Planetfall BWEND
Planetfall BWRELEND
HomeRELENDREF
HomeBDREF
SABDREF
Planetfall Planetfall SABD
It's To-Po!

Site Games Miscellaneous /
Apr 23, 2024 21:56 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Forums :: Reality's End Classic :: Pokemon + AOL = o.O;

<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
NuoTrainer

Member #33

Aug 6, 2003 5:55
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Lugiatrainer's been bugging me for a long time to help him code a Chat PBS for AOL that doesn't suck (though I believe any sentence with the words 'AOL' and 'doesn't suck' is by definition an oxymoron). By "help him" I mean he finds me data and I make something resembling a program with it ^^;;
  Well, it's been a while since I wrote anything useful, so I decided to take him up on it - right now I'm just at the part where I discover I need to write another program just to help the first one get started (no WAY am I gonna type an entire data index of all 251 pokes by HAND )

So, I suppose I'll use this topic to seek advice in the coding of battle-simulator-like-things...

Anta ga otosh'ta no wa Kin no Ono ka na?

[Editted by NuoTrainer on Aug 6, 2003 5:55]
msanis

Member #7

Aug 6, 2003 8:38
E-Mail Master Account Battling Dragons Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

I think I know what your talking about, I used to play those...

But then I saw it was stupid and now HATE them!

Code? yea... I may know some C++, and a little bit of stuff to make sprites move.... but what you're asking is totally different... I think
The insignia of the Apocalypse engraved upon his blade. the day approaches...
MintMan

Member #1

Aug 6, 2003 11:36
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

A chat PBS for AOL? You mean using AIM or something? I do not have AOL, so I would not know if its "service" granted any other capabilities.

Quite frankly, the best way to program a Pokemon sim would be with C++. Scripting languages have to define all the Pokes every time it is loaded. A compiled program would have all the data already there just waiting to be accessed. For my consideration of remaking PBS in C, that is how things are jiving.

But coding all 251 Pokes? Dag, yo. That is just too much. Yeah, definately get some lackey to do that grunt work for you.
NuoTrainer

Member #33

Aug 7, 2003 19:54
E-Mail Web Site Master Account Battling Dragons R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

Hm, yeah I know C would be best, but the Chat functions I have been provided with are in Visual Basic. Personally I don't think AOL deserves the time it would take to change all of them to C ^^

The way it'll work (I think) is you run the program while connected to AOL (not ever happening in MY box so Lugia's got to test everything for me) and connect to a chatroom, then set your team and issue a challenge. I'm not entirely sure how it works after that, so I'll get back to my data and let Lugiatrainer fill me in.
  I've got a plan for the data though. I'll write a program to quickly enter pokemon information into (name, types, base stats, move compatibility) and have it save all the info in a file. Then the first program will be able to load this file when it starts up...
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Aug 7, 2003 21:10
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

On Aug 7, 2003 21:10, Lugiatrainer said:

On Aug 6, 2003 11:36, MintMan said:
  But coding all 251 Pokes? Dag, yo. That is just too much. Yeah, definately get some lackey to do that grunt work for you.

Well, seeing as I'm the one who most wants it finished, I'll be handling that part, I just need to have an idea of how it all needs to be arranged when I make it...

Anyone who uses AOL should be able to run the actual program, and anyone who uses AIM should be able to battle someone who has AOL through a chat

I think I have compiled a list of all legal moves for about 248...I think I'm missing a few strays where I accidentally deleted their entire list and then saved. *sighs*

It'd make it a bit harder to do, but I'd like to be able to choose between a RBY battle and a GSC one. :\

[Editted by Lugiatrainer on Aug 7, 2003 21:25]
NuoTrainer

Member #33

Aug 8, 2003 24:27

Alright, now, don't strain yourself over the move lists too much.
  For each pokemon there will be an input box for species name, base stats and then a number for each move in the game, defaulting to 0. All you have to do is enter codes into the move boxes like so:
  0 - Can not learn, ever.
  1 - learns by leveling, RBY
  2 - learns by Machine, RBY
  3 - learns by leveling, GSC
  4 - learns by Machine, GSC
  5 - learns by breeding, GSC
  6 - Stadium Gift (Pikachu|Surf, etc)
  It will then be very simple to check and see if, say, a Metallic-only breed move is being combined with a Chromatic TM, which is quite impossible. Remember that if it can learn in more than one way, the lowest number takes priority (for example, a move it can learn by breeding *or* GSC TM will not be counted against RBY moves)
  That program should be finished fairly quickly, as all I have to do is throw in some input boxes and type a quick routine for saving them all in a file. When done you should be able to use it to produce the data file for the main battler.

Now as to how it works... I'm still not sure how the other ones worked, as it's been awhile since I saw you on them - how does the other guy pick his moves, or does he? Now I know the infamous IRC battler GSBot let you do stuff like that, but I never saw it on your AOL ones.
  I should probably write a sub for parsing the other guy's pokemon selection, like taking

NnT042 > [Quagsire / M / 15|15|15|15 / Surf|Earthquake|Rain Dance|Ice Beam] 

and changing it into data ready to run through the moveset checker...
Lugiatrainer

Member #20

Aug 8, 2003 13:18
Master Account Battling Dragons Shadow Aura Endless Night's Dream R.E. League Reply w/ Quote Edit Post

What about the machine in Stadium 2 that allows a pokemon to 'remember' moves?

I'd be able to say what it can and can't do, but I've never beaten the 1337s with just my own...

Note to self: Try overuse of ubers.

I checked a chat and this should fit in one send:
  NnT042 > [Charmeleon / M / 15|15|15|15 / Ancient Power|Ancient Power|Ancient Power|Ancient Power]

Yeah, it's an impossible case, but I wanted to use long names

[Editted by Lugiatrainer on Aug 8, 2003 13:29]
NuoTrainer

Member #33

Aug 8, 2003 17:37

Since that machine goes above all other ways to learn things, it'd get like a -1 or something...
<- Prev Post   -   Next Post ->
Page:  1 
Apr 23, 2024 21:56 ESTReply | Topic List | Forums List | Edit Profile | Help | Sign Up

Copyright © 1999-2022