat the severed body parts of some of your slain enemies.

Hmm. Could you do that in every MUD? I can't quite remember.
-Arlen
  "Cheers!"
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 28, 2003 9:46
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

No, you cannot.

In the MUDs I have been playing, they will not even let me devour slain birds. C'mon!

I like Adom (not a MUD, but still good) where you can eat anything, but it will probably make you sick.

Redemption, eh? I shall have to check that out. I have been going between these two (one really, since no one is ever on the other -- I mean it, too. Not even the imp). I am trying to check out Circle MUDs since that is what I have downloaded the source for, and I do not even know how they work
NuoTrainer

Member #33

Aug 29, 2003 4:29
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I say if you want to eat corpses play NetHack ^^
  In Medievia you have to sacrifice a corpse to remove it from the game.

CircleMUD, huh? Thinking of starting your own? That would rock, especially if there was BD involved...
  Maybe even Pokemon (have there been any Poke-MUDs before? I never checked)
Anta ga otosh'ta no wa Kin no Ono ka na?
MadGoblin

Member #2

Aug 29, 2003 7:01

There's only one true Poke-MUD, and it's suckier than suck! All the others are MUSHes and MUCKs, which aren't as cool as MUDs.

Anyhoo, the PokeMUD is a terrible hack-n-slash play style, and you can't even capture/raise pokemon in it. It's more of just set in the world and the enemies are pocket monsters
Lair of Mad Goblin - Why be sane?

Arlen

Member #107

Aug 30, 2003 14:36
Master Account R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I've been to that one before. Well, actually, the website for it. It wouldn't let me onto the MUD server.

You know, MadGoblin just gave me an idea. (Scary, isn't it?) Someone should make a decent Pokémon MUD! Hmm. Perhaps I'll be the hero to do it.

Tch. That'll take a few years. It's not that I don't have the time; it's just that I only play MUDs. I don't have a clue on how to make my own. Well, here's to hoping there's a decent tutorial out there which can tell me how to do so.
-Arlen
  "Cheers!"
MadGoblin

Member #2

Aug 30, 2003 20:26

Yeah, a good PokeMUD would really be quite easy. Plenty of MUDs have a pet system where things obey you and a bunch have summoning. The reason no one makes one is, well, why? If someone were to make something that'd take that much effort (it'd be easy, sure, why creational standards. MUDs always take effort, tho'), they'd probably want it to be something original and more self-glorifying. Plus, you know, people always say "Pokemon is dead! Blarg!"

Yeah, tell that to its still millions of fans.

Frankly, I've always felt BD would be cool in MUD form. Mainly 'cuz there would be an almost limitless amount of monster due to the lack of their visuals. Look at the Bestiary. ALL of those could be in it. Sweetness, anyone?
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Sep 5, 2003 11:54
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Aug 30, 2003 20:26, MadGoblin said:

Plus, you know, people always say "Pokemon is dead! Blarg!"

Yeah, tell that to its still millions of fans.

In a vain attempt to try and make it die, they do.
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 18, 2024 21:39 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022